wubsy's Sydney thread

Talk on the national game

Re: Sydney Swans 2015

Postby Footy Smart » Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:25 pm

whufc wrote:
cennals05 wrote:I fail to see how this Australia Day speech could cause so much outrage that people feel the need to boo someone, or is it a case of Chinese whispers, with the only words left at the end being Invasion Day?

There is also an article with the full speech in it.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/a ... 7463023081

Do you/we honestly think half the people booing would have even heard his speech never mind remember snipets of it to the point it makes them feel like they need to boo him in a game.

Ignorance is bliss :roll:
Footy Smart
Coach

Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 118 times
Grassroots Team: Modbury

Postby Booney » Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:34 pm

whufc wrote:
cennals05 wrote:I fail to see how this Australia Day speech could cause so much outrage that people feel the need to boo someone, or is it a case of Chinese whispers, with the only words left at the end being Invasion Day?

Do you/we honestly think half the people booing would have even heard his speech never mind remember snipets of it to the point it makes them feel like they need to boo him in a game.

Absolutely, so they're booing the footballer not the political /cultural activist.

I can't believe how far out of hand this had got, not in the sense of Mr Goodes himself, I feel for him as he has taken it hard. Really hard and I can't tell him how to take it or feel about it.

There's states in the US who fly the confederate flag on state buildings, people shooting up churches because the parish are coloured.....this man gets bood for being a footballer some people don't like.

**** we're on the edge of civilisation breaking down I tell you....
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby cennals05 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:43 pm

whufc wrote:

Well people are using it as one of the excuses as to why they boo him, so obviously they have listened to his speech. If they haven't and they are using it as an excuse it just shows what ignorant sheep they are.
cennals05
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 146 times
Been liked: 248 times

Postby woodublieve12 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:43 pm

"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3016 times
Been liked: 2384 times

Postby Footy Smart » Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:47 pm

so many people are justifying their abuse 'because he is a flog'. That doesn’t cut it IMO. When challenged the arguments do come back round to being race related apart from his occasional snipes and the tribunal supposedly looking after him (his fault of course). But hey, Goodes started it by calling Australia Day, Invasion Day. Give me a break…. if that is the way the indigenous people of this country view the day, then who are we to tell them otherwise. They arent far off the truth!
Footy Smart
Coach

Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 118 times
Grassroots Team: Modbury

Postby RB » Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:52 pm

whufc wrote:I do believe in hindsight Adam Goodes would probably admit that he may have been able to handle this one slightly better.

What I see in all of this is the wider issue that indigenous Australians are expected to act perfectly all the time, whereas the white trash are permitted to behave like absolute idiots, and are routinely martyred for doing so. For me, this is the double standard involved in the Adam Goodes saga.

Perhaps it would not be such a big issue now if Goodes hadn't done the war dance, but I'm sick of the Captain Hindsights getting stuck into him for this.

There is IMO no 'correct' way of handling people racially abusing you.

Additionally, the level of abuse directed at Goodes is more vitriolic and more personal than any similar situation for a long time. No-one has had to put up with this particular type of personal abuse on the football field for a long time - who is to say whether what Goodes did was right or wrong?

I'm not having a go at any one on this forum but I think people generally need to empathise a bit more and put themselves in Goodes' shoes, then ask themselves, what would I have done? Probably all sorts of different things, but none of them would be the textbook or squeaky clean way of dealing with this sort of abuse. There isn't one.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 759 times
Been liked: 1073 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:05 pm

whufc wrote:

No, they probably haven't heard/read it. What they've heard is someone mention that he said Invasion Day in his speech, so apparently he "hates Australia" and he's "ramming Aboriginal issues down our throats".
This speech and also the fact that he won AoY and Crawf didn't have been big drivers of the indignation felt by many who are in the boo brigade.
These issues have been clearly stated for reasons people are booing him.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby OnSong » Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:14 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:
whufc wrote:

No, they probably haven't heard/read it. What they've heard is someone mention that he said Invasion Day in his speech, so apparently he "hates Australia" and he's "ramming Aboriginal issues down our throats".
This speech and also the fact that he won AoY and Crawf didn't have been big drivers of the indignation felt by many who are in the boo brigade.
These issues have been clearly stated for reasons people are booing him.

Yep, or he mentioned he "doesn't celebrate Australia Day" etc.
If it wasn't so sad it would be laughable.
Right in front of me. RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME!
OnSong
Coach

Has liked: 524 times
Been liked: 543 times

Postby Ronnie » Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:29 pm

Footy Smart wrote:so many people are justifying their abuse 'because he is a flog'. That doesn’t cut it IMO. When challenged the arguments do come back round to being race related apart from his occasional snipes and the tribunal supposedly looking after him (his fault of course). But hey, Goodes started it by calling Australia Day, Invasion Day. Give me a break…. if that is the way the indigenous people of this country view the day, then who are we to tell them otherwise. They arent far off the truth!

I think he went a lot further than using a term for the day. If I went around hectoring aborigines about their levels of tribal violence and brutality pre and post European contact I would probably not be too popular either with a section of the population. In the end what does it achieve and how on earth does reconciliation get moved forward? There have been some high and low moments in our history, but I deft anyone to look at Australia in 2015 and say we haven't done a lot right.

If the reality is that 99% of aborigines and 99% of non indigenous in 2015 are decent and want the best for their society then we have a better future to look forward to. But I think at the moment that is far from certain given we seem to get bogged down in increasingly nasty and polarizing debates.

The crowd booing is a sheep like mentality and no doubt provides cover for some idiots to vent at an indigenous guy. To what extent that is the motivation though I have no idea, and no one really does.

I personally think there are far better people around to advance reconciliation than Goodes, but that is a personal reflection.
Ronnie
Reserves

Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 84 times

Postby JK » Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:34 pm

whufc wrote:

I had a mate yesterday mention his speech to me in his anti-Goodes stance. I didn't even hear or read it at the time I don't think, as I certainly don't remember it.

Now my mate doesn't go to games so isn't part of the boo brigade but it was clear there was no sympathy, and almost in keeping with Cennals post, the only real material he brought up about Goodes' speech was that he made some sort of reference to invasion day.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4438 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Gozu » Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:05 pm

Yeah Goodes should man up and apologise to the girl who called him an ape!

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/j ... him-an-ape

Unbelievable.
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 659 times

Postby OnSong » Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:07 pm

Gozu wrote:Yeah Goodes should man up and apologise to the girl who called him an ape!

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/j ... him-an-ape

Unbelievable.

“She’d only turned 13 five days beforehand. She was technically still 12.”

W.....wut?
OnSong
Coach

Postby Gozu » Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:11 pm

I think it's pretty clear the girl doesn't come from the greatest stock.
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 659 times

Postby JK » Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:14 pm

Gozu wrote:I think it's pretty clear the girl doesn't come from the greatest stock.

Which is why the media should be held responsible for worsening the issue by going after an easy target.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4438 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby woodublieve12 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:15 pm

i find it amusing (sadly) the comments saying "he brings onto himself"

i wonder what some of their thoughts on rape... "oh she was a bit flirty, she deserved it"...

Obviously a massive difference but it's getting quite aggressive now when they say it.
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Postby woodublieve12 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:19 pm

woodublieve12
Coach

Postby woodublieve12 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:25 pm

This is good...

woodublieve12
Coach

Postby Hefty » Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:29 pm

woodublieve12 wrote:i find it amusing (sadly) the comments saying "he brings onto himself"

i wonder what some of their thoughts on rape... "oh she was a bit flirty, she deserved it"...

Obviously a massive difference but it's getting quite aggressive now when they say it.

You've now lost me. Comparing this situation to someone getting raped.........not even same ball park!
Hefty
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 133 times
Been liked: 110 times
Grassroots Team: Golden Grove

Postby OnSong » Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:31 pm

Hefty wrote:
woodublieve12 wrote:i find it amusing (sadly) the comments saying "he brings onto himself"

You've now lost me. Comparing this situation to someone getting raped.........not even same ball park!

It's a similar principle in blaming the victim for the way they were ill-treated. That's where the comparison lies. I feel like I shouldn't need to explain that though. Why does that need explaining?
OnSong
Coach

Postby Hefty » Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:33 pm

woodublieve12 wrote:

Charlie Pickering :roll: Next you'll be quoting Waleed Aly!
Hefty
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 133 times
Been liked: 110 times
Grassroots Team: Golden Grove

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL