Adelaide Plains Football League

Talk on any country footy league or club from the SA Country area

Re: Adelaide Plains Football League

Postby cracka » Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:35 pm

magpieeagle wrote:
OnSong wrote:I'm more so thinking of the administrative stuff, if you're involved in volunteering for a club, you're stuffed by the end of the season.

The season length is fine as it is. You get no real benefit out of playing an extra two minor round games.

Exactly onsong, easy said to arrange a season by people that drive in at 230 for 245 and drive out at 5, try helping your club two trainings a week from 5-830ish and then a Saturday from 8-6 week in/week out, easy to say don't do it but then you don't have a game to watch without Volunteers helping a club.

We did a list of jobs required to run a club & it's something like 170 things to do for a home game & 100 for an away game.
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 458 times
Been liked: 560 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby Mythical Creature » Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:43 pm

What is the chances of the Board (who have been appointed as the working party) accepting Angle Vale into the league and then the clubs overturning that decision at the AGM? If Angle Vale are preliminary accepted by the board (which I think they will be) and a club moves a motion to overturn this decision I think the resulting vote could be line ball. Interesting times.
If you don't like it, change it. If you don't want to change it, it can't be that bad!
Mythical Creature
Veteran

Has liked: 189 times
Been liked: 237 times
Grassroots Team: United

Postby norm11 » Fri Sep 25, 2015 4:48 pm

Mythical Creature wrote:What is the chances of the Board (who have been appointed as the working party) accepting Angle Vale into the league and then the clubs overturning that decision at the AGM? If Angle Vale are preliminary accepted by the board (which I think they will be) and a club moves a motion to overturn this decision I think the resulting vote could be line ball. Interesting times.

Is the general feel that the clubs don't want us ???
Back to the creek it is.
norm11
League - Top 5

Has liked: 470 times
Been liked: 53 times

Postby Lame Choice » Fri Sep 25, 2015 4:49 pm

Mythical Creature wrote:What is the chances of the Board (who have been appointed as the working party) accepting Angle Vale into the league and then the clubs overturning that decision at the AGM? If Angle Vale are preliminary accepted by the board (which I think they will be) and a club moves a motion to overturn this decision I think the resulting vote could be line ball. Interesting times.

Unless things have changed on club transfers, the board would make the decision, not the clubs. All things being equal, I would think the Investigation Committee may seek clubs input prior to the recommendation to the board.
If what you say is correct, and the "working party" is the same people as the board, then - well - that isn't really the way that things should happen.

The final decision could be as late as Jan 2016, well past the AGM.
"As long as I live, I will deny taking performance enhancing drugs" Lance Armstrong 2010
Lame Choice
Under 16s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 30 times

Postby Mythical Creature » Fri Sep 25, 2015 4:57 pm

Lame Choice wrote:

Unless things have changed on club transfers, the board would make the decision, not the clubs. All things being equal, I would think the Investigation Committee may seek clubs input prior to the recommendation to the board.
If what you say is correct, and the "working party" is the same people as the board, then - well - that isn't really the way that things should happen.

The clubs can still over rule any decision. If a clubs are strongly against AV I doubt any of them would be brave enough to put a motion up to change the decision (which I feel is inevitable), however if one does move it I get the feeling it could be a close vote.
Last edited by Mythical Creature on Fri Sep 25, 2015 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you don't like it, change it. If you don't want to change it, it can't be that bad!
Mythical Creature
Veteran

Postby Mythical Creature » Fri Sep 25, 2015 5:02 pm

norm11 wrote:

One advantage to AV coming in, provided that you stay there norm is there should be no excuses for you not to deliver that carton of beer that you still owe me from about 5 years ago. :D
Mythical Creature
Veteran

Postby Lame Choice » Fri Sep 25, 2015 5:02 pm

Mythical Creature wrote:
Lame Choice wrote:

The clubs can still over rule any decision. If a clubs are strongly against AV I doubt any of them would be brave enough to put a motion up to change the decision (which I feel is inevitable), however one does move it I get the feeling it could be a close vote.

I beg to differ.
"As long as I live, I will deny taking performance enhancing drugs" Lance Armstrong 2010
Lame Choice
Under 16s

Postby Ace of Spades » Fri Sep 25, 2015 11:27 pm

I was of the opinion MC was right there, unless I've misread the constitution the delegates can over turn a board decision at the following meeting?

Meanwhile, I'd be thinking Angle Vale would be quite strong in the seniors in the not too distant future with potentially 100s of zero point players who have played 20 games of juniors for them..?
Ace of Spades
Reserves

Has liked: 3 times
Grassroots Team: Hummocks-Watchman

Postby Swamp Donkey » Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:54 am

Mallala FC Best & Fairest count was held last Friday night.

Joel Montgomerie (243 votes) won his 6th B&F which sees him join club legends John Griffiths and Greg Tucker as the only players to have won the award a record six times. Unbelievable effort given the 105 year history of the club and the consistent stream of quality of players to have represented the club over this period.
R/up B&F was Nigel Osborn - 240 votes
3rd Wilbur Farrelly - 230 votes - won the Players' MVP award.
4th Jordan Clements - 181 votes
5th Brad Hardie - 170 votes

Club legend Tim Cawrse was awarded Life Membership.
Swamp Donkey
League - Top 5

Has liked: 112 times
Been liked: 129 times
Grassroots Team: Wunkar

Postby Lame Choice » Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:42 pm

Ace of Spades wrote:I was of the opinion MC was right there, unless I've misread the constitution the delegates can over turn a board decision at the following meeting?

Meanwhile, I'd be thinking Angle Vale would be quite strong in the seniors in the not too distant future with potentially 100s of zero point players who have played 20 games of juniors for them..?

I stand corrected on the constitution ruling:
The delegates of the League as convened at any general meeting of the League shall
have the overall management of the League and its business property and affairs,
although the day to day running of the League shall be carried out by the Board of
Directors. In any event the delegates of the League at a general meeting shall promote
the objects and interests of the League and shall take all steps necessary and proper to
ensure due compliance with the By - Laws and shall have the authority to rescind, vary
or alter any decision made by the Board of Directors provided that a majority of the
delegates present vote to that effect.
A motion to rescind or vary a resolution which has been carried by the League at a
general meeting may be carried provided that the motion sought to rescind or vary has
been notified in writing to the League Secretary and each Club Secretary at least twenty
one (21) days prior to the general meeting at which it is brought and shall not be carried
unless a majority of the delegates vote in the affirmative.
Lame Choice
Under 16s

Postby Mythical Creature » Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:18 pm

We had our annual Heath Pym awards on Friday night,

Heath was generous enough to let Adrian Mills win the Runner up trophy.

7 in a row for the second best Pym to play the game. 5 more needed to beat his old man (Shagga didn't win them all in a row though).
Mythical Creature
Veteran

Postby Swamp Donkey » Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:38 pm

norm11 wrote:

I'm still waiting for a justification why the league should want AV to join. The arguement shouldn't be about whether the league needs another team, it should be about why AV are that club. Is there any evidence to suggest that AV will be able to sustain success and participation in all grades of both football and netball over a long period norm11? I'm not being negative, but I don't think anyone wants them in the league if they can't achieve this.
Swamp Donkey
League - Top 5

Postby daysofourlives » Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:17 pm

Swamp Donkey wrote:
norm11 wrote:

I'm still waiting for a justification why the league should want AV to join. The arguement shouldn't be about whether the league needs another team, it should be about why AV are that club. Is there any evidence to suggest that AV will be able to sustain success and participation in all grades of both football and netball over a long period norm11? I'm not being negative, but I don't think anyone wants them in the league if they can't achieve this.

Wouldnt it be the other way? AV will get very strong very quickly i would imagine. 5 of your clubs definitely are not going to be growing in size in the forseeable future. Id be more worried they may only come in for 5-10 years, get too strong and move onto greener pastures
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2415 times
Been liked: 1657 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby Swamp Donkey » Mon Sep 28, 2015 3:49 pm

daysofourlives wrote:
Swamp Donkey wrote:
norm11 wrote:

Wouldnt it be the other way? AV will get very strong very quickly i would imagine. 5 of your clubs definitely are not going to be growing in size in the forseeable future. Id be more worried they may only come in for 5-10 years, get too strong and move onto greener pastures

Maybe, but can they do it next year? If not, why not wait til they can. They're not going to go anywhere else.
Swamp Donkey
League - Top 5

Postby hotspur » Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:14 pm

It seems there's a lot of naysayers still in the league, despite the fact that some clubs are in an unhealthy situation (This seems to be a general thread on this forum). Change can be a positive step, and it may take a few years to be successful - look at where it's happened in other leagues, Barossa, North Eastern, southern - so why would those stuck in the past deny it will happen? One day YOU may have to look elsewhere. And why deny a club like A/V the chance to better themselves and the families involved by playing in a well run country league?
Surely those who run the league have investigated thoroughly and see it as a good thing...or don't the clubs trust them?
hotspur
Under 16s

Been liked: 7 times
Grassroots Team: Port District

Postby OnSong » Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:25 pm

hotspur wrote:It seems there's a lot of naysayers still in the league, despite the fact that some clubs are in an unhealthy situation (This seems to be a general thread on this forum). Change can be a positive step, and it may take a few years to be successful - look at where it's happened in other leagues, Barossa, North Eastern, southern - so why would those stuck in the past deny it will happen? One day YOU may have to look elsewhere. And why deny a club like A/V the chance to better themselves and the families involved by playing in a well run country league?
Surely those who run the league have investigated thoroughly and see it as a good thing...or don't the clubs trust them?

Maybe the Barossa can take them in then? It would make them some sort of super strong league. Possibly invincible, second only to the AFL.
Right in front of me. RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME!
OnSong
Coach

Has liked: 524 times
Been liked: 543 times

Postby hotspur » Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:29 pm

Exactly the attitude I was alluding to. Thanks.
hotspur
Under 16s

Postby OnSong » Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:39 pm

hotspur wrote:Exactly the attitude I was alluding to. Thanks.

Well, you come in peddling your ignorance when you actually know very little about the situation, you can not expect anyone to take you seriously.
It's not about being scared of change. If it was another country club with its netball already in tow looking to join, I strongly doubt you would find much opposition at all. The fact there is a LOT of uncertainty about that happening, especially from the netball point of view, is a major barrier.

There are several other reasons too but it's rather apparent you'd take them into the BLG no questions asked, so I'll leave it there.
OnSong
Coach

Postby OnSong » Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:42 pm

For the record, it's admirable AVFC is trying to go this way, to get that country club culture going. But the whole thing feels rushed and a lot more detail needs to be sorted out before clubs would be comfortable with this concept, and rightly so.
OnSong
Coach

Postby hotspur » Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:58 pm

Perhaps now you've answered the question with some credibility I can see your point. Not talking from a Barossa perspective either or peddling ignorance. You're just as ignorant there as you say I am. I just want to know why there's so much opposition; I can see there's opposition to anything outside your league.
I'm not looking down or taking piss - I'm interested in the process.
Got the wrong person to answer I suppose.
hotspur
Under 16s

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Country Footy