Southern Football League

A forum dedicated to the Southern Football League!

Re: Southern Football League

Postby Courtney Fish » Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:23 pm

marbles wrote:
Front & Centre wrote:Some posters wont like what I have got to say but lets be honest. If the SFL doesnt do something about fixing the competition they will start to lose clubs - just not the ones it wants.
I have spoken to someone on their executive and HV will be one of many clubs that will look elsewhere. Last week against Hackham was the final straw for him. Clubs cant continually afford the loss of revenue from playing weaker clubs without a full compliment of teams and the capacity to draw a crowd through the gate. It affects gate, canteen, bar revenue significantly more than the SFL would realise
The SFL needs to stop trying to save their beloved Lonsdale (how many Lonsdale life members are on the SFL board?) and try to fix the competition before it loses the clubs keeping it afloat. 2 divisions would be a start

lonsdale would be far better off relocating, that is a shocker of a place for a district football club, at the back of a high school

you aint gonna draw players, or crowds when 3 quarters of the oval has no parking and u cant sit in your car to watch the game

Beloved? If the SFL wanted to help out Lonsdale maybe they would look at capping Mini's of neighboring clubs or going to 2 Divs. And if we weren't at a PRIMARY school. Reynella's overflow wouldn't have anywhere to play their excess mini's teams that can't fit on Reynella oval. The Mawson Football club was created to let the kids that weren't getting a game at other clubs play footy. Back when the league thought it wasn't a good idea to let a club have as many teams as they wanted. A lot of those kids went to the school where the club is.
And when was the last time you went to the footy and everyone was sitting in their car anyway?
Courtney Fish
Under 16s

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 25 times
Grassroots Team: OSB Lonsdale

Postby cracka » Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:31 pm

Look Good In Leather wrote:
cracka wrote:
shoe boy wrote:2016 will we see 4 clubs introduced to the SFL and 2 divisions in place ?

2016 will we see SFL and HFL merge into 3 divisions ?

Leadership needs to take place as doing nothing is easy to do !
"I am not afraid of an army of lions led by a sheep; I am afraid of an army of sheep led by a lion"

Does anyone from the HFL know of these changes :D

They have their own issues to deal with

Correct, some of them are dealing with 2 divisions & promotion & relegation. Hope the SFL can learn from us.
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 458 times
Been liked: 560 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby marbles » Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:57 pm

Courtney Fish wrote:
And when was the last time you went to the footy and everyone was sitting in their car anyway?

your right, what an awesome facility you have :roll:
marbles
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 275 times
Been liked: 258 times

Postby Front & Centre » Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:10 pm

lion heart wrote:
Front & Centre wrote:Some posters wont like what I have got to say but lets be honest. If the SFL doesnt do something about fixing the competition they will start to lose clubs - just not the ones it wants.
I have spoken to someone on their executive and HV will be one of many clubs that will look elsewhere. Last week against Hackham was the final straw for him. Clubs cant continually afford the loss of revenue from playing weaker clubs without a full compliment of teams and the capacity to draw a crowd through the gate. It affects gate, canteen, bar revenue significantly more than the SFL would realise
The SFL needs to stop trying to save their beloved Lonsdale (how many Lonsdale life members are on the SFL board?) and try to fix the competition before it loses the clubs keeping it afloat. 2 divisions would be a start

And how would keeping 1 division be helping us exactly? Have you been sleeping under a rock? We are getting no favours whatsoever and OSB/Lonsdale is all for a 2 division proposal.

The recommendations from Future Directions wouldn't have helped Lonsdale - enforcing all clubs to have 5 teams on a Saturday is one example
SFL board members either abstained or voted in favour of the weaker clubs.
New committee having talks again which will likely be same result unless SFL unexpectedly grow a spine
Front & Centre
Rookie

Has liked: 33 times
Been liked: 12 times
Grassroots Team: Happy Valley

Postby Luke15 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:56 pm

Courtney Fish wrote:
marbles wrote:

lonsdale would be far better off relocating, that is a shocker of a place for a district football club, at the back of a high school

you aint gonna draw players, or crowds when 3 quarters of the oval has no parking and u cant sit in your car to watch the game

Beloved? If the SFL wanted to help out Lonsdale maybe they would look at capping Mini's of neighboring clubs or going to 2 Divs. And if we weren't at a PRIMARY school. Reynella's overflow wouldn't have anywhere to play their excess mini's teams that can't fit on Reynella oval. The Mawson Football club was created to let the kids that weren't getting a game at other clubs play footy. Back when the league thought it wasn't a good idea to let a club have as many teams as they wanted. A lot of those kids went to the school where the club is.

Courtney Fish if what i am reading is right and you think clubs like Flaggies, Brighton and Reynella should turn players away or be told by the league they have a cap on teams then you are delusional. Why stand for mediocrity why not strive to be stronger and better. These 3 clubs would be stupid to.turn players away they wanna get stronger and build sustained success. I am sure all three of these clubs have worked bloody hard to build a CULTURE that families want to come to.so they should cash in on this.
Luke15
Rookie

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 18 times

Postby vics01 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:10 pm

Courtney.

That argument is something the ALP or Greens would run in their belief of us calling each other Comrade.

Fact is kids will play where their mates play and no amount of capping will ever work.. Can't play club together will play school together then years down the track be lost to football as school is loving and caring and not about developing a CLUB culture for the kids to believe in.
vics01
Reserves

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 58 times
Grassroots Team: Cove

Postby lion heart » Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:11 pm

Front & Centre wrote:
lion heart wrote:

And how would keeping 1 division be helping us exactly? Have you been sleeping under a rock? We are getting no favours whatsoever and OSB/Lonsdale is all for a 2 division proposal.

The recommendations from Future Directions wouldn't have helped Lonsdale - enforcing all clubs to have 5 teams on a Saturday is one example
SFL board members either abstained or voted in favour of the weaker clubs.
New committee having talks again which will likely be same result unless SFL unexpectedly grow a spine

There you go again, you are either misinformed or making it up as you go. SFL Board members voted with the stronger clubs NOT in favour of the majority (I believe 9 out of 15 clubs) to make a change to 15/17s this year- that decision has PROVEN A HUGE MISTAKE. Only 5 I repeat F-I-V-E out of 15 clubs field all 5 teams in their own right on a Saturday!!! If that is not the definition of a broken league I don't know what is!!
O’Sullivan Beach F.C Est. 1975
Lonsdale F.C Est. 1977
O’Sullivan Beach/Lonsdale F.C Est. 2001
Premierships
A-Grade ~ 5
Reserves ~ 5
Juniors ~ 17
lion heart
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 62 times

Postby MatteeG » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:12 pm

Any tribunal news from tonight? Hear there were some haymakers thrown at Doctor's Road on the weekend.
helicopterking wrote:Flaggies will choke. Always have.
MatteeG
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 524 times
Been liked: 511 times
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Postby 1919 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:06 am

shoe boy wrote:2016 will we see 4 clubs introduced to the SFL and 2 divisions in place ?

"I am not afraid of an army of lions led by a sheep; I am afraid of an army of sheep led by a lion"

You and a number of others here are forever having a crack at the red coats and expressing your opinions in them being unable to run the competition competently. How about you and others who constantly criticise the maroon coats, put your money where your mouths are and nominate for a board position and further to that the chief role. It's a democracy and members of the current SFL board at least had the nuts to stand and try and do something for the league. Those who constantly snipe and grizzle that those efforts are not good enough need to man up and offer an alternative but sadly for some it's easier to point the finger than roll sleeves up and effect change.
Rookie

Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 3 times

Postby cracka » Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:46 am

1919 wrote:

You and a number of others here are forever having a crack at the red coats and expressing your opinions in them being unable to run the competition competently. How about you and others who constantly criticise the maroon coats, put your money where your mouths are and nominate for a board position and further to that the chief role. It's a democracy and members of the current SFL board at least had the nuts to stand and try and do something for the league. Those who constantly snipe and grizzle that those efforts are not good enough need to man up and offer an alternative but sadly for some it's easier to point the finger than roll sleeves up and effect change.

=D>
Unfortunately whingers are not just exclusive to SFL.
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 458 times
Been liked: 560 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby shoe boy » Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:59 am

1919 wrote:

1919 Edwardstown I believe?
I have a role to play in the SFL as a director and advocate over the past 20 years and always will have a say as I love my club and comp. Maybe you are correct and I will take stock of my position going forward as nothing appears to change . Last years vote gutted me when the clubs voted for change in age groups but our President had a casting vote even though most of the board abstained from voting . Then the board attempted to introduce a document that would protect their own from loosing a position on the board!! This arrogance goes on and on ,don't get me wrong their is some quality people on the board but way way way too many sheep.

So 1919 be careful for what you wish as you may not like the outcome ;)
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 488 times
Been liked: 209 times

Postby 1919 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:07 am

shoe boy wrote:
1919 wrote:

1919 Edwardstown I believe?
I have a role to play in the SFL as a director and advocate over the past 20 years and always will have a say as I love my club and comp. Maybe you are correct and I will take stock of my position going forward as nothing appears to change . Last years vote gutted me when the clubs voted for change in age groups but our President had a casting vote even though most of the board abstained from voting . Then the board attempted to introduce a document that would protect their own from loosing a position on the board!! This arrogance goes on and on ,don't get me wrong their is some quality people on the board but way way way too many sheep.

So 1919 be careful for what you wish as you may not like the outcome ;)

Ex Exwardstown official Shoe Boy and not involved since 2013 due to the shenanigans of the juniors arm and health issues.

You say you HAVE a role to play as in SFL as a director and advocate for the past 20 years, are you a current SFL director? I'm guessing no, so your comment should then read HAD a role.....

What you describe above is exactly my point, unless those that are not satisfied with decisions of current SFL regime, get off their backsides and facilitate change by putting themselves in a position where they can directly facilitate change then nothing will change and the Complaining and grizzling is futile.

I'm all for Progress and to be honest do not care what outcome for EFC may be in wash up of any SFL football restrucure on the back of SFL board or SFL club decisions.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but any changes in SFL ultimately comes back to the clubs as it is clubs that field delegates and board members. An organised plan and hard lobbying will ultimately get what the majority want, IF and only IF, those wanting change are prepared to force the required change to SFL board to get the outcomes the majority want.
Rookie

Postby Mister Footy » Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:21 pm

1919 wrote:

Rumour has it there is a certain leader of SFL club ready to challenge for SFL President role. Could make cracker AGM :shock:
Mister Footy
Under 18s

Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 28 times

Postby vics01 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:17 pm

MF
Rumour has it there is a certain leader of SFL club ready to challenge for SFL President role. Could make cracker AGM :shock:

Rumour has it he is from HV. Rumour also has it from the SFL board is that they will have the numbers to defeat it.
vics01
Reserves

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 58 times
Grassroots Team: Cove

Postby sweendog » Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:25 pm

the sfl is a bigger "boys club" than fifa, saca & sacfl put together!
oh when the saints go marching in
sweendog
Rookie

Has liked: 1 time
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby Courtney Fish » Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:39 pm

vics01 wrote:Courtney.

That argument is something the ALP or Greens would run in their belief of us calling each other Comrade.

Fact is kids will play where their mates play and no amount of capping will ever work.. Can't play club together will play school together then years down the track be lost to football as school is loving and caring and not about developing a CLUB culture for the kids to believe in.

They will be lost to the game eventually when there is no room for them in the senior teams.

Clubs with 150 plus mini's complaining that they can't get a full Saturday of matches because some clubs don't have a full deck of junior teams.
I wonder why?

Caps should be trialled at under 8's before they even start at a club.
Courtney Fish
Under 16s

Postby Dutchy » Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:19 pm

Bring caps in and kids will go to soccer and basketball, is that what we want?
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3484 times

Postby Front & Centre » Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:22 pm

Courtney Fish wrote:

They will be lost to the game eventually when there is no room for them in the senior teams.

Clubs with 150 plus mini's complaining that they can't get a full Saturday of matches because some clubs don't have a full deck of junior teams.
I wonder why?

That's the way CF - blame the stronger clubs. Ever thought players and families are attracted to successful clubs? Let alone playing with their mates?
You want a greater chance of success? Look for a club to merge with or change leagues. Its that simple
Front & Centre
Rookie

Has liked: 33 times

Postby 1919 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:58 pm

Dutchy wrote:Bring caps in and kids will go to soccer and basketball, is that what we want?

We keep hearing that argument but I'm not convinced. Is there any proof out there other than heresay? community Football surely must have some data on that?
Last edited by 1919 on Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rookie

Postby Courtney Fish » Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:57 pm

Front & Centre wrote:
Courtney Fish wrote:

I wonder why?

That's the way CF - blame the stronger clubs. Ever thought players and families are attracted to successful clubs? Let alone playing with their mates?
You want a greater chance of success? Look for a club to merge with or change leagues. Its that simple

I'm blaming the League not the stronger clubs. Why does the AFL have a salary cap and a draft? To make it a fairer and even comp. Just my opinion though, if we had 200 mini's my opinion might change.
Courtney Fish
Under 16s

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  SFL