1%
Unley Mercedes Jets
6%
Walkerville
6%

Total votes : 69

Re: Ch9 AFL Division 2 - 2015

Postby BigB » Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:30 pm

He was already employed by the boss, so just part of an existing employee/employer relationship to have discussions about all manner of work related stuff. Anyway, he's a grass roots boy who loves our "country club" kind of community. And we love him too :)
BigB

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 38 times
Grassroots Team: Unley

Postby jo172 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:36 pm

BigB wrote:He was already employed by the boss, so just part of an existing employee/employer relationship to have discussions about all manner of work related stuff. Anyway, he's a grass roots boy who loves our "country club" kind of community. And we love him too :)

Good on him/Unley for it too. Only singled him out because of the speech last night. This practice would be happening everywhere and with the salary cap will become more widespread. Just highlights what (in my view) is a potentially unfair aspect of the salary cap, as some clubs (let's say Uni/SPOC/PAOC etc.) are (probably) in a better position to offer these salary cap exempt benefits than others (i.e Smithfield, Mitchell Park, West Croydon).

Seems a bit counter-intuitive to the "level playing field" theory.
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1198 times
Been liked: 724 times

Postby Mr Beefy » Thu Sep 10, 2015 3:11 pm

I guess that means any sponsor can flick a few bucks to a player and say he is employed by said sponsor
Mr Beefy
Coach

Has liked: 406 times
Been liked: 651 times
Grassroots Team: Rosewater

Postby morell » Thu Sep 10, 2015 3:12 pm

I tend to agree, but there are plenty of tradesman and what not at those clubs with traditionally lower socio-economic demographics.

So at Unley it might be that the Junior Lawyer makes Partner, at Mitchell Park it might be that the bricky gets the sub division.
morell
Coach

Has liked: 2017 times
Been liked: 1141 times
Grassroots Team: Mitchell Park

Postby jo172 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 3:18 pm

morell wrote:I tend to agree, but there are plenty of tradesman and what not at those clubs with traditionally lower socio-economic demographics.

So at Unley it might be that the Junior Lawyer makes Partner, at Mitchell Park it might be that the bricky gets the sub division.

I was loathe to name individual clubs because it in itself is terribly classist and I have no idea of the inner workings of really any club.

I don't understand why the clause stating "non football club employment income" won't be assessed as to whether it is market value (or whatever the specific wording is).

If it were me I would have removed that clause knowing full well that the CFB/League lack the resources and expertise (and arguably legal right) to inspect independent employment agreements for market value. Leave a bit of mystery there with the attempt to scare clubs away from any funny business (given that the Salary Cap's strongest feature is the deterrent effect).

Effectively the insertion of that clause has just legitimized sponsors paying players directly rather than having the Club as the middleman.
jo172
League - Top 5

Postby Burras » Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:35 pm

morell wrote:I tend to agree, but there are plenty of tradesman and what not at those clubs with traditionally lower socio-economic demographics.

I love that Unley is stereotyped as the team full of lawyers! @Jetters.... Thoughts?
Burras

Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 21 times

Postby EB53 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:15 pm

jo172 wrote:

I was loathe to name individual clubs because it in itself is terribly classist and I have no idea of the inner workings of really any club.

I don't understand why the clause stating "non football club employment income" won't be assessed as to whether it is market value (or whatever the specific wording is).

If it were me I would have removed that clause knowing full well that the CFB/League lack the resources and expertise (and arguably legal right) to inspect independent employment agreements for market value. Leave a bit of mystery there with the attempt to scare clubs away from any funny business (given that the Salary Cap's strongest feature is the deterrent effect).

Effectively the insertion of that clause has just legitimized sponsors paying players directly rather than having the Club as the middleman.[/quot]

I don't think that you could ever stop "contra" dealings. My thoughts on attacking the bloated pay ments to players is to have the "marquee " players but limit the number,the team makeup should be "X" amount of players that are indigenous to the club. this would also produce an avenue for juniors to be able to progress through the ranks without the high expectation of exorbitant payments. This is just a thought for possible discussion.
EB53
Under 16s

Been liked: 7 times

Postby heater31 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:45 pm

Burras wrote:

I love that Unley is stereotyped as the team full of lawyers! @Jetters.... Thoughts?

Inner city bogans more like it ;)
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

Postby wonder_kid » Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:02 pm

Getting a bloke a job to play at your club has been around for years and it will always be around employers who are aligned within a club can offer blokes a job surely chris judd did it why cant amature players!
wonder_kid
Under 18s

Has liked: 47 times
Been liked: 46 times

Postby laser » Thu Sep 10, 2015 7:25 pm

heater31 wrote:
Burras wrote:

Pretty sure we got rid of them all in a clean out last year. I'll do a quick check around the club tonight, PAC bound to have left a couple behind!
laser
Under 16s

Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 45 times

Postby jo172 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:00 pm

laser wrote:
heater31 wrote:
Burras wrote:

Pretty sure we got rid of them all in a clean out last year. I'll do a quick check around the club tonight, PAC bound to have left a couple behind!

We have far too many
jo172
League - Top 5

Postby Jimmy_041 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:25 pm

laser wrote:
heater31 wrote:
Burras wrote:

Not sure one of your balcony sponsors would be pleased
Last edited by Jimmy_041 on Fri Sep 11, 2015 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jimmy_041
Coach

Has liked: 718 times
Been liked: 1072 times
Grassroots Team: Prince Alfred OC

Postby Jetters » Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:45 pm

Burras wrote:

Get **** @Burras, you're distracting me from my media law assignment.

I think the manual labour jobs are more valuable. You are likely to entice a new player to a footy club with an apprenticeship/labouring/tradie work, you're not about to go making people firm partners on the basis of club loyalty!

Either way, isn't this exactly what we want clubs doing!? Instead of taking $$ from the clubs, facilities, juniors etc to attract recruits, use other club resources. $$ gets invested back into the club and the player gets probably a more meaningful outcome.
Jetters
Reserves

Has liked: 106 times
Been liked: 119 times

Postby G_Leonard » Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:59 pm

Jetters wrote:
Burras wrote:

I think the manual labour jobs are more valuable. You are likely to entice a new player to a footy club with an apprenticeship/labouring/tradie work, you're not about to go making people firm partners on the basis of club loyalty!

Either way, isn't this exactly what we want clubs doing!? Instead of taking $$ from the clubs, facilities, juniors etc to attract recruits, use other club resources. $$ gets invested back into the club and the player gets probably a more meaningful outcome.

I think all the lawyers are at Kilburn.

While I agree to some extent that manual labor jobs would be offered more often and easier to provide with less qualifications/experience required, I know a lot of uni graduates who would change clubs if they were offered a graduate position. It is quite a competitive graduate market in Adelaide - for graduate lawyers especially ;-)
G_Leonard
Mini-League

Been liked: 1 time
Grassroots Team: Sedan-Cambrai

Postby G_Leonard » Fri Sep 11, 2015 3:01 pm

BigB wrote:Fantastic - you can email me if easier... comms@unleyjets.com.au

Much appreciated.

PS - anyone video the speech????

I think one of his mates from Port District did.

Whopper is quite a humorous lad and well worth a follow on facebook for some of his statuses
G_Leonard
Mini-League

Been liked: 1 time
Grassroots Team: Sedan-Cambrai

Postby Footy Chick » Fri Sep 11, 2015 3:05 pm

G_Leonard wrote:I think all the lawyers are at Kilburn.

Yeah, they'll give a law degree to anyone nowdays ;)
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1738 times
Been liked: 2146 times

Postby morell » Fri Sep 11, 2015 4:15 pm

G_Leonard wrote:
Jetters wrote:
Burras wrote:

I think all the lawyers are at Kilburn.

While I agree to some extent that manual labor jobs would be offered more often and easier to provide with less qualifications/experience required, I know a lot of uni graduates who would change clubs if they were offered a graduate position. It is quite a competitive graduate market in Adelaide - for graduate lawyers especially ;-)
Yeah correct, my "making Partner at a law firm" jibe was hyperbole, but I know of a few Adelaide Uni players that go there because of the connections they can make, and a couple more at other clubs that are there because their boss is a club stalwart.

As you mention, the market is that tight for the traditional white collar jobs in Adelaide. Our Engineering Grad said 7 students (out of hundreds) from his graduating class got a job in Adelaide within 12 months...
morell
Coach

Has liked: 2017 times
Been liked: 1141 times
Grassroots Team: Mitchell Park

Postby The Big Shrek » Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:12 pm

The best lawyer is at Kilburn
The Big Shrek
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 366 times