West Coast Eagles Season 2015

Talk on the national game

Re: West Coast Eagles Season 2015

Postby MJ_23 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:44 pm

Talk continues that Scoot will be heading East after this season, http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-07-31/s ... ng-in-2016
MJ_23
Under 16s

Has liked: 90 times
Been liked: 26 times
Grassroots Team: Tumby Bay

Postby helicopterking » Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:41 pm

MJ_23 wrote:Talk continues that Scoot will be heading East after this season, http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-07-31/s ... ng-in-2016

Seems to be building momentum.
We will get Late First Round Compensation.
If we did use it this year, I'd rather it on Yarran than Jetta. Maybe even Bennell
helicopterking
Coach

Has liked: 298 times
Been liked: 670 times

Postby Jim05 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:39 pm

helicopterking wrote:
MJ_23 wrote:Talk continues that Scoot will be heading East after this season, http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-07-31/s ... ng-in-2016

If we did use it this year, I'd rather it on Yarran than Jetta. Maybe even Bennell

Bennell aint going nowhere for anything less than a top 10 pick
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1127 times
Been liked: 3566 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby MJ_23 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:28 pm

Jim05 wrote:
helicopterking wrote:

Bennell aint going nowhere for anything less than a top 10 pick

Yeah going to take more than a pick 20 for Harley.

Doubt he will move. More interested in Yarran, Motlop and Jetta.
MJ_23
Under 16s

Has liked: 90 times
Been liked: 26 times
Grassroots Team: Tumby Bay

Postby helicopterking » Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:54 pm

That was seriously good win today. Freo dominated play for long periods of time and our defence held up again. Fair effort considering Brown,MacKenzie,Mcgovern and Schofield being subbed at half time weren't there. Sheppard, Hurn, Wellingham have been huge so far this season.
We were sharp early, but blokes stood up when they needed to, which they didn't do against the Hawks the week before. We are still learning how to absorb pressure, it's still a fair way away,but it's getting better.
No Lecras,Nic Nat, Duggan, McGovern,Selwood today. Nic Nat was best on for us last time and Lecras kicked 5 last time we played them.
helicopterking
Coach

Postby helicopterking » Sun Aug 30, 2015 4:42 pm

On well, just didn't turn up today. Played lazy footy. Nothing lost, just need to beat St Kilda @ home next week. Lost 1
Really liked Sheeds Game today, everyone looks good when you play well, but to play well when everything isn't working, shows he will be a class player for years to come.
Hopefully McGoverns shoulder injury isn't to bad, and if he has next week off, so be it.
Should see the return of Masten,Selwood,Wellingham and Schofield in the next week or two, probably for Bennell,Newmann, McGinnity and Barrass.
Looking forward to the Hawks in a Couple a weeks.
helicopterking
Coach

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:06 pm

I'll be very interested to see how WCE go in September. They remind me of the Crowbots in 2005 with their well structured game plan and set up teams to fail when they dispose the footy. I just wonder when finals come up and the games go to more of a 1 on 1 pressured environment whether they are talented enough to go 1 on 1 across the field with Hawthorn, Sydney, Bulldogs ect.
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 73 times
Been liked: 747 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby helicopterking » Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:51 pm

LaughingKookaburra wrote:I'll be very interested to see how WCE go in September. They remind me of the Crowbots in 2005 with their well structured game plan and set up teams to fail when they dispose the footy. I just wonder when finals come up and the games go to more of a 1 on 1 pressured environment whether they are talented enough to go 1 on 1 across the field with Hawthorn, Sydney, Bulldogs ect.

Bulldogs? Beat them by 13 goals with no backline just last week.
Hawks are still number 1, and Sydney always play hard contested footy. And both teams have firepower up forward that will take our makeshift backline apart. WC at home are a different side, especially when something is actually on the end of it.
helicopterking
Coach

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:05 pm

West Coast at home are a different story when something is on the line based on what? They lost to Hawthorn recently....

Bulldogs are a young side but have genuine talent spread across the field. i reckon they are dangerous and they play a style of footy that I think can stand up in September. Be an interesting finals series and as I mentioned I am happy to be proven wrong.
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Postby helicopterking » Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:33 pm

LaughingKookaburra wrote:West Coast at home are a different story when something is on the line based on what? They lost to Hawthorn recently....

Bulldogs are a young side but have genuine talent spread across the field. i reckon they are dangerous and they play a style of footy that I think can stand up in September. Be an interesting finals series and as I mentioned I am happy to be proven wrong.

Lost to Hawks after leading for long period of time, it's a game that could have went either way.
Have you watch West coast in Perth at all this season?
helicopterking
Coach

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:39 pm

They still lost, doesn't matter how long they led for.

I've watched West Coast this year, I just doubt the talent to go 1 on 1 across the entire field for 120 minutes against the top end clubs.
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Postby helicopterking » Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:58 pm

Neither do a lot of teams. Our backline is a concern, has been since Round 1. The rest of the ground we go pretty close to matching most of the top teams at full strength. My concern is that we could maybe tackle slightly more.
We still fear losing to much at the moment. Which mean we will panic a little when the games on the line. That comes with experience.
Crows had a fair bit more on the line, and played like it. Crows at full strength @ home are always tough for any team, especially when not switched on.
Hard not to feel like you've based your opinion on what you saw today, Not based on the season thus far.
helicopterking
Coach

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:26 pm

No it's not just based on today. Their initial game plan as mentioned previously reminds me of the Crowbots 2005. They have a very good zone set up that forces teams to turn the footy over or go away from their initial game plan. However when it comes to more 1 on 1 traditional finals footy then I just think they struggle. As I said we'll see in 2 weeks.
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Postby MW » Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:41 am

Crows found the way through the Weagle Webb yesterday with fast, dare I say accurate, ball movement through the corridor. They did not give WCE enough time to close the webb
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2638 times
Been liked: 1868 times

Postby helicopterking » Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:59 am

MW wrote:Crows found the way through the Weagle Webb yesterday with fast, dare I say accurate, ball movement through the corridor. They did not give WCE enough time to close the webb

WC put very little pressure on the ball carrier yesterday, so you had plenty of time to pick and choose which option you wanted to take.
Your defence is only as good as your midfield pressure is.
helicopterking
Coach

Postby MW » Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:02 am

Agree with that but isnt that the Eagles way? They close in on the kick to the middle or half forward but don't put much pressure on the half backs. Seemed the crows moved it past the area where they close the web and got it deeper to the one on ones instead.
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2638 times
Been liked: 1868 times

Postby helicopterking » Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:28 am

MW wrote:Agree with that but isnt that the Eagles way? They close in on the kick to the middle or half forward but don't put much pressure on the half backs. Seemed the crows moved it past the area where they close the web and got it deeper to the one on ones instead.

The whole web thing is purely based on pressure on the kicker. It wasn't there yesterday. Once you get out the back of the 'Web' it's open slather,has been all year. So as soon as the tackling pressure drops, the easier it is to penetrate. Selwood and Masten back will help with that pressure on the kicker.
Simpson will tinker with it once we get back our main backmen next season, but we struggled yesterday without Schofield, who usually goes with Walker, which made McGovern play higher up the ground, which WC don't want McGovern or Hurn dragged up the ground, which exposed Barrass(3rd game)to Jenkins yesterday. Wellingham was the other bloke we missed, he would have ran with Lynch, who we didn't really have a match up for.
helicopterking
Coach

Postby Rik E Boy » Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:43 pm

LaughingKookaburra wrote:They still lost, doesn't matter how long they led for.

I've watched West Coast this year, I just doubt the talent to go 1 on 1 across the entire field for 120 minutes against the top end clubs.

No Nic Nat in the Hawk game. He's huge for them and will be especially huge against the Hawks as their Rucks aren't as dominant as other areas of their team.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1705 times
Been liked: 1821 times

Postby bennymacca » Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:55 pm

Rik E Boy wrote:

No Nic Nat in the Hawk game. He's huge for them and will be especially huge against the Hawks as their Rucks aren't as dominant as other areas of their team.

regards,

REB

Jacobs towelled him up good and proper on the weekend. Hasnt been too many times that Natanui has lost the hitouts and hitouts to advantage. Maybe against Sandi.

But yes, that is pretty rare, Natanui giving WC first use over in Perth, I think they will beat hawthorn.
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby helicopterking » Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:05 pm

bennymacca wrote:
Rik E Boy wrote:

regards,

REB

Jacobs towelled him up good and proper on the weekend. Hasnt been too many times that Natanui has lost the hitouts and hitouts to advantage. Maybe against Sandi.

But yes, that is pretty rare, Natanui giving WC first use over in Perth, I think they will beat hawthorn.

Nic Nat only played 66% of game time, way down on his usual. Jacobs played 84%.
helicopterking
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL