Surely the AFL can now afford a Reserves Comp

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Surely the AFL can now afford a Reserves Comp

Postby VALE PARK » Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:01 am

Given their massive cash windfall.
Now is the hour, please just do it for SA Mr McLaughlin!
VALE PARK
Under 18s

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 59 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Re: Surely the AFL can now afford a Reserves Comp

Postby JK » Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:24 am

Moves have been afoot behind the scenes for a while now to establish a Ressies Comp. Whether it just involves the Vic clubs, or all clubs nationally Im not sure given Jake Parkinson's public sell of how well the Crows and Power are benefitting from the SANFL comp.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4438 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby VALE PARK » Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:43 am

Let us hope all the SANFL presidents listen to their members and supporters,
and let the SANFL know what the rank and file footy people want.
As I fear we are heading for ground rationalisation
and amalgamations with dropping attendances.
Getting this right could help save the SANFL competition.
It deserves to be saved.
Last edited by VALE PARK on Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VALE PARK
Under 18s

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 59 times

Postby am Bays » Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:44 am

As discussed on here two days ago they can afford it now but they are not going to do it

from this new TV deal the money will go to:

AFL players - as percent sharing as part of their EBA
The clubs - which will be used to hire more staff for their elite players, retire debt, expand footy programs.
Expand the game in the Northern markets - SA, WA and VIC are already hooked so no need to spend the same amount of money there.
Retire AFL debt
A national womens competition
Infrastructure grants
Increasing the payroll at AFL house

The AFl has no need for a reserves competition when it's 2nds teams are playing in good state league competitions which is far cheaper than running an AFL Reserves competition.

It will not happen in the foreseeable future i.e. the life of this TV ddeal.

it will br brought up though, to keep the soverign SANFL, AFL Victoria, WAFL clubs in line as a stick to keep the state league competitions favourable to the AFL clubs.

Get excited about the rumours of a national reserves competition if you wish though
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1804 times

Postby whufc » Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:48 am

am Bays wrote:As discussed on here two days ago they can afford it now but they are not going to do it

The clubs - which will be used to hire more staff for their elite players, retire debt, expand footy programs.
Expand the game in the Northern markets - SA, WA and VIC are already hooked so no need to spend the same amount of money there.
Retire AFL debt
Infrastructure grants

The AFl has no need for a reserves competition when it's 2nds teams are playing in good state league competitions which is far cheaper than running an AFL Reserves competition.

it will br brought up though, to keep the soverign SANFL, AFL Victoria, WAFL clubs in line as a stick to keep the state league competitions favourable to the AFL clubs.

Get excited about the rumours of a national reserves competition if you wish though

Unfortunately it's the truth
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby JK » Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:02 am

am Bays wrote:As discussed on here two days ago they can afford it now but they are not going to do it

Retire AFL debt
Infrastructure grants

Thats what I always believed too, but have had some pretty strong mail in recent times to suggest it isn't the case. As early as 2017 is what Ive been told. Who the F**k knows??
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby Wedgie » Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:08 am

Hooray, another thread!
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2020 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby darley16 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:20 am

Be careful of what you wish for. AFL reserves comp will drain players from SANFL/VFL/WAFL, our comp (and all State Leagues) ) will left be behind with lesser skilled players and lesser relevance.
darley16
Under 18s

Has liked: 232 times
Been liked: 58 times

Postby am Bays » Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:20 am

darley16 wrote:Be careful of what you wish for. AFL reserves comp will drain players from SANFL/VFL/WAFL, our comp (and all State Leagues) ) will left be behind with lesser skilled players and lesser relevance.

Yup
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1804 times

Postby Wedgie » Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:37 am

Player drain would be minimal as all AFL sides have second sides ATM anyway.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2020 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby stan » Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:48 am

Wedgie wrote:Player drain would be minimal as all AFL sides have second sides ATM anyway.

I think you are right there. Wouldnt be horrific in my opinion.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times

Postby Pseudo » Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:50 am

am Bays wrote:The AFl has no need for a reserves competition when it's 2nds teams are playing in good state league competitions which is far cheaper than running an AFL Reserves competition.

Indeed.

The corollary of this statement is that the parasites will look elsewhere when the state league competitions cease to be of sufficient calibre or the cost-to-benefit becomes prohibitive.

This will happen, be it two years or twenty, but it will happen. Hopefully it happens for the second reason - but with the dickheads on the commission doing their best to toady up to the big boys while letting the league as a whole suffer, I think it will happen for the first reason.

A further possibility is that when the league is on the brink of collapse as sovereign clubs begin to fold then the AFL would step in and take control of the league, turning it into an AFL reserves league by proxy. We're halfway there as things stand.
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1553 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Postby JK » Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:53 am

What are current AFL list sizes, 47 inc rookies (bit of guesswork there, happy to be corrected)?

2 teams of 21, with say 1 player held over as emergency leaves room for no more than 4 players being unavailable, which is a rarity. Top ups will definitely be required. Would imagine the bulk of them though will come from the TAC Cup.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby Booney » Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:55 am

JK wrote:What are current AFL list sizes, 47 inc rookies (bit of guesswork there, happy to be corrected)?

2 teams of 21, with say 1 player held over as emergency leaves room for no more than 4 players being unavailable, which is a rarity. Top ups will definitely be required. Would imagine the bulk of them though will come from the TAC Cup.

Well, there's another one. Would the competition include an Academy type set up for the non Victorian clubs?

Vic's keep the TAC going and clubs outside of VIC implement a national U18's comp? Again, further funding but just an idea.....
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:58 am

The A League has a Youth league - All players in the youth teams are between the ages of 16 and 21 as of the start of the calendar year for each new season, while four over-age players from each of the senior teams are also allowed to be selected.

Could the AFL use a similar sort of system, after all, this is the target age of players who are drafted? Fits the AFL's needs and gives players a chance to learn the systems required.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby JK » Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:14 pm

Booney wrote:
JK wrote:What are current AFL list sizes, 47 inc rookies (bit of guesswork there, happy to be corrected)?

Well, there's another one. Would the competition include an Academy type set up for the non Victorian clubs?

Vic's keep the TAC going and clubs outside of VIC implement a national U18's comp? Again, further funding but just an idea.....

I would imagine non-Vic clubs would look to their state U18's comps for top-ups
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:44 pm

There has been murmurings about all clubs getting some sort of academy like the northern states - maybe each afl club would get an U18s as well where the topups come from.

I guess this is where the costs start racking up
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby therisingblues » Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:59 pm

Sorry to post this here, but this would be the most relevant thread to put it in without starting up another.
With this TV rights deal, we are being told how wonderful it is for SA fans (read, Crows and Power fans, the majority but NOT ALL SA fans) are great winners in this deal. Sort of makes me think of the book 1984 and the quote Pseudo put up on another thread recently. Anyway, this massive amount of money going to the AFL from the TV stations also buys influence. They had influence before; coaches MUST meet with the media, stupid interviews with players DURING games, media in the change rooms whenever they liked, game CANNOT be restarted after a goal until all the ads being shown in TV land (to all the people watching at home rugged up in front of their open fires) have finished and the goal umpire MUST stand in the middle of the goals when delivering the goal signal, because it looks so good on TV. I can guess that, as with other aspects of our culture, wherever there are massive amounts of money involved, whoever has supplied that massive amount has an ownership in proportion to that massive amount of cash, and that TV's ownership/influence/ hold on the game most likely goes beyond the few examples I have provided here.
So the money has more or less doubled for this next deal, and everybody's busy deciding who gets what, meanwhile I worry that TV cares only about the money making ability of our great game, everything else is secondary, if they decide they want to insert three ads between goals (for example) who will stop them? If they decide to mike up the umps during games, to explain decisions to a TV audience trained up to expect such things, who will stop that? If they decide to have a gymnast dressed up to resemble a lycra clad 70's style glass coke bottle dance with the players of the winning team after the siren goes, who will stop that? I reckon we'll just be hearing the mantra of "They've paid so much money, without which the game wouldn't survive, blah di blah blah blah..."
My examples sound very stupid, and so they should, I just thought them up as some things that I would hate to see in our game...just like interviews DURING matches (Ollie Wines said WHAT??? Let's get him...) my point is the game has been sold with these rights, and we will have to put up with whatever stupid idea the TV people dream up to make more money out of our great game.
In the words of Frank Zappa:

"You will obey me while I lead you
And eat the garbage that I feed you
Until the day that we don't need you
Don't got for help...no one will heed you
Your mind is totally controlled
It has been stuffed into my mold
And you will do as you are told
Until the rights to you are sold"

SA fans, "Big winners"? Please... :roll:
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Has liked: 369 times
Been liked: 514 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby UK Fan » Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:08 pm

BBWWAHHH!!!!

Wont happen.

Especially when clueless/spinless SA football administrators killing its own is so cheap and readily available.
fester69 wrote: I'm full of "pish and wind" !!You can call me weak !!

MW wrote: Well call me a special asshole!.

Booney wrote: I'm a happy clapper **** stick.

THE SKY HAS FALLEN!!!!
UK Fan
Coach

Has liked: 1197 times
Been liked: 500 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:15 pm

UK Fan wrote:BBWWAHHH!!!!

Wont happen.

Especially when clueless/spinless SA football administrators killing its own is so cheap and readily available.

I think you mean spineless, mate.
There's been plenty of spin.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Next

Board index   Football  SANFL