2015 SANFL Broadcasting

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: 2015 SANFL Broadcasting

Postby johntheclaret » Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:58 am

Big Phil wrote:
arthur5038 wrote:Heard a rumour there will be no RPH or Life for the finals, just ABC & FiveAA. Can anyone confirm?

LifeFM will certainly be calling ALL the finals this year, while ABC 891 and FiveAA will come on board to call the Preliminary Final and Grand Final...

The RPH call between Port and West on Sunday afternoon from Alberton Oval will be their last broadcast of SANFL footy for season 2015...

Unfortunately, 5RPH will NOT be calling any of the finals this season and last night's RPH League Teams Show was also the last for 2015...

Will RPH be back next year Phil ?
johntheclaret
Coach

Has liked: 409 times
Been liked: 580 times

Postby scott » Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:50 am

Below is the final H&A broadcast allocations, and under that is 2014 combined with 2015 to give a good sample. 7two games from 2014 are linked in with 7mate.
Attachments
broadcasting_round_19.png
broadcasting_round_19.png (138.99 KiB) Viewed 2096 times
broadcasting_2014_2015.png
broadcasting_2014_2015.png (109.39 KiB) Viewed 2096 times
scott
Veteran

Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 124 times

Postby scott » Fri Aug 28, 2015 11:53 am

Quite a big divide between the five sides that generally always get broadcast (South, Port, Norwood, North and the Eagles who have only not had coverage 3/4 times in two years), Centrals in the middle with six and then the rest (Adelaide 9, Sturt 9, West 10, Glenelg 12).
scott
Veteran

Postby westcoastpanther » Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:48 pm

What is the TV game this week?
Hi, My name is Ron 'Bluey' Dunn. Did you know I played in the 61 & 62 Tasman Premiership sides....
westcoastpanther
Coach

Has liked: 66 times
Been liked: 150 times
Grassroots Team: Boston

Postby Pseudo » Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:48 pm

westcoastpanther wrote:What is the TV game this week?

I believe it is the Integrity Cup Prelimination Final (tm).

Looking forward to loafing in front of the box with a few cans to get my Real Footy fix this weekend.
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1557 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Postby saintal » Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:53 pm

Big Phil wrote:
arthur5038 wrote:Heard a rumour there will be no RPH or Life for the finals, just ABC & FiveAA. Can anyone confirm?

LifeFM will certainly be calling ALL the finals this year, while ABC 891 and FiveAA will come on board to call the Preliminary Final and Grand Final...

The RPH call between Port and West on Sunday afternoon from Alberton Oval will be their last broadcast of SANFL footy for season 2015...

Unfortunately, 5RPH will NOT be calling any of the finals this season and last night's RPH League Teams Show was also the last for 2015...

Can I ask a dumb question- how come?

Disappointing as rph play a very important role in broadcasting the league.
SAFC- 60 years...
StKFC- 58 years..
saintal
Coach

Has liked: 346 times
Been liked: 429 times

Postby Big Phil » Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:39 pm

saintal wrote:
Big Phil wrote:

To my knowledge RPH haven't withdrawn from broadcasting the finals, there just wasn't an agreement reached between the station and league to cover them...

As far as I know, the minor round and finals are handled as two seperate contracts and in this instance, the station and SANFL have not been able to come to an agreement on the finals...

I think a few factors have come into consideration with the decision, including the commercial stations coming on board for the last 2 games...
Big Phil
Coach

Has liked: 120 times
Been liked: 271 times

Postby whufc » Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:26 pm

Thats sucks

RIP SANFL!
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5586 times
Been liked: 2527 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby saintal » Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:22 pm

Big Phil wrote:
saintal wrote:
Big Phil wrote:

To my knowledge RPH haven't withdrawn from broadcasting the finals, there just wasn't an agreement reached between the station and league to cover them...

As far as I know, the minor round and finals are handled as two seperate contracts and in this instance, the station and SANFL have not been able to come to an agreement on the finals...

I think a few factors have come into consideration with the decision, including the commercial stations coming on board for the last 2 games...

Thanks Phil. Disappointing. The SANFL really know how to promote their league..
SAFC- 60 years...
StKFC- 58 years..
saintal
Coach

Postby Pseudo » Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:16 pm

Yes, this is some of that Increased Media Coverage that was promised...
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1557 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Postby Bounce of the ball » Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:33 pm

Being on aa and ABC will probably give more exposure than RPH for the whole year. Not many listen to RPH for footy , probably just some on here.

It annoys me too but their is a reason they don't broadcast during the minor round .
Bounce of the ball
Reserves

Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 65 times

Postby scott » Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:59 pm

Bounce of the ball wrote:Being on aa and ABC will probably give more exposure than RPH for the whole year. Not many listen to RPH for footy , probably just some on here..

Bit of a sweeping statement.

I can only speak for myself but I do listen to both Lifefm and RPH. I love to be able to watch the footy live at the ground while listening to commentary.

This is what annoys me with the live stream only matches that only cater for only a particular audience. Matches on radio can be heard by people at the ground, driving in their cars, etc. Live streaming is only beneficial for people who have access to internet - no one is going to listen to it on their mobile on a 30 second delay at the ground.
scott
Veteran

Postby scott » Fri Aug 28, 2015 10:08 pm

Another thing that I just cannot understand is why the SANFL continually shoot themselves in the foot with regards to broadcasting and attendances?!

Five games simultaenously? It's absolutely baffling. And we've had it at least three times this season.

I'd love to see only a maximum of three games being played simultaneously, allowing every game to be covered by either Channel 7, LifeFM or RPH. ie...

Friday night game - RPH
Saturday arvo game # 1 - Channel 7
Saturday arvo game #2 - RPH
Saturday night game - LifeFM
Sunday arvo game - RPH

Or something similar. It was an extremely uninspiring fixture this season imo. Very little variety and too often there was too many games on at once. The Thursday night game was variety but almost too far the other way.
scott
Veteran

Postby johntheclaret » Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:12 pm

Bounce of the ball wrote:Being on aa and ABC will probably give more exposure than RPH for the whole year. Not many listen to RPH for footy , probably just some on here.

It annoys me too but their is a reason they don't broadcast during the minor round .

Pfft, typical comment
johntheclaret
Coach

Postby saintal » Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:58 pm

RADIO SILENCE (Ben Hook, Sun Aug 30)

After 25 years behind the microphone, SANFL radio broadcasters RPH Adelaide won't call the 2015 final following a dispute over funding with the league and may never cover the SANFL again.

Ten days ago RPH Adelaide and Life FM were advised by the SANFL that their weekly fee ($600) would not be paid for any of the finals series.

Both station were made aware by a generic group email.

Life FM opted to continue with their call to meet sponsorship commitments despite station boss Michael Chant describing the decision as "disapointing".

RPH Adelaide boss Hans Reimer told the SANFL last Friday his station wouldn't go to air without the funding. SANFL officials met with Reimer on Monday to broker a deal, but would only offer funding for the first two weeks of the finals.

Reimer reaffirmed on Wednesday RPH would not cover any finals and have confirmed their last game is today's Port v West clash.

SANFL General Manager of Football Adam Kelly said the hefty expenses associated with 7's coverage weren't a factor.

"We've had every game of the home and away season available for the first time through our app."
Kelly said.

"That comes at a cost and we have directed some funding."
SAFC- 60 years...
StKFC- 58 years..
saintal
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 10:13 pm

Sorry to hear that, RPH do a great job. Another failed promise by the crooks in charge at SANFL HQ.
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3552 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby matt35 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:33 pm

This is completely inexcusable from the SANFL. RPH opened in early 1991 and came on board with the SANFL immediately, at a time when other media were jumping off to cover the AFL. For RPH to now pretty much be told they aren't needed because other media jump on for finals is a disgrace. Won't be at all surprised if RPH don't come back next season and this would be completely understandable.
No Surrender!
matt35
Under 18s

Has liked: 513 times
Been liked: 51 times
Grassroots Team: Boston

Postby johntheclaret » Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:47 pm

So SANFL is happy to pay $1m+ to ch7 whose main footballing ambition is to promote AFL and has shown more Port Reserve games than any other club, but can't run to $600 a game for radio coverage with a station soley dedicated to SANFL footy and has been for a damn site longer than the AFL reserves involvement.

How many finals games will they cover. Maybe finals fans who can't be there can put $600 together.

It's a bloody disgrace. What more can the idiots in charge do to **** up a once great league. They are suppose to be the custodians of the SANFL but piece by piece they are dismantling it. I despair, I really do.

If RPH have have finished covering SANFL games, period, then that'll be just another reason for fans to disengage with the league.
johntheclaret
Coach

Postby RB » Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:00 am

They can't find six hundred ******* bucks. Unbelievable.
R.I.P. the SANFL 1877 - 2013
RB
Coach

Has liked: 764 times
Been liked: 1074 times

Postby Aerie » Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:20 am

Stupid move by the SANFL. What do they mean by every game available on their App? Do they mean radio coverage via the app? That only comes about because stations like Life FM and 5RPH cover every game they possibly can. To then snub them at finals, for the sake of saving $4800? Pathetic.

I have been able to follow my team by radio more so than any other medium this season. Given the significant drop in crowds - the SANFL surely wouldn't want to risk losing one of their most important links that at least keeps people interested in the SANFL, even if they don't go every week. Because 891 or 5AA and even Ch 7 surely won't be keeping me updated on what's happening with my team throughout the season.
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 504 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL