The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: The never ending No AFL in the SANFL whinge thread

Postby Wedgie » Sat Sep 12, 2015 11:56 am

I went to heaps of Adelaide Oval games last year, haven't been to one this year. Novelty wore off quickly.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2020 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Tech1 » Sat Sep 12, 2015 5:07 pm

therisingblues wrote:Did anyone see the messenger this week?
"sanfl clubs say the success of footy at Adelaide oval has led to a downturn in crowds at their games.
"Figures released exclusively to newscorp Australia show minor round attendances at sanfl matches was down by 13 percent in 2015 and clubs dispute the theory that supporter backlash against the entry of AFL reserves teams was the cause."
"Instead they say the runaway success of footy in the city meant fans who baulked at live afl at West lakes had returned, causing some to desert the sanfl.
"' There's no doubt that success of Adelaide oval has had an effect on sanfl crowds,' WWT chief executive Peter Shwarz said.
"The league average attendance fell from 2819 in 2014 to 2453 this year.
"Crowds were down 6.3 % on 2013.
"SANFL general manager Adam Kelly said the cold winter had an impact and pointed to the fact league wide membership was up.
"' Crowds were) impacted significantly by the cold and wet conditions, ' said Kelly who added crowds were healthy in August. "

So apparently all of you who've quit local footy are sneaking off to Adelaide Oval without telling the rest of us!
Also, Spelly has somehow been accessing figures that were "exclusively released to newscorp Australia ".
And the rain that fell in August was responsible for crowds being down during July, yet somehow didn't affect crowds negatively during the month that it fell as they were "healthy " during that time!
They also seem not to have figures that show CROWDS ARE DOWN AT AFL GAMES AT ADELAIDE OVAL on last year. These figures which for the purposes of this article don't seem to exist would question why crowds have not, correspondingly, returned to the Sanfl.

Just to further disrespect the fans and not at least acknowledge that the afl reserves have played a part in the decrease in crowds says a lot about how out of touch they are with SANFL fans.

I wonder when they will acknowledge it if and when crowds continue to decrease, i guess ignorance is bliss. It will be interesting in the next year or two, if port finally have to field there reserves elsewhere and they have the same structure as the crows, playing games away and or paying to play in the comp.
Tech1
Rookie

Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 27 times

Postby LPH » Sun Sep 13, 2015 5:24 pm

Eric is DEAD... Long Live Eric
Stephen Trigg & Rob Chapman are SA Football Patriots
LPH
League - Best 21

Has liked: 541 times
Been liked: 326 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby daysofourlives » Sun Sep 13, 2015 5:31 pm

LPH wrote:Eric is DEAD... Long Live Eric

What happened?
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2415 times
Been liked: 1657 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby CENTURION » Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:08 pm

daysofourlives wrote:
LPH wrote:Eric is DEAD... Long Live Eric

What happened?

Eric has served his purpose.
Member No. 988 & PROUD to sponsor The CDFC!!
CENTURION
Coach

Has liked: 204 times
Been liked: 112 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury

Postby Pseudo » Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:10 pm

http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/afl/wa ... 7519974663

Meanwhile, Peel Thunder expects to have up to 10 Fremantle players return to its side to take on East Perth in Sunday’s do-or-die first semi-final at Bendigo Bank Stadium.

The Thunder had just three AFL-listed players take to the field in the club’s historic first WAFL finals appearance against the Falcons last weekend.

Thunder coach Cam Shepherd said he expected to welcome back a number of Fremantle players who played in the Dockers loss to Port Adelaide last weekend, as well as captain Brendon Jones and defender Josh Bootsma.

“We had three from Freo last week, I would expect that to rise by 10 or so and we would have Bootsma and Jones back in the side,” Shepherd said.

“We were upbeat and keen for young blokes to have an opportunity.

“Now we are looking forward to playing a strong game against a formidable foe.”

... and they got done anyway, though it was at the hand of the other WAFL garbage team. What an utter mess.
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1553 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Postby cennals05 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:29 pm

I just had a huge argument with Rucci. Think the whole office heard it.
cennals05
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 146 times
Been liked: 248 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:32 pm

Passions are rising.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby cennals05 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:36 pm

Dogwatcher wrote:Passions are rising.

His latest argument is that SANFL supporters had a go at Port over the tarps and the reason that Port supporters weren't going to games was because they were protesting how the club was being run. So SANFL supporters are hypocrites for protesting about the reserves and having a go at Port about the tarps.

He also said the Crows should be in on the same model as the Power and that the Power shouldn't lose their academy side because that's not fair to all the sons of Port greats that are in the team.
cennals05
League Bench Warmer

Postby Dogwatcher » Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:40 pm

cennals05 wrote:

His latest argument is that SANFL supporters had a go at Port over the tarps and the reason that Port supporters weren't going to games was because they were protesting how the club was being run. So SANFL supporters are hypocrites for protesting about the reserves and having a go at Port about the tarps.

He also said the Crows should be in on the same model as the Power and that the Power shouldn't lose their academy side because that's not fair to all the sons of Port greats that are in the team.

There's always a new angle.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby Booney » Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:44 pm

cennals05 wrote:

I would have liked this more than the current / future set up. Give Adelaide half of Port's (previous) zones and make them have a reserves team in the SANFL. Too late for that now.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby Reddeer » Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:49 pm

Booney wrote:
cennals05 wrote:

I would have liked this more than the current / future set up. Give Adelaide half of Port's (previous) zones and make them have a reserves team in the SANFL. Too late for that now.

So you want a complete takeover. Typical port arrogace
Just go some where else. Sooner the better and for the SANFL sake it cant come quick enough
Verschrikkelyk!!
Reddeer
Reserves

Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 83 times

Postby stan » Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:55 pm

cennals05 wrote:

Arguing with Rucci is like arguing with a 2 year old. At the end of the day you'll have solved not nothing and he probably would have thrown himself om the floor.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby stan » Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:57 pm

Reddeer wrote:
Booney wrote:
cennals05 wrote:

So you want a complete takeover. Typical port arrogace
Just go some where else. Sooner the better and for the SANFL sake it cant come quick enough

Well no he said the exisintt zone halved for Adelaide.

Booney maybe alot of things but he isnt an arrogant flog. Just a flog [emoji6]
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby Dols » Mon Sep 14, 2015 12:58 pm

So the apocalypse still hasn't happened!!! Why do you people keep blaming the AFL sides, I think you should clean up your own backyards first. How many of the other 8 teams have improved their membership base? Face the facts that the SANFL is just a breeding pond for the AFL. [emoji457]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dols
Reserves

Has liked: 332 times
Been liked: 51 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby cennals05 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:05 pm

Dols wrote:So the apocalypse still hasn't happened!!! Why do you people keep blaming the AFL sides, I think you should clean up your own backyards first. How many of the other 8 teams have improved their membership base? Face the facts that the SANFL is just a breeding pond for the AFL. [emoji457]

Yeah your membership base certainly turned up to support your team on the weekend didn't they. What exactly would you like us to clean up? Sorry but we don't have the million dollar marketing budget of an AFL side. We can't piggy back on to the sponsors of an AFL side either like your SANFL team can.
cennals05
League Bench Warmer

Postby Booney » Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:16 pm

stan wrote:
Reddeer wrote:So you want a complete takeover. Typical port arrogace

Well no he said the exisintt zone halved for Adelaide.

Booney maybe alot of things but he isnt an arrogant flog. Just a flog [emoji6]

It's ok stan, I'm used to people just shooting from the lip at me being a Port fan. I'd expect most to read before that fire a shot, but that's a dying skill too. ;)
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby Jim05 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:22 pm

Dols wrote:So the apocalypse still hasn't happened!!! Why do you people keep blaming the AFL sides, I think you should clean up your own backyards first. How many of the other 8 teams have improved their membership base? Face the facts that the SANFL is just a breeding pond for the AFL. [emoji457]

the other clubs membership bases will never grow whilst the AFL clubs are in the league. People are turning away in droves because of it, within 5 years sub 1k crowds will be the norm
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3534 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby Dutchy » Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:27 pm

Dols wrote:So the apocalypse still hasn't happened!!! Why do you people keep blaming the AFL sides, I think you should clean up your own backyards first. How many of the other 8 teams have improved their membership base? Face the facts that the SANFL is just a breeding pond for the AFL.

SANFL always has and always will be a breeding ground for the AFL, we don't dispute that fact, but thats just part of the competition, its not the 100% sole purpose that Port and the Crows - and the AFL - would like. It should also be a genuine 2nd tier comp for 2nd tier players, either guys with AFL aspirations, retiring/delisted AFL players or grassroots footballers that want to play the highest level they can. Clubs that the local community can engage with in suburbia and support on an even playing field.

Sadly it is all skewed to the AFL wants...and thats what has pissed off many.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby therisingblues » Mon Sep 14, 2015 1:34 pm

cennals05 wrote:

Perfectly fine for the sons of all the other SANFL greats to be insulted by the league getting turned into a reserves competition.
Who will remember the names of Moriarty, Farmer, Hank, Linder, Bagshaw, Kerley, etc... didn't they all play in a reserves comp? Oh yeah that's right it became a reserves comp after they played in it. Whoopee doo. Whatever you do though, make sure that the Port reserves have a reserve side to honour the sons of former Port greats.
What a crock of shit.
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Has liked: 369 times
Been liked: 514 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL