Where to from here ?

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Where to from here ?

Postby SABRE » Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:02 pm

Assuming that the vast majority of SANFL supporters want the two AFL interlopers out of OUR league when it’s allowed, perhaps now is the time for members to start pressuring their respective club boards before the next round of club AGM’s come around. Those running our clubs (and the league) should be left in no doubt about the possible ramifications should this unfair and utterly ridiculous situation continue.

Only a united front by all members of all the clubs can force the required changes and return some integrity to the SANFL competition. I’d hate to see our clubs have to secede from the current administration, but if those in charge refuse to take notice of the majority’s wishes, then they no longer have the right to run OUR league. If starting a new S. A. league run by the clubs for the clubs, with no AFL intrusion, is forced upon us, then so be it.

Personally, I see this as an opportunity to show the AFL how a real league should operate.
i.e. Instead of ruining club histories by eradication, forced mergers etc., I’d love to see us employ a relegation system throughout ALL grades where the 2 top teams from the next tier below come up and the bottom 2 teams from the league go down. Perhaps incorporating a play-off system. That way successful clubs earn their right to get to the top, but struggling clubs don’t lose their identity, they just have to regroup to get back up again. Surely that’s the problem with the elitist, closed shop, door slamming, history-less plastic club generating, greed perpetuating, AFL abomination!
But maybe I’m just a tad biased.
;)

Given that the above pre-amble does or doesn’t come to fruition, I guess the 3 questions then become:

1) Would you like to see the 2 vacancies filled or not?
2) What system would you use to fill any vacancies?’
Or
3) Everything’s just peachy with my head in the sand whilst taking it up the clacker!
:shock:

Luv,
Sabre.
NFC 2021
SABRE
Reserves

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 44 times

Re: Where to from here ?

Postby therisingblues » Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:39 pm

Are you talking about a relegation /promotion system between sanfl and amateurs?
We could have had a system that fed a national league from the WAFL SANFL TFL and VFL with promotions and relegations between the local leagues and the national league. That opportunity has been snuffed out forever unless someone like Bill Gates takes a sudden interest in Australian football then buys it and gives it back to the fans with a new structure.
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Has liked: 369 times
Been liked: 514 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby saintal » Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:01 pm

You were going well until the relegation idea. 8) Clubs need to be held accountable by their members. Do enough people care anymore though..?

But yes, something has to change rather quickly, although many will suggest the horse has already bolted..
SAFC- 60 years...
StKFC- 58 years..
saintal
Coach

Has liked: 346 times
Been liked: 429 times

Postby VALE PARK » Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:22 pm

IMHO clubs relegated would risk losing their high profile sponsors and their all important cash flow.
Not to mention a drop off in committed members etc etc.
The thought of amalgamations with ground rationalisation is scary indeed.
A slippery slope to extinction of SANFL footy as we know it.
VALE PARK
Under 18s

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 59 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby Dutchy » Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:07 pm

saintal wrote:You were going well until the relegation idea. 8) Clubs need to be held accountable by their members. Do enough people care anymore though..?

But yes, something has to change rather quickly, although many will suggest the horse has already bolted..

Correct....I went and gave the club my opinion before the vote, they didn't listen to me or others, while I would have a lot more interest and would attend games if the AFL teams were out, Ive found other things to do and its no longer a priority of mine.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2320 times
Been liked: 3494 times

Postby gossipgirl » Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:08 am

collect up all the sooks and send them on boats :D
Adelaide Crows World champions 2017 - Crows 4.11 to Lions 4.5
gossipgirl
League - Best 21

Has liked: 1432 times
Been liked: 57 times
Grassroots Team: Boston

Postby RustyCage » Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:49 am

My question to people here is where are the next generation of supporters going to come from?

Working in schools with kids I can tell you that unless the kid has grown up with an SANFL team handed down from their parents, they don't know anything about and don't care anything about the SANFL. They couldn't tell you the name of two SANFL teams. Very different from when I was in primary school.
I'm gonna break my rusty cage and run
RustyCage

Has liked: 1260 times
Been liked: 933 times

Postby JK » Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:52 am

RustyCage wrote:My question to people here is where are the next generation of supporters going to come from?

Working in schools with kids I can tell you that unless the kid has grown up with an SANFL team handed down from their parents, they don't know anything about and don't care anything about the SANFL. They couldn't tell you the name of two SANFL teams. Very different from when I was in primary school.

Been along those lines for a while I reckon, understandable given the exposure of the AFL clubs. Having two of them running around in the Sanfl isn't going to help with that though I wouldn't have thought.

That doesn't answer your question I know, probably need to give it some more thought.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4457 times
Been liked: 2986 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby johntheclaret » Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:00 am

RustyCage wrote:My question to people here is where are the next generation of supporters going to come from?

Does that not say something about self promotion, or rather the lack of it, by the SANFL. Maybe if they spent a bit more time and effort on marketing the "State League" brand more kids might see it as an alternative to the AFL. FFS the official website doesn't work half the time.
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Postby Zorro » Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:08 am

Dutchy wrote:
saintal wrote:You were going well until the relegation idea. 8) Clubs need to be held accountable by their members. Do enough people care anymore though..?

Correct....I went and gave the club my opinion before the vote, they didn't listen to me or others, while I would have a lot more interest and would attend games if the AFL teams were out, Ive found other things to do and its no longer a priority of mine.

^this
The Cocks Will Rise Again
Zorro
Under 18s

Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 52 times

Postby areaman » Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:38 am

This was one of my main concerns two years ago when the proverbial hit the fan about this whole issue.

This exact point was made at the Eagles members forum - if kids have an AFL allegiance and that team has a presence in the SANFL then how on earth do you get them to follow/support a stand alone SANFL club?

The point was conceded but $50,000 other reasons was deemed adequate compensation.

Meanwhile I'm now quite enjoying golf on Saturday afternoons.
areaman
Under 16s

Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 31 times

Postby JK » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:12 am

My mail is that Crows and Port will only be in the SANFL for one more season, so Rusty's question is a pretty good one. Gotta find a way to get the kids interested in SANFL clubs and supporting the competition.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby wild dog » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:58 am

Im in the middle of that predicament now. I have 2 kids who adore the game and love Centrals. The kids at their school love footy and it is a fantastic environment, however the only teams you support are the Crows or Port. The Crows dominate.

My kids understand the SANFL and AFL although they are still perplexed as to why Adelaide is also in the SANFL. Their friends have no idea and its funny to watch them react with curiosity to my kids supporting a different team. The SANFL has lost so much ground on this that it will take a lot to gain some traction. I think it can still happen, but it has to be smart and the AFL teams must leave. Get away from the idea of big media, that ship has sailed, however net streaming is well and truly here. Data will continue to drop in price as the NBN is rolled out. The SANFL must invest in this space now, get smart with their APP design and start to get digital product out there.

Kids love collecting the player cards. Why not develop interactive player cards, they don't have to be fancy, business card size which should keep the price low, say 10 per club, have a QR code on the back and kids can hold it up to their tablet and watch some footage. It is not hard nor expensive, and this is the time to do it. Devote a budget for development, incorporate a scholarship for SANFL players, and develop innovative digital product.
wild dog
Under 18s

Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 180 times
Grassroots Team: Smithfield

Postby am Bays » Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:25 pm

JK wrote:My mail is that Crows and Port will only be in the SANFL for one more season, so Rusty's question is a pretty good one. Gotta find a way to get the kids interested in SANFL clubs and supporting the competition.

You been drinking coffee in a Cafe on the Parade too??? ;)
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1807 times

Postby JK » Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:52 pm

am Bays wrote:
JK wrote:My mail is that Crows and Port will only be in the SANFL for one more season, so Rusty's question is a pretty good one. Gotta find a way to get the kids interested in SANFL clubs and supporting the competition.

You been drinking coffee in a Cafe on the Parade too??? ;)

Never had a Coffee in my life mate :D
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:42 pm

Interesting.

Is this for a national reserves comp?
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby UK Fan » Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:47 pm

bennymacca wrote:

Interesting.

Nope.
fester69 wrote: I'm full of "pish and wind" !!You can call me weak !!

MW wrote: Well call me a special asshole!.

Booney wrote: I'm a happy clapper **** stick.

THE SKY HAS FALLEN!!!!
UK Fan
Coach

Has liked: 1202 times
Been liked: 502 times

Postby bennymacca » Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:53 pm

UK Fan wrote:
bennymacca wrote:

Interesting.

Nope.

great insight, thanks for that
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:56 pm

bennymacca wrote:

Interesting.

Dont think so. Think that is a fair way down the track.
I believe they have made enquiries about the VFL, apart from expenses it makes sense as the VFL is virtually a AFL ressies comp anyway and they compete against similar sides.
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3552 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby bennymacca » Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:57 pm

That makes a fair amount of sense to me.
bennymacca
Coach

Next

Board index   Football  SANFL