The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

Postby LPH » Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:53 pm

CENTURION wrote:Rowey understands why people aren't going.

He has 'chopped n changed' throughout the debate.
Rowey does what Rowey's told - today he is against it, tomorrow he's for it.
Been doing the same since it was 1st mooted in 2013.
Stephen Trigg & Rob Chapman are SA Football Patriots
LPH
League - Best 21

Has liked: 541 times
Been liked: 326 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby cennals05 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:58 pm

We hear a lot that it is the weather this season, so I thought I would see if I could compare the seasons. I just went through the BOM stats for all the game days for last season and this season up until Round 16.

In 2014 we had 119.8 mm of rain and this season 95.8 mm up until Round 16.

There have been 17 game days with rain so far this season and last season up until the same point there had been 16.

The average temp in 2014 up until Round 16 was 19.8°C and in 2015 17.7°C.

I really need to get a life or do some work.
cennals05
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 146 times
Been liked: 248 times

Postby PatowalongaPirate » Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:04 pm

cennals05 wrote:We hear a lot that it is the weather this season, so I thought I would see if I could compare the seasons. I just went through the BOM stats for all the game days for last season and this season up until Round 16.

In 2014 we had 119.8 mm of rain and this season 95.8 mm up until Round 16.

There have been 17 game days with rain so far this season and last season up until the same point there had been 16.

The average temp in 2014 up until Round 16 was 19.8°C and in 2015 17.7°C.

I really need to get a life or do some work.

Or release an Almanac.
safooty Melbourne Cup Day Tipping Champion 2018 & 2019 #Back2Back
2018 safooty NFL Tipping Champion
PatowalongaPirate
2022 SA Footy Punter of the Year

Has liked: 444 times
Been liked: 1208 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby stan » Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:07 pm

My preference is to go back to 2013. I have said this a few times. Thus would be a better standard than the current setup.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby Kahuna » Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:08 pm

cennals05 wrote:FIVEaa just asked for SANFL fans to call or text and say why they are not going. Text 1999 1395 and let them know it's because of the AFL reserves.

I just emailed them with my 2 bobs worth. Seems they have moved onto something else anyway. I don't think they took any listener calls, emails or texts between 4 and 5.
Kahuna
League - Top 5

Has liked: 499 times
Been liked: 187 times

Postby Apachebulldog » Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:29 pm

Also e mailed they are not interested by the lack of debate lol at the moment waiting waiting waiting .
SANFL 2000 - 2011 Central District 12 consecutive Grand Final appearances and 9 Premierships.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOFFFFFFFFFF.

Hit em hard let them get up and hit em again.
Apachebulldog
League - Best 21

Has liked: 381 times
Been liked: 115 times

Postby JK » Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:40 pm

Dutchy wrote:
JK wrote:Again I come back to the lack of accountability and transparency on the sale of West Lakes. $70mil for something once reported to be as high as $300mil is obviously a massive variance. That $300mil if managed correctly (always questionable where the SANFL is concerned) was surely enough to protect the standard and future of the competition and its clubs.

Demand has dropped for a slice of land like that, 5-10 years ago you would have 4-5 developers jumping all over it and the SANFL would have got a premium price, now they had to take what they could due to the poor financial position the league is in (and the buyer would have known this).

I think economic climate would pay some part in it .. I think also it was initially planned to be higher, allowing for greater numbers of housing but was capped at a lower level by council or zoning, after local opposition. Both of which would have an effect on value. Still think it was either worth more than the $70mil obtained, or the initial figures were greatly exaggerated. Think also the higher figure might have seen the SANFL hold a share of developed value, as opposed to selling it all undeveloped. Would just be nice to know exactly how it all played out.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4438 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby JK » Wed Aug 05, 2015 6:52 pm

bennymacca wrote:So yes, i agree with others that there should be a national AFL reserves comp. But this will also hurt the SANFL. It will be "pure" as some people want it, but it will be at a much lower standard, and with that will come continued dwindling crowds.

It shouldn't have to be, but I fear you're right.

One thing I've always disliked about modern footy, is that any and every kid is given the opportunity to play AFL if good enough, but once they've been removed from the AFL system there goes any reasonable chance to make a living from the sport. The AFL won't spend any money on players other than for development purposes. The argument is if players aren't playing in their competition then why should they? But I would have thought they were also custodians of the game? Hard to do justice to that role when you're eyeing off dollar the game makes around the country and want it all for your own.

If/when a national Reserves competition comes into play, it would be nice (in a dream world) if the AFL and other leagues agreed on top-up players not being older than 24. It would then leave a pretty decent pool of talent for the SANFL, VFL, WAFL etc to function almost as D-Leagues, where players could ply their onfield trade for decent remuneration. Perhaps not enough to make a living from, but certainly enough to subsidise other employment income for a healthy earning whilst they're playing.

AFL would remain the best standard, other leagues would stay strong (or increase in strength), and a pool of ready made mature aged players exists for AFL clubs should they have a need. Win/win I would have thought, but I appear to be on my pat malone with that one.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby Aerie » Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:00 pm

JK wrote:
bennymacca wrote:So yes, i agree with others that there should be a national AFL reserves comp. But this will also hurt the SANFL. It will be "pure" as some people want it, but it will be at a much lower standard, and with that will come continued dwindling crowds.

It shouldn't have to be, but I fear you're right.

One thing I've always disliked about modern footy, is that any and every kid is given the opportunity to play AFL if good enough, but once they've been removed from the AFL system there goes any reasonable chance to make a living from the sport. The AFL won't spend any money on players other than for development purposes. The argument is if players aren't playing in their competition then why should they? But I would have thought they were also custodians of the game? Hard to do justice to that role when you're eyeing off dollar the game makes around the country and want it all for your own.

If/when a national Reserves competition comes into play, it would be nice (in a dream world) if the AFL and other leagues agreed on top-up players not being older than 24. It would then leave a pretty decent pool of talent for the SANFL, VFL, WAFL etc to function almost as D-Leagues, where players could ply their onfield trade for decent remuneration. Perhaps not enough to make a living from, but certainly enough to subsidise other employment income for a healthy earning whilst they're playing.

AFL would remain the best standard, other leagues would stay strong (or increase in strength), and a pool of ready made mature aged players exists for AFL clubs should they have a need. Win/win I would have thought, but I appear to be on my pat malone with that one.

Not alone at all. That is exactly what should happen. I'd go further and make top ups under 20.
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 503 times

Postby bennymacca » Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:12 pm

Even limiting the age of the topups would lower the standard of the SANFL
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby JK » Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:24 pm

bennymacca wrote:Even limiting the age of the topups would lower the standard of the SANFL

Not if they had the capacity or resources to bring in more ex-AFL recruits.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby JK » Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:26 pm

LPH wrote:The standard is not the issue IMHO.
Survival of the Clubs from here, is the issue.

Im not convinced the two aren't mutually exclusive
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby Apachebulldog » Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:50 pm

Yep good one Rowey ring up text email have your say about the SANFL not too many comments read out debate non existent Just Rucci whining away again.

What a waste of time e mailing no wonder i gave up years ago listening to the AFL sports show go and get stuffed once again.
SANFL 2000 - 2011 Central District 12 consecutive Grand Final appearances and 9 Premierships.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOFFFFFFFFFF.

Hit em hard let them get up and hit em again.
Apachebulldog
League - Best 21

Has liked: 381 times
Been liked: 115 times

Postby tipper » Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:51 pm

bennymacca wrote:
tipper wrote:
bennymacca wrote:
Booney wrote:
LPH"]
The Clubs thought (wrongly IMHO) that the 'easy cash' from the AFL Clubs was the answer.
It wasn't.
The problem they have made for themselves is that Membership money has diminished significantly, as (I assume) has Sponsorship money, Gate takings & Bar/Food/Beverage. To make it more affordable for people to go to the SANFL, they need to cut Admissions & Costs - going Semi-Ammo instead of Semi-Pro, may well allow this to occur. Under 25s will probably want to play for the 8 Clubs (in general) above playing for other Ammo Clubs because of facilities, etc. Younger Country Zoned Players will still have the pathway to AFL via the SANFL Club, even in "Div 1" - say a Club were relegated, that would give a greater opportunity to play/develop kids.

I agree. Admission now keeps people away. The cost of a trip to the SANFL with the family, or even on your own, has increased to the point that many people would not be able to afford to attend.

Problem with this though, the clubs slice becomes less. I think it needs to be made a more attractive "product" ( I hate using that term ) for people to spend their entertainment $$$'s on.

you honestly think further lowering the standard will bring people back? I dont.

havent been on in a few days, and whilst it was enjoyable reading ramrod, he actually did bring up one decent point - the standard of the comp as a whole would have dropped, as there is an extra team. Could that be another reason the crowds have dropped?

One of the reasons i liked following the sanfl was to see how the afl listed players were doing.
But now I only have to look at the crows match report to do that, so my overall interest has gone down.
Moreover, I dont really feel compelled to go and watch a crows game because it is a reserves game, and if i only have so much time in the week im definitely not spending it going to a reserves game.

So yes, i agree with others that there should be a national AFL reserves comp. But this will also hurt the SANFL. It will be "pure" as some people want it, but it will be at a much lower standard, and with that will come continued dwindling crowds.

Wait... are you now using the same reasons the No AFL posters were stating all along as reasons your interest in the SANFL has dropped? the same reasons you argued so long against?

ffs why couldnt you and the other "pro" people (particularly the sanfl directors.....) realise the sense in the "against" arguments two and a half ******* years ago.....

ah so im not allowed to change my opinion? as ive said all along i was never "pro" anything i was just making the point that it wouldnt be as bad as everyone predicted and i was wrong about that.

[quote="RB wrote:

Really?

removing all AFL involvement and implementing an AFL reserves comp will certainly lower the standard imo.

Im making an assumption here but the rules for topup players would change, and they would be allowed to sign a few players. Some of these players may then have an sanfl club.

What will happen though is that players looking to get back into the AFL somehow will almost certainly play in the AFL reserves instead of the SANFL, and the SANFL would then be the third tier rather than the second.

Seems logical to me that this would lower the standard.[/quote]
You are perfectly entitled to change your opinion. However if you, and others, actually listened to the reasoned arguments that were put forward at the time, and which have been proven to be correct, and decided to change your opinion back then, we wouldnt now be looking down the barrel of tge death of the sanfl.

Agreeing that the reserves sides have ****** the sanfl right in the date after the fact is shutting the gate after the horse has well and truly bolted. But thanks for telling us what most here have known all along
tipper
League - Top 5

Has liked: 359 times
Been liked: 531 times
Grassroots Team: Peake

Postby saintal » Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:35 pm

LPH wrote:
CENTURION wrote:Rowey understands why people aren't going.

He has 'chopped n changed' throughout the debate.
Rowey does what Rowey's told - today he is against it, tomorrow he's for it.
Been doing the same since it was 1st mooted in 2013.

Tuned in after 6:30 and they had an abridged version of their chat with Rucci.

Rowey does understand why people have dropped off, but when push comes to shove he backflips pretty quickly. AFC employee Bickley just doesn't get it, and probably never will. Doubt he's attended a non-Ravens game since he finished up with South. Rucci just stirs the pot and plays dumb.

As others have stated the inflated admission prices doesn't entice the more casual supporters, nor does the dull style of footy played by most clubs (mine very much included)
SAFC- 60 years...
StKFC- 58 years..
saintal
Coach

Has liked: 346 times
Been liked: 428 times

Postby daysofourlives » Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:01 pm

Have to agree with Benny somewhat in that the standard will drop.
If an AFL reserves comp starts it will be back to the future. We will be where we were 2 years ago where AFL players were dropped back to their aligned club, only this time it will be with top up players not borderline AFL players.
Not that i think this is a bad thing, at least we will get some passion back in the SANFL
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2415 times
Been liked: 1657 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby whufc » Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:33 pm

I dont care about what the standard is like.

If my favourite football team plays in a comp with integrity ill be there every week.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Dutchy » Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:16 pm

whufc wrote:I dont care about what the standard is like.

If my favourite football team plays in a comp with integrity ill be there every week.

Absolutely correct, well said.

Standard is not an issue, get clubs playing in a genuine competition on an even playing field and you have a great starting point to develop a fantastic 2nd tier competition that attracts ex AFL players and retain ones that currently go bush to early.

It will just take some work, need to get the SANFL exec's out of their AO Corporate box and earn their keep along with the clubs.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby Spargo » Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:24 pm

whufc wrote:I dont care about what the standard is like.

This^
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ

Don’t lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive...
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5457 times
Been liked: 5089 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Pseudo » Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:54 pm

Yeah, ^ that.
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1553 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL