"Fixing" the AFL

Talk on the national game

"Fixing" the AFL

Postby gadj1976 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:00 pm

Seems pretty complicated doesn't it? Unravelling the mess that we've got ourselves into. Do we create zones, cap interchanges, have starting points? The game is (I think) at crisis point. It's becoming quite boring. The obvious exceptions are the Bullies and anyone that can implement fast paced footy. Problem is, it's the exception to the rule. 9 games a week is too much. Too much to watch and too much to take in.

The AFL has evolved into an employment enterprise. Clubs hire more off field staff than on field.

My theory is quite simple in theory, difficult to implement in practice. But I thought I'd put it out there because I think it COULD work.

Firstly, let's look at the options.

Starting points - positives are that it will clear congestion. No doubt. Negatives - continuity in the game, penalties if it's not carried out. Potentially more foolish AFL decisions to review and stuff up.

Zones - positives are that it might clear the game up (not sure). Negatives - lots. None more so than the image of the game being aligned with netball.

Interchange caps - The initial reason the sub was brought in was because of the stats around players getting injured early and the common link of those teams losing. Putting a cap in might assist but injuries might also increase because of body fatigue.

My theory is, as I said, simple. Rid the AFL of assistant coaches. Have a head coach, fitness staff and that's it. Secondly, limit contact hours. Players can attend the club for say 40 hours a week (besides match day). The coaches then will have to hammer as much info in a limited time frame. Players will become less robotic because they'll have to use more judgement on field. Stoppages will be judgement related rather than analysed, overanalysed and overoveranalysed. And that's the crux of the problem The game is analysed to the n'th degree. And thinking forward, in 10 years time, the game is going to only get worse. Let's nip it in the bud now!

In essence, take the AFL back to semi professional.

Problems - implementing it. How do you stop the sneaky team meetings outside of hours. The only way I think it'll work is with player buy in and the AFLPA also buying in. That's the only way I think it's possible.

i know the masses will comment, I'll be interested in your thoughts not only on my suggestion, but yours as well.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 795 times
Been liked: 849 times

Re: "Fixing" the AFL

Postby mighty hounds » Sun Aug 09, 2015 9:11 pm

If zones come into the game then i will stop watching, idea is ridiculous
mighty hounds
Coach

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 285 times

Postby daysofourlives » Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:11 pm

mighty hounds wrote:If zones come into the game then i will stop watching, idea is ridiculous

I dont mind having one player must be in F50 at all times. As long as one player has to be it opens the door for a Tony Lockett type to come back into the game and I can guarantee coaches will not leave that type of player one out so will send another back, then the attacking coach will send one to man him up. Then the defensive coach will want an extra so he sends another one which the forward coach will man up and before you know it we'll have 6 players in the forward line again.
Problem solved, unless im missing something
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2415 times
Been liked: 1657 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:35 pm

perhaps we should get the umpiring right first before we start worrying about other things. Reward the bloke first to the footy more and penalise incorrect disposal. If there is issues after that still then we can at least tick off the basics on the list.

FWIW the biggest issue to me is the number of teams in the comp.
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 738 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby test » Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:42 pm

LaughingKookaburra wrote:perhaps we should get the umpiring right first before we start worrying about other things. Reward the bloke first to the footy more and penalise incorrect disposal. If there is issues after that still then we can at least tick off the basics on the list.

Was typing out the same thing. Leave the rules alone and get the umpires up to speed to adjudicate it correctly before we look at changing anything else. The inconsistencies of umpires almost make it unwatchable. I'd rather commentators have a buzzer to pay frees, constantly they will be saying "that was a free, that was paid last time, where did the umpire pull that from" everyone but the blokes in yellow seem to know the correct decisions. And that's not a shot at them either, the day to day rule changes and tweeks to rules must make it impossible for the guys with the whistle to act in the heat of the moment.
test
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 143 times
Been liked: 31 times
Grassroots Team: Wallaroo

Postby Q. » Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:56 pm

The football doesn't need fixing. The umpiring needs a goddam overhaul.
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby daysofourlives » Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:08 pm

Q. wrote:The football doesn't need fixing. The umpiring needs a goddam overhaul.

Thought the umpiring was better the other week when they paid more frees, they take way too long to call for a ball up. As soon as a tackle is made blow the whistle, its either a ball up or holding the ball or in the back (they seem to have forgotten this rule). Dont give the players a chance to get to the congestion. I have noticed creeping in is a team mate ripping the ball out of a guys hands that has been tackled, last time i checked thats a throw or incorrect disposal whatever you want to call it, its illegal to hand the ball to a team mate
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2415 times
Been liked: 1657 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby Ian » Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:31 am

LaughingKookaburra wrote:perhaps we should get the umpiring right first before we start worrying about other things. Reward the bloke first to the footy more and penalise incorrect disposal. If there is issues after that still then we can at least tick off the basics on the list.

=D>

Unfortunately the number of teams will never be fixed, the greedy Victorians/AFL wont allow Melbourne teams to go by the way side and they've invested too much into Sydney and QLD to admit traditional Rugby League states can only support 1 club each in the AFL
North Adelaide F C : Champions of Aust 1972 : Premiers 1900, 02, 05, 20, 30, 31, 49, 52, 60, 71, 72, 87, 91
Ian

Has liked: 312 times
Been liked: 93 times
Grassroots Team: Lockleys

Postby cracka » Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:54 am

At either the U16 or U18 national carnival they trialled a rule where when there was a stoppage each team had to have at least 5 players in their forward or defensive halves & 2 each inside fwd/def 50's respectively. Apparently it made the game more free flowing, had more of the traditional one on one's etc, rather than all players running to the stoppage they would run back to their traditional positions, it made sure sides didn't have 36 players in one half of the ground & no team got a free against them coz they were conscientious of the rule.
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 458 times
Been liked: 560 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:55 am

There are far too many teams and the talent pool is thin

not sure we need to implement zones etc

the game like global warming has always been in a cycle.

Only 10yrs ago the same debate was happening with the Swans and then came along Geelongs attacking style.

now the game has slipped into defence first but we have the Dogs coming through and opening the game up just as the Cats were able to do.

the main issue is the umpiring and ridiculous tinkering of the rules....
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11805 times
Been liked: 3582 times

Postby Booney » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:27 am

Watch Hawthorn, West Coast or the Bulldogs play and there's nothing wrong with the game.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby MW » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:47 am

leave the game alone ffs
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2581 times
Been liked: 1822 times

Postby mighty hounds » Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:32 am

daysofourlives wrote:
mighty hounds wrote:If zones come into the game then i will stop watching, idea is ridiculous

I dont mind having one player must be in F50 at all times. As long as one player has to be it opens the door for a Tony Lockett type to come back into the game and I can guarantee coaches will not leave that type of player one out so will send another back, then the attacking coach will send one to man him up. Then the defensive coach will want an extra so he sends another one which the forward coach will man up and before you know it we'll have 6 players in the forward line again.
Problem solved, unless im missing something

Go play/coach a netball team if you like zones
mighty hounds
Coach

Postby marbles » Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:33 am

its the rules that have already been integrated that have changed the game to what it is

or the fact that these men can run 20km per game, the distances covered enable 36 players around the ball at all times

reducing the interchange cap will help & getting rid of the sub rule
marbles
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 275 times
Been liked: 258 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:39 am

I think we should step back in time and untweak a few things that didn't need tweaking.

* Piss the interchange cap off.
* Remove the sub rule.
* Allow the bump to be used as a tool to unbalance your opposition to enable you to get possession of the ball without being tackled immediately and being pinged.
* Find umpires who all interpret the rules the same way.
* Fine tune the MRP.

The actual game doesn't need fixing although it annoys me when they kick it backwards to each other in the last few minutes as it often kills my multi's but that's just me being selfish. Having said that, it wouldn't bother me if the introduced the rule that if you kick the ball backwards in your defensive half it can't be classified as a mark.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby mighty hounds » Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:42 am

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:There are far too many teams and the talent pool is thin

not sure we need to implement zones etc

the game like global warming has always been in a cycle.

Only 10yrs ago the same debate was happening with the Swans and then came along Geelongs attacking style.

now the game has slipped into defence first but we have the Dogs coming through and opening the game up just as the Cats were able to do.

the main issue is the umpiring and ridiculous tinkering of the rules....

AFL seems to be the only sport where they feel it's necessary to make rules changes every year. How often do you see a rule in all the other major sporting organisations around the world? Hardly ever if at all. Leave the game alone! :evil:
mighty hounds
Coach

Postby marbles » Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:48 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:I think we should step back in time and untweak a few things that didn't need tweaking.

* Piss the interchange cap off.

a cap would ensure players would have to stay out on the field longer and tire, instead of rotating 4 players every 30 seconds when theyre heart rate is peaking

there is no exhaustion out there, it needs to return

the ruck rules are also ugly, i felt sick in the port bombers game when the ump pulled out infringements multiple times for simple innocent wrestling

no bouncing the ball, throw up everytime, and prevent having to bring the ball back when the ump **** up his bounce

* one forward & one defender must be in the forward 50 at all times is a rule i like
marbles
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 275 times
Been liked: 258 times

Postby Q. » Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:11 am

Ah yes, tired players, just what we need. Tired players translates to lower disposal efficiency. Lower disposal efficiency equals turnovers. Turnovers makes footy shit to watch.
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:17 am

Q. wrote:Ah yes, tired players, just what we need. Tired players translates to lower disposal efficiency. Lower disposal efficiency equals turnovers. Turnovers makes footy shit to watch.

Plus injuries.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby Rik E Boy » Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:40 pm

Too many teams, too many knee jerk rules. Piss off two teams and go back to nineties umpiring and protect the bloke going for the ball. Get rid of the sub rule, two teams and the goal review.

Job done.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1697 times
Been liked: 1813 times

Next

Board index   Football  AFL