Mike Sheahan's Teams of decades - 60's to 00's

Talk on the national game

Re: Mike Sheahan's Teams of decades - 60's to 00's

Postby Rik E Boy » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:54 pm

Just goes to show that Geelong 07-11 was the GOAT. No good players and we still won as many flags as the Brions with all that extra salary cap and not losing their coach and best player to boot. Chris Johnson over Boris Enright? Yeah right.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1697 times
Been liked: 1813 times

Postby bennymacca » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:55 pm

Rik E Boy wrote:Just goes to show that Geelong 07-11 was the GOAT. No good players and we still won as many flags as the Brions with all that extra salary cap and not losing their coach and best player to boot. Chris Johnson over Boris Enright? Yeah right.

regards,

REB

2010 to 2015 wouldn't count
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby GWW » Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:43 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:Is it just me or was Chris Grant over-rated? I thought he was a pretty good player but team of the decade good? I'm not sold.

He could play equally well at FB, CHB, CHF or FF. He was very versatile, and he'd be an unbelievably handy player to have on the bench.

Definitely not out of place in the 90's side IMO.
GWW

Has liked: 816 times
Been liked: 166 times

Postby Senor Moto Gadili » Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:03 pm

I can't help but think there is a lot of sentiment in his selections. Guys who ended up in the AFL media club seem to be given additional credits. Just had a close look at the Teams of 00's. In my opinion......

Those who are a little fortunate to be included;
Chris Johnson
Nigel Lappin
Shane Crawford
Brad Johnson
Dustin Fletcher

Those are unlucky not to be included;
Adam Goodes - had to be picked in my opinion because he is the best utility player across the decade
Corey Enright - should not be penalised because he has continue to play great footy beyond 2009. A better player than Chris Johnson in this decade.
Scott West - 7 times Best & Fairest (4 in the 00's)
Andrew McLeod - why can't he be on HBF in 90's and 00's?
Simon Goodwin - must have been very close between him and Lappin for HBF
Cousins - has to be picked if it's just about football
Senor Moto Gadili
Veteran

Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 532 times

Postby Mr Beefy » Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:15 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:The 90's team looks pretty awesome, they'd struggle if they copped any injuries to the on-ballers though, their bench looks a bit top heavy.

Is it just me or was Chris Grant over-rated? I thought he was a pretty good player but team of the decade good? I'm not sold.

No - he was a very good player. Played as a 17yo, 3 x All Aussie and all but won the 97 brownlow.
Mr Beefy
Coach

Has liked: 404 times
Been liked: 651 times
Grassroots Team: Rosewater

Postby Jim05 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:31 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:The 90's team looks pretty awesome, they'd struggle if they copped any injuries to the on-ballers though, their bench looks a bit top heavy.

Is it just me or was Chris Grant over-rated? I thought he was a pretty good player but team of the decade good? I'm not sold.

Chris Grant was a deadset gun, doesnt get the accolades he deserves purely because of the side he played for. Robbed of a Brownlow by the crooks at AFL house. Would definately be in my side
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Rik E Boy » Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:07 am

Senor Moto Gadili wrote:I can't help but think there is a lot of sentiment in his selections. Guys who ended up in the AFL media club seem to be given additional credits. Just had a close look at the Teams of 00's. In my opinion......

Those who are a little fortunate to be included;
Chris Johnson
Nigel Lappin
Shane Crawford
Brad Johnson
Dustin Fletcher

Those are unlucky not to be included;
Adam Goodes - had to be picked in my opinion because he is the best utility player across the decade
Corey Enright - should not be penalised because he has continue to play great footy beyond 2009. A better player than Chris Johnson in this decade.
Scott West - 7 times Best & Fairest (4 in the 00's)
Andrew McLeod - why can't he be on HBF in 90's and 00's?
Simon Goodwin - must have been very close between him and Lappin for HBF
Cousins - has to be picked if it's just about football

agreed
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1697 times
Been liked: 1813 times

Postby kneedeepinthehoopla » Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:23 pm

Jim05 wrote:

Chris Grant was a deadset gun, doesnt get the accolades he deserves purely because of the side he played for. Robbed of a Brownlow by the crooks at AFL house. Would definately be in my side

Correct weight
kneedeepinthehoopla
Under 16s

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 54 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:58 am

kneedeepinthehoopla wrote:
Jim05 wrote:

Correct weight

Yep, after a discussion with my brother over the weekend he reminded me of my appreciation for Grant, it all came flooding back to me, the 90's were pretty crazy times of my life and it may or may not have affected my memory.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Previous

Board index   Football  AFL