End of season movements. FA, trades, bullshit etc.

Talk on the national game

Re: End of season movements. FA, trades, bullshit etc.

Postby Q. » Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:59 am

If Aish had nominated anyone but Collingwood, Brisbane would be working out a trade right now.
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby MW » Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:01 am

Q. wrote:If Aish had nominated anyone but Collingwood, Brisbane would be working out a trade right now.

Why is that? Considering what Collingwood did for Brisbane with Beams I would of thought the opposite.
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2581 times
Been liked: 1822 times

Postby JK » Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:11 am

MW wrote:He was never staying at Brisbane the minute he was drafted

Yet Brisbane drafted him anyway, so who's the fool there?
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4440 times
Been liked: 2985 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby MW » Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:16 am

So clubs are not supposed to draft the best talent available just cause they are not in the state the player wants to be in or club the player wants to go too? I say again, why bother having a draft?
MW
Coach

Postby HH3 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:18 am

MW wrote:He was never staying at Brisbane the minute he was drafted and never gave the club a go. Created constant speculation about his future there this year instead of knuckling down and having a red hot crack. If you cannot command a spot in Brisbanes 22 he clearly has the sooks up.

I'm not just singling Aish out, but any player who does this.

They know what they are getting themselves in for going into the draft. If what you are all saying is true, why have a draft at all?

I understand he was within his rights to not sign a contract, but tell them that at the start of the year and play it out in the QAFL so everyone knows where they stand.

So he made it clear he didn't want to be there, but he should have made it clear he didn't want to be there?
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2432 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby MW » Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:20 am

Big difference between sulking around and not putting in to answering a direct question about wanting to stay at a club.
MW
Coach

Postby Spangas » Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:22 am

Seems it's not enough to play footy for a club who wants you. Most young players now need to have everything served up to them on a platter.
I apologise.
Spangas
Under 16s

Has liked: 118 times
Been liked: 103 times

Postby HH3 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:24 am

MW wrote:Big difference between sulking around and not putting in to answering a direct question about wanting to stay at a club.

How do you know he didn't tell them at the start of the season?

Their response would have been "tough" anyway.
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2432 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby JK » Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:26 am

MW wrote:So clubs are not supposed to draft the best talent available just cause they are not in the state the player wants to be in or club the player wants to go too? I say again, why bother having a draft?

They can select whoever they want, but don't go sulking when the player serves his time then wants to leave. How many Crows fans (for example) still whinging about Gunston. Every club faces the same threat, and it's up to every club to become an attractive enough destination for both draftee's and recruits alike.

This Brisbane thats standing tall and refusing to take anything for Aish, instead preferring to get nothing for him, is the same Brisbane requesting priority picks - WTF??
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby heater31 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:27 am

Think both parties are at fault here. Aish for acting like a spoilt private school boy and Brisbane for an epic fail for their recruiting process. Why waste a draft pick on someone that indicates they are probably not receptive to the club's values? With multiple players over consecutive seasons wanting out how about taking a look in the mirror and see why they don't want to be at your club.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby Q. » Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:27 am

MW wrote:
Q. wrote:If Aish had nominated anyone but Collingwood, Brisbane would be working out a trade right now.

Why is that? Considering what Collingwood did for Brisbane with Beams I would of thought the opposite.

Because Matthews is a stubborn old man and they could have traded him to us last year in Beams deal when they played hardball. Now those 'untouchables' are all walking out the door anyway.
Q.
Coach

Postby Spangas » Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:37 am

They should have never fired Voss.
I apologise.
Spangas
Under 16s

Has liked: 118 times
Been liked: 103 times

Postby Spargo » Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:45 am

Spangas wrote:Seems it's not enough to play footy for a club who wants you. Most young players now need to have everything served up to them on a platter.

No, not everything - but a coach who's approachable is a start.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ

Don’t lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive...
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5460 times
Been liked: 5089 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Booney » Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:52 am

Spargo wrote:
Spangas wrote:Seems it's not enough to play footy for a club who wants you. Most young players now need to have everything served up to them on a platter.

No, not everything - but a coach who's approachable is a start.

If every player who didn't see eye to eye with a coach just walked out when he wanted we'd need a 12 week trade period.

Although he's a talent, I'd not be chasing him to hard.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7468 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby JK » Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:54 am

heater31 wrote: Aish for acting like a spoilt private school boy

Yep, it's his schooling lol. Plenty of players calling the shots on where they do and don't want to play. Most older footy fans, myself included, don't like it, but the system allows for it. That's where the issue lies.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby JK » Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:55 am

Booney wrote:Although he's a talent, I'd not be chasing him to hard.

Nor would (pardon the pun) I .. Should be a "good" long term player, but I don't think he's ever going to become a match winner.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby Q. » Fri Oct 09, 2015 11:53 am

JK wrote:
Booney wrote:Although he's a talent, I'd not be chasing him to hard.

Nor would (pardon the pun) I .. Should be a "good" long term player, but I don't think he's ever going to become a match winner.

Reminds me of Scully
Q.
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:05 pm

MW wrote:He was never staying at Brisbane the minute he was drafted and never gave the club a go. Created constant speculation about his future there this year instead of knuckling down and having a red hot crack. If you cannot command a spot in Brisbanes 22 he clearly has the sooks up.

I'm not just singling Aish out, but any player who does this.

They know what they are getting themselves in for going into the draft. If what you are all saying is true, why have a draft at all?

I understand he was within his rights to not sign a contract, but tell them that at the start of the year and play it out in the QAFL so everyone knows where they stand.

Never gave the club a go?
Was third or fourth in the rising star his first season there and played pretty well. He obviously has some issues with the coach and wants to move on
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1125 times
Been liked: 3536 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

End of season movements. FA, trades, bullshit etc.

Postby Sharksta » Fri Oct 09, 2015 12:56 pm

Brisbane is the only club in the non traditional AFL states with no retention allowance of any type. It has the worst facilities in the league & has been lobbying for govt support to assist in changing that to little or no avail. In contrast there is already $100m on offer towards facilities in Townsville for the Cowboys. AFL news here makes it to about page 7 of the sports pages & is well down the order on TV news.

The club has put a big push into junior development through its academy program to generate a local talent pool. The first time one of the academies produced a top line talent in Heeney for Sydney, Eddie jumped up & down about unfair advantages & the system was watered down & negating some of the benefits of local development.

I'm not a Brisbane supporter but living here & following the AFL you can't help but see the challenges.

I'm sure it's not hard to lure a player away from Brisbane with the promise of all the on & off field advantages that come with being in the AFL heartlands.

At this point Brisbane is little more than a breeding ground where clubs believe they can pluck former first round draft picks who are now 20, have 2 years in the system & have already had on field exposure, for second round picks.

Collingwood for example couldn't take both sharenburg & Aish in the first round but little to stop then saying to Aish go do what you have to for 2 years & you we'll pick you up then.

As for not picking up a kid who didn't want to come. From memory he stated he was very open to the move. Not much you can do if the players aren't telling the club the truth.
Sharksta
Rookie

Has liked: 477 times
Been liked: 58 times

Postby Q. » Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:03 pm

It's pretty obvious to most that the current player retention issues at Brisbane stem from the Leppa/Lethal/Rockliff regime.
Q.
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL