Restaurant & Pub Reviews

Anything!

Re: Restaurant & Pub Reviews

Postby GWW » Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:37 am

Anyone got a view on the Revolving Restaurant in Glenelg?

Looking for a good place to go for my wife's upcoming birthday, although reviews on line that Ive read, dont look that promising.
GWW

Has liked: 816 times
Been liked: 166 times

Postby JK » Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:49 am

Haven't been there for probably 12 years but it used to be an awesome feed. That probably doesn't help much lol
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4458 times
Been liked: 2986 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Mythical Creature » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:33 am

GWW wrote:Anyone got a view on the Revolving Restaurant in Glenelg?

Looking for a good place to go for my wife's upcoming birthday, although reviews on line that Ive read, dont look that promising.

We went there a couple of years ago for a work Christmas function. Can't remember it enough to give a rating, other than to say there were no complaints from any of us who ate there.
If you don't like it, change it. If you don't want to change it, it can't be that bad!
Mythical Creature
Veteran

Has liked: 189 times
Been liked: 237 times
Grassroots Team: United

Postby Johno6 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:38 am

Any good places to eat down marion way (besides TGIFs)
heading down there Saturday and wanna take the missus somewhere nice for tea and then head to a good dessert place.

any ideas welcomed, cheers
R.I.P Mum 28/02/12

Asterix Users - Squibs
Johno6
Coach

Has liked: 344 times
Been liked: 604 times
Grassroots Team: Golden Grove

Postby HH3 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:47 am

Johno6 wrote:Any good places to eat down marion way (besides TGIFs)
heading down there Saturday and wanna take the missus somewhere nice for tea and then head to a good dessert place.

any ideas welcomed, cheers

All you can eat Pizza Hut. I always try to wear a non-stained t-shirt there coz its a bit fancy.
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2433 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby wristwatcher » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:50 am

I took lady Wristy their in 2013 on the ent book on a Friday night before footy on a Saturday. Whilst I can't remember dish specifics I do however remember the key findings.

- the restaurant spins, a cute novelty initially but somewhat discombobulating after about 5 minutes. It is mildly entertaining but partly unsettling.
- the setting is good, spacious and visually stimulating and did I mention it spins
- the service was good but they were not exactly busy
- it could have just been the cheapness in my eye but he asked me for my ent book gold card before I paid which I found peculiar. " Maybe I didn't want to use the card" ... I did use the card. 25% off from memory but I could be wrong as it was 2 years ago
- entrees ; as I said it was a long forgettable time ago but I maybe had the trio from the sea. Prawn, scallop, and calamari. Tasted great, all 3 half mouth forkfuls. It had a tumble weed of alfalfa that was designed to disguise worlds smallest entree but there is no tricking this fat bastard when there is not enough food on the plate. Can't remeber what Katy had but I do remember us laughing at how small it was (this would be in Starc contrast to the awe she would feel when I would later unsheathed the Wristwatch ;) )
- mains ; I would have had some form of seafood as we were near the sea and I have a theorey on that and once again I was underwhelmed
- I had 1 beer and I believe she may have had a glass of mastaco

The price after discount was well over $100. From memory the cost went from maybe $170 to $120 odd which for a fancy dinner with a drink that leads to a little hide the sausage action I could handle if not for one key aspect. We were both still quite hungry. This was also a good 15kgs ago. Not
really ideal. Yes the food did go Ok but unless you order a giant overpriced seafood share platter it really doesn't do the job and the missus doesn't like seafood.

Overall it's a 5/10. I recommend taking her somewhere nice and then going to that place to use their toilet so you get to experience the spinning.

As I said we were far from satisfied so on e way home we went to a little gem of a dessert place on Henley beach road that makes these mini pancake circles with lemon, cream and icing. It's got a funny name like Possauges or something odd an d I have seen them at the Fringe but they are sensational. Very popular little place. We had to wait 20 minutes and couldn't get a seat inside. They were the highlight 8.5/10
The PNU Falcs 2005,06,13 x 2,14 and Div 1 Premiers in 2019......The SA 3peat - 2003,04,05
wristwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 845 times

Postby wristwatcher » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:51 am

Mythical Creature wrote:

We went there a couple of years ago for a work Christmas function. Can't remember it enough to give a rating, other than to say there were no complaints from any of us who ate there.

I bet work paid for it otherwise I'm certain you may have a couple of complaints
The PNU Falcs 2005,06,13 x 2,14 and Div 1 Premiers in 2019......The SA 3peat - 2003,04,05
wristwatcher
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:52 am

I remember going there maybe 5 years ago too, and it reminded me of something that would have been really fancy in 1990 and hasnt changed since
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby cennals05 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:54 am

wristwatcher wrote:

I took lady Wristy their in 2013 on the ent book on a Friday night before footy on a Saturday. Whilst I can't remember dish specifics I do however remember the key findings.

- the restaurant spins, a cute novelty initially but somewhat discombobulating after about 5 minutes. It is mildly entertaining but partly unsettling.
- the setting is good, spacious and visually stimulating and did I mention it spins
- it could have just been the cheapness in my eye but he asked me for my ent book gold card before I paid which I found peculiar. " Maybe I didn't want to use the card" ... I did use the card. 25% off from memory but I could be wrong as it was 2 years ago
- entrees ; as I said it was a long forgettable time ago but I maybe had the trio from the sea. Prawn, scallop, and calamari. Tasted great, all 3 half mouth forkfuls. It had a tumble weed of alfalfa that was designed to disguise worlds smallest entree but there is no tricking this fat bastard when there is not enough food on the plate. Can't remeber what Katy had but I do remember us laughing at how small it was (this would be in Starc contrast to the awe she would feel when I would later unsheathed the Wristwatch ;) )
- mains ; I would have had some form of seafood as we were near the sea and I have a theorey on that and once again I was underwhelmed

The price after discount was well over $100. From memory the cost went from maybe $170 to $120 odd which for a fancy dinner with a drink that leads to a little hide the sausage action I could handle if not for one key aspect. We were both still quite hungry. This was also a good 15kgs ago. Not
really ideal. Yes the food did go Ok but unless you order a giant overpriced seafood share platter it really doesn't do the job and the missus doesn't like seafood.

Overall it's a 5/10. I recommend taking her somewhere nice and then going to that place to use their toilet so you get to experience the spinning.

As I said we were far from satisfied so on e way home we went to a little gem of a dessert place on Henley beach road that makes these mini pancake circles with lemon, cream and icing. It's got a funny name like Possauges or something odd an d I have seen them at the Fringe but they are sensational. Very popular little place. We had to wait 20 minutes and couldn't get a seat inside. They were the highlight 8.5/10

Creperie Bruxelles at Mile End?
cennals05
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 146 times
Been liked: 248 times

Postby wristwatcher » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:58 am

cennals05 wrote:
wristwatcher wrote:

Creperie Bruxelles at Mile End?

Googled it and that does look like the place. Some serious gourmet desserts in that place.
wristwatcher
Coach

Postby Johno6 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:59 am

went there ears ago
was so expensive and thankfully I wasn't paying tho.
but wouldn't ever go there again, unless someone else was paying again
R.I.P Mum 28/02/12

Asterix Users - Squibs
Johno6
Coach

Has liked: 344 times
Been liked: 604 times
Grassroots Team: Golden Grove

Postby wristwatcher » Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:01 am

Johno6 wrote:went there ears ago
was so expensive and thankfully I wasn't paying tho.
but wouldn't ever go there again, unless someone else was paying again

Yep I'll go anywhere if someone else is paying especially work :)
wristwatcher
Coach

Postby Mythical Creature » Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:04 am

wristwatcher wrote:
Mythical Creature wrote:

I bet work paid for it otherwise I'm certain you may have a couple of complaints

That and my memory of that night is a little fuzzy for some reason!
If you don't like it, change it. If you don't want to change it, it can't be that bad!
Mythical Creature
Veteran

Has liked: 189 times
Been liked: 237 times
Grassroots Team: United

Postby bennymacca » Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:06 am

dont mind paying for an expansive meal if it is awesome.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby heater31 » Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:19 am

bennymacca wrote:dont mind paying for an expansive meal if it is awesome.

Yep discovered this fact on my recent Overseas trip. A Pub in the back streets of London's East End (Mile End tube stop) had a meal for 2 people which was 85 pounds! Which roughly converts to $180 Australian :shock:

It was good food and the pub had a Michelin review so now all restaurant/pub food is shithouse!
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

Postby bennymacca » Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:23 am

happily paid over $200 for two people multiple times. obviously not as weekly thing though!

I would really love to go here one day.

https://www.hentleyfarm.com.au/menus/

4 hour "discovery menu" at $235 a head with wine!
Went to school with the lad who is the chef too, though didnt know him that well.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:31 am

bennymacca wrote:happily paid over $200 for two people multiple times. obviously not as weekly thing though!

I would really love to go here one day.

https://www.hentleyfarm.com.au/menus/

4 hour "discovery menu" at $235 a head with wine!
Went to school with the lad who is the chef too, though didnt know him that well.

Bugger that, I'd rather get a countery and a hooker.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4344 times
Been liked: 7921 times

Postby wristwatcher » Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:40 am

bennymacca wrote:dont mind paying for an expansive meal if it is awesome.

Agreed as a special occasion. Generally if I'm going to get near the $75 mark per head I tend to hit up Sammys on the Marina and the night after our wedding we tried Fish about half way down and they did a cracker 3tier platter shared between 4 of us that kicked ass and we couldn't get through.
wristwatcher
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:45 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:Bugger that, I'd rather get a countery and a hooker.

I'd rather just get the hooker for longer
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3192 times
Been liked: 3996 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:53 am

Zartan wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:Bugger that, I'd rather get a countery and a hooker.

I'd rather just get the hooker for longer

They go by time??
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4344 times
Been liked: 7921 times

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  General Discussion