BL&G Football League

Talk on any country footy league or club from the SA Country area

Re: BL&G Football League

Postby daysofourlives » Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:59 pm

Officejet wrote:Peter Argent article doesn’t really explain why the no vote, it eludes to the “risk” to club’s committees, well this is an easy fix, don’t break the cap…. Also the fact that BLGFA club feel they already live within their means, my thoughts are BLG Clubs need to look at footy across the state and see the Bute’s and Ardrossan in home league, and the rumours around about Moonta and Pasky spend, from the outside looking in I wouldn’t thing any BLG club are in danger, but gee a few in other leagues are, and if it’s not managed carefully the game across the state will get weaker, one thinks for sure we can all thank Hamley Bridge for this, Hey Swampy

More accurate would be to thank the APFL for allowing Hamley so many points above the limit to let it happen
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2415 times
Been liked: 1657 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby daysofourlives » Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:00 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:
Officejet wrote:Hearing the BLG Club's have boned the Salary Cap proposal, 0-9 the vote…..so what happens now.

Confirmed.

I had heard they were happy for a cap around the $5000/week range, was there anything said about that?
daysofourlives
Coach

Postby daysofourlives » Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:09 pm

Nice article in The Leader today from the archives about player payments. In 1967 the then South Adelaide coach Peter Darley voiced his concerns about player payments in country footy ruining the SANFL. Players in the SANFL were paid $10/game and they could get up to $20 in the country. He also said players couldnt focus on footy, they were thinking about the money too much :)
So i guess nothings changed except the SANFL clubs sold out to the two AFL clubs and now dont have 2 cents to its name. They also eroded the prestige in playing SANFL at the same time. So now unless you think you might be a draft prospect why would you play SANFL
daysofourlives
Coach

Postby Broken Down Hack » Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:42 pm

daysofourlives wrote:Nice article in The Leader today from the archives about player payments. In 1967 the then South Adelaide coach Peter Darley voiced his concerns about player payments in country footy ruining the SANFL. Players in the SANFL were paid $10/game and they could get up to $20 in the country. He also said players couldnt focus on footy, they were thinking about the money too much :)
So i guess nothings changed except the SANFL clubs sold out to the two AFL clubs and now dont have 2 cents to its name. They also eroded the prestige in playing SANFL at the same time. So now unless you think you might be a draft prospect why would you play SANFL

CORRECT ....
Broken Down Hack
Rookie

Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 15 times

Postby human_torpedo » Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:04 am

Broken Down Hack wrote:
daysofourlives wrote:Nice article in The Leader today from the archives about player payments. In 1967 the then South Adelaide coach Peter Darley voiced his concerns about player payments in country footy ruining the SANFL. Players in the SANFL were paid $10/game and they could get up to $20 in the country. He also said players couldnt focus on footy, they were thinking about the money too much :)

CORRECT ....

Because some players still like to play in the best league in the state rather than chase cash elsewhere in country leagues.. If you think playing country footy is more prestigious than SANFL then I have grave concerns for your mental state. Maybe not as financially rewarding for some, but certainly more prestige in SANFL footy
human_torpedo
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 371 times

Postby The Bedge » Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:49 am

human_torpedo wrote:Because some players still like to play in the best league in the state rather than chase cash elsewhere in country leagues.. If you think playing country footy is more prestigious than SANFL then I have grave concerns for your mental state. Maybe not as financially rewarding for some, but certainly more prestige in SANFL footy

The prestige of playing league footy for people is still here, but the prestige of playing in the league as a whole is not what it once was because it's no longer made up of the best players in the state.
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

Postby human_torpedo » Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:00 am

Zartan wrote:
human_torpedo wrote:Because some players still like to play in the best league in the state rather than chase cash elsewhere in country leagues.. If you think playing country footy is more prestigious than SANFL then I have grave concerns for your mental state. Maybe not as financially rewarding for some, but certainly more prestige in SANFL footy

The prestige of playing league footy for people is still here, but the prestige of playing in the league as a whole is not what it once was because it's no longer made up of the best players in the state.

Yeh absolutely but that was lost when the AFL sides came in 25 years ago, its not like a recent thing.. Its still maintained its prestige as a league within the state though is my point
human_torpedo
League Bench Warmer

Postby Jim05 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:08 am

human_torpedo wrote:
Broken Down Hack wrote:

CORRECT ....

Because some players still like to play in the best league in the state rather than chase cash elsewhere in country leagues.. If you think playing country footy is more prestigious than SANFL then I have grave concerns for your mental state. Maybe not as financially rewarding for some, but certainly more prestige in SANFL footy

Perhaps the demands of SANFL are too great for what essentially is only a semi-professional league. Training 2 nights a week tops in the country is far easier for players to attend than 4 nights at a SANFL club. In these difficult financial times most people are working longer and finding it harder to take time off to attend training. You also need to have a good boss who is willing to let you have time off to train or play. Look at tonight or a Friday night game for instance, ressies start at 5:00pm and players are there probably an hour or so before the start. Makes it real hard
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3536 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby human_torpedo » Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:13 am

Because some players still like to play in the best league in the state rather than chase cash elsewhere in country leagues.. If you think playing country footy is more prestigious than SANFL then I have grave concerns for your mental state. Maybe not as financially rewarding for some, but certainly more prestige in SANFL footy[/quote]
Perhaps the demands of SANFL are too great for what essentially is only a semi-professional league. Training 2 nights a week tops in the country is far easier for players to attend than 4 nights at a SANFL club. In these difficult financial times most people are working longer and finding it harder to take time off to attend training. You also need to have a good boss who is willing to let you have time off to train or play. Look at tonight or a Friday night game for instance, ressies start at 5:00pm and players are there probably an hour or so before the start. Makes it real hard[/quote]

And I couldn't agree more with that either. My point is the prestige of playing SANFL footy is still there. Its not viable for everyone and the demands are only getting tougher, however that doesn't detract away from playing SANFL.. Just makes it hard to accommodate for some
human_torpedo
League Bench Warmer

Postby Dogwatcher » Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:15 am

In the past few years, there's been a change in regards to how players view the prestige of playing in the SANFL.
In the past there were the obvious reasons to play SANFL, now I feel that the value in the prestige is that a player can say he's played league footy, which increases his value at community football level.
Obviously I can't quantify that, it's just a feeling I've developed by watching decent players leave SANFL level at a more rapid rate than in the past.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby The Bedge » Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:22 am

Also used to be a time when SANFL players were household names, superstars to kids and role models etc.. there was prestige in playing and dedicating your time.. these days most people would probably struggle to name a dozen league players
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3188 times
Been liked: 3989 times

Postby daysofourlives » Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:18 pm

human_torpedo wrote:
Broken Down Hack wrote:

CORRECT ....

Where did i say country footy was more prestigious than SANFL?
I said when the SANFL sold its soul, your club being one of them, the prestige also went with it.
daysofourlives
Coach

Postby whufc » Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:46 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:In the past few years, there's been a change in regards to how players view the prestige of playing in the SANFL.
In the past there were the obvious reasons to play SANFL, now I feel that the value in the prestige is that a player can say he's played league footy, which increases his value at community football level.
Obviously I can't quantify that, it's just a feeling I've developed by watching decent players leave SANFL level at a more rapid rate than in the past.

Agree

In my opinion 5-10 years ago there was alot of prestige in playing in the SANFL and alot of the juniors who were coming through were also fans of the SANFL clubs they ended up playing for. In some cases zones have changed so kids are playing for teams they never cared for also.

A generation on and alot of kids dont have an attachement to an SANFL club so the SANFL is only seen as a means to getting into the AFL. Once that dream is over there is much easier and potentially more cash, more local stardum and alot less commitment playing country / amateur footy.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5566 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Jim05 » Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:57 pm

Barring a miracle the finals are all but set. South secured their spot with a comfortable win over Angaston today.
Kapunda 1 win and just under 2% clear of Freeling heading into the last round.
Freeling would need to do the near impossible and beat Centrals whilst relying on Angaston knocking off Kapunda
Jim05
Coach

Postby Borat » Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:37 pm

good effort by young panthers
hermmy has done a great effort with the kids
bright fewtur at pantherland lets get round the senior colts
Borat

Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 0 time

Postby Footy Smart » Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:43 pm

excuse my ignorance, but is this league a top 4 or 5 for finals?
Footy Smart
Coach

Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 118 times
Grassroots Team: Modbury

Postby Jim05 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:16 pm

Footy Smart wrote:excuse my ignorance, but is this league a top 4 or 5 for finals?

Jim05
Coach

Postby barrys antz » Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:13 pm

so last round of the year hows everyones team of the year looking. Media mike??

Pech Mercer Foulis
Nauman Rumbelow Vanveld
cussadia Slattery Baldwin
Hanniford Lawrey Schmidt
Asher Thomas Dempsey

Turrell Rusca Alloca

Int - Cragg-Sapsford, T Schiller Blakemore Westoff

Pretty rough but just looking at best players etc from each team and form. im sure people have others and im sure ive missed an obvious one.
barrys antz
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Tanunda

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:24 pm

barrys antz wrote:so last round of the year hows everyones team of the year looking. Media mike??

Pech Mercer Foulis
Nauman Rumbelow Vanveld
Hanniford Lawrey Schmidt
Asher Thomas Dempsey

Turrell Rusca Alloca

Pretty rough but just looking at best players etc from each team and form. im sure people have others and im sure ive missed an obvious one.

Is that the Turrell that played for Hummocks last season?
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby barrys antz » Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:35 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
barrys antz wrote:so last round of the year hows everyones team of the year looking. Media mike??

Pech Mercer Foulis
Nauman Rumbelow Vanveld
Hanniford Lawrey Schmidt
Asher Thomas Dempsey

Turrell Rusca Alloca

Is that the Turrell that played for Hummocks last season?

I believe so but I think it was 2 years ago. Was at kapunda last year
barrys antz
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Tanunda

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Country Footy