wubsy's Sydney thread

Talk on the national game

Re: Sydney Swans 2015

Postby Wedgie » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:30 am

Saw this quote in the context of the current discussion and couldn't agree more:
"The problem with racists is they genuinely believe they aren't racist"
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2022 times
Been liked: 3866 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:57 am

whufc wrote:What do people do think of Goodes indefinite leave

Obviously if he feels he can't play than he is more than in his rights to not play

The unfortunate otherwise to this though is I now think this issue is going to drag on even longer and the media will now focus on his return and the crowd reactions when that happens

Personally I would think this week would have been a good oppurtunity for him to play and for the country to see the boos stop and in fact he may have even been applauded (the last thing I think Adelaide fans will be thinking of doing is booing Goodes)

But obviously if his not mentally prepared then he can't be made to play which is fair enough

I would've thought that the SCG would've been a bit of a "safe haven" for him and he could get on with enjoying his footy again, but then I'm not Adam Goodes so I wouldn't know.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby morell » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:02 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:I would've thought that the SCG would've been a bit of a "safe haven" for him and he could get on with enjoying his footy again, but then I'm not Adam Goodes so I wouldn't know.
If only more people took this standpoint.
morell
Coach

Has liked: 2017 times
Been liked: 1138 times
Grassroots Team: Mitchell Park

Postby bennymacca » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:31 pm

Obviously if he feels he can't play than he is more than in his rights to not play

The unfortunate otherwise to this though is I now think this issue is going to drag on even longer and the media will now focus on his return and the crowd reactions when that happens

Personally I would think this week would have been a good oppurtunity for him to play and for the country to see the boos stop and in fact he may have even been applauded (the last thing I think Adelaide fans will be thinking of doing is booing Goodes)

But obviously if his not mentally prepared then he can't be made to play which is fair enough

I find it incredibly sad.

I also think it is a stark contrast between the way Mitch Clark has been handled by crowds and Adam Goodes. Mitch Clark comes public with his depression battle and everyone handles it brilliantly.

Adam Goodes comes out and says the Booing is affecting him mentally and he is told to harden up he brought it on himself.
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Q. » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:39 pm

And what a blight on our great game, that our triumph as fans was to drive a player to quit.
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby Booney » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:40 pm

Q. wrote:And what a blight on our great game, that our triumph as fans was to drive a player to quit.

"Our" triumph? Bullshit....the people who booed played a role and not the rest of us. Don't tar us all with the same brush.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby am Bays » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:44 pm

Q. wrote:And what a blight on our great game, that our triumph as fans was to drive a player to quit.

So those of who haven't booed and don't like it are complicit in this are we?

Generalisation much
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1804 times

Postby OnSong » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:46 pm

am Bays wrote:

So those of who haven't booed and don't like it are complicit in this are we?

Generalisation much

If you want to take that comment literally and not just go along with its general gist, I think you're being a bit picky in the grand scheme of things. :lol:
Right in front of me. RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME!
OnSong
Coach

Has liked: 524 times
Been liked: 543 times

Postby bennymacca » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:49 pm

Booney wrote:

"Our" triumph? Bullshit....the people who booed played a role and not the rest of us. Don't tar us all with the same brush.

He clearly meant us as a collective crowd.
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby whufc » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:53 pm

bennymacca wrote:

I find it incredibly sad.

I also think it is a stark contrast between the way Mitch Clark has been handled by crowds and Adam Goodes. Mitch Clark comes public with his depression battle and everyone handles it brilliantly.

Adam Goodes comes out and says the Booing is affecting him mentally and he is told to harden up he brought it on himself.

Agree, I think in the main people aren't seeing this as a mental health issue moreso a controversial figure 'sooking' that his not as popular as he may have thought.

That's not my opinion but I feel it may be how bogan australia are seeing this

I'm still not convinced a high portion of people are booing for racist reasons though.

It's a sad situation where i dont think any party (Goodes, Sydney swans, afl, media, booing fans) can say they have done everything100% the right way
Last edited by whufc on Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Booney » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:56 pm

bennymacca wrote:
Booney wrote:

He clearly meant us as a collective crowd.

I understand this, but I'm not part of the "us". If you go down that line then were all racists.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Frosty » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:57 pm

Several ways of looking at this - most been brought up previously but my summary as follows;

Harassment in the workplace - The football field is Goodes place of employment. Harassment is something centered around the individual feeling harassed. I.e. I tell a funny joke that someone else takes offense to - they are entitled to feel that way and I have to change my behaviour as a result.
Employees can sue employers or fellow staff in cases like this and Goodes stepping away may actually be saving a lot of grief for a lot of people in a workers compensation or even legal environment. I'm not saying that's his only reason either.

Whether the booing is racially motivated or not I'm struggling with the ideas being put forward that all indigenous players show their support for Goodes by doing a ceremonial display during this weekend. By doing this they are actually drawing attention to the fact that it is racially motivated and for a lot of sheep out there it isn't. In the same way Richmond are wearing their indigenous round guernsey what they are saying is it is racial and highlighting that side of the debate. I'm not saying don't do it - what I am saying is anyone who wants to support Goodes, players, coaches, spectators or whoever all do it as one and don't segregate the support.

Booing - I don't boo anyone full stop. I believe it is unsportsmanlike and that's just me. I have unleashed a few double barrel sprays that would make the Hells Angels blush but I just don't do booing. Personally, I'm not the biggest fan of Goodes as a player despite the fact he has had an amazing career win the highest honour twice and being probably one of the best utilities of all time. On the flip side he does sook a bit, has performed a few sniper acts and is demonstrative toward the umpires. I've never booed Goodes but if I ever did it would be for the above reasons and if I was that way inclined then all the other snipers in the game would be copping it too including Marley Williams, Michael Firrito, Stevie J and the Hawthorn gut punchers.

Finally, I'm actually over it. The more we comment the more we feed the masses and the debate continues. There have been so many controversies in all sports since who knows when and eventually when people stop talking about it, it goes away - until the next controversery comes along. Wayne Carey is back on TV despite his indiscretions, Ablett Snr can walk the streets without his (alleged) involvement in a drug related death. While all this Goodes business is going on two Collingwood players are about to have a 2 year holiday without the slightest attention when normally it'd be front page news.

So, I've said my piece and I'm done - looking forward to Geelong smashing Brisbane this weekend and getting Motlop's signature on paper to secure his services at the Cattery.
Frosty
Under 16s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 8 times
Grassroots Team: Eastern Park

Postby whufc » Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:01 pm

http://m.smh.com.au/afl/sydney-swans/mo ... imqms.html

This would have to be the most cringeworthy article of the lot

I do believe in hindsight Adam Goodes would probably admit that he may have been able to handle this one slightly better.

I also eeer on the side that the girl may have not know the racial implications of her words

But no way in hell should be forced to apologise for being the victim of what he took as racist attack on him, he was also within his rights to handle that situation how he felt at the time and would obviously been pretty emotive
whufc
Coach

Postby Rik E Boy » Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:05 pm

Ah, the workplace that old chestnut. Might try an Aboriginal War dance when we next have some visitors in the office. Wonder what would happen?

I boo Goodes because he is a self-centered flog who is a protected species with the MRP who loves a cheap shot. I don't especially enjoy being indirectly labeled a racist just because he's a black flog that I boo. Also what doesn't go down to well is the AFL telling everyone who they can and cannot boo, it's like a red rag to a bull.

However, I don't want the guy to quit footy so count me in as a former 'booer'.

Next time sections of the crowd start to boo Goodes the people who support him should cheer. Do that for a few rounds and this controversy is over. If the AFL try to direct this then it simply won't stop. Support Goodes, cheer, drown out those that boo. Play on.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1697 times
Been liked: 1813 times

Postby cennals05 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:13 pm

I fail to see how this Australia Day speech could cause so much outrage that people feel the need to boo someone, or is it a case of Chinese whispers, with the only words left at the end being Invasion Day?

There is also an article with the full speech in it.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/a ... 7463023081
Attachments
Goodes.JPG
Goodes.JPG (136.96 KiB) Viewed 982 times
cennals05
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 146 times
Been liked: 248 times

Postby MW » Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:17 pm

Is this shit still going?
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2581 times
Been liked: 1822 times

Postby Booney » Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:21 pm

MW wrote:Is this shit still going?

Booo to you for not keeping up.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby MW » Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:22 pm

Booney wrote:

Booo to you for not keeping up.

Over it! :lol:
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2581 times
Been liked: 1822 times

Postby whufc » Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:23 pm

cennals05 wrote:I fail to see how this Australia Day speech could cause so much outrage that people feel the need to boo someone, or is it a case of Chinese whispers, with the only words left at the end being Invasion Day?

There is also an article with the full speech in it.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/a ... 7463023081

Do you/we honestly think half the people booing would have even heard his speech never mind remember snipets of it to the point it makes them feel like they need to boo him in a game.
whufc
Coach

Postby whufc » Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:23 pm

Only gonna go for a while yet until he gets back on the park and people stop booing
whufc
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL