Re: The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

Postby am Bays » Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:17 pm

Rising Power wrote:4000 replies

:lol:

the topic not the SANFL
Attachments
dead-horse.gif
dead-horse.gif (129.04 KiB) Viewed 1966 times
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1807 times

Postby bennymacca » Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:22 pm

One for each crows supporter at the game each week :)
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby cennals05 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:48 pm

cennals05 wrote:
wild dog wrote:
cennals05 wrote:Here we go again...

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl ... a219e2bff8

I like this part...

SANFL crowds at the recently completed home-and-away series are down 13 per cent. Why?

Those without hidden agendas will note:

FANS do now compare the buzz of Adelaide Oval with all that is now seen as lacking at SANFL suburban venues. Some club leaders should spend some time on the terraces at Unley and Prospect to understand there is a problem.

No mention of his hidden agenda in writing the article.

Love your work Cennals05. Ruccis stuff is normally pseudo intellectual garbage and like most Murdoch hacks, driven by sales (except for the Australian of course ) and ideology (definitely including the Australian. )
Keep up the quality correspondence you are getting the better of him.

I am waiting on some answers from Kris Grant before I start my next attack. Just want to clarify a few points. If anyone else knows the answers to these questions, please post them.

- Do Port pay the $400000 fee like the Crows? I have read a lot about the Crows paying this but haven't seen Port mentioned anywhere.
As already mentioned no they do not. They are in the competition for free
- How much of the cost of a ticket do the home teams get? Do they get the full $14 or only a percentage?
Home teams get $12 of the $14 for a full paying attendee. If a person buys a home match ticket the club receives all of that money.
For full season tickets the SANFL get $32

- With the TV coverage does the sponsorship this has generated (RAA, IGA etc) only cover the $1mill cost or is there extra that is distributed to the clubs?
Clubs do not see any money from the TV generated sponsors
- On average how many people are walk up payees on the day compared to season ticket holders at a home game?
- They don't really have a way of knowing this one

Kris suggested that a few clubs are now re-thinking their decision to vote YES.
cennals05
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 146 times
Been liked: 248 times

Postby Zorro » Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:57 pm

Ecky wrote:
bennymacca wrote:
serious question - do you guys feel like your opinions were ignored? Or that they were heard but dismissed?

At the Glenelg "members information night" Chiggy's line was very much that I have made MY decision. We made it very clear to him what we felt in the meeting and also at the bar after the meeting but it was obvious that there was nothing we could have said that would have changed his mind.

PS I know this is a sample size of 1, but I went to 95% of Glenelg games between 2000 and 2013, and I have been to zero since then. It's got to a point where I don't always even know on a Saturday night if Glenelg has played yet or not that weekend, I've just lost all interest.

Make that a sample size of 2, this pretty much sums my situation up as well.
The Cocks Will Rise Again
Zorro
Under 18s

Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 52 times

Postby PhilH » Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:24 pm

- On average how many people are walk up payees on the day compared to season ticket holders at a home game?
- They don't really have a way of knowing this one

Correction ... each club does get a break up of the crowd numbers from gate staff into a few categories
- children u18
- officials
- promotional tickets
- walk up pay at gate
- season / home match pass

what clubs don't know at this point is how many of each groups support which club (or neither in case of media / umpires etc)
PhilH
League - Top 5

Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 163 times
Grassroots Team: Happy Valley

Postby MAY-Z » Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:45 pm

Ecky wrote:
bennymacca wrote:
serious question - do you guys feel like your opinions were ignored? Or that they were heard but dismissed?

At the Glenelg "members information night" Chiggy's line was very much that I have made MY decision. We made it very clear to him what we felt in the meeting and also at the bar after the meeting but it was obvious that there was nothing we could have said that would have changed his mind.

PS I know this is a sample size of 1, but I went to 95% of Glenelg games between 2000 and 2013, and I have been to zero since then. It's got to a point where I don't always even know on a Saturday night if Glenelg has played yet or not that weekend, I've just lost all interest.

the game at Elizabeth the other week was my first Glenelg game since Chiggy voted yes.

I have been to a total of 6 games in the last 2 seasons, all at Elizabeth oval so glad to see they get most of the money from gate receipts, after averaging around 28 games a season the previous 9 years.
MAY-Z
2008 Punting Comp Winner

Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 16 times

Postby Aerie » Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:26 pm

Zorro wrote:
Ecky wrote:
bennymacca wrote:

Make that a sample size of 2, this pretty much sums my situation up as well.

Yep, me too. Although did get a season ticket last year and ended up going to about half the games. Easy to lose track once you break the habit of going week in week out.
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 504 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:40 pm

haven't been since the vote of yes after attending most weeks for the best part of 23yrs or so
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11834 times
Been liked: 3593 times

Postby spell_check » Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:22 pm

I'm kinda like a parent/child relationship to the SANFL currently...you love them no matter what they do in life, but you still remind them of the bad choices they make in the hope they change.

MAY-Z wrote:also to consider in these 'healthy' figures is that at least 2 games, eagles vs crows and glenelg vs crows had inflated figures due to other matches being played beforehand, I don't think that happened in any other games did it?

I'm not aware of any other matches before the Crows for other teams, we had an Under 18s match against Sturt the previous encounter this year.

The one thing that really gives me the sh1ts is the weather excuse when it was conveniently forgot last year when compared to 2013...that really grinds my gears that one.
spell_check
Coach

Has liked: 45 times
Been liked: 178 times

Postby bays2011 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:37 pm

spell_check wrote:
The one thing that really gives me the sh1ts is the weather excuse when it was conveniently forgot last year when compared to 2013...that really grinds my gears that one.

Indeed. A bit like a certain club CEO who is taking out the Taylor Walker match crowd when comparing with last year. Pretty sure he was happy to include the taylor walker crowd figure when comparing 2014 with 2013. You really have to laugh.
bays2011
Rookie

Been liked: 20 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Postby Dogmatic » Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:04 pm

Dutchy wrote:
Dilena said the club was aware of the impact the decision to rest players will have on VFL aligned side Werribee in this weekend’s elimination final.

“We value our relationship with Werribee and fully understand the repercussions this may have on its finals campaign,” Dilena added.

“This is an unprecedented situation and we have to do what’s best for our players in the circumstances.”

Another issue that will no doubt affect the SANFL when both teams make the finals, North Melb's stance above, which rolls into Werribee's first final.

I can see the Crows reserves, playing their first ever SANFL final with only 3-4 AFL listed players and the rest from country leagues....

The Freo B team Peel Thunder are playing a qualifying final on the weekend.
They have made 9 changes so far from their last selected team..
For every one I miss I am closer to a hole in one.
Dogmatic
League - Best 21

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 32 times
Grassroots Team: Brahma Lodge

Postby VALE PARK » Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:50 pm

I thought we had a dry winter,ask the farmers.
Can hardly remember a wet game.
Do remember some brilliant Saturday afternoons with no footy (4 byes this year!).
Let's not talk shout the programming.
VALE PARK
Under 18s

Been liked: 59 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby csbowes » Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:40 am

So nice to see Adelaide and its retarded fans bleating over the integrity of the competition being challenged.

Thanks North Melbourne... hope that move knocks Adelaide out of the finals.
csbowes
League - Best 21

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 77 times

Postby csbowes » Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:43 am

cennals05 wrote:Completely agree that it has to be a mass email to have any effect. People sending the email need to send it to ALL clubs, the SANFL and media outlets.

I have started writing something but am having trouble articulating what I want to say. I have so far addressed the concern at falling crowds and the fact that the SANFL seems to exist now to make Port and Crows happy.

From what I've seen since my post, I don't think there's much chance of people protesting with any conviction.

Facts seem to be that while 50% of SANFL fans might be unhappy with the Reserves concept, 80% of those disgruntled fans will continue to follow the league and support their clubs regardless.

On that basis, Chiggy and company made the right decision. They knew they could make that call and in the end people would go with it.
csbowes
League - Best 21

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 77 times

Postby CENTURION » Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:22 am

csbowes wrote:
cennals05 wrote:Completely agree that it has to be a mass email to have any effect. People sending the email need to send it to ALL clubs, the SANFL and media outlets.

I have started writing something but am having trouble articulating what I want to say. I have so far addressed the concern at falling crowds and the fact that the SANFL seems to exist now to make Port and Crows happy.

From what I've seen since my post, I don't think there's much chance of people protesting with any conviction.

Facts seem to be that while 50% of SANFL fans might be unhappy with the Reserves concept, 80% of those disgruntled fans will continue to follow the league and support their clubs regardless.

On that basis, Chiggy and company made the right decision. They knew they could make that call and in the end people would go with it.

I still attend every game possible except for matches involving The Crows & Power reserves, and trust me, my club knows my stance on this.
Member No. 988 & PROUD to sponsor The CDFC!!
CENTURION
Coach

Has liked: 204 times
Been liked: 112 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby holden78 » Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:52 am

Whatever the two Cancers are paying it's only worth 18 games of compromise, why would the SANFL seriously let them anywhere near Finals

after seeing this weeks dogs breakfast in the AFL???????????????

This is all set up for Olsen to ride in on his white horse and be remembered for something meaningful ;)
holden78
League - Best 21

Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 55 times

Postby Dutchy » Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:54 am

Ecky wrote:

Ironically that information night with Chiggy was the last time I have been at the club after supporting them since the early 80's.

My 2 boys used to love wearing their Bays jumpers...now have no interest. They have not only killed off their core supporter basis they have hurt future generations.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2320 times
Been liked: 3494 times

Postby Spargo » Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:14 am

holden78 wrote:This is all set up for Olsen to ride in on his white horse and be remembered for something meaningful ;)

You mean other than assuring everyone in 2012-13 there will never be AFL reserves playing in the SANFL?
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5471 times
Been liked: 5114 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Magellan » Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:42 am

80% of those disgruntled fans will continue to follow the league and support their clubs regardless.

I think csbowes makes an excellent point here. The SANFL clubs know that dyed-in-the-wool SANFL supporters are, in the main, going to persevere despite severe modifications to the structure and integrity of the game. This is because their passion for their club runs deep, irrespective of what happens around it.

I think you see a comparable situation in English football (and I'll stand to be corrected by those who know more about the EPL than me). Fans of the 'less wealthy' teams (for want of a better term) will support their side year in year out even though they have no realistic chance of competing with the resource rich power sides who continually dominate the top of the table. Their only genuine opportunity to wrestle the title away from these power teams is to be bought out by a wealthy benefactor who is willing to splash the cash. Despite this, supporters can't and won't countenance the idea of ditching their team. It'd be a crime to do so. They may not even see the inequity as an issue. At any rate, they keep on supporting and hope in their heart of hearts their team will one day win the title.

My 2 boys used to love wearing their Bays jumpers...now have no interest. They have not only killed off their core supporter basis they have hurt future generations.

This is the bit I don't get. Irrespective of whether current fans drop off or continue to support, they're not going to be around forever.

Where will the next generation of SANFL supporters who will become paying members and active club participants come from? Surely relying on $50,000 a year from the Crows is not a sustainable solution.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL