Southern Football League

A forum dedicated to the Southern Football League!

Re: Southern Football League

Postby 1919 » Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:26 pm

Look Good In Leather wrote:
1919 wrote:
Down the Hill wrote:No different to the best midfielders in the AFL, the best midfielders in the SFL are masters at drawing contact as they dispose of the footy which in turn can draw a free kick or a free downfield often resulting in a kick for goal. Any player who gets bumped or tackled as they are about to dispose of the ball is always going to look as though they have been hit late but that is why they are so good, because they have the poise to cleanly dispose of the ball even with players bearing down on them.

Players like Eagleton, Bayly, Johnstone etc. will always look to come off second best in any contact situation because of their size. Supporters need to understand this before they think their favourite players are continually targeted.

Sidenote - I notice another favourite son of the Vikings copped a 3 game suspension in the SAAFL recently. Two solid suspensions in 3 seasons.

could that be Mister Footy's' top bloke again............one hell of a fella, as quite a few opponents will testify.

Possibly not quite the context that Mister Footy used:
Mister Footy wrote:Definitely - a legend on the field and a gentleman off the field and one of the greatest captains our club has ever had

Keep digging LGIL, there were plenty of posts in a couple of threads on the issue, Mister Footy definately excusex the culprit be ause he's a 'good bloke' in more than one post. Pretty sure he also was of the opinion he shouldn't cop the abuse he does from the sidelines. The amount of defending Mister Footy does for the culprit suggests a huge man crush.
Rookie

Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 3 times

Postby oneuponedown » Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:46 pm

1919 wrote:
1919 wrote:
Down the Hill wrote:No different to the best midfielders in the AFL, the best midfielders in the SFL are masters at drawing contact as they dispose of the footy which in turn can draw a free kick or a free downfield often resulting in a kick for goal. Any player who gets bumped or tackled as they are about to dispose of the ball is always going to look as though they have been hit late but that is why they are so good, because they have the poise to cleanly dispose of the ball even with players bearing down on them.

Players like Eagleton, Bayly, Johnstone etc. will always look to come off second best in any contact situation because of their size. Supporters need to understand this before they think their favourite players are continually targeted.

Sidenote - I notice another favourite son of the Vikings copped a 3 game suspension in the SAAFL recently. Two solid suspensions in 3 seasons.

could that be Mister Footy's' top bloke again............one hell of a fella, as quite a few opponents will testify.

Possibly not quite the context that Mister Footy used:
Mister Footy wrote:Definitely - a legend on the field and a gentleman off the field and one of the greatest captains our club has ever had

Keep digging LGIL, there were plenty of posts in a couple of threads on the issue, Mister Footy definately excusex the culprit be ause he's a 'good bloke' in more than one post. Pretty sure he also was of the opinion he shouldn't cop the abuse he does from the sidelines. The amount of defending Mister Footy does for the culprit suggests a huge man crush.

Firstly didn't see incident but.......1919 .....The Edwardstown player certainly not the 1st and certainly not going to be the last player to be involved in this type of incident on a football field..... Suggest you build a bridge (you've had time ) and get over it....
What I did see was your player was no Angel in multiple events leading up to the incident!
oneuponedown
Rookie

Has liked: 33 times
Been liked: 8 times
Grassroots Team: Meningie

Postby Look Good In Leather » Thu Aug 27, 2015 1:16 pm

Mister Footy wrote:
1919 wrote:
Mister Footy wrote:Let me repeat this has apparently been reported to police so I am not about to comment Didn't see the incident - in the men's room at the wrong time.What I will say is that I too hope the townies lad is ok - no matter who you barrack for no one wants to see a player carted off in an ambulance. All games especially finals should be played with your best players available all day

Is going to be interesting to see how this all plays out at club and SFL level. Word is Dent didn't want club report put in after Jonny incident. He seemed to be "falling over" a lot behind play yesterday

Townies were very strong yesterday and up to halfway through last quarter result could have gone either way - full credit to BP.

As far as Jonny is concerned DTH your attempt to sledge our trainers again has fallen flat - I heard he had to follow Hanks normal procedure probably why I didn't see him at training.

Don't be so gutless referring to police report etc excusing you from commenting. The injured player has more to worry about at the moment than waltzing into a police Station! If you didn't see it, there's little you can say other than maybe agree that if what has been alleged, did in fact occur, the offender should be booted out of football for a hell of a long time.

You have to be kidding about Jonny yesterday falling over a lot behind Play. Are you suggestingTownies targeted him? Mate they couldn't catch him to lay a finger on him.

If you didn't see Johnny on the ground multiple times you clearly weren't at same game I was
Just to be clear I don't condone any type of violence on the field - nor do I condone the verbal abuse of a toddler and middle aged woman by Townies supporters just because the kid is wearing his dad's number on his guernsey as I have heard happened

I saw this "verbal abuse" incident, the Edwardstown supporter was handing out abuse to McKenzie regarding the alleged incident as he had all day (not sure if it helped the situation as he seemed to play better). The lady you mentioned walked in front of him at the time and started yelling at him regarding his comments. His "verbal abuse" to her was along the lines of "How would you like it if it was your son who had that done to him". Nothing to see here.

more digging
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 284 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby Look Good In Leather » Thu Aug 27, 2015 1:22 pm

oneuponedown wrote:Firstly didn't see incident but.......1919 .....The Edwardstown player certainly not the 1st and certainly not going to be the last player to be involved in this type of incident on a football field..... Suggest you build a bridge (you've had time ) and get over it....
What I did see was your player was no Angel in multiple events leading up to the incident!

Interestingly the two incidents covered by the media the most over the past few years have been against Edwardstown

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/messenger/police-investigate-alleged-on-field-assault-during-a-clash-between-edwardstown-and-hackham/story-fni9lkvc-1227483620825
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl/edwardstown-football-club-not-ruling-out-legal-action-over-incident-which-left-player-with-broken-jaw/story-fnii00l5-1226723561954

Is it just bad luck, are they doing something to incite the violence, or are they just more litigious?
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Postby 1919 » Thu Aug 27, 2015 2:56 pm

oneuponedown wrote:
Firstly didn't see incident but.......1919 .....The Edwardstown player certainly not the 1st and certainly not going to be the last player to be involved in this type of incident on a football field..... Suggest you build a bridge (you've had time ) and get over it....

Yep, fair enough I can and will build the bridge. Have looked back through the posts from 2013 and noted I have been a little harsh on and must apologise to Mister Footy. I found plenty of posts from others but only two posts where he reminded us the culprit is a good bloke or such words.

please note the incident occurred within first 5 minutes of the game. Little time for the injured player to be involved in 'multiple events' leading up to his jaw being smashed!
Rookie

Postby 1919 » Thu Aug 27, 2015 3:08 pm

oneuponedown wrote:Firstly didn't see incident but.......1919 .....The Edwardstown player certainly not the 1st and certainly not going to be the last player to be involved in this type of incident on a football field..... Suggest you build a bridge (you've had time ) and get over it....

Interestingly the two incidents covered by the media the most over the past few years have been against Edwardstown

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/messenger/police-investigate-alleged-on-field-assault-during-a-clash-between-edwardstown-and-hackham/story-fni9lkvc-1227483620825
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl/edwardstown-football-club-not-ruling-out-legal-action-over-incident-which-left-player-with-broken-jaw/story-fnii00l5-1226723561954

Is it just bad luck, are they doing something to incite the violence, or are they just more litigious?

In general I'd suggest it's just bad luck and nothing has or is being done to incite violence. Your club has played against EFC. often enough LGIL, what do you think?

I Can't comment on the Hackham incident and story as I have not been around the place this season but definately no incitement in 2013. The issue was originally raised on this forum and newspaper picked it up from there. Comments from the club in the article were simply response to reporters questions. I don'tt believe the EFC club initiated any litigation with regard that incident.
Rookie

Postby Esteban Vihaio » Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:48 pm

Seen the video of the incident most recent. If you had too, you wouldn't be throwing stones. Poor form LGIL.
Where's Bill? Yeah... Hmm... Bill is on the Villa Quatro, on the road to Salina. I will draw you a map.
Esteban Vihaio
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 36 times

Postby Esteban Vihaio » Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:53 pm

Perhaps you should be questioning HFC posters LGIL who have gone missing
Where's Bill? Yeah... Hmm... Bill is on the Villa Quatro, on the road to Salina. I will draw you a map.
Esteban Vihaio
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 36 times

Postby vics01 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:37 pm

Astounded once again for the inability of the SFL to move finals venues so as to not allow home ground advantage. Surely it is not that hard?
vics01
Reserves

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 58 times
Grassroots Team: Cove

Postby Look Good In Leather » Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:51 pm

Esteban Vihaio wrote:

Seen the video of the incident most recent. If you had too, you wouldn't be throwing stones. Poor form LGIL.

Nope have not seen it, can only go off what was reported in the media. Hardly throwing stones, just seemed a coincidence that the two incidents with a media profile with police investigations involved the same club.

Unfortunately there are dickheads around who feel the need to prove themselves to be tough guys by throwing a fist.
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Postby Dutchy » Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:56 am

vics01 wrote:Astounded once again for the inability of the SFL to move finals venues so as to not allow home ground advantage. Surely it is not that hard?

Here is their chance. It would take no work at all to transfer Flaggies v Shoes to Porties and Reynella v Brighton to Noarlunga. Leave all other games as they are.

Nothing hard about that at all surely?
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2322 times
Been liked: 3496 times

Postby Front & Centre » Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:34 am

Strange feeling amongst the Valley supporters last night. A grade missing the finals by 1.74% . First time in around 15 years after beating the reigning premiers in a great game. Thanks to Steve Wallace for taking on the coaching gig halfway through the season. Club would love to have him continue next year but he has let us know he won't be going on.
All other grades have finished top 4 so club well positioned for some finals success and long term future looks good for our next club coach.

On a side note surely Noarlunga's best on ground must go to their runner who spends more time on the ground than majority of their players filling holes. Pity he finally got the attention of the umpires....
Front & Centre
Rookie

Has liked: 33 times
Been liked: 12 times
Grassroots Team: Happy Valley

Postby Hasbeen » Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:37 am

Dutchy wrote:
vics01 wrote:Astounded once again for the inability of the SFL to move finals venues so as to not allow home ground advantage. Surely it is not that hard?

Here is their chance. It would take no work at all to transfer Flaggies v Shoes to Porties and Reynella v Brighton to Noarlunga. Leave all other games as they are.

Would align Flaggies and Reynella A's and B's. Separate the Bombers though.
What were the odds of the Shoes losing to a team outside the 8 to secure a home final?
Hasbeen
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time

Postby spot on » Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:22 pm

Dutchy wrote:

I see M/V v Christies A Grade Sunday At Christies oval and also on Sunday B Grade M/V v Christies at Aldinga.
Surely they could have these two games at the same oval, will be hard to organise support staff apart from anything else, plus home ground advantage for Christies A's
spot on
Under 18s

Has liked: 44 times
Been liked: 9 times
Grassroots Team: Casterton

Postby tigerpie » Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:26 pm

Shoes losing to HV shores up a home final? Once again this mob really do march to their own beat.
I hope they go out in straight sets!
SFL finals draw is crazy.
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 500 times
Been liked: 431 times

Postby Down the Hill » Sun Aug 30, 2015 4:11 pm

Mountain out of molehill guys. Lads that have played SFL since juniors as well as regular finals would have played 20 plus times on most SFL grounds. Melbourne FC dominated the VFL in the 50 s and 60s when they were the only MCG tenant yet played all finals at "home". All you are doing is creating a lame excuse if you lose but a bit sweeter if you win.
Down the Hill
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 276 times
Grassroots Team: Brighton District & OS

Postby Broken Down Hack » Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:36 pm

Down the Hill wrote:Mountain out of molehill guys. Lads that have played SFL since juniors as well as regular finals would have played 20 plus times on most SFL grounds. Melbourne FC dominated the VFL in the 50 s and 60s when they were the only MCG tenant yet played all finals at "home". All you are doing is creating a lame excuse if you lose but a bit sweeter if you win.

As Malcolm Blight used to say ...there are goals at either end off the ground and grass in the middle .
so if your any good on the day who cares where you play ....bring on the finals......
Broken Down Hack
Rookie

Has liked: 49 times
Been liked: 15 times

Postby King » Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:43 pm

Oldman Munga wrote:
mrp2626 wrote:Brighton had a great day of games down at the Shoe oval on Saturday. Was good to watch all games, and all were played in good spirit. Brighton won the A grade by about 5 goals in the end I believe. Noarlunga were without Johncock, Comer and Minns, and seemed to have a a bit more trouble than last year in the ctr.There was some good ball movement from both sides though. I think our guys will be more competitive this year by the looks of things. Looking forward to seeing what round 1 has in store for us. I would be interested to hear a Noarlunga perspective on the game!?

Agreed MRP was a good day of footy and might add rather well supported by your club who are not renowned for travelling , it's always good to blow the cobwebs out before the real stuff begins , your outfit look to be in great condition and I reckon luck permitting , you will have a reasonable yr
Been a fair bit of movement on the Noarlunga list in the off season with Minns(Pt Lincoln) W.Johncock (Glenelg ) Comer retiring and coaching our B Grade.Booga retiring again ,Hudson back to Mt Gambier due to work , B&F winner Rattley concentrating on work for now but expected to return before mid yr, Carlisle out for the season after shoulder surgery and Henry Kerinuia currently back on the Tiwi Islands but expected to return to Coburg in the VFL. where he has done some pre-season work
Lindsay Moreen has returned after a good season with the Tiwi Bombers
On the in front Copestick has returned after 3 years with Bordertown , Mitch Mulroney a 6ft 10 ruckman from Ainslie in the NEAFL ,Owen Henry from Tiwi Bombers, Owen Patterson from Tennant Creek, and Kynan Betts who won last yrs Mail Medal at Malle Pk in Pt Lincoln, and the return of Hocking,Emery and Atkinson who missed last yr with Knee reconstructions and ankle surgery respectively ,
We have also been selected as home club by Glenelg recruit Willie Rioli Jnr ,but I doubt we will see him at all such is the calibre of young Willie,.

Having Nick Mott,Matthew Johncock and Kynan Betts on the Crows Reserves Top Up List throws us a whole new scenario for 2015 , will be very interesting to see how that works , Mott and Johncock have had solid pre seasons and impressed early ,
All in all we are in a lot better place than we were at this stage last yr with more than 10 players expected to play B Grade who have had a good taste of A Grade footy , Mitts certainly will be a lot busier at team selection this yr with a bit more depth at his disposal
The $64 question is are we good enough to defend the flag ???? [b] Ask me in late August and I'll give you an answer

Oldman: I'm asking.
[/b]
King
Under 16s

Been liked: 14 times
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Postby King » Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:04 pm

Hcaoc20 wrote:
King wrote:
Mister Footy wrote:Yeah right King! $$$ had nothing to do with it?

Agreed he is a handy small forward but he has a temper - gets more red & yellow cards than rest of Valleys side put together over last few years. :shock:

You're joking!!! If we had any dollars we certainly wouldn't be chasing a small forward!!!

You can take this to the bank he has been offered way more than he is worth fact

Hcaoc20: you had better check your Bank!

Has kicked 63 this year and Flaggies are minor premiers.

Suggest you stay in the Hills!
King
Under 16s

Been liked: 14 times
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Postby Look Good In Leather » Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:20 pm

Wow, Flaggies pretty mouthy right now, any other previous comments you want to dig up at this time King?

Still 4 weeks to go
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  SFL