is your club losing revenue

Adelaide Footy League Talk

is your club losing revenue

Postby marbles » Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:39 pm

Whilst i wait for my dominos pizza, i am still strongly of the belief that the fact foxsportspulse best players are released online hours before your clubs presentation night at 7pm is causing a massive dent in the amount of foot traffic that comes to your club that night because rather than making an effort to come matxh presentation, a player can get home sit on the couch 4pm spend 30 seconds looking on internet and then decide nah cant be bothered going to presos didnt get in best players, just gonna stay home

Whereas if best players were not made available until say after 8pm i am certain the foot traffic to your clubs presos will increase rapidly due to the mystery & curiousness of eaxh player, hence bringing the revenue with them
marbles
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 275 times
Been liked: 258 times

Re: is your club losing revenue

Postby jo172 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:47 pm

Disagree, anyone keen enough to check loves the place so much they're the last to leave.

Ones who are hard to get to presentations are blokes who see it as akin to social basketball and it wouldn't even occur to them to check the best players on sports pulse
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1198 times
Been liked: 724 times

Postby test » Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:49 pm

If foot traffic into your club after a game is dependent on the announcement of best players my guess is you have a very poor club culture.
test
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 143 times
Been liked: 31 times
Grassroots Team: Wallaroo

Postby marbles » Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:14 pm

Yes passionate club people like yourselves would refuse not to go

Dont let ones bias passion make u delusional to the fundamentals of running a business

If the brownlow medal winner was released at 4pm, would the same millions of people still bother to spend 3 hours on the couch watching channel 7? Absolutely not. Would channel 7 be furious about how it has lost a massive chunk of tv ratings?

By taking away the mystery we are wiping demand and as a result your club is being dented as its supply output decreases
marbles
Assistant Coach

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:47 pm

All played well.
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 738 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby heater31 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:23 pm

If you are playing a home game who is going to check the best players? Supporters will just move inside to the bar without going home......unless you are an Old Scholars club :lol:
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby Q. » Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:24 pm

From all reports, AFL at Adelaide Oval has had a bigger impact on Thursday and Saturday night attendance.
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby marbles » Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:32 am

heater31 wrote:If you are playing a home game who is going to check the best players? Supporters will just move inside to the bar without going home......unless you are an Old Scholars club :lol:

u can certainly rely on the fact that most of the agraders will be at presos, thats generally the norm

but the rest of the grade players Bs Cs Ds Es it would be rare to get anywhere near 50% of players attending on any particular night

we get told off as to why no ones coming to presos all the time. i am certain this is one reason why

Also know this: if ur a coach and your all excited about ur match speech, the majority of the crowd at presos who are smart phone competent will already know the names youre about to announce. your best player revelation is old news to most already

its like "yea yea we know already".
marbles
Assistant Coach

Postby wristwatcher » Thu Aug 20, 2015 12:45 am

marbles wrote:Whilst i wait for my dominos pizza, i am still strongly of the belief that the fact foxsportspulse best players are released online hours before your clubs presentation night at 7pm is causing a massive dent in the amount of foot traffic that comes to your club that night because rather than making an effort to come matxh presentation, a player can get home sit on the couch 4pm spend 30 seconds looking on internet and then decide nah cant be bothered going to presos didnt get in best players, just gonna stay home

Whereas if best players were not made available until say after 8pm i am certain the foot traffic to your clubs presos will increase rapidly due to the mystery & curiousness of eaxh player, hence bringing the revenue with them

This is not your finest post :roll:

Im Not sure what the awards are at your club but our awards are things like club meal vouchers or sponsors vouchers. Hardly the reason to motivate your attendance. Personally I know whether I'm going to the club for pressos that morning. I am much more likely to attend if we are dong presentations at the club and meals are being served.

Examples-
This Saturday night working at AO - not attending
Next Saturday is Band Night - attending
Rd.1 of Div 1 finals - win, lose or draw attending

Admittedly I need to be fairly organised but I can't imagine people checking sporting pulse and deciding upon this are going to be putting much money over a bar if they can buy a carton and get their beers at a third of the price.

There are easy ways for this problem to be fixed.
The PNU Falcs 2005,06,13 x 2,14 and Div 1 Premiers in 2019......The SA 3peat - 2003,04,05
wristwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 844 times

Postby marbles » Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:51 am

wristwatcher wrote:

Im Not sure what the awards are at your club but our awards are things like club meal vouchers or sponsors vouchers. Hardly the reason to motivate your attendance. Personally I know whether I'm going to the club for pressos that morning. I am much more likely to attend if we are dong presentations at the club and meals are being served.

Examples-

Admittedly I need to be fairly organised but I can't imagine people checking sporting pulse and deciding upon this are going to be putting much money over a bar if they can buy a carton and get their beers at a third of the price.

again this is another perspective/opinion of a club member devoted to being aligned with the clubs movements, you are well on board the trojan horse of PNU and your passion is blinding you, for your output on this discussion is self derived

you are not considering the masses, you are not acting as an outside observer questioning why this group of people always attend and why a large portion are not coming

put yourself aside and become a member "who isnt a the leader of your PNU chariot (like yourself)" and is someone who is new & not entwined into the club roots

the way u talk every single player from the PNU As Bs Cs Ds all are attending club presos? excluding those with other functions
marbles
Assistant Coach

Postby marbles » Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:58 am

hey lets go to the awards night... why we already know the winners
marbles
Assistant Coach

Postby wristwatcher » Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:52 am

marbles wrote:hey lets go to the awards night... why we already know the winners

Hey let's go support the club, have a cuttla froths and be with our mates....why we already know who is going to win the $10 Xtreme sports voucher

I understand in the odd case this could effect numbers but the simple adjustment I made when I coached the Cs was that you had to be present to get your award. Problem solvered.
The PNU Falcs 2005,06,13 x 2,14 and Div 1 Premiers in 2019......The SA 3peat - 2003,04,05
wristwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 844 times

Postby whufc » Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:00 am

marbles wrote:
wristwatcher wrote:

Examples-

again this is another perspective/opinion of a club member devoted to being aligned with the clubs movements, you are well on board the trojan horse of PNU and your passion is blinding you, for your output on this discussion is self derived

you are not considering the masses, you are not acting as an outside observer questioning why this group of people always attend and why a large portion are not coming

put yourself aside and become a member "who isnt a the leader of your PNU chariot (like yourself)" and is someone who is new & not entwined into the club roots

the way u talk every single player from the PNU As Bs Cs Ds all are attending club presos? excluding those with other functions

From an outside point of view i would think that it would be more to do with escalating alcohol prices, costs of living etc that make attendances a lot smaller.

Remember a lot of people don't work the old monday to friday 9-5 anymore and some players are likely to have worked Saturday morning or may even have to work Saturday night or Sunday morning. While alcohol prices have increased the cost of going out to dinner these days are relatively cheap with scoopons, vouchers etc so i know alot of my mates tend to go out to dinner a lot more than they use to.

From what im hearing at Eastern Park is they are having an issue because they have a playing group which is predominantly around the 18-23 age range, every weekend seems to be a mates of a mates 18th or 21st in the city so the lads are more inclined to save cash and have their own pre drinks before heading into the city.

I would think that if you have a good club environment and a huge bunch of mates they would be inclined to get around each other regardless of who gets what awards.

If you do think its a major issue why doesn't your club throw in a couple of different awards rather than just best players such as an encouragement award, clown of the day, goal of the day, mark of the day etc, throw a couple of beers over the bar as the reward and im sure you will make that back if more people like you suggest come back to the club because of the surprise element.

I would think there are much bigger issues at sporting clubs these days like player payments rather than people not showing up for your suggested reason. If that is your clubs only issue you would have a pretty solid club i imagine.

I would also think that in each game your best few on the ground probably know who they are, the worse 10 would probably know they didn't have great games or as good as others so really it would be 3-5 blokes who are on the fringe of being in the best or not.
Last edited by whufc on Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby whufc » Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:03 am

wristwatcher wrote:
marbles wrote:hey lets go to the awards night... why we already know the winners

Hey let's go support the club, have a cuttla froths and be with our mates....why we already know who is going to win the $10 Xtreme sports voucher

I understand in the odd case this could effect numbers but the simple adjustment I made when I coached the Cs was that you had to be present to get your award. Problem solvered.

Going with what Marbles is saying, people wouldn't care that they had to be present to get an award because they know they are not getting one anyway which is why they are not attending.
whufc
Coach

Postby jo172 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:04 am

My understanding of the real decline of Presentations is a better understanding of the risks (and a more pronounced policing of) drink driving laws.
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1198 times
Been liked: 724 times

Postby Footy Chick » Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:25 am

Hmmmm

I seem to recall the delegates meeting we had at Woody South last year

The President of the Henley Football Club put this exact issue on the agenda and discussed it at length with the clubs. The CEO asked the General Committee if they thought this was a consideration and was happy to ask Sporting pulse if they could have the scores and best players entered for the Sunday Mail but delay the publication of the information to the public website til 8 o’clock.

Not one person agreed that this was even a consideration.

So why bring it up again a year later? :roll:

Fwiw, it's the kids that just don't give a shit and would rather be having cheaper pre-town drinks at home than support their club.
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1737 times
Been liked: 2144 times

Postby human_torpedo » Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:35 am

It certainly is the 18-23 age demographic that has seen a decline in after match award presentations.. Its a culture shift, I know that when I was that age, all we wanted to do was get around the footy club and have a few beers before town, now young lads go to pre drinks at there own houses and post pre-town selfies on facebook rather than attend the club.. Its sickening.. Im not convinced Sportingpulse is the reason for this, especially because most results aren't published until about 6pm anyway, sometimes earlier, but if you're refreshing Sportingpulse to check to see if you are going back to the club then I have my doubts whether they are the type of people who will take your club forward anyway
human_torpedo
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 371 times

Postby whufc » Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:51 am

human_torpedo wrote:It certainly is the 18-23 age demographic that has seen a decline in after match award presentations.. Its a culture shift, I know that when I was that age, all we wanted to do was get around the footy club and have a few beers before town, now young lads go to pre drinks at there own houses and post pre-town selfies on facebook rather than attend the club.. Its sickening.. Im not convinced Sportingpulse is the reason for this, especially because most results aren't published until about 6pm anyway, sometimes earlier, but if you're refreshing Sportingpulse to check to see if you are going back to the club then I have my doubts whether they are the type of people who will take your club forward anyway

100% i had noticed how that culture had crept in at Eastern Park especially the Cricket club.

When we were younger it was all about cricket, pressos, beers and then getting the last train into the city around 11.00pm, now its cricket, home, pre drinks and then a mini bus into the city.

Could it be a case of that the nightclubs /pubs in the city are now so expensive with entry fees and over priced drinks, expensive taxis etc that this generation cant afford to do both and to be honest your not likely to take home a hottie from your footy club so town wins out more often than not.
whufc
Coach

Postby Footy Chick » Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:58 am

That - and once upon a time blokes would have a shower at the club after the game and then head straight to the clubrooms.

Now they all go home and shower because they're afraid someone might see their pee pee.*

* Not me :?
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1737 times
Been liked: 2144 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:58 am

So many comments...

#bestbitetongue
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Next

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League