AFL Womens League

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: AFL Womens League

Postby Gravel » Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:51 pm

Why shouldn't women have the opportunity to play Football? Women are heavily involved in Footy at all levels, from the canteens to the presidents and the AFL has the highest level of female attendance amongst all the major sports in the world. Who will it hurt - no one!
Gravel
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 8 times

Postby stan » Thu Aug 27, 2015 9:46 am

With the AFL not experiencing massive growth at the moment they are looking ar ways to enegage other markets. This is definitely one of them.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby johntheclaret » Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:18 am

bennymacca wrote:
human_torpedo wrote:I cant see how it affects people badly enough to complain about it?

Because the SANFL is the most important comp in history and if money isnt poured into that in preference to literally anything else then that other thing is a bad idea.

Who has said anything about putting the money into the SANFL on this thread.
If you bothered to read them, any argument is for putting money into an AFL Reserve Comp, not that I agree with the notion.

And for your information the SANFL is actually the most important competition in SA footballing history.
Without it there wouldn't be a Crows or Power in the AFL for you to drool over. And it had been in existence for nearly 100 years before the AFL and their fabricated franchises came into being.

I wonder why you even bother to come into the SANFL forum when your esteem for the comp is so low
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Postby bennymacca » Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:36 am

johntheclaret wrote:Who has said anything about putting the money into the SANFL on this thread.

If you bothered to read them, any argument is for putting money into an AFL Reserve Comp, not that I agree with the notion.

its clear that this was my point - a lot of people would rather see money poured into a reserves comp for the pure purpose of saving the SANFL. It has nothing to do with growing the game or spending it on grass roots footy - hence why this is in the SANFL forum and not any of the others.

johntheclaret wrote:And for your information the SANFL is actually the most important competition in SA footballing history.
Without it there wouldn't be a Crows or Power in the AFL for you to drool over. And it had been in existence for nearly 100 years before the AFL and their fabricated franchises came into being.

It has an important place in football history no doubt. To say that it is more important than the AFL today, in the context of importance to football in SA as a whole, is just laughable. That doesnt mean you cant prefer watching it to the AFL, that is a separate argument.

johntheclaret wrote:I wonder why you even bother to come into the SANFL forum when your esteem for the comp is so low

my esteem for the comp places it firmly on the second tier in importance, but is also irrelevant.
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Apachebulldog » Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:49 am

Yah the way to go the AFL is a pussies game anyway !!
SANFL 2000 - 2011 Central District 12 consecutive Grand Final appearances and 9 Premierships.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOFFFFFFFFFF.

Hit em hard let them get up and hit em again.
Apachebulldog
League - Best 21

Has liked: 381 times
Been liked: 115 times

Postby Magellan » Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:42 am

It has an important place in football history no doubt. To say that it is more important than the AFL today, in the context of importance to football in SA as a whole, is just laughable. That doesnt mean you cant prefer watching it to the AFL, that is a separate argument.

Whilst the AFL is undoubtedly more important in the overall context of where the game of footy is at today, the problem I (and I dare say others on this forum) have is that the Crows, both its administration/hierarchy and good dose of its supporters, don't recognise and respect the SANFL as the competition that literally gave birth to it.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby bennymacca » Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:45 pm

Magellan wrote:

Whilst the AFL is undoubtedly more important in the overall context of where the game of footy is at today, the problem I (and I dare say others on this forum) have is that the Crows, both its administration/hierarchy and good dose of its supporters, don't recognise and respect the SANFL as the competition that literally gave birth to it.

That might be true for some supporters and administrators, but quite often people on here refer to crows supporters as not "real" footy fans, which is pretty offensive, especially for those of us young enough to not really know anything other than the crows always being there.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Magellan » Thu Aug 27, 2015 1:21 pm

Well, it's certainly true of the Crows administrators, given their lack of regard or respect for the SANFL by roughly and desperately inserting their reserves team in it post haste.

As for their supporters, I can't say whether they are 'real' or not because there's more to it than simply knowing a bit of footy background. It's a pretty subjective label. I've seen plenty on both sides of the fence.

Some Crow fans only 'know' of the Crows and SA football post 1991 because of their age, and that's fair enough (mind you, there are plenty who are old enough and lived through the 70s and 80s but didn't get into footy until the Crows came on board). At any rate that doesn't preclude anyone from developing and appreciating an understanding the circumstances of how and why your club came into existence, its record and its achievements. To me, a true fan digs deeper to understand the club's fabric, its roots, and what's come before.

I think that for the majority of followers the Crows history starts in an Atco hut at West Lakes in October 1990 with Graham Cornes, Bill Sanders and Kerls, as if the stork simply dropped them off into the SA football community.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby whufc » Thu Aug 27, 2015 1:25 pm

Magellan wrote:Well, it's certainly true of the Crows administrators, given their lack of regard or respect for the SANFL by roughly and desperately inserting their reserves team in it post haste.

As for their supporters, I can't say whether they are 'real' or not because there's more to it than simply knowing a bit of footy background. It's a pretty subjective label. I've seen plenty on both sides of the fence.

Some Crow fans only 'know' of the Crows and SA football post 1991 because of their age, and that's fair enough (mind you, there are plenty who are old enough and lived through the 70s and 80s but didn't get into footy until the Crows came on board). At any rate that doesn't preclude anyone from developing and appreciating an understanding the circumstances of how and why your club came into existence, its record and its achievements. To me, a true fan digs deeper to understand the club's fabric, its roots, and what's come before.

I think that for the majority of followers the Crows history starts in an Atco hut at West Lakes in October 1990 with Graham Cornes, Bill Sanders and Kerls, as if the stork simply dropped them off into the SA football community.

Great post

The amount of crows supporters who I hear sit and bag the SANFL etc is laughable

You would never speak to your parents like that. :D
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby JK » Thu Aug 27, 2015 1:29 pm

whufc wrote:The amount of crows supporters who I hear sit and bag the SANFL etc is laughable

It aint just Crows supporters
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4438 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby whufc » Thu Aug 27, 2015 1:35 pm

JK wrote:
whufc wrote:The amount of crows supporters who I hear sit and bag the SANFL etc is laughable

Just my opinion a lot more of the Port supporters I know have at the very least some respect for what the SANFL use to be.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby JK » Thu Aug 27, 2015 1:38 pm

whufc wrote:
JK wrote:

Just my opinion a lot more of the Port supporters I know have at the very least some respect for what the SANFL use to be.

Yeah that's fair, but I have heard almost %100 of the Port supporters I know, say "wish the SANFL would hurry up and die" within the last 5 years.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4438 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby bennymacca » Thu Aug 27, 2015 1:39 pm

whufc wrote:
Magellan wrote:Well, it's certainly true of the Crows administrators, given their lack of regard or respect for the SANFL by roughly and desperately inserting their reserves team in it post haste.

Great post

The amount of crows supporters who I hear sit and bag the SANFL etc is laughable

You would never speak to your parents like that. :D

You're not my real dad!!

:)

Fair point though. People probably lump me in that category too even though that's far from the truth
bennymacca
Coach

Postby wild dog » Thu Aug 27, 2015 4:58 pm

wristwatcher wrote:I'm not sensitive I'm realistic and have an understanding of modern football programming and who runs these program's. I'm sorry if you don't. As for their motivations, does it really matter. Whether you, Graham Cornes or any other poster like the idea doesn't bother me at all and that's fine. Nobody has to like it but my point is it is being built to cater for it's ever growing market.

I guess my intellectual weakness inhibits me from explaining to you clever folk. Sorry was that immature, us Hipsters tend to do that when we are out thunked :roll:

The matter of difference is the motivation. As I tried to indicate in my previous post, the AFL will chuck some dollars at to get positive coverage, whack a brand on it and then claim they are the custodians. They want to be owners of Australian Rules Football, that is their MO.

Anyone who cant see that women's sport will continue to gain prominence has their head in the sand. The development of a semi professional league is a good thing. Its interesting, good for girls & young women and as I said before, anything that can change stereotypical thinking has to be encouraged. However I would hate to see it develop as a copy or pale imitation of the mens league. Most professional men's sport has developed to the point where it is mundane, clichéd and based totally on money. AFL is almost an infomercial. You cant get away from it. The developers of professional women's sport should look at organisations such as the AFL or FIFA to work out exactly what you should not do.
wild dog
Under 18s

Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 180 times
Grassroots Team: Smithfield

Previous

Board index   Football  SANFL