Southern Football League

A forum dedicated to the Southern Football League!

Re: Southern Football League

Postby shoe boy » Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:59 am

tigerpie wrote:Shoes losing to HV shores up a home final? Once again this mob really do march to their own beat.
I hope they go out in straight sets!
SFL finals draw is crazy.

Very ordinary post tigerpie,
You fail to make comment on a very good Valley side on the day.
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 488 times
Been liked: 209 times

Postby shoe boy » Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:09 am

Front & Centre wrote:Strange feeling amongst the Valley supporters last night. A grade missing the finals by 1.74% . First time in around 15 years after beating the reigning premiers in a great game. Thanks to Steve Wallace for taking on the coaching gig halfway through the season. Club would love to have him continue next year but he has let us know he won't be going on.
All other grades have finished top 4 so club well positioned for some finals success and long term future looks good for our next club coach.

On a side note surely Noarlunga's best on ground must go to their runner who spends more time on the ground than majority of their players filling holes. Pity he finally got the attention of the umpires....

I hope you are not the peanut with the melting face that continued to make bizarre comments under the veranda ?
I can not recall the last time Valley A grade have not made finals? but with a young squad am sure they will be in the mix next year be it SFL or HFL?
On a side note was any footage of the mark from the valley lad in the last as it was the best I have seen.
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Postby Dutchy » Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:31 am

Down the Hill wrote:Mountain out of molehill guys. Lads that have played SFL since juniors as well as regular finals would have played 20 plus times on most SFL grounds. Melbourne FC dominated the VFL in the 50 s and 60s when they were the only MCG tenant yet played all finals at "home". All you are doing is creating a lame excuse if you lose but a bit sweeter if you win.

I dont have an issue with it in the lower grades. But for the A grade there should be no home ground advantage unless you earned it. Especially as it would be simple to program it so it doesn't occur.

If different grounds where used every year for finals it might be different also, but they dont...
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2326 times
Been liked: 3505 times

Postby shoe boy » Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:46 am

Dutchy wrote:
Down the Hill wrote:Mountain out of molehill guys. Lads that have played SFL since juniors as well as regular finals would have played 20 plus times on most SFL grounds. Melbourne FC dominated the VFL in the 50 s and 60s when they were the only MCG tenant yet played all finals at "home". All you are doing is creating a lame excuse if you lose but a bit sweeter if you win.

I dont have an issue with it in the lower grades. But for the A grade there should be no home ground advantage unless you earned it. Especially as it would be simple to program it so it doesn't occur.

If different grounds where used every year for finals it might be different also, but they dont...

You acknowledging your vested interest!!
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Postby Animus » Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:55 am

Dutchy wrote:

Any chance you do not have an issue with it in the lower grades because Flagstaff Hill get 2 home finals in the C-Grade? ;)
Animus
Under 16s

Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 20 times

Postby tigerpie » Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:51 am

shoe boy wrote:
tigerpie wrote:Shoes losing to HV shores up a home final? Once again this mob really do march to their own beat.
I hope they go out in straight sets!
SFL finals draw is crazy.

Very ordinary post tigerpie,
You fail to make comment on a very good Valley side on the day.

4 up at half time lol...to lose by a similar amount....I smell a rat shoeboy
tigerpie
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 501 times
Been liked: 431 times

Postby qwerty » Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:35 pm

Looking at the Noarlunga team sheet seems like they have a few quality players missing and Valley's form in the back half of the year was pretty reasonable. The top four positions were not set leading into the weekend and I doubt any team would want to go into finals with losing form.

Looks like a pretty even finals series coming up over the next few weeks, its very open this year.

With the night game does anyone know if tickets from the 1v4 final can be used to enter the 2v3 final i think in the past we have been able to get crossover with teams at both venues?
qwerty
Under 16s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 4 times

Postby banterfordays » Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:01 pm

qwerty wrote:Looking at the Noarlunga team sheet seems like they have a few quality players missing and Valley's form in the back half of the year was pretty reasonable. The top four positions were not set leading into the weekend and I doubt any team would want to go into finals with losing form.

Looks like a pretty even finals series coming up over the next few weeks, its very open this year.

With the night game does anyone know if tickets from the 1v4 final can be used to enter the 2v3 final i think in the past we have been able to get crossover with teams at both venues?

I believe so

Kudos to Steve and HV had the opportunity to flood the B grade to qualify a couple of players but played his best 21 and reaped the rewards

That home ground advantage as never helped flaggy C grade, take it away
banterfordays

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 5 times
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Postby Down the Hill » Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:33 pm

qwerty wrote:Looking at the Noarlunga team sheet seems like they have a few quality players missing and Valley's form in the back half of the year was pretty reasonable. The top four positions were not set leading into the weekend and I doubt any team would want to go into finals with losing form.

Same day crossover for week 1 of finals still applies Qwerty. This will likely see an even bigger crowd at Port Noarlunga as the day proceeds. I just hope Porties and the SFL are geared for the chaos that often occurs with the narrow entry road and the lack of parking structure around the ground. Forecast looking OK for Saturday.
Down the Hill
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 276 times
Grassroots Team: Brighton District & OS

Postby shoe boy » Mon Aug 31, 2015 3:22 pm

Just noticed that the final tables for A and B grades reflects almost the same also similar down to under 14 .
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Postby Mister Footy » Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:57 pm

banterfordays wrote:

I believe so

Kudos to Steve and HV had the opportunity to flood the B grade to qualify a couple of players but played his best 21 and reaped the rewards

That home ground advantage as never helped flaggy C grade, take it away

Opportunity was there to stack the b grade side and qualify bunch of lads who are solid a graders but with all due respect to the b grade comp A grade is Valleys and every clubs first priority.

We played the game on Saturday hoping to make finals and so did the Shoes. Anyone who thinks they threw the game to get a home final wasn't there

Bitterly disappointed not to be playing finals. :( Good luck to all other HV grades

Hunt for new coach well under way bring on season 2016
Mister Footy
Under 18s

Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 28 times
Grassroots Team: Happy Valley

Postby King » Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:13 pm

Look Good In Leather wrote:Wow, Flaggies pretty mouthy right now, any other previous comments you want to dig up at this time King?

Still 4 weeks to go

Hey LGIL, that's not mouthy, that's educating a no knowledge critic.

Now if you want mouthy, this is mouthy!!

Flaggies A grade TOP, Christies 6th.
Flaggies B grade 2nd, Christies 8th.
Flaggies 18s TOP, Christies 6th.
Flaggies 16s 3rd, Christies 5th
Flaggies 14s TOP, Christies 6th.

I deliberately put TOP instead of first because as you say, 4 weeks to go! Try and enjoy them!!
King
Under 16s

Been liked: 14 times

Postby Oldman Munga » Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:34 pm

King wrote:
Oldman Munga wrote:
mrp2626 wrote:Brighton had a great day of games down at the Shoe oval on Saturday. Was good to watch all games, and all were played in good spirit. Brighton won the A grade by about 5 goals in the end I believe. Noarlunga were without Johncock, Comer and Minns, and seemed to have a a bit more trouble than last year in the ctr.There was some good ball movement from both sides though. I think our guys will be more competitive this year by the looks of things. Looking forward to seeing what round 1 has in store for us. I would be interested to hear a Noarlunga perspective on the game!?

Agreed MRP was a good day of footy and might add rather well supported by your club who are not renowned for travelling , it's always good to blow the cobwebs out before the real stuff begins , your outfit look to be in great condition and I reckon luck permitting , you will have a reasonable yr
Been a fair bit of movement on the Noarlunga list in the off season with Minns(Pt Lincoln) W.Johncock (Glenelg ) Comer retiring and coaching our B Grade.Booga retiring again ,Hudson back to Mt Gambier due to work , B&F winner Rattley concentrating on work for now but expected to return before mid yr, Carlisle out for the season after shoulder surgery and Henry Kerinuia currently back on the Tiwi Islands but expected to return to Coburg in the VFL. where he has done some pre-season work
Lindsay Moreen has returned after a good season with the Tiwi Bombers
On the in front Copestick has returned after 3 years with Bordertown , Mitch Mulroney a 6ft 10 ruckman from Ainslie in the NEAFL ,Owen Henry from Tiwi Bombers, Owen Patterson from Tennant Creek, and Kynan Betts who won last yrs Mail Medal at Malle Pk in Pt Lincoln, and the return of Hocking,Emery and Atkinson who missed last yr with Knee reconstructions and ankle surgery respectively ,
We have also been selected as home club by Glenelg recruit Willie Rioli Jnr ,but I doubt we will see him at all such is the calibre of young Willie,.

Having Nick Mott,Matthew Johncock and Kynan Betts on the Crows Reserves Top Up List throws us a whole new scenario for 2015 , will be very interesting to see how that works , Mott and Johncock have had solid pre seasons and impressed early ,
All in all we are in a lot better place than we were at this stage last yr with more than 10 players expected to play B Grade who have had a good taste of A Grade footy , Mitts certainly will be a lot busier at team selection this yr with a bit more depth at his disposal
The $64 question is are we good enough to defend the flag ???? [b] Ask me in late August and I'll give you an answer

Oldman: I'm asking.
[/b]

With Dean,Caudle and K.Miller to come back in the side , we are as good a chance as any
Oldman Munga
Rookie

Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 13 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby King » Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:44 pm

Oldman Munga wrote:
King wrote:
Oldman Munga wrote:
mrp2626 wrote:Brighton had a great day of games down at the Shoe oval on Saturday. Was good to watch all games, and all were played in good spirit. Brighton won the A grade by about 5 goals in the end I believe. Noarlunga were without Johncock, Comer and Minns, and seemed to have a a bit more trouble than last year in the ctr.There was some good ball movement from both sides though. I think our guys will be more competitive this year by the looks of things. Looking forward to seeing what round 1 has in store for us. I would be interested to hear a Noarlunga perspective on the game!?

Agreed MRP was a good day of footy and might add rather well supported by your club who are not renowned for travelling , it's always good to blow the cobwebs out before the real stuff begins , your outfit look to be in great condition and I reckon luck permitting , you will have a reasonable yr
Been a fair bit of movement on the Noarlunga list in the off season with Minns(Pt Lincoln) W.Johncock (Glenelg ) Comer retiring and coaching our B Grade.Booga retiring again ,Hudson back to Mt Gambier due to work , B&F winner Rattley concentrating on work for now but expected to return before mid yr, Carlisle out for the season after shoulder surgery and Henry Kerinuia currently back on the Tiwi Islands but expected to return to Coburg in the VFL. where he has done some pre-season work
Lindsay Moreen has returned after a good season with the Tiwi Bombers
On the in front Copestick has returned after 3 years with Bordertown , Mitch Mulroney a 6ft 10 ruckman from Ainslie in the NEAFL ,Owen Henry from Tiwi Bombers, Owen Patterson from Tennant Creek, and Kynan Betts who won last yrs Mail Medal at Malle Pk in Pt Lincoln, and the return of Hocking,Emery and Atkinson who missed last yr with Knee reconstructions and ankle surgery respectively ,
We have also been selected as home club by Glenelg recruit Willie Rioli Jnr ,but I doubt we will see him at all such is the calibre of young Willie,.

Having Nick Mott,Matthew Johncock and Kynan Betts on the Crows Reserves Top Up List throws us a whole new scenario for 2015 , will be very interesting to see how that works , Mott and Johncock have had solid pre seasons and impressed early ,
All in all we are in a lot better place than we were at this stage last yr with more than 10 players expected to play B Grade who have had a good taste of A Grade footy , Mitts certainly will be a lot busier at team selection this yr with a bit more depth at his disposal
The $64 question is are we good enough to defend the flag ???? [b] Ask me in late August and I'll give you an answer

[/b]

With Dean,Caudle and K.Miller to come back in the side , we are as good a chance as any

Tend to agree with that albeit word on the street is Caudle done for the year.
King
Under 16s

Been liked: 14 times

Postby shoe boy » Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:40 am

[/b][/quote]

With Dean,Caudle and K.Miller to come back in the side , we are as good a chance as any[/quote]

Tend to agree with that albeit word on the street is Caudle done for the year.[/quote]

Look good last night in the gym benching 100kg
shoe boy
Assistant Coach

Postby Look Good In Leather » Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:17 am

King wrote:
Look Good In Leather wrote:Wow, Flaggies pretty mouthy right now, any other previous comments you want to dig up at this time King?

Still 4 weeks to go

Hey LGIL, that's not mouthy, that's educating a no knowledge critic.

Now if you want mouthy, this is mouthy!!

Flaggies A grade TOP, Christies 6th.
Flaggies B grade 2nd, Christies 8th.
Flaggies 18s TOP, Christies 6th.
Flaggies 16s 3rd, Christies 5th
Flaggies 14s TOP, Christies 6th.

I deliberately put TOP instead of first because as you say, 4 weeks to go! Try and enjoy them!!

You should have no issues then, already in the bag I guess, have you organized the t-shirts?
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 284 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby fido bedow » Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:55 am

spot on wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
vics01 wrote:Astounded once again for the inability of the SFL to move finals venues so as to not allow home ground advantage. Surely it is not that hard?

Here is their chance. It would take no work at all to transfer Flaggies v Shoes to Porties and Reynella v Brighton to Noarlunga. Leave all other games as they are.

Nothing hard about that at all surely?

I see M/V v Christies A Grade Sunday At Christies oval and also on Sunday B Grade M/V v Christies at Aldinga.
Surely they could have these two games at the same oval, will be hard to organise support staff apart from anything else, plus home ground advantage for Christies A's

On SFL website the B grade elimination final between M/Vale and Christies has now been moved to Christies oval and The shoes v Towns B grade now at Aldinga. Looks like common sense has prevailed.
fido bedow
Rookie

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 0 time

Postby Down the Hill » Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:22 pm

fido bedow wrote:
spot on wrote:
Dutchy wrote:
vics01 wrote:Astounded once again for the inability of the SFL to move finals venues so as to not allow home ground advantage. Surely it is not that hard?

Here is their chance. It would take no work at all to transfer Flaggies v Shoes to Porties and Reynella v Brighton to Noarlunga. Leave all other games as they are.

Nothing hard about that at all surely?

I see M/V v Christies A Grade Sunday At Christies oval and also on Sunday B Grade M/V v Christies at Aldinga.
Surely they could have these two games at the same oval, will be hard to organise support staff apart from anything else, plus home ground advantage for Christies A's

On SFL website the B grade elimination final between M/Vale and Christies has now been moved to Christies oval and The shoes v Towns B grade now at Aldinga. Looks like common sense has prevailed.

No doubt the 2 clubs would have requested this, but well done to the SFL for approving the request. CB and MV/Cove are also playing in the U18 game at Bice and now the Noarlunga B grade will play after the Ald/Noar U18s at Aldinga. With 5 grades it's rare that switching games will not have a negative impact on at least one club but it appears that everyone is a winner with this Sunday's scenario.
Down the Hill
League Bench Warmer

Postby Dutchy » Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:17 pm

Animus wrote:
Dutchy wrote:

Any chance you do not have an issue with it in the lower grades because Flagstaff Hill get 2 home finals in the C-Grade? ;)

No I don't, I have no issue with our 14's playing Shoes @ Shoes this Sat despite finishing top.

While there are many inequities with the A grade competition that the SFL can't control, this is one they can and should.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2326 times
Been liked: 3505 times

Postby Down the Hill » Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:48 pm

Get over it Dutchy. FH get the spacious home changerooms and a better positioned coaches box. You have a team made up of lads who have played SFL for years so Patapinda Road should hold no fears for your club. And there is no significant peculiarity about the oval that provides the Shoes with any major edge. As I have said previously, even the VFL with the Demons and the SANFL with South (on the few occasions they made finals) had this so called inequity but has history recorded their finals victories with an asterisk when they got to play on their home ground as the away team.
Down the Hill
League Bench Warmer

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  SFL