4%
Rosewater
13%
Woodville South
7%

Total votes : 98

Re: Ch9 AFL Division 5 - 2015

Postby jo172 » Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:52 am

oldman wrote:Why are people so defensive about the amount of money being thrown around? We all know that to be a serious contender in any league you have to spend $$$$ all the best half a dozen at every club are getting paid. It could be incentive based or a simple $$$ per game. I have been around a few clubs in different leagues not just the SAAFL and let's be honest if your not prepared to pay something for your best junior players once they become seniors another club will throw serious money at them.

Im not saying this is wrong but I am saying that spending $100k is fact don't bury your heads in the sand this is what it takes.

And if you can't/haven't convinced them that other things are more important than that you've already lost them. Paying them just postpones it. A very shortsighted view.
jo172
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1205 times
Been liked: 726 times

Postby jo172 » Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:58 am

LaughingKookaburra wrote:And seriously who the hell spends 100k in div 3 let alone div 5. Lets be serious here......

The blind amateur league survey had only two clubs anywhere near it from memory. Best speculation was a rather dogged club from down the Port and some hawkeyed folks up North.
jo172
League - Top 5

Postby Mr Beefy » Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:06 am

jo172 wrote:
LaughingKookaburra wrote:And seriously who the hell spends 100k in div 3 let alone div 5. Lets be serious here......

The blind amateur league survey had only two clubs anywhere near it from memory. Best speculation was a rather dogged club from down the Port and some hawkeyed folks up North.

You can speculate all you like but it aint us. Our football budget, including coaches, players, trainers, umpires, etc is still substantially less than that.
Mr Beefy
Coach

Has liked: 407 times
Been liked: 651 times
Grassroots Team: Rosewater

Postby Footy Chick » Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:07 am

Thats it Jo...push speculation away from your good selves ;)
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1745 times
Been liked: 2154 times

Postby morell » Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:35 am

oldman wrote:Why are people so defensive about the amount of money being thrown around?

Computer Crashed wrote:Who cares what clubs pay.
It is one of the great mysteries. People get unbelievably pissy about it. They all need a psychologist.

The only reason is what Mr McQueen came up with and that clubs don't want to be seen to have "paid for" flags. But if that's the case, who gives a crap if you did and well done if you did raise enough cash for a flag. Just own it FFS.

I challenge some of you, who do know, to just come out with it. scottroo how much did CLG spend on players? Beefster? How much do Rosewater fork out? Just clear the air. Sick to death of people saying "No, we don't pay that much" and then not saying how much you do actually pay.

Why? If anything the opposite should be true, and that if you have a higher budget publicise it and get it out there so more players are aware of whats available.
morell
Coach

Has liked: 2017 times
Been liked: 1143 times
Grassroots Team: Mitchell Park

Postby jo172 » Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:41 am

Footy Chick wrote:Thats it Jo...push speculation away from your good selves ;)

I was the one who responded to the survey. It's not us ;)
jo172
League - Top 5

Postby Mr Beefy » Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:44 am

morell wrote:
oldman wrote:Why are people so defensive about the amount of money being thrown around?

It is one of the great mysteries. People get unbelievably pissy about it. They all need a psychologist.

The only reason is what Mr McQueen came up with and that clubs don't want to be seen to have "paid for" flags. But if that's the case, who gives a crap if you did and well done if you did raise enough cash for a flag. Just own it FFS.

I challenge some of you, who do know, to just come out with it. scottroo how much did CLG spend on players? Beefster? How much do Rosewater fork out? Just clear the air. Sick to death of people saying "No, we don't pay that much" and then not saying how much you do actually pay.

Why? If anything the opposite should be true, and that if you have a higher budget publicise it and get it out there so more players are aware of whats available.

It will cost you a $50 RFC membership and attendance at the AGM to find out.
Mr Beefy
Coach

Postby jo172 » Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:45 am

Mr Beefy wrote:
morell wrote:

You also have to sit through an AGM though. That always sucks.
jo172
League - Top 5

Postby morell » Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:54 am

Mr Beefy wrote:
morell wrote:

Why be defensive? Honest question. Not having a go. Genuinely curious why you think its important to not speak openly about how much you pay players...
morell
Coach

Postby Mr Beefy » Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:56 am

It's not defensive, it's just none of your business.
Mr Beefy
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:56 am

Think clubs get cranky not over the discussion of paying players but more the stupid amounts that get suggested.

100k per season is outrageous.. I know for a fact for instance that Kilburn over there spending splurge in 2011 - 2013 did no spend anywhere near that amount, and I would've thought they'd be one of the higher paying clubs running around - and that was D2 and D3.

Bottom line is though, it's no ones business and if Team A wants and can afford to pay a player twice what another can then so be it.
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3196 times
Been liked: 4054 times

Postby wonder_kid » Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:58 am

ATO maybe morrell and some things don't need to be discussed like finances!
wonder_kid
Under 18s

Has liked: 47 times
Been liked: 46 times

Postby morell » Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:08 am

Mr Beefy wrote:It's not defensive, it's just none of your business.
Wow, that's a sentence which contradicts itself in less than 10 words. Quite difficult to achieve that.
morell
Coach

Postby morell » Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:14 am

Zartan wrote:Think clubs get cranky not over the discussion of paying players but more the stupid amounts that get suggested.
Well then, why not be precise and correct it????

If someone said to me:

"morell, your mother was born in Egypt". I wouldn't come back and say "no, actually, she wasn't born anywhere near there". I would say, "no she was born in Switzerland".

The point of that analogy is, I am not defensive about where my mother is born, I don't mind telling people. So, using a rather astonishing series of logical steps, the only reason why someone wouldn't want to disclose something as banal and impersonal as football budgets is because they're defensive. So, why so defensive?

"none of your business" is not an answer, its just reinforcing the point that your defensive about it.
morell
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:17 am

Maybe clubs are embarrassed about what they spend in case it's massive overs to their competitors in the same division?

Who knows, doesn't bother me, but then again if I was a paid player I wouldn't tell people what I was on - just like I don't share with people what my work salary is.. something's I would rather keep personal.
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3196 times
Been liked: 4054 times

Postby morell » Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:17 am

wonder_kid wrote:ATO maybe morrell and some things don't need to be discussed like finances!

So you're defensive because you think you're breaking the law?

Finally a decent enough reason to be defensive!
morell
Coach

Postby morell » Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:18 am

Zartan wrote:Maybe clubs are embarrassed about what they spend in case it's massive overs to their competitors in the same division?

Who knows, doesn't bother me, but then again if I was a paid player I wouldn't tell people what I was on - just like I don't share with people what my work salary is.. something's I would rather keep personal.
Embarrassment, also a good enough reason. We're getting somewhere.

I guess I don't understand why you would be embarrassed.

**** me if MPFC ever have anywhere near these budgets I'm going to be making it rain like a stripper fan.

Yep, work salary is a good analogy, but I've never had a problem telling people if they want to know because I don't care.

To get all deep and analytical, I think its actually an Australian cultural thing. We don't like talking about money or how well we're going because of the potential backlash from the tall poppy syndrome.
Last edited by morell on Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
morell
Coach

Postby jo172 » Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:19 am

morell wrote:
Zartan wrote:Think clubs get cranky not over the discussion of paying players but more the stupid amounts that get suggested.
Well then, why not be precise and correct it????

If someone said to me:

"morell, your mother was born in Egypt". I wouldn't come back and say "no, actually, she wasn't born anywhere near there". I would say, "no she was born in Switzerland".

The point of that analogy is, I am not defensive about where my mother is born, I don't mind telling people. So, using a rather astonishing series of logical steps, the only reason why someone wouldn't want to disclose something as banal and impersonal as football budgets is because they're defensive. So, why so defensive?

"none of your business" is not an answer, its just reinforcing the point that your defensive about it.

There are commercial reasons.

My employers don't let us know what their total budget is for staff salary. We're also (like most people) contractually prohibited from discussing pay with other employees/anyone aside from accountants/financial advisors. This is pretty standard across all industries.

Keeping this information as sensitive as possible is very bloody prudent to protect your commercial position.

Additionally, if you come out here and say you spent $100k on players i dare say you may find the salary cap gestapo breathing down your neck a bit tighter next year!
jo172
League - Top 5

Postby Mr Beefy » Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:21 am

morell wrote:
Mr Beefy wrote:It's not defensive, it's just none of your business.
Wow, that's a sentence which contradicts itself in less than 10 words. Quite difficult to achieve that.

I'm quite the wordsmith. Buy a membership, sit through an AGM and you can ask all the questions you like.
Mr Beefy
Coach

Postby twobob » Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:25 am

call me a sceptic but i can't help wonder if this conversation is brought about because some recruiters who are looking to find out who is getting paid what in an attempt to recruit them for their own club
twobob
Rookie

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times
Grassroots Team: Wudinna United

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League