wubsy's Sydney thread

Talk on the national game

Re: Sydney Swans 2015

Postby woodublieve12 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:34 pm

Why? Because it's the truth?
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3025 times
Been liked: 2401 times

Postby Booney » Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:38 pm

woodublieve12 wrote:
i find it amusing (sadly) the comments saying "he brings onto himself"

i wonder what some of their thoughts on rape... "oh she was a bit flirty, she deserved it"...

Obviously a massive difference but it's getting quite aggressive now when they say it.

You think! :shock:
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7493 times
Been liked: 10776 times

Postby cennals05 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:41 pm

Actually Waleed Aly did write a really good article about Michael Long and calling out racism that is quite relevant to the whole Goodes debate. Not much seems to have changed in 20 years.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/in-depth/ ... e=fullpage
cennals05
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 146 times
Been liked: 248 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:02 pm

But the backlash was firm and swift. Talkback callers accused him of over-sensitivity and questioned his manhood. He was accused of reverse racism. Former players joined in. Tony Shaw warned Long he would get "a reputation". Mal Brown could not see why racist abuse was any different to him being called fat as a player. Brown pined for the '70s, when Aborigines were taunted with "nigger, nigger pull the trigger" and "people just rose above it". Simultaneously, he claimed victimhood for white children: "There is a great fear that, with the division between us and them, our own children won't get equal opportunity."
Sam Newman argued that the insult was probably designed to do no more than distract Long, and that in any event, "Michael Long IS black".
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby woodublieve12 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:07 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:
But the backlash was firm and swift. Talkback callers accused him of over-sensitivity and questioned his manhood. He was accused of reverse racism. Former players joined in. Tony Shaw warned Long he would get "a reputation". Mal Brown could not see why racist abuse was any different to him being called fat as a player. Brown pined for the '70s, when Aborigines were taunted with "nigger, nigger pull the trigger" and "people just rose above it". Simultaneously, he claimed victimhood for white children: "There is a great fear that, with the division between us and them, our own children won't get equal opportunity."
Sam Newman argued that the insult was probably designed to do no more than distract Long, and that in any event, "Michael Long IS black".

:shock:
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Postby woodublieve12 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:43 pm

Remember when Taylor Walker got booed after the showdown, people said that was a disgrace. But apparently people don't think a continual character assassination of a bloke isn't...

double standards again...
woodublieve12
Coach

Postby Hefty » Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:52 pm

woodublieve12 wrote:Remember when Taylor Walker got booed after the showdown, people said that was a disgrace. But apparently people don't think a continual character assassination of a bloke isn't...

OK, we get it......you don't like the booing. Let me ask you this, if Goodes didn't play for Sydney would you be so anti-booing??
Hefty
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 133 times
Been liked: 110 times
Grassroots Team: Golden Grove

Postby Jase » Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:52 pm

woodublieve12 wrote:Remember when Taylor Walker got booed after the showdown, people said that was a disgrace. But apparently people don't think a continual character assassination of a bloke isn't...

So by booing someone you are assassinating their character? Because isn't that what this is about, him being boo'd, I wouldn't necessarily claim that booing is "vitriolic abuse" either...

Clearly, I am struggling to keep up here...
Jase
League - Best 21

Has liked: 1480 times
Been liked: 552 times

Postby whufc » Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:16 pm

Jase wrote:

So by booing someone you are assassinating their character? Because isn't that what this is about, him being boo'd, I wouldn't necessarily claim that booing is "vitriolic abuse" either...

Clearly, I am struggling to keep up here...

Stuff being an umpire then!!!
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5589 times
Been liked: 2530 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby woodublieve12 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:11 pm

Hefty wrote:

OK, we get it......you don't like the booing. Let me ask you this, if Goodes didn't play for Sydney would you be so anti-booing??

Booing in general doesn't bother me a great deal. I don't do it, but I get why people do to a point. But this more than that...

And bloody oath I would!
woodublieve12
Coach

Postby Sheik Yerbouti » Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:20 pm

If Goodes gets booed it won't be the people booing Goodes it'll be aimed at the sanctimonious flogs like Rebecca Wilson, Fabian Leach, Mark Robinson & every second bearded sandal wearing academic looking down their noses & ordering the great unwashed to obey them. They throw the racism card around like confetti.
The right approach came from the likes of Scott, Walker, Goddard & even Whatley who basically stated that it was about time to give the jeering a spell, football people are basically decent people & that would have been the end of it. What your common garden variety supporter (or Australian for that matter) despises is being talked down to & ordered to follow any holier than thou script demanded by those who perceive that they have the right to command to the masses.
Hey soccer you owe us 45million.
Sheik Yerbouti
League - Best 21

Has liked: 201 times
Been liked: 204 times

Postby Rik E Boy » Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:23 pm

Footy Smart wrote:so many people are justifying their abuse 'because he is a flog'. That doesn’t cut it IMO. When challenged the arguments do come back round to being race related apart from his occasional snipes and the tribunal supposedly looking after him (his fault of course). But hey, Goodes started it by calling Australia Day, Invasion Day. Give me a break…. if that is the way the indigenous people of this country view the day, then who are we to tell them otherwise. They arent far off the truth!

Are you calling me a racist my friend? You're drawing a long ******* bow. If I'm a racist that's going to be a big ******* surprise to the best man at my wedding.

Regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1698 times
Been liked: 1818 times

Postby Wedgie » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:40 pm

Hefty wrote:

Wouldn't make a difference to me who he played for. The fact he is a Sydney player is irrelevent.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2049 times
Been liked: 3891 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Wedgie » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:43 pm

Rik E Boy wrote:
Footy Smart wrote:so many people are justifying their abuse 'because he is a flog'. That doesn’t cut it IMO. When challenged the arguments do come back round to being race related apart from his occasional snipes and the tribunal supposedly looking after him (his fault of course). But hey, Goodes started it by calling Australia Day, Invasion Day. Give me a break…. if that is the way the indigenous people of this country view the day, then who are we to tell them otherwise. They arent far off the truth!

Are you calling me a racist my friend? You're drawing a long ******* bow. If I'm a racist that's going to be a big ******* surprise to the best man at my wedding.

Regards,

REB

Who you had for your best man at your wedding is irrelevent. A racist isn't someone who hates every single person of an entire race (even though they can).
Most racists I know don't even realise or admit it themselves and they all deny it vehemently.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby Jase » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:51 pm

Wedgie wrote:
Rik E Boy wrote:

Regards,

REB

Who you had for your best man at your wedding is irrelevent. A racist isn't someone who hates every single person of an entire race (even though they can).
Most racists I know don't even realise or admit it themselves and they all deny it vehemently.

Edit

Ah dont worry about it...
Jase
League - Best 21

Has liked: 1480 times
Been liked: 552 times

Postby Wedgie » Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:19 pm

If I was on the side of the booers, I'd think to myself "hmmm, I'm on the same side of this argument as Jason Akermanis, Alan Jones, Andrew Bolt, Shane Warne, Dermott Brereton and basically every uneducated redneck racist in Australia, perhaps I should reconsider?"
Wedgie
Site Admin

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:22 pm

Boooo
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11844 times
Been liked: 3600 times

Postby woodublieve12 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:12 pm

Hefty wrote:

Let me ask you this, if it wasn't Goodes would you feel the same?
woodublieve12
Coach

Postby stan » Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:51 pm

Probably time to give it a spell and concentrate back on football. I think the media needs to step back a bit. Really without them pushing it so hard and demanding it be about race it probably would ha e died out a bit. I mean going and getting opinions from Wilson, Akermanis and Jones. Seriously it would only fuel it further. In the end we have heard opinions from every man and his dog but not Goodes. Just seems like something else the media wish to fuel.

I also think goodes should have plaued this week. Crows fans would most likely be well behaved.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby stan » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:00 pm

Wedgie wrote:If I was on the side of the booers, I'd think to myself "hmmm, I'm on the same side of this argument as Jason Akermanis, Alan Jones, Andrew Bolt, Shane Warne, Dermott Brereton and basically every uneducated redneck racist in Australia, perhaps I should reconsider?"

Bolt lol. Has as much credibility as a Shane Watson review.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL