Elizabeth & Unley to Host NAB Cup Games

All discussions to do with the SANFL

Re: Elizabeth & Unley to Host NAB Cup Games

Postby PatowalongaPirate » Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:30 am

Bounce of the ball wrote:It would be great at Glenelg. Should try for a night game and see if they get the lights up to decent spectator standard. Westies might have missed their boat and same for Centrals. South are a chance next run.

If you cant see the benefit of having one of these games at your club, well you might as well give up .

If Glenelg were allowed to have stronger lights then they would.
safooty Melbourne Cup Day Tipping Champion 2018 & 2019 #Back2Back
2018 safooty NFL Tipping Champion
PatowalongaPirate
2022 SA Footy Punter of the Year

Has liked: 444 times
Been liked: 1208 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby on the rails » Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:24 pm

Why should clubs like North and Glenelg miss out because they share grounds with their respective cricket clubs. The games should be rotated so each of the pure SANFL gets a chance to host before previous host clubs get a second or third bite.

My solution to the cricket situation is let those clubs nominate 2 or 3 decent grounds in their country zones and play a game there. This helps promote both the AFL and goodwill to the Country Team selected from their SANFL Club.
Piss weak SANFL and the CLOWNS who run it.
on the rails
League - Top 5

Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 83 times

Postby daysofourlives » Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:19 pm

on the rails wrote:Why should clubs like North and Glenelg miss out because they share grounds with their respective cricket clubs. The games should be rotated so each of the pure SANFL gets a chance to host before previous host clubs get a second or third bite.

My solution to the cricket situation is let those clubs nominate 2 or 3 decent grounds in their country zones and play a game there. This helps promote both the AFL and goodwill to the Country Team selected from their SANFL Club.

Oh so the country people can give up their ground (usually around cricket finals time) for a meaningless game of AFL?
Not too many grounds in SA are suitable for AFL apparently, they wont play on any ground that has a concrete pitch so the grounds must have a turf wicket, there would only be 20 tops in the whole state
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2415 times
Been liked: 1657 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby on the rails » Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:56 pm

Sorry for making a constructive suggestion....clearly my suggestion would be subject to logistical and physical considerations but the SANFL is about all clubs not just those teams with no cricket being played in the pre-season so lets see some fairness across the board. Still other than a one game decent return from catering on the day (assuming the local club gets to keep all profit?) financially struggling clubs get what from hosting - some gigantic goalposts and another dressing of top soil which no doubt has to be approved by the AFL GM of Groundkeeping.
Piss weak SANFL and the CLOWNS who run it.
on the rails
League - Top 5

Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 83 times

Postby PhilH » Fri Oct 30, 2015 5:49 pm

There are also some facility upgrades to things like the interchange benches, coaches boxes and desks for media. From a pure radio broadcast viewpoint City Mazda was a major improvement after their NAB cup game, will be interesting to see what media facilities are like at Unley next year .. can someone please get a game at Prospect?
PhilH
League - Top 5

Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 163 times
Grassroots Team: Happy Valley

Postby Wedgie » Fri Oct 30, 2015 6:41 pm

PhilH wrote:There are also some facility upgrades to things like the interchange benches, coaches boxes and desks for media. From a pure radio broadcast viewpoint City Mazda was a major improvement after their NAB cup game, will be interesting to see what media facilities are like at Unley next year .. can someone please get a game at Prospect?

No thanks, we'd prefer a brewery convention.
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2020 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Bounce of the ball » Fri Oct 30, 2015 6:53 pm

Some grounds need work and facilities for players , coaches and even supporters comes way before a radio station.
Bounce of the ball
Reserves

Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 65 times

Postby therisingblues » Fri Oct 30, 2015 8:33 pm

There's just way too much disrespecting Unley on this thread.
Yes, it is a work of art. The clean air and view of the hills might be unappreciated by folk with shittier home grounds. Not understanding the infinite wisdom of having the crowd and all facilities on the one side of the ground for convenience and atmosphere is perhaps stubborn jealousy. The grandstands with their wonderful blending of old and new encapsulates different eras of the SANFL and are obviously educational as well as aesthetically pleasing. Then there's the welcoming Sturt folk themselves. They'll never tell you to **** off, much. A more socially adjusted gathering on the terraces you will not find in the southern hemisphere.
So considering all that, why not have the candy stripes and the Eagles play a game on such hallowed turf?
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Has liked: 369 times
Been liked: 514 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Spargo » Sat Oct 31, 2015 2:00 pm

Will they be selling beer to non-Sturt members?
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ

Don’t lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive...
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5457 times
Been liked: 5089 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby knowledge » Sat Oct 31, 2015 4:07 pm

therisingblues wrote:There's just way too much disrespecting Unley on this thread.
Yes, it is a work of art. The clean air and view of the hills might be unappreciated by folk with shittier home grounds. Not understanding the infinite wisdom of having the crowd and all facilities on the one side of the ground for convenience and atmosphere is perhaps stubborn jealousy. The grandstands with their wonderful blending of old and new encapsulates different eras of the SANFL and are obviously educational as well as aesthetically pleasing. Then there's the welcoming Sturt folk themselves. They'll never tell you to **** off, much. A more socially adjusted gathering on the terraces you will not find in the southern hemisphere.
So considering all that, why not have the candy stripes and the Eagles play a game on such hallowed turf?

Was over at Unley today. The H J McKay stand (old) has cyclone fencing around it preventing entrance to the seated area. Looks like new seating going in.
knowledge
Rookie

Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 74 times

Postby Big Phil » Sat Oct 31, 2015 5:15 pm

therisingblues wrote:There's just way too much disrespecting Unley on this thread.

Hope you weren't listening to the AA Sports Show this morning, then...

Rucci, Cornes and Kym Dillon were discussing the NAB Cup game being played at Unley and were bewildered by the decision...
Big Phil
Coach

Has liked: 120 times
Been liked: 271 times

Postby Bounce of the ball » Sat Oct 31, 2015 6:55 pm

Big Phil wrote:

Rucci, Cornes and Kym Dillon were discussing the NAB Cup game being played at Unley and were bewildered by the decision...

What was the reasoning ? I suspect , knowing those running the SFC , this will be a huge success and organised extremely professionally. Not sure many people would even worry about Rucci's point of view. He's just a journalist , no idea about footy. When was he at Unley last ?
Bounce of the ball
Reserves

Postby Wedgie » Sat Oct 31, 2015 7:33 pm

Bounce of the ball wrote:
Big Phil wrote:

What was the reasoning ? I suspect , knowing those running the SFC , this will be a huge success and organised extremely professionally. Not sure many people would even worry about Rucci's point of view. He's just a journalist , no idea about footy. When was he at Unley last ?

You kidding? Its a dog walking park with poorer facilities than most of not all country, amateur and SFL clubs!
Might as well as have it in someones backyard, would make as much sense!
Wedgie
Site Admin

Has liked: 2020 times
Been liked: 3862 times
Grassroots Team: Noarlunga

Postby Dutchy » Sat Oct 31, 2015 7:37 pm

I understand playing these games at Elizabeth and Noarlunga but makes no sense playing them at an inner city venue like Unley or Norwood, I thought the idea of playing these games was to put them into new markets that don't get regular AFL footy.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2311 times
Been liked: 3482 times

Postby Bounce of the ball » Sat Oct 31, 2015 10:27 pm

Wedgie wrote:
Big Phil wrote:

You kidding? Its a dog walking park with poorer facilities than most of not all country, amateur and SFL clubs!
Might as well as have it in someones backyard, would make as much sense!

Didn't obviously read my post . Read it , understand it and then post logically.

Great choice of venue , good decision. Well done to those running the sfc . Obviously professional .
Bounce of the ball
Reserves

Postby therisingblues » Sat Oct 31, 2015 11:05 pm

Dutchy wrote:I understand playing these games at Elizabeth and Noarlunga but makes no sense playing them at an inner city venue like Unley or Norwood, I thought the idea of playing these games was to put them into new markets that don't get regular AFL footy.

The only AFL game I went to last year was the Power/ Eagles pre season game at Norwood. There were about 7,000-8,000 odd there which gave it the feel of an 80's style SANFL game. That sized crowd fits the ground very well, and brings out its character more so than the 2,000-3,000 size crowds we get these days. The fact that it was at a suburban ground also lent a sense of occasion, it's hard to explain but the act of travelling to Norwood for a game of AFL was so much more meaningful than doing the same at Adelaide Oval, with it's AFL-sanitized brand spanking new stands capable of seating 50,000 + spectators, by contrast climbing into the rickety old wooden stand behind the goals at Norwood, with its pillars that sometimes block your view, and with the smaller overall ground dimensions was strangely very satisfying. Maybe I am just getting old, I don't know, but it was also reminiscent of the big games played there when the SANFL meant so much more. You weren't travelling to a stadium "for all South Australians" you travelled to the warts-and-all version of whatever the home team produced, at Norwood it was the rickety old stand behind the goals, the architectural vomit that looked as though it was built by volunteers on the western wing, with its made-to-splat walls meters from the boundary, the underground toilet in the outer, the tin shed that served beer, the medium to small hill at the southern end that could pack thousands. The imperfections were the charm, we packed into such places because we loved the game so much, and each club had its own cobbled together group of mounds, stands and buildings reflective of what assets that club could utilize to accommodate a game day crowd.
Apart from the nostalgia and atmosphere, I didn't have to worry about car parking or the hassle of going into the city. Norwood is very convenient in that it is central but without the headaches of being too central. You step out the ground and you are right in suburbia. I would not have gone if the fixture had been at Adelaide Oval, and going to an outer suburbs ground would have been too much of an inconvenience.
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Postby therisingblues » Sat Oct 31, 2015 11:15 pm

Big Phil wrote:

Agreed BOTB, those guys have a generic AFL centric view of footy in this state. Guys like me and my views seem not to exist in their eyes. To think, I would have an interest that privileges the SANFL over AFL is incomprehensible to them. It would naturally follow that they'd be out of touch with why someone like me would want to watch footy at Unley as opposed to Adelaide Oval, or, why it is important that it be at Unley and not Elizabeth or Noarlunga. I'll definitely go to this game and have a good day out and the ground will most likely be filled to capacity with about 6,000. It'll be a good atmosphere even if the game is lop-sided.
therisingblues
Coach

Postby Booney » Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:21 am

Such hallowed turf you decided not to play there for some years, did you not?

"Socially adjusted...they'll never tell you to **** off"....Seems you're speaking in an uneducated sense, have you been to Unley? :lol:
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby Dogwatcher » Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:17 am

Wedgie wrote:
PhilH wrote:There are also some facility upgrades to things like the interchange benches, coaches boxes and desks for media. From a pure radio broadcast viewpoint City Mazda was a major improvement after their NAB cup game, will be interesting to see what media facilities are like at Unley next year .. can someone please get a game at Prospect?

Would you guys be able to organise a piss up in a brewery convention?
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby Booney » Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:47 am

Dogwatcher wrote:
Wedgie wrote:

Would you guys be able to organise a piss up in a brewery convention?

Maintaining the theme of football coming second at Prospect. ;)
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  SANFL