Southern Football League

A forum dedicated to the Southern Football League!

Re: Southern Football League

Postby shoe boy » Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:58 am

King wrote:I notice N. Manhood appears on the Porties B Grade team list today. Is this the A Grade coach and if so did he actually play ?

Yes he did
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 488 times
Been liked: 209 times

Postby shoe boy » Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:04 am

Peter Griffen wrote:Reynella over ran them kicking into a fair wind in the last.

Score anyone ?
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Postby hollywood7477 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:33 pm

shoe boy wrote:
Peter Griffen wrote:Reynella over ran them kicking into a fair wind in the last.

Score anyone ?

Reynella 12.16 88 def Morphett Vale 9.7 61
hollywood7477
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 71 times

Postby ol man emu » Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:08 pm

shoe boy wrote:

Score anyone ?

27 points
EMUS? the rock stars of the outback.
emus are berserk. they run fast, playhard,
and to be honest, we admire their insanity.
ol man emu
Under 16s

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 7 times
Grassroots Team: Morphett Vale

Postby Look Good In Leather » Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:41 pm

ol man emu wrote:
shoe boy wrote:

Score anyone ?

27 points

3 goals 9 behinds
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 284 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby King » Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:58 pm

shoe boy wrote:
King wrote:I notice N. Manhood appears on the Porties B Grade team list today. Is this the A Grade coach and if so did he actually play ?

Yes he did

As Maxwell Smart would say, "very interesting". Making up numbers or trying to qualify for finals?
King
Under 16s

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 13 times
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Postby Courtney Fish » Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:29 pm

Down the Hill wrote:Therein lies the problem with just 2 divisions in any sporting comp. The gap between Div 1 and Div 2 will often be more than a true 1 division gap. Every time a Div 1 Hills team gets relegated they either go through the next season undefeated or close to undefeated and win the flag.

If (a big IF) we ever got back to 2 Divisions, promotion and relegation should not be automatic. Lonsdale won a Div 2 flag in 2000 or 2001 with a 6-10 minor round record and then won 3 straight finals in some of worst finals conditions the SFL has encountered in my time associated with the SFL. And from memory their B grade didn't make finals that season. If we went to 2 Divisions, should a team be automatically promoted on that basis - particularly if the bottom team in Division 1 still wins 3 or 4 games.

Kangarilla was consistently the strongest the team in the period leading up to merging the divisions and they were never interested in being promoted which was probably fair enough with their lack of genuine depth and junior numbers.

Unfortunately we can keep debating the merits of the current 15 team comp and the argument around 1 or 2 Divisions but there is no quick fix unless their is a sudden reduction or increase in clubs. Getting back to an even number of teams to remove the BYE would be my first wish.

Exactly DTH. The fact that Lonsdale merged with Sullies after winning the last Div 2 flag shows the depth needed to jump to Div 1. With that 2001 team there was at least 5 players recruited from Div 1 clubs that come across knowing they didn't have to play against their old clubs. Only a couple stayed in 2002 to play against their old mates. I know Kangies had a few ex Div 1 players too.
Courtney Fish
Under 16s

Been liked: 25 times
Grassroots Team: OSB Lonsdale

Postby marbles » Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:59 am

am still curious as to where osullivans beach football club was before it merged?? anyone?
marbles
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 275 times
Been liked: 258 times

Postby Waterboy » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:15 am

marbles wrote:am still curious as to where osullivans beach football club was before it merged?? anyone?

Galloway Road, O'Sullivan Beach
Waterboy
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 2 times

Postby Dutchy » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:21 am

From memory it had much better facilities than Lonsdale has, anyone know why Lonsdale was kept as the home ground?
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby Farva » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:30 am

Dutchy wrote:From memory it had much better facilities than Lonsdale has, anyone know why Lonsdale was kept as the home ground?

Lonsdale was kept as the home ground due to the bar profits going to the football club. We also had a few issues with the soccer club at O'sullivan Beach.
Farva
Rookie

Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 5 times

Postby woodublieve12 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:40 am

Dutchy wrote:From memory it had much better facilities than Lonsdale has, anyone know why Lonsdale was kept as the home ground?

I think it was financial
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3016 times
Been liked: 2384 times

Postby Look Good In Leather » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:53 am

woodublieve12 wrote:

I think it was financial

Financial decision. They got the bar at the High School, rather than sharing it with/losing it to Soccer at Galloway Rd
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Postby twobob » Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:35 pm

Broken Down Hack wrote:
marbles wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
marbles wrote:
marion, edwardstown, brighton and morphies should just bite the bullet & play metro amateur footy where they belong & the saafl should make drastic changes to accomodate them, everybody wins and life goes on

Simply because geographically a SAAFL club south of the city is a nightmare, there is a team playing out of Gawler FFS! Give me a once a year trip to Aldinga any day.

marion to aldinga - nice

word is angle vale moving to adelaide plains league

Marion to Aldinga a 25 min drive up the expressway ...... not like Flinders Uni to Houghton 50 min + 30 sets off traffic lights ......

Sounds like its time to bring back the old Glenelg/South Adelaide league. There is already a thriving junior competition with most clubs that would geographically be in that zone. It seems to me that re-inventing that competition would solve a lot of problems.
twobob
Rookie

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times
Grassroots Team: Wudinna United

Postby lion heart » Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:34 pm

Front & Centre wrote:Some posters wont like what I have got to say but lets be honest. If the SFL doesnt do something about fixing the competition they will start to lose clubs - just not the ones it wants.
I have spoken to someone on their executive and HV will be one of many clubs that will look elsewhere. Last week against Hackham was the final straw for him. Clubs cant continually afford the loss of revenue from playing weaker clubs without a full compliment of teams and the capacity to draw a crowd through the gate. It affects gate, canteen, bar revenue significantly more than the SFL would realise
The SFL needs to stop trying to save their beloved Lonsdale (how many Lonsdale life members are on the SFL board?) and try to fix the competition before it loses the clubs keeping it afloat. 2 divisions would be a start

And how would keeping 1 division be helping us exactly? Have you been sleeping under a rock? We are getting no favours whatsoever and OSB/Lonsdale is all for a 2 division proposal.
O’Sullivan Beach F.C Est. 1975
Lonsdale F.C Est. 1977
O’Sullivan Beach/Lonsdale F.C Est. 2001
Premierships
A-Grade ~ 5
Reserves ~ 5
Juniors ~ 17
lion heart
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 62 times

Postby lion heart » Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:45 pm

Look Good In Leather wrote:
woodublieve12 wrote:

I think it was financial

Financial decision. They got the bar at the High School, rather than sharing it with/losing it to Soccer at Galloway Rd

Zero from bar takings for the last few years and a miniscule percentage before that. We were being pushed out. Club survived on gate, canteen, BBQ and a few sponsors. We never had money and couldn't pay players which was why so much young talent left after juniors and a major reason why our 2 cracks in division 1 were a failure at senior level (won at least 2 div 1 junior flags). Junior talent was never a question.
O’Sullivan Beach F.C Est. 1975
Lonsdale F.C Est. 1977
O’Sullivan Beach/Lonsdale F.C Est. 2001
Premierships
A-Grade ~ 5
Reserves ~ 5
Juniors ~ 17
lion heart
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 62 times

Postby shoe boy » Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:00 pm

2016 will we see 4 clubs introduced to the SFL and 2 divisions in place ?

2016 will we see SFL and HFL merge into 3 divisions ?

Leadership needs to take place as doing nothing is easy to do !
"I am not afraid of an army of lions led by a sheep; I am afraid of an army of sheep led by a lion"
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Postby King » Tue Aug 11, 2015 4:19 pm

shoe boy wrote:2016 will we see 4 clubs introduced to the SFL and 2 divisions in place ?

"I am not afraid of an army of lions led by a sheep; I am afraid of an army of sheep led by a lion"

WOW!! A Shoes boy into philosophy. Now I'm afraid of that!!!
King
Under 16s

Been liked: 13 times
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Postby cracka » Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:31 pm

shoe boy wrote:2016 will we see 4 clubs introduced to the SFL and 2 divisions in place ?

Does anyone from the HFL know of these changes :D
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 458 times
Been liked: 560 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby Look Good In Leather » Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:37 pm

cracka wrote:

Does anyone from the HFL know of these changes :D

They have their own issues to deal with
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  SFL