The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

Postby cennals05 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:51 pm

csbowes wrote:I'm back for my one (well maybe more) post for the year following the AFL debacle...

I like the idea of a nicely articulated email that supporters of the SANFL could send to the clubs and the league. You might remember that I did email all 8 clubs and the league earlier in the year concerning crowds and the possible detrimental affect the AFL reserves teams were having. I received a reply from Norwood, but the other 7 clubs plus the SANFL ignored the email. I have to say, I was pretty disappointed with that considering the email wasn't a tirade against the Crows and Power, but rather a calm email asking for insight into what the club / league thought of the situation. My email and the response from Norwood can be found in the attendances thread (from memory).

The only issue with sending an email to the 8 clubs and SANFL again (and I'd suggest a generic email of protest, not sullied by emotion, but certainly clearly expressing one's sadness at the state of the league) is that there needs to be LOTS of people who send them.

For example, Norwood receiving 3-4 emails isn't going to have much impact. Norwood receiving 50-60 emails may well cause a reaction. I'm fearful that the only people who would send such an email are those on here, so in the end, you might get 10 or so people on board. I can't see the clubs giving a toss about so few complaints. The email would need to be posted to the no AFL sites on Facebook, if they still exist, I'm not on Facebook so wouldn't know, but if they are, then maybe that would help gather sufficient numbers. Maybe going on there and polling the group to see if there is support would give one an idea whether there could be an impact.

Joining with WAFL fans and emailing the same email to those clubs may also be a good idea.

CCing in relevant media personalities would also be a good idea.

In addition, people have to put their money where their mouth is. If you're going to continue being a member, then really your complaints and threats mean nothing, as you're being screwed but choosing to give them money anyway. If you're truly unhappy with the state of the league, then you need to walk away and not give the club the money. By continuing to support your club financially, its akin to being unhappy with your kid being an ice addict, while at the same time being happy to drive your son to his dealer to pick up a nickel bag. I'm not saying you don't care enough if you do continue to pay up, or that I care more, not at all, I'm just saying that from my perspective your complaint has less impact.

It's hard to do. I stopped my membership with Sturt after 2012 and 20 years as a member. I went back this year after protests and abuse from my footy friends, but I have to say, I can't see myself joining up again in 2016.

I used to go to 15-16 games a year plus finals. Now I go to 2-3 at most.

Ideally the email would state that the author will not be re-newing his/her membership the following year and will withdraw any other secondary financial support for the club. If there is no change in 2016, then a follow up email should be sent in unison with other fans, confirming no membership will be bought, so that the message is rammed home. For those that say this is cutting off your nose to spite your face, I see that argument, one is punishing one's own club and making their survival more difficult, how is that being a good supporter? Agree, I see that. For me though, support is a two way street, if the club has no concern for me as a supporter, I can hardly be expected to show them undying love.

In the end I'm supporting a product and if the clubs choose to change that product, they can't rely on me to continue to want to buy it.

Looking at this forum over 2015, its pretty obvious the interest in the league by members on here is almost nil. So many games go un-previewed, un-reviewed, not followed live, its amazing how much people have moved on.

Completely agree that it has to be a mass email to have any effect. People sending the email need to send it to ALL clubs, the SANFL and media outlets.

I have started writing something but am having trouble articulating what I want to say. I have so far addressed the concern at falling crowds and the fact that the SANFL seems to exist now to make Port and Crows happy.
cennals05
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 146 times
Been liked: 248 times

Postby JK » Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:05 pm

change.org?
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4438 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby stan » Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:52 pm

RB wrote:
cennals05 wrote:A tweet from Rucci...

michelangelo rucci ‏@michelangeloruc 2m2 minutes ago
Sad that the very "diehard" people who mocked @PAFC and tarps have abandoned their @SANFL clubs. @modlang1 @DBCrows @kymmorgan15 #falselove

I have the pleasure of seeing him everyday at work. It takes a lot of restraint not to punch him in the face after tweets like this.

I'll give you fifty dollars.

I'll give $100.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby cennals05 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:00 pm

Here we go again...

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl ... a219e2bff8

I like this part...

SANFL crowds at the recently completed home-and-away series are down 13 per cent. Why?

Those without hidden agendas will note:

FANS do now compare the buzz of Adelaide Oval with all that is now seen as lacking at SANFL suburban venues. Some club leaders should spend some time on the terraces at Unley and Prospect to understand there is a problem.

No mention of his hidden agenda in writing the article.
cennals05
League Bench Warmer

Postby JK » Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:01 pm

stan wrote:
RB wrote:

Sad that the very "diehard" people who mocked @PAFC and tarps have abandoned their @SANFL clubs. @modlang1 @DBCrows @kymmorgan15 #falselove

I have the pleasure of seeing him everyday at work. It takes a lot of restraint not to punch him in the face after tweets like this.

I'll give you fifty dollars.

I'll give $100.

Yep, Stan and me will give you $105 between us :)
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby UK Fan » Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:44 pm

cennals05 wrote:Got a couple of replies from him....

And why would crowds fall in the non-reserves, pure @SANFL games such as Eagles v Panthers? @MichLeighSmith @modlang1 @DBCrows @kymmorgan15

He still just does not get it. The competition is completely compromised so people can't see any point following it anymore.

Good question Rucci #dumbass
fester69 wrote: I'm full of "pish and wind" !!You can call me weak !!

MW wrote: Well call me a special asshole!.

Booney wrote: I'm a happy clapper **** stick.

THE SKY HAS FALLEN!!!!
UK Fan
Coach

Has liked: 1197 times
Been liked: 500 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:14 pm

Funnily, today I was going to PM you and ask you how you feel about working with these guys. lol
Also, funnily, I haven't had a response to my tweets about how 14 is the magic number, or about a bloke missing last year's GF due to the need to fit AFL players in.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby Dogwatcher » Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:15 pm

CENTURION wrote:We can't compromise on this, there is only 1 solution, kick them out......and if we go arse up, well we were going to anyway BUT I'd rather go arse up under our terms, not theirs.
NO AFL IN THE SANFL!!

Rather die standing up than on yours knees kind of stuff that.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Postby Dogwatcher » Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:22 pm

cennals05 wrote:Here we go again...

I like this part...

SANFL crowds at the recently completed home-and-away series are down 13 per cent. Why?

FANS do now compare the buzz of Adelaide Oval with all that is now seen as lacking at SANFL suburban venues. Some club leaders should spend some time on the terraces at Unley and Prospect to understand there is a problem.

Never mind what we hear/read about folks being arrested/reported at AFL games. Never mind, right or wrong, the whole Adam Goodes thing .What you hear on the terraces at the SANFL is nothing compared to the AFL. Haven't heard of too many reports of players being racially abused at SANFL games - take out the Goodes question and there are still regular occasions where this is reported as occurring at AFL games.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Postby spell_check » Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:45 pm

Believe it or not, I do think the improved attendances for the AFL teams have some part - please note I said 'some' though. If you have been a follower of my tables in the Attendance Comparison thread, you'll note that 2005 had the lowest attendances prior to 2013. In 2005, the Crows and Power were both in the finals, even playing against each other. Whereas in 2011, the two were at the other end of the table, with of course the Power just avoiding the wooden spoon and you note the increase in the SANFL attendance.

Where I am going to target that article is the 'healthy' crowds in August. This table features minor round averages in August only:
Attachments
August.PNG
August.PNG (7.71 KiB) Viewed 1584 times
spell_check
Coach

Has liked: 45 times
Been liked: 178 times

Postby Booney » Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:02 pm

So close....
Attachments
Ff4VGz0hzeelv1BTJOwaiETDoQ6-K7evGpp-54sZt11VZnlVLZBc7rQsfEs10RGNUhCFkikfOaJu73KOZk_roDOLwoOSMCjOPw=w275-h214-nc.jpeg
Ff4VGz0hzeelv1BTJOwaiETDoQ6-K7evGpp-54sZt11VZnlVLZBc7rQsfEs10RGNUhCFkikfOaJu73KOZk_roDOLwoOSMCjOPw=w275-h214-nc.jpeg (12.99 KiB) Viewed 1581 times
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby wild dog » Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:28 am

I like this part...

Love your work Cennals05. Ruccis stuff is normally pseudo intellectual garbage and like most Murdoch hacks, driven by sales (except for the Australian of course ) and ideology (definitely including the Australian. )
Keep up the quality correspondence you are getting the better of him.
wild dog
Under 18s

Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 180 times
Grassroots Team: Smithfield

Postby holden78 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:30 am

Rucci is a classic smoke and mirror's man who changes the subject to avoid the anti PAP / AFL issues ....... ie. talk about crowds are down but don't say
the comp. is more compromised then before! Teflon Ange
holden78
League - Best 21

Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 55 times

Postby MAY-Z » Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:38 am

spell_check wrote:Believe it or not, I do think the improved attendances for the AFL teams have some part - please note I said 'some' though. If you have been a follower of my tables in the Attendance Comparison thread, you'll note that 2005 had the lowest attendances prior to 2013. In 2005, the Crows and Power were both in the finals, even playing against each other. Whereas in 2011, the two were at the other end of the table, with of course the Power just avoiding the wooden spoon and you note the increase in the SANFL attendance.

Where I am going to target that article is the 'healthy' crowds in August. This table features minor round averages in August only:

also to consider in these 'healthy' figures is that at least 2 games, eagles vs crows and glenelg vs crows had inflated figures due to other matches being played beforehand, I don't think that happened in any other games did it?
MAY-Z
2008 Punting Comp Winner

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 16 times

Postby Dutchy » Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:27 am

Dilena said the club was aware of the impact the decision to rest players will have on VFL aligned side Werribee in this weekend’s elimination final.

“We value our relationship with Werribee and fully understand the repercussions this may have on its finals campaign,” Dilena added.

“This is an unprecedented situation and we have to do what’s best for our players in the circumstances.”

Another issue that will no doubt affect the SANFL when both teams make the finals, North Melb's stance above, which rolls into Werribee's first final.

I can see the Crows reserves, playing their first ever SANFL final with only 3-4 AFL listed players and the rest from country leagues....
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby cennals05 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:37 am

Dutchy wrote:
Dilena said the club was aware of the impact the decision to rest players will have on VFL aligned side Werribee in this weekend’s elimination final.

“We value our relationship with Werribee and fully understand the repercussions this may have on its finals campaign,” Dilena added.

“This is an unprecedented situation and we have to do what’s best for our players in the circumstances.”

Another issue that will no doubt affect the SANFL when both teams make the finals, North Melb's stance above, which rolls into Werribee's first final.

I can see the Crows reserves, playing their first ever SANFL final with only 3-4 AFL listed players and the rest from country leagues....

And today we may see Port do the opposite and put more importance on their SANFL team by dropping qualified players.
cennals05
League Bench Warmer

Postby cennals05 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:55 am

wild dog wrote:

I like this part...

Love your work Cennals05. Ruccis stuff is normally pseudo intellectual garbage and like most Murdoch hacks, driven by sales (except for the Australian of course ) and ideology (definitely including the Australian. )
Keep up the quality correspondence you are getting the better of him.

I am waiting on some answers from Kris Grant before I start my next attack. Just want to clarify a few points. If anyone else knows the answers to these questions, please post them.

- Do Port pay the $400000 fee like the Crows? I have read a lot about the Crows paying this but haven't seen Port mentioned anywhere.
- How much of the cost of a ticket do the home teams get? Do they get the full $14 or only a percentage?
- With the TV coverage does the sponsorship this has generated (RAA, IGA etc) only cover the $1mill cost or is there extra that is distributed to the clubs?
- On average how many people are walk up payees on the day compared to season ticket holders at a home game?
cennals05
League Bench Warmer

Postby bennymacca » Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:15 am

Although Rucci is being deliberately provocative, I think there is one point he makes which does make a little bit of sense.

It is completely fair enough that a lot of people feel like their passion for the comp has been diminished because of the introduction of the Reserves teams, but complaining that crowds are down and will continue to go down and then not showing up yourself creates a self fulfilling prophecy.

SANFL teams arguably need their supporters more than ever, so I think a few of you are having a bet each way by complaining that crowds are going down, but yet not going yourself either, even to non reserves games.

Now a few of you probably arent reading this sentence because you are already frothing at the mouth, but I think there is also another reason why interest might be down. It has probably been mentioned before, but seeing how the crows players went at SANFL clubs was a reason for me to keep interested. I used to check the scores of the random norwood game just to see how the crows lads have went.

Now I only have to go and check the crows reserves score (along with the centrals score too).
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby JK » Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:20 am

I'm pretty certain that Port don't pay the same fee as the Crows to play in the SANFL
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby Rising Power » Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:39 am

JK wrote:I'm pretty certain that Port don't pay the same fee as the Crows to play in the SANFL

The $400k is an annual licence fee for entering the SANFL competition. Port are/were an existing entity in the competition so no fee applies.

Initial terms:
Crows: http://www.sanfl.com.au/news/sanfl_news/2179/
Port: http://www.sanfl.com.au/news/sanfl_news/2228/
Rising Power
Under 16s

Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 44 times
Grassroots Team: Hectorville

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL