Restaurant & Pub Reviews

Anything!

Re: Restaurant & Pub Reviews

Postby JK » Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:05 pm

Dinner at Sportivo Cafe last night.

One of my favourite joints, because there's so many options on the menu I like.

Started with Garlic bread (or Garlic Pizza) which was OK, probably a 6/10.

Had the Risotto Marinara which is one of my favourite dishes - This time it was still good, but not as good as I've had previously. A solid 7/10 though.

The Missus ordered off the special board a Porterhouse with Dianne and roast spuds - She smashed it and the little piece I tried was top notch.

Kids had one of their wood oven pizzas and that was beautiful too.

Must have caught them on a bad day, because their service is usually excellent, but given the place really wasn't that busy, the meal times were approaching ridiculous and it appeared as though all tables were experiencing the same.

6.5/10 .. They can do much better, but the fact we weren't paying for it probably helped the rating a little too
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4458 times
Been liked: 2986 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Spargo » Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:54 pm

Kefi - Greek cuisine, Tapleys Hill Rd, Glenelg Nth
Never ever disappoints

Tried booking earlier in the week for last night, full house sorry. Had my details in case of a cancellation. Got the golden phone call yesterday as I was making lunch. I never ate it in preparation for the evenings feed.

Entrees are not required & are a trap for first timers.
I had the Chargrilled Octopus - copious amount, cooked perfectly in an olive oil salsa - $40
Mrs Spargo had the Mixed Souvlaki, 2 x shaslicks probably 30cm long of chicken & lamb easily weighing 150gm each - $37
Kids had a mountain of lightly fried calamari - $27 and also some oven baked filo cheese triangles - $17
The old man also had the Mixed Souvlaki
Mum had the Seafood plate of Whiting, Garfish, Calamari & Prawns. It came out presented on a plate with the food almost 30cm high - $38
ALL meals come with a stack of pita bread, wonderfully cooked potatoes, dips & a large bowl of Greek salad which those at the table who like salad, said was exceptional.
Dad & I had 3 Boags Premium each @ $7.50
My wife had a glass of Adelaide Hills Rose @ $7 and Mum had a glass of SA Sauv Blanc @ $8
Kids bottle soft drink was $4
Corkage on the bottle of red we took was a reasonable $15

No one walks out of this joint hungry, over half the diners take a doggy bag home which the establishment is more than happy to provide.
Whilst quantity cannot be questioned, neither can the quality of food. There are 2 sittings, 6pm & 8pm, it's loud & you're cramped in - but not uncomfortably. Book a month in advance.

9.9/10
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5476 times
Been liked: 5118 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Alaska » Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:29 am

I am taking some people down to McLaren Vale on a Monday in a few weeks. Where can I get a good lunch down there now? Any recent intel would be appreciated.
2017 and 2018 NFL Fantasy Champion
Alaska
League - Best 21

Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 64 times

Postby JK » Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:03 pm

Spargo wrote:Kefi - Greek cuisine, Tapleys Hill Rd, Glenelg Nth
Never ever disappoints

Tried booking earlier in the week for last night, full house sorry. Had my details in case of a cancellation. Got the golden phone call yesterday as I was making lunch. I never ate it in preparation for the evenings feed.

I had the Chargrilled Octopus - copious amount, cooked perfectly in an olive oil salsa - $40
Mrs Spargo had the Mixed Souvlaki, 2 x shaslicks probably 30cm long of chicken & lamb easily weighing 150gm each - $37
Kids had a mountain of lightly fried calamari - $27 and also some oven baked filo cheese triangles - $17
Mum had the Seafood plate of Whiting, Garfish, Calamari & Prawns. It came out presented on a plate with the food almost 30cm high - $38
ALL meals come with a stack of pita bread, wonderfully cooked potatoes, dips & a large bowl of Greek salad which those at the table who like salad, said was exceptional.
My wife had a glass of Adelaide Hills Rose @ $7 and Mum had a glass of SA Sauv Blanc @ $8

No one walks out of this joint hungry, over half the diners take a doggy bag home which the establishment is more than happy to provide.
Whilst quantity cannot be questioned, neither can the quality of food. There are 2 sittings, 6pm & 8pm, it's loud & you're cramped in - but not uncomfortably. Book a month in advance.

9.9/10

Ive been hanging to try this place for years, having never heard a bad word about it (apparently there's another excellent Greek joint around Brompton way too).

Don't suppose Kefi's does take away?
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby Spargo » Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:47 pm

JK wrote:
Never ever disappoints

9.9/10

Ive been hanging to try this place for years, having never heard a bad word about it (apparently there's another excellent Greek joint around Brompton way too).

Yep, they do. Same size & price as dining in.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5476 times
Been liked: 5118 times

Postby PatowalongaPirate » Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:15 pm

Alaska wrote:I am taking some people down to McLaren Vale on a Monday in a few weeks. Where can I get a good lunch down there now? Any recent intel would be appreciated.

Salopian Inn, d'Arry's, Serafino are all good starts.
safooty Melbourne Cup Day Tipping Champion 2018 & 2019 #Back2Back
2018 safooty NFL Tipping Champion
PatowalongaPirate
2022 SA Footy Punter of the Year

Has liked: 447 times
Been liked: 1210 times

Postby JK » Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:30 pm

Spargo wrote:
JK wrote:
Never ever disappoints

9.9/10

Yep, they do. Same size & price as dining in.

Bewdiful .. Will get onto that!!
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby Feenix » Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:26 pm

JK wrote:
Never ever disappoints

9.9/10

Estia @ Henley Beach is pretty good but Kefi is defnitely the best
Feenix
Reserves

Has liked: 68 times
Been liked: 66 times

Postby Pag » Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:30 pm

Had a top parmi at the Rooftop on Rundle Bar, Kent Town Hotel. 400gm thing. Everything else others ordered looked quality as well. $21 I think. Will be back, been taken over and renovated by the Bombay owners.
Pag
Coach

Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 499 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:21 pm

Mick O'Sheas

Banned
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11839 times
Been liked: 3597 times

Postby bennymacca » Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:55 pm

Went to Jamie's Italian last night.

Friend booked in and it took like 3 months to get in for a group of 9. So no surprise when we rock at 8 and it is still PACKED.

For entree they had some different types of Breads for $2.50, which was great.

Mains were reasonably priced ~$25 for a main and I had the Beef Raghu which was very nice - not the best I have had, but still very nice.

Shared a Dessert - an "epic" Brownie, which was possibly the most chocolatey thing I have had - no way I could have had one by myself, but sharing one for $11 was great.

They dont split bills, but I reckon i chucked in $100 for two of us including drinks, which I am happy with.

Overall I would recommend - not fine dining, but good food at decent prices - assuming you can actually get a table any time soon
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby JK » Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:40 am

Timely review BM, we are off there this afternoon. Missus has been hanging out to try it, so hopefully she's in a good mood afterward \:D/
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby JK » Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:41 pm

Well Jamie Olivers place didn't really live up to the expectations, although it wasn't terrible by any means.

2 adults and 2 kids, and thankfully a $150 voucher up our sleeves.

Entrees: Missus had the Carpaccio which she enjoyed, I had the Crab Bruschetta, which obviously had been marinated because it didn't really taste like crab. Wasn't great, wasn't crap, just OK. Kids shared a fairly small serve of chips (which were kinda like the type you'd make yourself at home, they were pretty good actually).

Mains: Kids meals of Bolognese and Sausages. Missus and I shared the Osso Bucco and Half Lobster Pasta. The Osso was dry and by the time you pulled the bones out there was barely enough meat for an entree. The Lobster was either too long frozen, overcooked or both. Very little of it too. To be honest I wasn't overly impressed with the Mains.

Desert: Kids had Sorbet which they loved (I stuck a spoon in for review purposes and it was actually very nice). Missus had the Panacotta which she seemed to enjoy. I had the special which was a chocolate cheesecake and was sensational. Not being a big desert water though it was too rich for me and I couldn't finish it.

Kids had a juice each and we shared a bottle of Mineral Water.

Total came to $175 which wasn't value for money imho, happy to try again though as I'm thinking their other pastas might be the way to go.

One big thing in their favour is I don't recall ever having such friendly and helpful service. They were lovely toward us and just brilliant with the kids. Was probably the highlight of the experience.

6.0/10
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:24 pm

Was that before or after your $150 voucher
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:25 pm

And most importantly was the Mrs impressed with it??
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Postby JK » Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:11 pm

Was $175 total so only need to pay $25, I gave them a bit extra for their staff jar (not that isaw one lol)

Preparing for the event that the restaurant might not live up to its hype, I cashed in before we went \:D/
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:19 pm

$25 to feed the clan now that's backing a winner
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Postby stan » Mon Oct 12, 2015 11:25 am

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:$25 to feed the clan now that's backing a winner

Cant agrue with that. Solid voucher.
Read my reply. It is directed at you because you have double standards
stan
Coach

Has liked: 88 times
Been liked: 1253 times
Grassroots Team: Goodwood Saints

Postby wristwatcher » Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:28 pm

JK wrote:Well Jamie Olivers place didn't really live up to the expectations, although it wasn't terrible by any means.

2 adults and 2 kids, and thankfully a $150 voucher up our sleeves.

Entrees: Missus had the Carpaccio which she enjoyed, I had the Crab Bruschetta, which obviously had been marinated because it didn't really taste like crab. Wasn't great, wasn't crap, just OK. Kids shared a fairly small serve of chips (which were kinda like the type you'd make yourself at home, they were pretty good actually).

Mains: Kids meals of Bolognese and Sausages. Missus and I shared the Osso Bucco and Half Lobster Pasta. The Osso was dry and by the time you pulled the bones out there was barely enough meat for an entree. The Lobster was either too long frozen, overcooked or both. Very little of it too. To be honest I wasn't overly impressed with the Mains.

Desert: Kids had Sorbet which they loved (I stuck a spoon in for review purposes and it was actually very nice). Missus had the Panacotta which she seemed to enjoy. I had the special which was a chocolate cheesecake and was sensational. Not being a big desert water though it was too rich for me and I couldn't finish it.

Kids had a juice each and we shared a bottle of Mineral Water.

Total came to $175 which wasn't value for money imho, happy to try again though as I'm thinking their other pastas might be the way to go.

One big thing in their favour is I don't recall ever having such friendly and helpful service. They were lovely toward us and just brilliant with the kids. Was probably the highlight of the experience.

6.0/10

Yep my family and neighbours went Thursday and said the same. It's nice, kid friendly and they enjoyed the novelty but it's a bit over priced and not a life changing experience. Haven't got a spare $150 voucher have you chief :)
The PNU Falcs 2005,06,13 x 2,14 and Div 1 Premiers in 2019......The SA 3peat - 2003,04,05
wristwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 845 times

Postby wristwatcher » Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:40 pm

Not sure who mentioned it here previously but I tried the Glynde Go-go buffalo share platter last week with a mate.

A nice mix of ribs, various wings, beef ribs, sauces, chips and coleslaw. You feel like a grot and you make a big mess but it's one of those guilty pleasures two blokes can sink their mouth into. Probably not the ideal date food but with a nice cold froth or two it was pretty bloody good. Platter was $40 and he paid, also had a win on the ponies whilst going wrist deep in oil and sauce.

Worth a crack if you like your American type food. Probably not on my 2016 approved foods diet/pre-season regime. 8.5/10
The PNU Falcs 2005,06,13 x 2,14 and Div 1 Premiers in 2019......The SA 3peat - 2003,04,05
wristwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 845 times

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  General Discussion