GRAND FINAL- WEST COAST V HAWTHORN

Talk on the national game

Re: GRAND FINAL- WEST COAST V HAWTHORN

Postby Jim05 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:47 am

FlyingHigh wrote:Would like to see what it would be like if Melbourne had their test when we do and vice versa. Apart from the first day, not sure there would be too much difference, especially given the comparative populations.

Anyway, GF should always be at MCG, but teams need at least 3 games during the year. If you've finished in the top 6 or 8, you deserve to play at the MCG against those teams rather than going to Tassie, eg Freo v HW this year,
Maybe Hawthorn should be recognised for their foresight to stay at the MCG rather than go to Cocklands like other teams?

Agree with everyone getting 3 games minimum at the MCG
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3552 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby woodublieve12 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 12:11 pm

therisingblues wrote:Boxing day test? Now how's that relevant?
Think the Australia Day test situation would be a much closer comparison, right?

Very relevant. It would be ridiculous to move it.

Adelaide oval - to small
Scg - to small
Anz - junk
Gabba - Queensland
Subiaco - junk stadium.

Mcg looks a treat!
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3025 times
Been liked: 2401 times

Postby therisingblues » Sun Oct 04, 2015 12:19 pm

woodublieve12 wrote:
therisingblues wrote:Boxing day test? Now how's that relevant?
Think the Australia Day test situation would be a much closer comparison, right?

Very relevant. It would be ridiculous to move it.

Adelaide oval - to small
Scg - to small
Anz - junk
Gabba - Queensland
Subiaco - junk stadium.

Mcg looks a treat!

Yes it would be very ridiculous to move it.
Again, relevance? The moving of the Adelaide oval Australia day test is a much closer parallel.
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Has liked: 369 times
Been liked: 514 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby carey » Sun Oct 04, 2015 2:26 pm

jackpot jim wrote:
bennymacca wrote:Congrats to the Hawks. Cant say they didnt deserve it after travelling to perth twice

Oh the poor things !

W. Coast Travel East a dozen times for the season!

Hawthorn DONT DESERVE a HOME Grand Final but thats just the benefit the Victorian teams get regardless of whether they deserve it or not !

The AFL is all about making money and Maximizing the value of their product, couldn't give a rats about fairness.

I'm all for the GF being and always staying at the home of footy. The G
you've gota keep on keep'n on .........
carey
Coach

Has liked: 2809 times
Been liked: 2997 times
Grassroots Team: Paralowie

Postby Ruben Carter » Sun Oct 04, 2015 4:57 pm

carey wrote:
jackpot jim wrote:
bennymacca wrote:Congrats to the Hawks. Cant say they didnt deserve it after travelling to perth twice

Oh the poor things !

W. Coast Travel East a dozen times for the season!

Hawthorn DONT DESERVE a HOME Grand Final but thats just the benefit the Victorian teams get regardless of whether they deserve it or not !

The AFL is all about making money and Maximizing the value of their product, couldn't give a rats about fairness.

I'm all for the GF being and always staying at the home of footy. The G

Spot on. All the non Vic clubs signed up knowing the GF would always be at the MCG - why is this even an issue?
If you don’t like my words, don’t listen. If you don’t like my appearance, don’t look. If you don’t like my actions, turn your head; It’s as simple as that.
Ruben Carter
Reserves

Has liked: 121 times
Been liked: 75 times
Grassroots Team: Westminster OS

Postby GWW » Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:48 pm

It's an issue because some clubs play a lot of games at the venue each year, whilst the shonky fixturing means some clubs are lucky to get 1.
GWW

Has liked: 816 times
Been liked: 166 times

Postby Wedgie » Sun Oct 04, 2015 6:04 pm

therisingblues wrote:
woodublieve12 wrote:He grand final doesn't belong anywhere else!!! Mcg is perfect!

Doesn't Sydney have a 100,000 capacity stadium these days?

No
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2049 times
Been liked: 3891 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby daysofourlives » Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:09 pm

I guess its time to start talking four in a row, who would be favourite to have the honour of playing this great club on the last Saturday in September next year.
I reckon in keeping with the Hawks vs interstate team theme of the last 4 years it will be Port or GWS.
Could it be that Port just pop up whenever someone is going for 4 in a row? They won't win too many flags if thats the only time they win them ;)

I would love to see Dangerfield guide Geelong to the big dance again, its been 7 years, would be no better team to beat to become the greatest team of all.

Spare a thought for Lance, his issues wouldnt have been helped with yesterdays result. At least his pockets are lined even if there is only 2 medals around his neck.
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2423 times
Been liked: 1660 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby Fluffbag » Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:34 pm

I know I not meant to say this as a crows supporter but it would be good if Port plays Hawthorn in next year final as I think it would be a memorable final as the power is one team that can match it with the Hawks and it could history repeating itself as port stopped lions from 4 wins in a row.

Didn't watch much of Saturday game as went out Friday night so was force to have a nanna nap in the afternoon but didn't seem like I missed much.
Fluffbag
Under 16s

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 48 times
Grassroots Team: Modbury

Postby woodublieve12 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:26 pm

daysofourlives wrote:I guess its time to start talking four in a row, who would be favourite to have the honour of playing this great club on the last Saturday in September next year.
I reckon in keeping with the Hawks vs interstate team theme of the last 4 years it will be Port or GWS.
Could it be that Port just pop up whenever someone is going for 4 in a row? They won't win too many flags if thats the only time they win them ;)

I would love to see Dangerfield guide Geelong to the big dance again, its been 7 years, would be no better team to beat to become the greatest team of all.

Spare a thought for Lance, his issues wouldnt have been helped with yesterdays result. At least his pockets are lined even if there is only 2 medals around his neck.

Didn't you guys win 4 in a row? Oh.
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Postby therisingblues » Sun Oct 04, 2015 11:25 pm

daysofourlives wrote:I guess its time to start talking four in a row, who would be favourite to have the honour of playing this great club on the last Saturday in September next year.
I reckon in keeping with the Hawks vs interstate team theme of the last 4 years it will be Port or GWS.Could it be that Port just pop up whenever someone is going for 4 in a row? They won't win too many flags if thats the only time they win them ;)

It must be hard having a home grand final against a team that travels from interstate each year.
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Postby woodublieve12 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:13 am

Waa waa waa.
woodublieve12
Coach

Postby daysofourlives » Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:41 am

therisingblues wrote:
I reckon in keeping with the Hawks vs interstate team theme of the last 4 years it will be Port or GWS.Could it be that Port just pop up whenever someone is going for 4 in a row? They won't win too many flags if thats the only time they win them ;)

It must be hard having a home grand final against a team that travels from interstate each year.

Hawks cant control the other shit Victorian clubs that cant get there
Dont forget travelling to Perth twice in 2 weeks just to get there.
I thought West Coast were well rested, we wouldnt handle the heat, too old, too slow, too tall, but apparently that matters little when you're just too bloody good.
Keep up the sooking, its gold
daysofourlives
Coach

GRAND FINAL- WEST COAST V HAWTHORN

Postby Jim05 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:43 am

If Freo can get McCarthy and perhaps a Bennell or similar I think they will be next to step up to the plate.
Will take a willingness for Lyon to adapt though
Jim05
Coach

Postby daysofourlives » Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:49 am

Jim05 wrote:

If Freo can get McCarthy and perhaps a Bennell or similar I think they will be next to step up to the plate.
Will take a willingness for Lyon to adapt though

Dont think they will get McCarthy, not without giving up something significant.
daysofourlives
Coach

Postby therisingblues » Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:05 pm

Travelled to Perth twice, and got thumped there once, by the team that you finally beat on your home turf in front of your home crowd.
I think you've misunderstood me. I'm asking a genuine question here. My apologies if these questions upset you, but can you honestly say there was no advantage in playing the grand final on your home ground as opposed to Perth?
therisingblues
Coach

Postby Dog_ger2 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:43 pm

"4 in a row is unheard of in a 18 team comp".

Just maybe in "2016" we all will see something special.

Everyone will be out to beat you next year, same as this year really.

Goodluck guys. =D>
Dog_ger2
Under 16s

Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 17 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury North

Postby carey » Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:51 pm

therisingblues wrote:Travelled to Perth twice, and got thumped there once, by the team that you finally beat on your home turf in front of your home crowd.
I think you've misunderstood me. I'm asking a genuine question here. My apologies if these questions upset you, but can you honestly say there was no advantage in playing the grand final on your home ground as opposed to Perth?

Of course the Hawks would rather play at the G instead of Subi but It's the way it is. The GF is and IMO should always be at the G

Do we hear the Broncos or Cowboys pissing and moaning about 2 Qld teams playing a GF in NSW? No we don't because it is what it is.

For me the day the GF leaves The G it will lose significance. Right or wrong that's only my opinion.
you've gota keep on keep'n on .........
carey
Coach

Has liked: 2809 times
Been liked: 2997 times
Grassroots Team: Paralowie

Postby Dog_ger2 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:58 pm

Top team should host the big day.

That should be their reward.

If they go out in 2,

The next best.

But if they lose 1, That's their reward for being top.

I think if a non Victorian team finishes top, their needs to be a better reward.
Dog_ger2
Under 16s

Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 17 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury North

Postby Jim05 » Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:05 pm

Dog_ger2 wrote:Top team should host the big day.

That should be their reward.

If they go out in 2,

The next best.

But if they lose 1, That's their reward for being top.

I think if a non Victorian team finishes top, their needs to be a better reward.

So the fans miss out?
Was only 60,000 tickets available to competing clubs at a 100k stadium.
If it was played in Perth, probably only 25-30,000 supporters would get to go.
Not to mention the money lost on ticket sales which goes towards propping up half the sides in the comp.
The MCG is the home of football and should always host the GF
Jim05
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL