The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

Postby Booney » Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:07 pm

saintal wrote:
What do the AFL have to gain by establishing a nation wide reserves comp? Would it only eventuate from pressure coming from clubs?

Foxtel may or may not be interested in it. Even still you'd imagine the expenses would outweigh any rise in revenue?

I would have thought the current arrangements (certainly in WA, SA and Vic) work rather nicely for the AFL. Cant comment on the NEAFL.

I haven't given it all much thought, just curious how others see it.

The AFL would see no reason to do so, unless there was a commercial benefit and it's very, very unlikely that Foxtel would be interested in shelling out anything substantial after the failed Foxtel Cup program to televise AFL seconds.

Yes, the current arrangements seemingly work very well for the AFL and the AFL clubs, so I can't see any clubs pressuring the AFL to do anything about it.

Clearly it doesn't work for the SANFL,VFL and WAFL, the NEAFL is a different case as it's a manufactured competition to suit the Northern states AFL sides and not a traditional club competition like the others mentioned.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7494 times
Been liked: 10781 times

Postby am Bays » Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:09 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:I would place an AFL reserves or, at the least, an AFL reserves comp featuring SA/Vic sides ahead of a women's league.
Heck, I'd even place having AFL umpires full time ahead of the reserves concept.

The AFL don't care about what we like DW, it has or think it has us hooked already. A national reserves comp wont change our football habits or love of the sport (even though my love of the sport is not directed at the level the AFL wants me to) .

A national womens competition is aimed at converting those who may not like footy as much as we do into fans like us.
Last edited by am Bays on Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 164 times
Been liked: 1812 times

Postby Booney » Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:10 pm

am Bays wrote:An AFL womens competition helps the AFL secure/maintain/increase Fed Govt funding for participation programs through getting more people active in Sport.

A national womens competition supports that pathway to make it attractive to girls to take up Footy.

More female participation and interest in Australian Football means the AFL can attract more or demand of more from sponsors which = dollars.

A national reserves cometition is low on the list of the AFLs list of priorities. Why would they want to? They have their clubs' "reserves" teams playing in good local state leagues (except for the Northern States). They aren't going to start spending money flying up to an extra 270 people around he country each week and accommodating them if they can avoid it.

A national reserves competiton is no where near as finacially viable to the AFL as national womens competition is. And while the AFL likes footy, it loves money more!!!

It may be on the wish list of some of the clubs but that wish is secondary to more $$$ from the next AFL TV rights deal for their own corporate and 1st team spending priorities (dev coaches, resources, fact trips O/S, O/S training camps , crytherpay chambers etc).

A national reserves competition is a LOOOOOOOONNNGGG way off despite what some on here might wish for.

Correct. I read an AFL spokesperson say that without a TV deal a reserves competition would have to be funded by taking monies currently used for development of the game at all levels, thus cutting funding at grass roots level. Nobody wants that.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Gozu » Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:11 pm

Wedgie wrote:I watched a bit of the woman's game yesterday on TV, was bloody impressed with the style and skills.

I missed the game unfortunately but really wanted to see it. The ad I saw promoting it looked quite impressive even though highlights always do.
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 660 times

Postby Dutchy » Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:22 pm

Again why can Cricket, NRL and Soccer all have national reserves teams but the richest sport of all of them can't?
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2326 times
Been liked: 3506 times

Postby Wedgie » Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:26 pm

Dutchy wrote:Again why can Cricket, NRL and Soccer all have national reserves teams but the richest sport of all of them can't?

Much bigger teams, bigger distances, more support staff.
A much dearer proposition.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2050 times
Been liked: 3894 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby am Bays » Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:28 pm

Dutchy wrote:Again why can Cricket, NRL and Soccer all have national reserves teams but the richest sport of all of them can't?

It can, but it doesn't want to because it wants to spend it's money elsewhere and it has the state league infrastructure so it doesn't need to!

Simples!

You're a smart man Dutchy you of all people knows the AFL means one thing - $$$$$ for itself.

Do the right thing, reject all things AFL and come back to the SANFL

It IS the best footy hands down
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:30 pm

I think if you are looking for games to play as curtain raisers to afl games, women's games would make a lot more sense than a reserves game
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Pseudo » Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:30 pm

Because the AFL has found a patsy (or three) to carry the burden for them. No doubt this satisfies KPIs of several AFL bigwigs and (some of) the money thus saved will find its way into bonus cheques. But it's Good For Development!
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Been liked: 1559 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Postby Wedgie » Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:31 pm

The AFL already have their own reserves comp, why would they want a second one?
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2050 times
Been liked: 3894 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Pseudo » Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:32 pm

am Bays wrote:Do the right thing, reject all things AFL and come back to the SANFL

Glad to see you've come round to the right point of view Mods. Did you enjoy your family time on Friday night?
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Been liked: 1559 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Postby am Bays » Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:58 pm

Pseudo wrote:
am Bays wrote:Do the right thing, reject all things AFL and come back to the SANFL

Glad to see you've come round to the right point of view Mods. Did you enjoy your family time on Friday night?

I differ slightly too you, I still want to go and watch my team despite who they are playing. I respect your position and love how you continue to support the club whilst maintaining your principled stance.

However, Glenelg is my drug. An addiction I can't break no matter how hard I try or how down it leaves me. I keep coming back searching for that ellusive High......
am Bays
Coach

Postby Booney » Mon Aug 17, 2015 1:02 pm

am Bays wrote:
Pseudo wrote:

I differ slightly too you, I still want to go and watch my team despite who they are playing. I respect your position and love how you continue to support the club whilst maintaining your principled stance.

However, Glenelg is my drug. An addiction I can't break no matter how hard I try or how down it leaves me. I keep coming back searching for that ellusive High......

:-#
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 1:07 pm

Booney wrote:
Dogwatcher wrote:I would place an AFL reserves or, at the least, an AFL reserves comp featuring SA/Vic sides ahead of a women's league.
Heck, I'd even place having AFL umpires full time ahead of the reserves concept.

I don't doubt that for one moment. Needless to say the AFL doesn't appear to though.

By the look of it the reserves are in the SANFL for some time. I reakon this thread might crack 1000 pages.

Wont be around for some time, the league will be gone by then. If enough people walk away from the comp it will force their hands to do something.
At the very least they have to cap the playing list at 12 AFL players because the day a AFL ressies wins the flag will be the day the comp dies.
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3553 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby LPH » Mon Aug 17, 2015 1:14 pm

bennymacca wrote:I think if you are looking for games to play as curtain raisers to afl games, women's games would make a lot more sense than a reserves game

My 10 yr old daughter is playing her 1st season of footy with her school (4/5 comp) - 2 girls in team.
Seeing the grab on Foxtel with the players - made her light up.
"So girls can play AFL on TV too, Dad?"

Reckon a Women's Comp is where the $$$ would go 1st before Reserves - more TV appeal.
Stephen Trigg & Rob Chapman are SA Football Patriots
LPH
League - Best 21

Has liked: 541 times
Been liked: 326 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby Dogwatcher » Mon Aug 17, 2015 1:52 pm

Honestly, does it equate to more tv appeal?
It's going to take a massive change in perspective from the sport-viewing public for that to be the case.

I'm happy to concede the AFL may be heading in the right direction for its own interests with a women's comp. That's definitely true. I just think there's other things need to be looked at first.
Last edited by Dogwatcher on Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby johntheclaret » Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:17 pm

bennymacca wrote:
johntheclaret wrote:
Dogwatcher wrote:Interesting the AFL is now looking at a women's competition by 2017, but money is a prohibitive factor in setting up an AFL reserves competition.

Only if they swap shirts at the end

And then you wonder why people view SANFL supporters as outdated...

Sorry, shoulda put a ;) in there so it was obvious to ultra forward thinking people like you that it was just in jest.

Im sure it's only the ultra forward thinking people like you who view SANFL supporters as outdated. You know, the same ultra forward thinking people that thought having the reserves in the SANFL is / was a good thing for the comp,
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Postby UK Fan » Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:20 pm

johntheclaret wrote:
bennymacca wrote:
johntheclaret wrote:
Dogwatcher wrote:Interesting the AFL is now looking at a women's competition by 2017, but money is a prohibitive factor in setting up an AFL reserves competition.

Only if they swap shirts at the end

And then you wonder why people view SANFL supporters as outdated...

Sorry, shoulda put a ;) in there so it was obvious to ultra forward thinking people like you that it was just in jest.

Im sure it's only the ultra forward thinking people like you who view SANFL supporters as outdated. You know, the same ultra forward thinking people that thought having the reserves in the SANFL is / was a good thing for the comp,

And he's part of the happy majority apparently.
fester69 wrote: I'm full of "pish and wind" !!You can call me weak !!

MW wrote: Well call me a special asshole!.

Booney wrote: I'm a happy clapper **** stick.

THE SKY HAS FALLEN!!!!
UK Fan
Coach

Has liked: 1202 times
Been liked: 502 times

Postby johntheclaret » Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:51 pm

And on a serious note. Women's Aussie Rules won't amount to anything more than a bit of a side show. Just like women's cricket, women's soccer, rugby or any other male dominated team sport. Except the bigger drawback for Ausie Rules is it won't have the odd booster like say the women's Ashes Series or the women's World Cup. These international tournaments at least generate some media interest which boosts national interest for a short period but it never develops into anything more.

I'm not degrading women's sport in general or women's Aussie Ruless specifically. History shows that women's team sports never draw the same sustainable crowds and interest (ergo: media interest), that translates into in investment $$$. And it's for that reason the powers in the AFL wouldn't be interested in investing more than some nominal amount.

I would think the amount pales into insignificance compared to the cash injection required to get a national AFL reserves comp up and running and significant funding to maintain it. Given the general lack of interest in their clubs reserves teams by followers of most, if not all, sports then the AFL would know raising enough media and investment funding to pay for an ongoing national reserves comp would prove almost impossible.

At least they would have the novelty factor and some short termed media exposure for very little investment into the women's game, which not only gives the brand a bit of a boost but shows them in a positive, all embracing light.

Well at least that's how I see it.
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Postby bennymacca » Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:11 pm

johntheclaret wrote:And on a serious note. Women's Aussie Rules won't amount to anything more than a bit of a side show. Just like women's cricket, women's soccer, rugby or any other male dominated team sport. Except the bigger drawback for Ausie Rules is it won't have the odd booster like say the women's Ashes Series or the women's World Cup. These international tournaments at least generate some media interest which boosts national interest for a short period but it never develops into anything more.

I'm not degrading women's sport in general or women's Aussie Ruless specifically. History shows that women's team sports never draw the same sustainable crowds and interest (ergo: media interest), that translates into in investment $$$. And it's for that reason the powers in the AFL wouldn't be interested in investing more than some nominal amount.

I would think the amount pales into insignificance compared to the cash injection required to get a national AFL reserves comp up and running and significant funding to maintain it. Given the general lack of interest in their clubs reserves teams by followers of most, if not all, sports then the AFL would know raising enough media and investment funding to pay for an ongoing national reserves comp would prove almost impossible.

At least they would have the novelty factor and some short termed media exposure for very little investment into the women's game, which not only gives the brand a bit of a boost but shows them in a positive, all embracing light.

Well at least that's how I see it.

Very good post, I agree with that entirely.
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL