2016 gradings

Adelaide Footy League Talk

Re: 2016 gradings

Postby Hefty » Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:35 pm

jo172 wrote:
BigB wrote:Div 8 is pure C&D comp... Unley unlikely to seek promotion as we want to play our C's and D's amonst other similar clubs for a whole heap of valid reasons.

I think there's a reasonable chance that D8 will not exist or will be in a radically different form next year. I would be very unsurprised if the top 6-7 teams in Div 8 in 2015 aren't in D7 with Flinders Uni etc in 2016. If Unley wants to play against clubs in a similar position's C Grade I dare say they'll (i.e TTG, PAOC, Old Iggies, PNU) be more than likely to be in D7

I have to disagree with this post. Why would D8 not exist when it has worked well over the past 3-4years?? It is a great comp for C/D teams which gives opportunities for clubs to have more senior players on their lists with 7 player benches. I know from a GGFC perspective we had a number of occasions this year where we had both C & D grade teams with the 25 players max. and a couple of blokes missing out altogether. Why would we want to go to Div7 where there are 4 player benches?? Therefore, you have potentially 8 players missing out each week.

And, I agree with @BigB we want to play against other C/D grade clubs. Why would a 'C' grade team want to come up against an 'A' grade team every second week?? Not much of an even playing field.
Hefty
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 133 times
Been liked: 110 times
Grassroots Team: Golden Grove

Postby Boosh » Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:37 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Nearly Was wrote:How could you play for a Club that promotes mediocrity. The thrill of being promoted is nearly as good as playing in a GF. And good players always like to try themselves against better opposition. Any player worth his salt wants to play to his optimum level. If the Club doesn't, I wouldn't want to play there.

Or they could promise bucket loads of cash for prospective players to get them out there and not pay them causing a mass exodus and 70 goal beltings for a season to go back down to div 4 and be further away from square one.
I believe that they can only exercise their right to do so once and their committee must see it more financially viable to continue to build their squad before attempting to take the next step.

Not sure what money has to do with it, they finished second, were the best drilled side in the division and their B Grade were undefeated.
I have a problem. It's to do with the little man, the squashed-in French man, the naked little squashed up hairy boy! You know! With the hand feet
*I apologise to Hope Valley people in advance, no offence intended
Boosh
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 256 times
Been liked: 192 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby Q. » Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:41 pm

Hefty wrote:
jo172 wrote:
BigB wrote:Div 8 is pure C&D comp... Unley unlikely to seek promotion as we want to play our C's and D's amonst other similar clubs for a whole heap of valid reasons.

I think there's a reasonable chance that D8 will not exist or will be in a radically different form next year. I would be very unsurprised if the top 6-7 teams in Div 8 in 2015 aren't in D7 with Flinders Uni etc in 2016. If Unley wants to play against clubs in a similar position's C Grade I dare say they'll (i.e TTG, PAOC, Old Iggies, PNU) be more than likely to be in D7

I have to disagree with this post. Why would D8 not exist when it has worked well over the past 3-4years?? It is a great comp for C/D teams which gives opportunities for clubs to have more senior players on their lists with 7 player benches. I know from a GGFC perspective we had a number of occasions this year where we had both C & D grade teams with the 25 players max. and a couple of blokes missing out altogether. Why would we want to go to Div7 where there are 4 player benches?? Therefore, you have potentially 8 players missing out each week.

And, I agree with @BigB we want to play against other C/D grade clubs. Why would a 'C' grade team want to come up against an 'A' grade team every second week?? Not much of an even playing field.

By the same token, why would a D4 club's C-Grade want to come up against a D1 club's C-grade?

With only 4 A-Grade clubs currently in D7, it makes sense to pull the top 5 up from D8.
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:42 pm

Boosh wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:
Nearly Was wrote:How could you play for a Club that promotes mediocrity. The thrill of being promoted is nearly as good as playing in a GF. And good players always like to try themselves against better opposition. Any player worth his salt wants to play to his optimum level. If the Club doesn't, I wouldn't want to play there.

Or they could promise bucket loads of cash for prospective players to get them out there and not pay them causing a mass exodus and 70 goal beltings for a season to go back down to div 4 and be further away from square one.
I believe that they can only exercise their right to do so once and their committee must see it more financially viable to continue to build their squad before attempting to take the next step.

Not sure what money has to do with it, they finished second, were the best drilled side in the division and their B Grade were undefeated.

Once bitten, twice shy. I'm sure that they think that their squad isn't strong enough to match it with the div 3 clubs just yet. I'm sure they have their reasons.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4339 times
Been liked: 7902 times

Postby Q. » Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:45 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Boosh wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:

Once bitten, twice shy. I'm sure that they think that their squad isn't strong enough to match it with the div 3 clubs just yet. I'm sure they have their reasons.

Then make it stronger. That's rather the point of promotion.
Q.
Coach

Postby Hefty » Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:47 pm

Q. wrote:
Hefty wrote:
jo172 wrote:

By the same token, why would a D4 club's C-Grade want to come up against a D1 club's C-grade?

With only 4 A-Grade clubs currently in D7, it makes sense to pull the top 5 up from D8.

Been happening for years.

If the league was to amalgamate Div 7/8 would they look at extending the bench to 7 players??
Hefty
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 133 times
Been liked: 110 times
Grassroots Team: Golden Grove

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:48 pm

Q. wrote:

And how does a club do that without throwing money around?

I'm not saying I agree with what they've done, I'm just saying they obviously have their reasons to use their wild card.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Q. » Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:49 pm

Hefty wrote:If the league was to amalgamate Div 7/8 would they look at extending the bench to 7 players??

Not sure of their intentions in that regard, however, I would propose two things:

- 21-man teams in D7, 25-man teams in D7R

- C-grades exempt from promotion to D6
Last edited by Q. on Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Q.
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:53 pm

Q. wrote:
Hefty wrote:If the league was to amalgamate Div 7/8 would they look at extending the bench to 7 players??

Not sure of there intentions in that regard, however, I would propose two things:

their*
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby heater31 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:59 pm

Q. wrote:

Not sure of there intentions in that regard, however, I would propose two things:

Using Turf Cricket as an example they have a rule that a club's B grade can't be promoted any higher than the last A grade division. However there is an exemption this season with some sides higher up folding or being severely restricted with player numbers and some have been promoted out of the lowest A grade division.

Agree with Q that in footy terms C Grade sides are exempt from the rules of promotion. It works for cricket so why not Football?
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby Q. » Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:01 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Q. wrote:

their*

Aren't you a Mod? You should've edited it for me ;)
Q.
Coach

Postby Q. » Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:02 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Q. wrote:

I'm not saying I agree with what they've done, I'm just saying they obviously have their reasons to use their wild card.

It makes it harder, no doubt.
Q.
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:06 pm

Q. wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:
their*

Aren't you a Mod? You should've edited it for me ;)

Sorry, you usually have impeccable grammar, I couldn't resist.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:08 pm

Q. wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:
Q. wrote:

It makes it harder, no doubt.

It's why I have so much respect for clubs like Golden Grove, Modbury, Unley and Portland, just to name a few. It wasn't all that long ago that they were languishing in the mid to lower grades.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Nearly Was » Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:51 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Q. wrote:

Don't think you got the gist of what I was saying LM. Not that you would miss having a pot at Kilburn anyway. I was discussing the thoughts of the players being held back to a lower grade than they could achieve. Now with out bagging Kilburn, try to answer that.
Nearly Was
Under 16s

Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 12 times
Grassroots Team: Kilburn

Postby number2 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:21 pm

Boosh wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:

All i can say is it is Pathetic from Salisbury not to go up. A grade were runners up by 2 points and B Grade went through undefeated. B Grade finished top of the ladder by that far they had points taken from them due to the U18 issue and were still clear on top. Stinks of Big Fish in A small Pond really.

Note: Why is it that northern clubs seem to have this issue a lot?
Brahma Lodge played in the DIV 3 GF 2013 went down to div 4 2014 and didn't win a game
Salisbury West Played in the Div 4 GF 2014 went down to Div 7 2015 won 5 games
Kilburn Asked to drop down extra divisions in 2015 but were refused by the league and had to come up with a playing list to field teams which they did successfully
And now Salisbury Play in Div 4 GF 2015 lose by 2 points and want to stay in div 4 2016

I don't get it! as a club you know the rules when you play in the amateur league so why should you bend them at all. There are clubs in the system who have gone up 2 or 3 divisions without winning a flag at all. There should need to be exceptional circumstances for any club note to promote or relegate as per the system. What happens if Salisbury go on and play in and even win the GF in Div 4 2016.

If you play in the GF you go up. If you finish in the bottom 2 you go down. Manage your club accordingly!

Salisbury = Pathetic
number2

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 4 times

Postby Executive Member » Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:26 pm

not sure what rules are being bent here :shock:

From the Rule & Regs as approved by the clubs each year

37.5 Either of the Member Clubs playing in the Grand Final may choose not to be promoted in the following season provided that such an option has not been exercised by that Member Club in the previous season and that a Member Club occupying either of the lowest two positions on the premiership table at the end of the minor round of matches in the Division above the Member Clubs to be promoted chooses to remain in the same Division for the following season provided such Member Club has not exercised this option in the previous season
Executive Member
Veteran

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 140 times

Postby whufc » Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:36 pm

I would be interested to here Pags thoughts on this? He made comment that he and all the players wanted to play div 3 next year so i would be interested to hear what the players are doing.

Anyways this is weak as piss, as LM said you use to hate but respect Salisbury in juniors a combination of their success, the fact that most of us kids were all Central supporters and hated the colours. Lost all respect imho.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby whufc » Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:39 pm

Executive Member wrote:not sure what rules are being bent here :shock:

From the Rule & Regs as approved by the clubs each year

37.5 Either of the Member Clubs playing in the Grand Final may choose not to be promoted in the following season provided that such an option has not been exercised by that Member Club in the previous season and that a Member Club occupying either of the lowest two positions on the premiership table at the end of the minor round of matches in the Division above the Member Clubs to be promoted chooses to remain in the same Division for the following season provided such Member Club has not exercised this option in the previous season

Just because its in the rules doesnt make it weak as piss.

Absolute ridiculous rule to have if you are trying to encourage the promotion/relegation rule.

It should be as simple as the bottom two sides are relegated, the promotion rule as it is and that the committee will listen to clubs who wish to make special applications outside of this.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5565 times
Been liked: 2519 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby The Big Shrek » Wed Oct 28, 2015 4:40 pm

whufc wrote:I would be interested to here Pags thoughts on this? He made comment that he and all the players wanted to play div 3 next year so i would be interested to hear what the players are doing.

Anyways this is weak as piss, as LM said you use to hate but respect Salisbury in juniors a combination of their success, the fact that most of us kids were all Central supporters and hated the colours. Lost all respect imho.

I reckon Pag would be filthy
The Big Shrek
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 366 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Adelaide Footy League