Port Adelaide 2015

Talk on the national game

Re: Port Adelaide 2015

Postby Rik E Boy » Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:10 pm

daysofourlives wrote:do tell Jim?

I reckon you are the one who should be telling Daisy. Got someone "on the inside" at Port? If there is discontent I would suggest it might be because of the win- loss ratio but I'm simple like that. ;)

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1705 times
Been liked: 1822 times

Postby Jim05 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:10 pm

Was quite well known that Paddy cant keep it in his pants and there were a few rumours at the club last year that he had been seeing a team mates missus on the side. By all reports the player is close to Goddard hence why BJ was giving him a huge spray when we played them.
He supposedly asked Paddy whos wife at Port he was f**king. Heppell pulled him into line as all players were told not to engage in any sledging during the game
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1127 times
Been liked: 3567 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby RustyCage » Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:54 pm

daysofourlives wrote:
Ruben Carter wrote:
daysofourlives wrote:-some players don't want Ryder for the money he is on and will be even more pi55ed if it squeezes Schulz out.
-some players believe they get flogged too much on the training track.

That sounds like a load of Cr*p to me.
Last year we were good, this year we have been poor - and all other sides have improved. Simple as that.
I think finishing about 12th will be good for Port, I reckon we'll bounce back BIG TIME next year. :D

I can assure you its not crap, alot of unrest at Alberton

Just like a couple of years ago when all our players were going to leave and no one wanted to come to Port?
I'm gonna break my rusty cage and run
RustyCage

Has liked: 1260 times
Been liked: 933 times

Postby Brodlach » Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:04 pm

RustyCage wrote:
daysofourlives wrote:
Ruben Carter wrote:
daysofourlives wrote:-some players don't want Ryder for the money he is on and will be even more pi55ed if it squeezes Schulz out.

Last year we were good, this year we have been poor - and all other sides have improved. Simple as that.
I think finishing about 12th will be good for Port, I reckon we'll bounce back BIG TIME next year. :D

I can assure you its not crap, alot of unrest at Alberton

Just like a couple of years ago when all our players were going to leave and no one wanted to come to Port?

Then Primus left and things changed
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4217 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby Spargo » Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:06 pm

Denial isn't only a river in Egypt...
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5556 times
Been liked: 5183 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Fricky » Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:06 pm

Ruben Carter wrote:

With the way the fixtures are done now, Port should definitely bounce back next year and be a big shot at finals. Injuries to the speedster haven't helped. It'll be interesting to see who is still on Port's list next season
Fricky
League - Best 21

Has liked: 94 times
Been liked: 120 times
Grassroots Team: Walkerville

Postby Brodlach » Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:12 pm

That's a lot kudos to a bloke that hasn't even really established himself in the AFL, did little at Brisbane but played some decent football last year. Teams would have put more effort into him this season than they did as an "unknown " last season
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4217 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:13 pm

If Port miss the 8 next year is Hinkley packing his bags?

To me he has been the biggest under performer this year out of everyone... Same issues all year and never got better.
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 73 times
Been liked: 748 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby helicopterking » Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:59 pm

LaughingKookaburra wrote:If Port miss the 8 next year is Hinkley packing his bags?

To me he has been the biggest under performer this year out of everyone... Same issues all year and never got better.

Yep, I think you"re right. Have had issues defending all season, has not improved.
helicopterking
Coach

Has liked: 298 times
Been liked: 671 times

Postby Fricky » Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:28 pm

Brodlach wrote:That's a lot kudos to a bloke that hasn't even really established himself in the AFL, did little at Brisbane but played some decent football last year. Teams would have put more effort into him this season than they did as an "unknown " last season

It should have said speedsters. White has missed some footy and Polec provided some good run for them, among others. A fully fit port side is a dangerous one.

They had a tough start to the season but dropped the "easy" games they would have smashed in last year. We all know the game is played as much between the ears as anything else, if Port can get this right as well as a good run with injuries and they will be up and about again.

Hinkley will be under the pump next year, no doubt about it. It'll be interesting to see how he and his coaching staff handle it. A good finish to this season will bode well for the club
Fricky
League - Best 21

Has liked: 94 times
Been liked: 120 times
Grassroots Team: Walkerville

Postby On The Chest » Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:09 am

JK wrote:Everyone will have their own theories as to the demise of Port this year, those closer to the club will have a better clue than myself, but from an outsiders perspective, several of these seem to have added up:

- Trying to fit Ryder into the mix took a while - Did it contribute to reduced output from Westoff and Lobbe?
- White and Polec had career best seasons and provide the great majority of Ports outside run, yet neither have been available much this year.
- Has WADA had an effect on Monfries? (and maybe Ryder)
- Did the later finish to 2014, and subsequent later start to pre-season for 2015 have a negative bearing on the squads belief in their fitness level, which was a strong point the previous season.
- Loss of Richardson and Walsh.
- Faith in fringe players who had breakout seasons in 2014 - Im sure the club would have hoped some of Jonas, Neade, Impey, Young etc., would have been able to provide regular acceptable performance levels this season.
- Opposition putting a LOT of time into Port and their game style in the off-season.
- Off-season hype?

From another outsiders view, I also think the Kane Cornes retirement took a lot of focus away from the team mentality. It was a hot issue in the media for weeks. The coaching staff would have been sick and tired of hearing about it while trying to focus on team results. Port became about 1 player for a period of time and this would surely have an effect.
On The Chest
Under 16s

Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 5 times

Postby Booney » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:29 am

Jim05 wrote:

Was quite well known that Paddy cant keep it in his pants and there were a few rumours at the club last year that he had been seeing a team mates missus on the side. By all reports the player is close to Goddard hence why BJ was giving him a huge spray when we played them.
He supposedly asked Paddy whos wife at Port he was f**king. Heppell pulled him into line as all players were told not to engage in any sledging during the game

Interesting. Goddard ****** all of St Kilda when he jumped off a sinking ship. I noted he was having another verbal exchange with a team mate at half time yesterday. Who the **** does he think he is?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7532 times
Been liked: 10839 times

Postby Jim05 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:45 am

Booney wrote:
Jim05 wrote:

Interesting. Goddard ****** all of St Kilda when he jumped off a sinking ship. I noted he was having another verbal exchange with a team mate at half time yesterday. Who the **** does he think he is?

Yeah, the club trots out the line that he is just passionate but he has been far more verbal since Watson has been gone. Has been talk that the club may release him from his final year and let him have one last crack at a flag whilst he still has currency. Could probably get a half decent pick for him
Jim05
Coach

Postby MW » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:46 am

no one will go near him at this age for any decent pick.
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2640 times
Been liked: 1868 times

Postby Spargo » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:54 am

If Goddard leaves he'll miss out on all the books they were going to write & movies they were going to make when this group win a flag for Essendon :lol:
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5556 times
Been liked: 5183 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:59 am

MW wrote:no one will go near him at this age for any decent pick.

Still producing decent footy, I think he'd be a handy 2 or 3 year player for a club that needs to fill gaps around the ground.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4348 times
Been liked: 7946 times

Postby Booney » Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:09 am

Whilst I'm not going to over react to a loss like that, I'm measured enough ( I think ) to acknowledge the form the Bulldogs are currently in, I am going to bring into question the coaching group.

Clearly our plan for 2015 was to continue the blitz of 2014. Run from defence, take the game on at all costs and back ourselves to create enough opportunities to score more than the opposition. It seems as though the defensive side of our preseason may have been neglected.

Meanwhile, West Coast and the Western Bulldogs ( with Simpson and Beveridge out of the Hawthorn coaching stable ) are working on the defensive zones that have made them both top 4 sides. Now, both sides boast pretty good forward lines, but not many would say Port don't either. Schulz, Wingard, Monfries, Ryder, Westhoff and a Gray/Boak reads pretty well on paper and stacks up against either the Eagles or Dogs front half. Stacks up very well.

This group ( bar Wingard ) have had their confidence shot by the stop start play of the mids and defenders that has been caused by our inability to use the ball well enough to penetrate the zones most clubs now adopt. On the flip side it seems we don't play a zone and if we do either the formation doesn't work or the personnel in the zone aren't sticking to the structures.

So if it's a lack of zone being used, the coaches need to be looked at. Clearly the modern game is not about one-on-one forward v defender. It has moved past that for the top sides. So, do we play a zone? No, I don't think we do. I've seen enough games from Level 1 of the Riverbank Stand this year to say we don't. We play man-on-man.

With GWS, Hawthorn ( oh **** ), Gold Coast and Fremantle to come I think we might not win another one for the year and what I'd like to see in the next month is the start of a defensive zone being put in place. Use this 4 weeks as a lead into 2016 pre-season built around an improved team defence structure.

I think Lobbe will be dropped this week, he really should be anyway. He's either not fit or just really, really lacking any confidence and his pressure on the opposition on Saturday was deplorable.

As for talk of players being jealous or upset about what Ryder is on, talk about them being worked too hard on the training track. **** me. Toughen up buttercup and get on with it. From what I understand this pre-season they had this year was hardly anything compared to the one before and with an early finish this year coming I think they can expect a massive one ahead.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:11 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:

Still producing decent footy, I think he'd be a handy 2 or 3 year player for a club that needs to fill gaps around the ground.

Exactly. Probably a second rounder but would fit in somewhere like Freo
Jim05
Coach

Postby Booney » Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:12 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:

Yeah, but who wants to bring a massive cockhead into a playing group that is heading up the ladder?
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:27 am

Booney wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:

Yeah, but who wants to bring a massive cockhead into a playing group that is heading up the ladder?

Dogs took Aker and Richmond took Cousins, plenty of cockheads have changed clubs :D
Jim05
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL