Southern Football League

A forum dedicated to the Southern Football League!

Re: Southern Football League

Postby Look Good In Leather » Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:13 pm

reppoh_eht wrote:
Look Good In Leather wrote:
Peter Griffen wrote:You'd have to look over a 5 year period and strength of all grades on the borderline teams.

Definite Div 1 - Reynella, Morphett Vale, Noarlunga, Happy Valley, Brighton, Flagstaff Hill

Borderline - Morphy Park, Pt Noarlunga, Edwardstown, Cove, Christies

Definite Div 2 - Hackham, Marion, Lonsdale, Aldinga

Flagstaff Hill definite Div 1 on this year's form, not over 5 years though

Ok I'll bite...

A Grade
2011: Prelim Final
2012: Elimination Final
2013: Missed Finals
2014: Semi Final
2015: Unknown - but currently sitting 2nd on Premiership Table

B Grade:
2011: Prelim Final
2012: Grand Final
2013: Premiers
2014: Grand Final
2015: Unknown - but currently sitting 3rd on Premiership Table

If you wanted to count Juniors the picture would be even better...

:roll:

2011's finals run does skew the results somewhat as the highest minor round finish has been 6th. I was more commenting in relation to the other teams Peter Griffen had as "borderline" clubs as the Port Noarlunga and Morphettville Park records during that period have been more impressive.

It should only be worked out on the current season anyhow, these ideas of 5 years, 10 years and the like have no bearing on current strength, why not 20 years, 50 years, 100 year... where do you end?

If there is a divisional structure it should be on A-Grade strength and the fielding of all Saturday grades.

At the moment the only "Definites" are Flagstaff Hill, Reynella, Happy Valley, Brighton & Christies Beach.
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 284 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby Animus » Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:24 pm

How about A-grade strength/where they finish the season & at least U14 and U16 teams.

Good day out for everyone, families included, if 2 clubs can watch 4 games of footy at the one venue

To have an equal playing field i think there needs to be an even number of teams and you play everyone once at home and once away.
Last edited by Animus on Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Animus
Under 16s

Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 20 times

Postby Mister Footy » Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:51 pm

"It should only be worked out on the current season anyhow, these ideas of 5 years, 10 years and the like have no bearing on current strength, why not 20 years, 50 years, 100 year... where do you end?"

LGIL - if Valleys dont make A grade finals because of a dodgy coaching recruitment and couple blokes leaving does that make it a div 2 club?
Mister Footy
Under 18s

Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 28 times
Grassroots Team: Happy Valley

Postby marbles » Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:20 pm

Front & Centre wrote:Some posters wont like what I have got to say but lets be honest. If the SFL doesnt do something about fixing the competition they will start to lose clubs - just not the ones it wants.
I have spoken to someone on their executive and HV will be one of many clubs that will look elsewhere. Last week against Hackham was the final straw for him. Clubs cant continually afford the loss of revenue from playing weaker clubs without a full compliment of teams and the capacity to draw a crowd through the gate. It affects gate, canteen, bar revenue significantly more than the SFL would realise
The SFL needs to stop trying to save their beloved Lonsdale (how many Lonsdale life members are on the SFL board?) and try to fix the competition before it loses the clubs keeping it afloat. 2 divisions would be a start

lonsdale would be far better off relocating, that is a shocker of a place for a district football club, at the back of a high school

you aint gonna draw players, or crowds when 3 quarters of the oval has no parking and u cant sit in your car to watch the game
marbles
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 276 times
Been liked: 259 times

Postby marbles » Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:21 pm

why really wouldnt marion simply join div 7 saafl? what are the elements stopping a move? genuine question
marbles
Assistant Coach

Postby Mister Footy » Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:55 pm

Good questions marbles but I reckon some of these clubs would rather die a slow death than look at genuine ways to stay alive.

Most of the league have been saying for a while that Hackham and Lonsdale should merge for a club with much better player numbers and facilities
Mister Footy
Under 18s

Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 28 times

Postby marbles » Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:07 pm

Mister Footy wrote:Good questions marbles but I reckon some of these clubs would rather die a slow death than look at genuine ways to stay alive.

Most of the league have been saying for a while that Hackham and Lonsdale should merge for a club with much better player numbers and facilities

think hackham is a little bit too far from lonsdale to be brothers in arms.

where was o'sullivans beach oval back in the day?

sfl has too many clubs, and the saafl is needing 4 or 5 clubs, what difference will it make, all clubs will still be playing great football games each and every saturday

marion, edwardstown, brighton and morphies should just bite the bullet & play metro amateur footy where they belong & the saafl should make drastic changes to accomodate them, everybody wins and life goes on
marbles
Assistant Coach

Postby Look Good In Leather » Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:39 pm

Mister Footy wrote:"It should only be worked out on the current season anyhow, these ideas of 5 years, 10 years and the like have no bearing on current strength, why not 20 years, 50 years, 100 year... where do you end?"

LGIL - if Valleys dont make A grade finals because of a dodgy coaching recruitment and couple blokes leaving does that make it a div 2 club?

As one of the 5 clubs supporting the Saturday competition, absolutely not
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Postby Dutchy » Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:54 pm

marbles wrote:why really wouldnt marion simply join div 7 saafl? what are the elements stopping a move? genuine question

Marion are the one club that should piss off, they give nothing to the SFL, don't even try to field Saturday junior teams, unlike the others.

Im not sure why they are not in the firing line more than clubs like Lonsdale and Hackham who do work hard to put teams on the park.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2324 times
Been liked: 3502 times

Postby Dutchy » Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:56 pm

marbles wrote:
marion, edwardstown, brighton and morphies should just bite the bullet & play metro amateur footy where they belong & the saafl should make drastic changes to accomodate them, everybody wins and life goes on

Simply because geographically a SAAFL club south of the city is a nightmare, there is a team playing out of Gawler FFS! Give me a once a year trip to Aldinga any day.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby marbles » Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:08 pm

Dutchy wrote:
marbles wrote:

Simply because geographically a SAAFL club south of the city is a nightmare, there is a team playing out of Gawler FFS! Give me a once a year trip to Aldinga any day.

marion to aldinga - nice

word is angle vale moving to adelaide plains league
marbles
Assistant Coach

Postby godra » Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:22 pm

Dutchy wrote:
marbles wrote:why really wouldnt marion simply join div 7 saafl? what are the elements stopping a move? genuine question

Marion are the one club that should piss off, they give nothing to the SFL, don't even try to field Saturday junior teams, unlike the others.

Im not sure why they are not in the firing line more than clubs like Lonsdale and Hackham who do work hard to put teams on the park.

I know that if the numbers were there to field the Saturday junior sides, they would. Fact is they just don't have the numbers. Put it down to whatever issue you may attribute it to.

There is a Sunday 14's side from Marion which is doing very well and the sub juniors on the Sunday mornings are full of kids. If this translates to teams of 14's, 16's and 18's on Saturdays in the years to come, I only hope so. This is obviously the long term goal, they are aware of what they need to do to survive.

None the less, I certainly appreciate the position of the other teams who would not be making the same $$$ on a day where there is a full day of games. Money talks.

Not that there is any discussion of it, I could see the numbers that are left at the club at this time making a bee line to the exit if the club moved to SAAFL.
godra

Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 3 times

Postby Dutchy » Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:36 pm

godra wrote:
There is a Sunday 14's side from Marion which is doing very well and the sub juniors on the Sunday mornings are full of kids. If this translates to teams of 14's, 16's and 18's on Saturdays in the years to come, I only hope so. This is obviously the long term goal, they are aware of what they need to do to survive.

Marions subbies have been full for a number of years now (they have 50 u12's this year), therefore why haven't they flowed through to Saturday junior footy? Seems they are happy to just move them thru the Sunday comp...
Dutchy
Site Admin

Postby Front & Centre » Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:58 pm

Div 1 play footy on Saturday 1 team in every grade minimum and Div 2 juniors can play on Sunday?
Front & Centre
Rookie

Has liked: 33 times
Been liked: 12 times

Postby Look Good In Leather » Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:59 pm

marbles wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
marbles wrote:

marion to aldinga - nice

What about Trinity?
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Postby godra » Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:11 pm

Dutchy wrote:
godra wrote:

Marions subbies have been full for a number of years now (they have 50 u12's this year), therefore why haven't they flowed through to Saturday junior footy? Seems they are happy to just move them thru the Sunday comp...

Your guess is as good as mine. I would suggest the financial benefits of a full Saturday day of games far outweighs any amount of bacon and eggs sangas one would sell for the parents of the kids on a Sunday morning.
godra

Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 3 times

Postby Broken Down Hack » Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:39 pm

marbles wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
marbles wrote:

marion to aldinga - nice

Marion to Aldinga a 25 min drive up the expressway ...... not like Flinders Uni to Houghton 50 min + 30 sets off traffic lights ......
Broken Down Hack
Rookie

Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 15 times

Postby King » Sat Aug 08, 2015 5:50 pm

I notice N. Manhood appears on the Porties B Grade team list today. Is this the A Grade coach and if so did he actually play ?
King
Under 16s

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 14 times
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Postby banterfordays » Sun Aug 09, 2015 6:43 pm

any scores for the Wineflies v Emus clash today?
banterfordays

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 5 times
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Postby Peter Griffen » Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:21 pm

Reynella over ran them kicking into a fair wind in the last.
Peter Griffen
Under 16s

Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 15 times
Grassroots Team: Barmera-Monash

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  SFL