Southern Football League

A forum dedicated to the Southern Football League!

Re: Southern Football League

Postby Luke15 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:02 pm

On Another note. Not much has been said about the race for finals and how not so 'clear cut' it is this year. Is anyone brave enough to predict a top 4 let alone top 8. One thing the ladder does indicate though is that i do not think we can argue that the Comp has become a little more evenly spread this year.

Reynella 26
Flaggies 26
Noarlunga 22
Brighton 20
M/Vale 20
M/Parks 17
Pt Noarlunga 16
Christies 14
Valleys 14
Edwardstown 14
Cove 11
Hackham 6
OSB 6
Marion 2
Aldinga 0
Luke15
Rookie

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 18 times

Postby King » Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:28 pm

Luke15 wrote:
pantherman wrote:Few clubs looking for coaches next season with quite alot experience leaving the league - Earl, Wallace, Mitton, Crate supposedly already notifying their clubs.

Is there experienced/quality coaches out there willing to join the SFL?

wow! If true there is some bloody good coaches there. Surprised to see Wallace's name there i would have thought he would stay and build something at Valley. As for the word 'experienced' coaches there are still a few around but maybe some clubs can look outside the square and take a risk on new blood. FLAGGIES are a great example of this, Rod Mitchell may have been looked at as a risk but jeez it is paying off big time. Reynella are the same.

names out there are: Pilmore, Irvine, Gary Cameron (leaving Mc Vale at seasons end), Clay Sampson (leaving Pongy)

I can assure you that no one at Flaggies thought Mitty was a risk! Has a great coaching ethic and lots of experience including a SFL B grade premiership.
King
Under 16s

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 13 times
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Postby Luke15 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:37 pm

King wrote:
Luke15 wrote:
pantherman wrote:Few clubs looking for coaches next season with quite alot experience leaving the league - Earl, Wallace, Mitton, Crate supposedly already notifying their clubs.

Is there experienced/quality coaches out there willing to join the SFL?

wow! If true there is some bloody good coaches there. Surprised to see Wallace's name there i would have thought he would stay and build something at Valley. As for the word 'experienced' coaches there are still a few around but maybe some clubs can look outside the square and take a risk on new blood. FLAGGIES are a great example of this, Rod Mitchell may have been looked at as a risk but jeez it is paying off big time. Reynella are the same.

names out there are: Pilmore, Irvine, Gary Cameron (leaving Mc Vale at seasons end), Clay Sampson (leaving Pongy)

I can assure you that no one at Flaggies thought Mitty was a risk! Has a great coaching ethic and lots of experience including a SFL B grade premiership.

King - i am not for 1 second degrading Rod and i am sure you are right a club like Flaggies would have done their due diligence so i am sure they wouldnt have thought it was a risk. Maybe people outside of Flaggies might have though, that is what i am getting at. The appointment of Ramage didn't work out at all and they have nailed their replacement.
Luke15
Rookie

Has liked: 4 times

Postby Look Good In Leather » Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:45 pm

shoe boy wrote:
shoe boy wrote:I agree it is great to see so many join the umpiring gig BUT like any other job you must be able to get the basics right. I cannot believe how many boundary throw ins don't hit the contest and central ump lets the play go.

Tribe broadcast , I am wondering how many bottom of the table games have been called ?

I hear the 2 division proposal is gaining ground ? :-J

How do we split this into 2 divisions?

SFL 2015.jpg
SFL 2015.jpg (29.1 KiB) Viewed 2737 times
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 284 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby Peter Griffen » Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:28 pm

You'd have to look over a 5 year period and strength of all grades on the borderline teams.

Definite Div 1 - Reynella, Morphett Vale, Noarlunga, Happy Valley, Brighton, Flagstaff Hill

Borderline - Morphy Park, Pt Noarlunga, Edwardstown, Cove, Christies

Definite Div 2 - Hackham, Marion, Lonsdale, Aldinga
Peter Griffen
Under 16s

Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 15 times
Grassroots Team: Barmera-Monash

Postby Look Good In Leather » Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:54 pm

Peter Griffen wrote:You'd have to look over a 5 year period and strength of all grades on the borderline teams.

Definite Div 1 - Reynella, Morphett Vale, Noarlunga, Happy Valley, Brighton, Flagstaff Hill

Flagstaff Hill definite Div 1 on this year's form, not over 5 years though
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Postby Peter Griffen » Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:05 am

They were in due to th strength of the club as a whole.
Peter Griffen
Under 16s

Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 15 times
Grassroots Team: Barmera-Monash

Postby Dutchy » Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:02 pm

Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3484 times

Postby WHEELS&DEALS » Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:03 am

With only 15 teams in the comp and Edwardstown more than likely to leave or get voted out of the SFL, how will 2 divisions work with only 14 teams. I'm not saying I want townies to leave but will the league and the other clubs allow them to play seniors in SFL while juniors stay in the metro South.
If we do go to div 1-2 why don't we just look at seniors. Seems to work in the amateur league. Looking forward to all the replies regarding Morphy Parks not having all junior grades and that's the reason why I've suggested this. 3 ways of choosing clubs for div 1&2 is where they finish on ladder this year or look at ladder positions for the last 3 or 4 years.
WHEELS&DEALS
Under 16s

Has liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Morphettville Park

Postby cracka » Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:35 am

I'd put money on Kangarilla returning to SFL if you went back to 2 divs, maybe even Blackwood would join. [-o<
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 458 times
Been liked: 560 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby godra » Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:48 am

WHEELS&DEALS wrote:With only 15 teams in the comp and Edwardstown more than likely to leave or get voted out of the SFL, how will 2 divisions work with only 14 teams. I'm not saying I want townies to leave but will the league and the other clubs allow them to play seniors in SFL while juniors stay in the metro South.
If we do go to div 1-2 why don't we just look at seniors. Seems to work in the amateur league. Looking forward to all the replies regarding Morphy Parks not having all junior grades and that's the reason why I've suggested this. 3 ways of choosing clubs for div 1&2 is where they finish on ladder this year or look at ladder positions for the last 3 or 4 years.

Did I hear correctly the Edwardstown juniors and seniors made up and will play as one club next year?
godra

Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 3 times

Postby shoe boy » Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:10 am

godra wrote:
WHEELS&DEALS wrote:With only 15 teams in the comp and Edwardstown more than likely to leave or get voted out of the SFL, how will 2 divisions work with only 14 teams. I'm not saying I want townies to leave but will the league and the other clubs allow them to play seniors in SFL while juniors stay in the metro South.

Did I hear correctly the Edwardstown juniors and seniors made up and will play as one club next year?

Don't hold your breath .
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 488 times
Been liked: 209 times

Postby shoe boy » Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:20 am

Big round of footy this week that will sort some sides out come finals.

Bombers over Valley
Bushpigs over Christies (will this close the door on finals for Christies?)
SAAFL Townies over Hawks
Marion who are the only side in the comp that wears these colours . over Lonsdale
Twisties over Cove
Shoes over Porties
The house hold names Wineflies over we never use a point YET M/Vale.

Good luck to all .

I don't listen to tribe FM but do they discuss ALL that is the SFL ?
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 488 times
Been liked: 209 times

Postby Look Good In Leather » Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:25 am

cracka wrote:I'd put money on Kangarilla returning to SFL if you went back to 2 divs, maybe even Blackwood would join. [-o<

Kangarilla? People complain about big scores at the moment. We would need a third division.
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Postby Down the Hill » Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:38 am

Therein lies the problem with just 2 divisions in any sporting comp. The gap between Div 1 and Div 2 will often be more than a true 1 division gap. Every time a Div 1 Hills team gets relegated they either go through the next season undefeated or close to undefeated and win the flag.

If (a big IF) we ever got back to 2 Divisions, promotion and relegation should not be automatic. Lonsdale won a Div 2 flag in 2000 or 2001 with a 6-10 minor round record and then won 3 straight finals in some of worst finals conditions the SFL has encountered in my time associated with the SFL. And from memory their B grade didn't make finals that season. If we went to 2 Divisions, should a team be automatically promoted on that basis - particularly if the bottom team in Division 1 still wins 3 or 4 games.

Kangarilla was consistently the strongest the team in the period leading up to merging the divisions and they were never interested in being promoted which was probably fair enough with their lack of genuine depth and junior numbers.

Unfortunately we can keep debating the merits of the current 15 team comp and the argument around 1 or 2 Divisions but there is no quick fix unless their is a sudden reduction or increase in clubs. Getting back to an even number of teams to remove the BYE would be my first wish.
Down the Hill
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 275 times
Grassroots Team: Brighton District & OS

Postby afc9798 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:58 am

Dutchy wrote:

Possibly a career in the A League? Great use of the conditions and his run was outstanding. Good stuff!!
afc9798
Reserves

Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 47 times
Grassroots Team: Happy Valley

Postby afc9798 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:59 am

godra wrote:

One club, two different competitions.
afc9798
Reserves

Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 47 times

Postby Esteban Vihaio » Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:35 pm

One day everyone will be happy with two divisions and it will receive 100% support. It will coincide with the rapture. But it should be a good year
Where's Bill? Yeah... Hmm... Bill is on the Villa Quatro, on the road to Salina. I will draw you a map.
Esteban Vihaio
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 36 times

Postby Front & Centre » Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:36 am

Some posters wont like what I have got to say but lets be honest. If the SFL doesnt do something about fixing the competition they will start to lose clubs - just not the ones it wants.
I have spoken to someone on their executive and HV will be one of many clubs that will look elsewhere. Last week against Hackham was the final straw for him. Clubs cant continually afford the loss of revenue from playing weaker clubs without a full compliment of teams and the capacity to draw a crowd through the gate. It affects gate, canteen, bar revenue significantly more than the SFL would realise
The SFL needs to stop trying to save their beloved Lonsdale (how many Lonsdale life members are on the SFL board?) and try to fix the competition before it loses the clubs keeping it afloat. 2 divisions would be a start
Front & Centre
Rookie

Has liked: 33 times
Been liked: 12 times

Postby reppoh_eht » Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:55 am

Look Good In Leather wrote:
Peter Griffen wrote:You'd have to look over a 5 year period and strength of all grades on the borderline teams.

Flagstaff Hill definite Div 1 on this year's form, not over 5 years though

Ok I'll bite...

A Grade
2011: Prelim Final
2012: Elimination Final
2013: Missed Finals
2014: Semi Final
2015: Unknown - but currently sitting 2nd on Premiership Table

B Grade:
2011: Prelim Final
2012: Grand Final
2013: Premiers
2014: Grand Final
2015: Unknown - but currently sitting 3rd on Premiership Table

If you wanted to count Juniors the picture would be even better...

:roll:
reppoh_eht
Under 16s

Has liked: 131 times
Been liked: 54 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  SFL