R17: South v Adelaide Saturday 8 August @ Hickinbotham

All discussions to do with the SANFL

R17: South v Adelaide Saturday 8 August @ Hickinbotham

Postby Dutchy » Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:49 pm

SOUTH
South Adelaide has boosted its defensive options for Saturday’s clash with Adelaide at Hickinbotham Oval.
Key defender Luke Durdin will almost certainly play his first league game of the season while former Collingwood VFL backman Jackson Heagney-Steart could make his league debut after being included in the 23-man squad.
Originally from Old Haileybury in Victoria, Heagney-Steart measures in at 189cm and 90kg.
‘’He’s a determined defender who had an ankle problem earlier in the year but has since progressed nicely in the Reserves,’’ South football manager Neill Sharpe said.
A three-goal haul in the Reserves last round could also allow Jackson McMahon the opportunity to make his first league appearance this year while utility Joe Haines has also been recalled.
Ruckman/defender Alex Cailotto faces a race against time to be fit again this season after breaking his collarbone while Tyson Brown was omitted.

League
F: Macleod, Overall, Gulden
HF: Haines, Eddy, Irra
C: Cross, Seccull, Rose
HB: Veide, Daniel, Redigolo
B: Durdin, Crabb, Rankine

R: Bass, Schwarz, Gotch
INT: Heagney-Steart, McMahon, Taylor, P. Kerin, Haren
IN: Haines, Durdin, McMahon, Heagney-Steart
OUT: Cailotto (collarbone), Brown

Under-18
F: Fitt, McKinnon, Need
HF: Allevi, Szust, R. Williams
C: Scanlan, Dominish, Whimpress
HB: Kappler, Millman, O’Hanlon
B: Blackwell, Stoyel, Bruce

R: Gurney, Boreham, Albanese
INT: Collier, C. Williams, Fairlie, Daniels, Fitzgerald, McCarthy, Turner, Tyllis

ADELAIDE
Adelaide will be without former captain Nathan van Berlo for its crucial clash with South Adelaide at Hickinbotham Oval on Saturday.
The veteran midfielder and left-footer Rory Atkins have been called up for AFL action while first-year utility Keenan Ramsey has been sidelined by a knee injury.
Ball magnet Matthew Wright has been sent back to the club’s SANFL team for a rare outing while tall utility Harry Dear will make his return from a serious shoulder injury.
Defenders Sam Shaw and Sam Siggins have also been included in the 23-man squad along with development player Brock Castree.

League
F: Lowden, Osborn, Spencely
HF: McGovern, Podsiadly, A. Wilson
C: Kerridge, Wright, Grigg
HB: Kelly, Shaw, Siggins
B: Wigg, Cheney, Otten

R: O’Brien, Ellis-Yolmen, Callinan
OUT: Dear, Castree, Carey, Pfeffier, Wittwer
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2326 times
Been liked: 3506 times

Re: R17: South v Adelaide Saturday 8 August @ Hickinbotham

Postby another grub » Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:03 am

Ravens not looking as good this week than in the last month. Still a handy side and I am undecided. Who do you think starts favourite here?
another grub
Coach

Has liked: 463 times
Been liked: 421 times

Postby wristwatcher » Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:28 am

another grub wrote:Ravens not looking as good this week than in the last month. Still a handy side and I am undecided. Who do you think starts favourite here?

Agreed but Crows have been on fire in the last month. Adelaide 1-39
The PNU Falcs 2005,06,13 x 2,14 and Div 1 Premiers in 2019......The SA 3peat - 2003,04,05
wristwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 847 times

Postby johntheclaret » Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:44 am

Yep. Adelaide reserves still too strong for South
Matt Wright is a big in for the reserves team
I think South might end up happy to finish in the finals
Adelaide Reserves by 15-20 points
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Postby CENTURION » Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:37 pm

Cows by a point.
Member No. 988 & PROUD to sponsor The CDFC!!
CENTURION
Coach

Has liked: 204 times
Been liked: 112 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby matt35 » Sat Aug 08, 2015 10:09 am

This one could go either way; Crows to keep slim finals chances alive with a narrow win.
No Surrender!
matt35
Under 18s

Has liked: 513 times
Been liked: 51 times
Grassroots Team: Boston

Postby scott » Sat Aug 08, 2015 11:21 am

Not confident about this one at all. A couple of key injuries at the wrong time of year for us versus a strong Crows line up who love the big ovals.

If we were to win, I couldn't see it being more than by about 15. But I could easily see the Crows thrash us by 10 goals. Our defence is excellent, but our ability to score against theirs will be a massive issue. We haven't cracked 100 all year and honestly think we'll have to today with the perfect weather if we're to win.

Today will prove whether ... a) we secure a finals berth and should be about to match it with the best, or b) leave the finals door ajar for the Crows and Centrals are prove we'd only really be making up the numbers if we were to scrape in.
scott
Veteran

Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 124 times

Postby wristwatcher » Sat Aug 08, 2015 6:01 pm

wristwatcher wrote:
another grub wrote:Ravens not looking as good this week than in the last month. Still a handy side and I am undecided. Who do you think starts favourite here?

Agreed but Crows have been on fire in the last month. Adelaide 1-39

For those playing along at home Wristypunt has 3 from 3 with correct margins. Would have been a very nice multi.

For your convenience I will put next weeks all on one thread so you forum contributors can ride my coat tails to a mortgage free life ;)
The PNU Falcs 2005,06,13 x 2,14 and Div 1 Premiers in 2019......The SA 3peat - 2003,04,05
wristwatcher
Coach

Postby Wedgie » Sat Aug 08, 2015 7:19 pm

Well done to the two Crows supporters at the game abusing 2 18 yo South volunteer female trainers inappropriately. I expect Tex to be on the radio or in the paper this week whinging about them unless he's a complete ******* dickhead hypocrite.
The sooner we get this scum out of our comp the better.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2050 times
Been liked: 3894 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby wristwatcher » Sat Aug 08, 2015 7:29 pm

Wedgie wrote:Well done to the two Crows supporters at the game abusing 2 18 yo South volunteer female trainers inappropriately. I expect Tex to be on the radio or in the paper this week whinging about them unless he's a complete ******* dickhead hypocrite.

Rapists and murderers are scum. Football clubs are not. Just because you don't like it or agree with it does not make them scum.
wristwatcher
Coach

Postby Wedgie » Sat Aug 08, 2015 7:44 pm

wristwatcher wrote:
Wedgie wrote:Well done to the two Crows supporters at the game abusing 2 18 yo South volunteer female trainers inappropriately. I expect Tex to be on the radio or in the paper this week whinging about them unless he's a complete ******* dickhead hypocrite.

Rapists and murderers are scum. Football clubs are not. Just because you don't like it or agree with it does not make them scum.

Bullshit, grown men that make inappropriate and rude remarks from the sanctity of the outer where noone else is to abuse young ladies just running water with no banter involved are scum, you and I must have different standards, bet the pricks wouldn't have the balls to do it near me and if they did I'd knock their blocks off.
The SANFL needs volunteers, this scum are doing more to kill our comp than enhance it.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2050 times
Been liked: 3894 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby saintal » Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:12 pm

Scoreboard flattered South, but having said that had Eddy converted a few late chances when we had the momentum an unlikely upset could have occurred. Didn't think we had too many four quarter contributors. The club named Cross, Bass, Veide, Rose, Haren and Seccull as best players.

Boring/bland game for the most part.

Ravens will need to spend some time this week honing their goal kicking. Hell, they have enough time to devote to improving their skills.

Crowd was woeful, one of the lowest I've seen at Noarlunga. Lots of spare car-parks behind the northern goals. Whilst you cant read too much into a game against the interlopers, crowds at Noarlunga have been disappointing all year and with an aging supporter base you have to wonder where the club will be in a decade's time.

Not sure why I go to these games, usually walk away annoyed/depressed with where the league is at currently. :-({|=
SAFC- 60 years...
StKFC- 58 years..
saintal
Coach

Has liked: 346 times
Been liked: 429 times

Postby PhilH » Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:53 pm

Official Crowd - 1,441

No curtain raiser was scheduled, which made for a very strange atmosphere when we turned up about 12.30pm to set up radio gear.
PhilH
League - Top 5

Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 163 times
Grassroots Team: Happy Valley

Postby southee » Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:55 pm

Would have to be one of the lowest crowds I have ever seen at Noarlunga since watching footy at the ground.

Crows just too big, too fit for our guys. Understandable considering they are full time footy players.

I was suprised there were more crows supporters at the game today then I expected . Mainly older types or kids looking for autographs.
Did not get one supporter with a crows jacket on and also wearing a panthers scarf .....don't understand that mentality at all !!!

Thought we put up a good effort. Cross, Seccull and Bass best today for me.
Eddy missed some vital goals in last 1/4 that could of made things go either way.

Agree with Saintal , left a bit depressed and heartbroken thinking where the SANFL is headed in the future. These AFL clubs should not be in the competition. Complete farce that is costing other clubs opportunities and gaining new supporters .

Kick them out as they are not wanted in this competition !!!
Is out of change.....thanks Cambridge Clarrie!!!
southee
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 858 times
Been liked: 122 times

Postby wristwatcher » Sat Aug 08, 2015 9:14 pm

Wedgie wrote:
wristwatcher wrote:

Bullshit, grown men that make inappropriate and rude remarks from the sanctity of the outer where noone else is to abuse young ladies just running water with no banter involved are scum, you and I must have different standards, bet the pricks wouldn't have the balls to do it near me and if they did I'd knock their blocks off.
The SANFL needs volunteers, this scum are doing more to kill our comp than enhance it.

No problem with that and dare I say "gulp" I agree with you on that one. Thought you wanted the Crows Reserves out the comp as a whole and they were the scum. Hardly their fault what two pathetic individuals do.

I don't know the specifics of the incident but unprovoked abuse of volunteers is completely unacceptable. No arguments on that one.
wristwatcher
Coach

Postby saintal » Sat Aug 08, 2015 9:20 pm

PhilH wrote:Official Crowd - 1,441

No curtain raiser was scheduled, which made for a very strange atmosphere when we turned up about 12.30pm to set up radio gear.

Hard to get a read on crowds the past few years, especially these Ravens games.
SAFC- 60 years...
StKFC- 58 years..
saintal
Coach

Has liked: 346 times
Been liked: 429 times

Postby southee » Sat Aug 08, 2015 9:38 pm

saintal wrote:

1441 ??? Looked smaller than that !! Car park in the outer was pretty empty in parts.
Is out of change.....thanks Cambridge Clarrie!!!
southee
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 858 times
Been liked: 122 times

Postby Jim05 » Sat Aug 08, 2015 9:45 pm

southee wrote:
saintal wrote:

1441 ??? Looked smaller than that !! Car park in the outer was pretty empty in parts.

Would of been 500 Crows staff, all those coaches, strategists, nutritionists, fluffers and the like
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3553 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby wristwatcher » Sat Aug 08, 2015 10:00 pm

Strange. Surely there could have been a SFL game or 18s game or something, anything that would have been good for participants, spectators and the Panthers club. Maybe even give the mini league kids a proper 4 x 15 minute game. Would have been a thrill for the kids to play a proper game in front of 1,400 odd.
wristwatcher
Coach

Postby PhilH » Sat Aug 08, 2015 10:07 pm

To be balanced this was a rescheduled match
BUT
with a decent amount of notice I was surprised there was nothing but silence and maybe 100-200 people around 90 mins before the match.

Have no fear, next week the Crows curtain raiser will be FULL ON ... 24 teams playing 48 games over 4 mini ovals in a MWJFL u8, U9 & U10 Lightning Carnival.

When I turned up at 12.30pm and there was no SANFL staff, just a South volunteer at the main car park gate (not the match day one), I had a sudden chill go down my spine wondering if I had turned up at the right oval.
PhilH
League - Top 5

Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 163 times
Grassroots Team: Happy Valley

Next

Board index   Football  SANFL