Kane Cornes

Talk on the national game

Re: Kane Cornes

Postby Rik E Boy » Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:10 pm

Booney wrote:
LaughingKookaburra wrote:I still shake my head at his retirement process after committing to another season, doing preseasons involving game plans and individuals input ect then pissing off after 2 months.If you were more committed to the new career move then piss of during the off season and give another kid a red hot crack from day 1 of pre-season. If it was the club who encouraged him to return just to notch up a 300 gamer..... well!

Pretty ordinary by him to come out in the Media with that info. He'll get quickly chewed up and spat out in the media if he keeps that up as no-one will speak to him or his resources.

At the time I was for supporting Kane, he's been an outstanding player for our club over many years. However, the more I think about the impact the whole period had on our season I get frustrated.

Losing to Brisbane and then Richmond, in what was Cornes' 300th and last game, it really seems as though it took the players focus of winning two very winnable games in a season that saw us miss the 8 by a game. It was the needs of one put over the needs of all, I feel.

Clearly Cornes knew in November last year that there was the possibility of him being accepted into the Fire Brigade, a possibility he would not see out the season. As such, I'm now of the thinking it was quite selfish of Cornes to play on when it was quite likely he wouldn't see out the season.

These comments are also selfish, he's put his burgeoning media profile more into the spotlight by "outing" his former team mates.

While I'm not naive, I expect players at all clubs are using recreational drugs, prior to these comments nobody (outside AFL testing teams) could definitively say Port Adelaide player(s) have indeed tested positive. For all intents and purposes the playing group could be seen as clean, there was nothing other than big mouths with anecdotal evidence saying there were players at the club who had used drugs. Now, it could be any of them, IMO, he's put all Port players under the microscope. I'm really disappointed.

I thought it was selfish at the time.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1698 times
Been liked: 1818 times

Postby Rik E Boy » Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:12 pm

Jimmy_041 wrote:
Wedgie wrote:Nah, they're just working towards Graham's level, haven't reached it let alone pass it yet.

The family vomit fest on "On the Couch" (or whatever it was)
It was a good time to go to the dentist and get that root canal instead

That was shithouse. BUnch of flogs.

Regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:06 pm

Rik E Boy wrote:
Booney wrote:
LaughingKookaburra wrote:I still shake my head at his retirement process after committing to another season, doing preseasons involving game plans and individuals input ect then pissing off after 2 months.If you were more committed to the new career move then piss of during the off season and give another kid a red hot crack from day 1 of pre-season. If it was the club who encouraged him to return just to notch up a 300 gamer..... well!

Pretty ordinary by him to come out in the Media with that info. He'll get quickly chewed up and spat out in the media if he keeps that up as no-one will speak to him or his resources.

At the time I was for supporting Kane, he's been an outstanding player for our club over many years. However, the more I think about the impact the whole period had on our season I get frustrated.

Losing to Brisbane and then Richmond, in what was Cornes' 300th and last game, it really seems as though it took the players focus of winning two very winnable games in a season that saw us miss the 8 by a game. It was the needs of one put over the needs of all, I feel.

Clearly Cornes knew in November last year that there was the possibility of him being accepted into the Fire Brigade, a possibility he would not see out the season. As such, I'm now of the thinking it was quite selfish of Cornes to play on when it was quite likely he wouldn't see out the season.

These comments are also selfish, he's put his burgeoning media profile more into the spotlight by "outing" his former team mates.

While I'm not naive, I expect players at all clubs are using recreational drugs, prior to these comments nobody (outside AFL testing teams) could definitively say Port Adelaide player(s) have indeed tested positive. For all intents and purposes the playing group could be seen as clean, there was nothing other than big mouths with anecdotal evidence saying there were players at the club who had used drugs. Now, it could be any of them, IMO, he's put all Port players under the microscope. I'm really disappointed.

I thought it was selfish at the time.

regards,

REB

Agree. Port could have set up their structures from day 1 pre-season with another committed bloke, not a bloke who's second choice was to play AFL football in 2015 but played anyway, took some good coin and then pissed off 1/3 in to the season. If he chooses to make a career to save lives good on him, however he could have done that after retiring at the end of last year to give his club as good of a chance to win the flag the next year without 1 less hurdle. Makes a mockery of Port's "Team/club first" stance.
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 73 times
Been liked: 741 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby Spargo » Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:18 pm

This is where the coach comes into it ^
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5487 times
Been liked: 5125 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby UK Fan » Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:20 pm

Booney wrote:
whufc wrote:
heater31 wrote:Certainly does no favours to the innuendo around John McCarthy's unfortunate demise in Las Vegas.

Yep was another case where AFL players using recreational drugs was conveniently swept under the rug.

Whilst I'm not naive, are you saying you know that was the case?

Yep. Quote me.(not that there's anything wrong with that)

What happens in Vegas.......
fester69 wrote: I'm full of "pish and wind" !!You can call me weak !!

MW wrote: Well call me a special asshole!.

Booney wrote: I'm a happy clapper **** stick.

THE SKY HAS FALLEN!!!!
UK Fan
Coach

Has liked: 1202 times
Been liked: 502 times

Postby LaughingKookaburra » Fri Oct 30, 2015 6:52 am

Spargo wrote:This is where the coach comes into it ^

Absolutely. The coach should have faced much more scrutiny the year just gone.
Can you bring a man to his feet when defeat is on repeat?
LaughingKookaburra
Coach

Has liked: 73 times
Been liked: 741 times
Grassroots Team: Kenilworth

Postby redden whites » Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:44 am

Now into the 3rd generation of media addicted
whores the whole family.
redden whites
League - Best 21

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 8 times
Grassroots Team: Jamestown-Peterborough

Postby Dutchy » Fri Oct 30, 2015 8:51 pm

Booney wrote:

This is what I was saying at the time, if you remember.....
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2326 times
Been liked: 3506 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:52 am

But the coach allowed this situation. So yes Kane is responsible but at the end of the day the coach decides who stays and who goes......
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11853 times
Been liked: 3601 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:54 am

Booney wrote:
Jim05 wrote:Every club would have players on the gear why would Port be any different?

Not disputing that. Poor form by a player recently retired to say it openly. Some of his mates won't be thrilled....on top of his retirement process.

This would seem worse than a leaving player sending out an email
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11853 times
Been liked: 3601 times

Postby Psyber » Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:12 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:
Booney wrote:
Jim05 wrote:Every club would have players on the gear why would Port be any different?

Not disputing that. Poor form by a player recently retired to say it openly. Some of his mates won't be thrilled....on top of his retirement process.

This would seem worse than a leaving player sending out an email

The best thing would be name and shame all detected recreational drug users in any form of public life.

I've spent enough time in clogged up public hospital EDs in several states recently seeing the effects (of even THC on the vulnerable) to conclude something needs to be done. I'd support compulsory detention for detox where really really destructive products like "Ice" are involved.
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 390 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby therisingblues » Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:40 pm

Not sure Psyber.
These players are role models to millions of kids, and a potential message we could be sending out by naming and shaming is that it is possible to be an AFL footballer and use recreational drugs.
Just fine them, big time, or suspend them and report a generic injury like "ankle" or "back strain" or whatever to explain the absence IMO.
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Has liked: 369 times
Been liked: 514 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby PatowalongaPirate » Sun Nov 01, 2015 9:59 pm

therisingblues wrote:Not sure Psyber.
These players are role models to millions of kids, and a potential message we could be sending out by naming and shaming is that it is possible to be an AFL footballer and use recreational drugs.
Just fine them, big time, or suspend them and report a generic injury like "ankle" or "back strain" or whatever to explain the absence IMO.

It's also possible to be an Afl footballer and a rapist. Do we list that as general soreness?
safooty Melbourne Cup Day Tipping Champion 2018 & 2019 #Back2Back
2018 safooty NFL Tipping Champion
PatowalongaPirate
2022 SA Footy Punter of the Year

Has liked: 449 times
Been liked: 1215 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby therisingblues » Sun Nov 01, 2015 11:20 pm

PatowalongaPirate wrote:

It's also possible to be an Afl footballer and a rapist. Do we list that as general soreness?

Recreational drugs and athletic prowess would traditionally be viewed as polar opposites. Take Shane Warne smoking many years ago, and the media raving about what a bad influence that image is on kids. My thoughts were why paste the image all over the papers if that's the case. But anyway, the more athletes we see smoking would assist in creating the (false) image that smoking is good for you. Rightly or wrongly, Illicit drugs carry that element of doubt, that taking them might inhibit performance on the field. A regular "naming and shaming" exercise in the media, especially with their penchant of flogging dead horses would be inadvertently be sending the message that it is still possible to perform at the top level and take these drugs.
I can also point out that it would also be possible to steal cars, shoplift, commit fraud, assault people, run nude down rundle mall, or go to the toilet without washing your hands, and still be an AFL footballer. But, none of these would be viewed as part of a dichotomy of performance damaging or performance neutral drug taking, as none of them carry the stigma of potentially harming the athlete's body in the popular public image. Nor would those examples occur with as great regularity as AFL footballers take drugs, IMO. Hopefully the problem isn't as bad as I imagine it might be.
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Postby Rik E Boy » Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:45 pm

Role Models LOL. That's our job.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Postby Spangas » Mon Nov 02, 2015 1:46 pm

Rik E Boy wrote:Role Models LOL. That's our job.

regards,

REB

Exactly. =D>
I apologise.
Spangas
Under 16s

Has liked: 118 times
Been liked: 103 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Nov 02, 2015 3:13 pm

They're probably more inclined to have a line of coke because they aren't allowed to be seen drinking and it's in and out of your system very quickly, like really, how many times are players suspended internally for getting caught having a beer or wine in a hotel room or at a family function, it's bullshit really, as long as it's in moderation.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4347 times
Been liked: 7926 times

Postby Booney » Mon Nov 02, 2015 3:29 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:

They're probably more inclined to have a line of coke because they aren't allowed to be seen drinking and it's in and out of your system very quickly, like really, how many times are players suspended internally for getting caught having a beer or wine in a hotel room or at a family function, it's bullshit really, as long as it's in moderation.

This. ^

If clubs gave players, or indeed players gave players the go ahead to enjoy a few beers from time to time through the season the likely hood of the post season blow up will be reduced, IMO.

Far too many "leadership" meetings ask the playing group to abstain, clearly they don't trust each other to have 3 or 4 or 10 at home the day after the day after a game. For instance, if you play Friday night, do recovery Saturday morning, go home and barrel down 10 cans who cares and more so, who will know? It's unfortunate that players are such high profile that a Sunday sesh in the beer garden at the local is front page news.

So, clubs let players have a few beers here and there ( surely, surely it won't hurt their skin folds! ) and the public stand back and let them have a quiet beer with their mates, the end of year binge will be less, IMO.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7494 times
Been liked: 10781 times

Postby therisingblues » Mon Nov 02, 2015 3:58 pm

Rik E Boy wrote:Role Models LOL. That's our job.

regards,

REB

Hmmm, kids only follow their parent's role model? Interesting.
I guess society has been saved the spread of ice then, drug problems will never extend beyond those families that aren't doing drugs already?
There's a recent, dramatic example of where a son didn't follow his father's clean example. Probably best if I don't talk about that too much, but I bring it up now just to say that you can be the best father ever and your kids will still find influences elsewhere.
Wouldn't it be great if all we had to do to ensure that our kids turn out right is lead a clean life ourselves and then tell kids not to follow bad role models?
therisingblues
Coach

Postby therisingblues » Mon Nov 02, 2015 3:59 pm

Booney wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:

This. ^

If clubs gave players, or indeed players gave players the go ahead to enjoy a few beers from time to time through the season the likely hood of the post season blow up will be reduced, IMO.

Far too many "leadership" meetings ask the playing group to abstain, clearly they don't trust each other to have 3 or 4 or 10 at home the day after the day after a game. For instance, if you play Friday night, do recovery Saturday morning, go home and barrel down 10 cans who cares and more so, who will know? It's unfortunate that players are such high profile that a Sunday sesh in the beer garden at the local is front page news.

So, clubs let players have a few beers here and there ( surely, surely it won't hurt their skin folds! ) and the public stand back and let them have a quiet beer with their mates, the end of year binge will be less, IMO.

I agree with both of you on all that you've said above.
therisingblues
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL