Kane Cornes

Talk on the national game

Re: Kane Cornes

Postby Rik E Boy » Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:52 pm

therisingblues wrote:
Rik E Boy wrote:Role Models LOL. That's our job.

regards,

REB

Hmmm, kids only follow their parent's role model? Interesting.
I guess society has been saved the spread of ice then, drug problems will never extend beyond those families that aren't doing drugs already?
There's a recent, dramatic example of where a son didn't follow his father's clean example. Probably best if I don't talk about that too much, but I bring it up now just to say that you can be the best father ever and your kids will still find influences elsewhere.
Wouldn't it be great if all we had to do to ensure that our kids turn out right is lead a clean life ourselves and then tell kids not to follow bad role models?

Where did I specifically mention parents? When speaking of role models, I would suggest that an athlete with lots of spare time and plenty of coin wouldn't necessarily be one of them. Bringing up Ice is drawing a long bow. I would suggest that a lack of positive role models is only one of many factors that has lead to the rise of this drug. While speaking of "good dads with bad kids" I'd like to see how many ice users live on the Eastern side of town. I'm tipping there would be a few more in other areas of the city. With the recent example I believe you are alluding too I would be thinking of the absent father factor. You need to be more than 'squeaky clean' to be a good role model, you have to be THERE.

This is why my role models are family, not blokes like Gary Ablett who I lost all respect for despite him being the best player I have seen. This is why, despite being a little turd at school I remember some excellent teachers who were there and made an impact on my life. For some people they could include coppers, coaches, family friends or religious types if that's your thing.

Some AFL players can become role models but they aren't there consistently enough IMO to be considered true role models. Ah well, that's my two cents anyway.

respectfully,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1698 times
Been liked: 1818 times

Postby therisingblues » Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:50 pm

Sorry REB, when you said "That's our job", I took it from the perspective of you being a father with kids.
There was also some clown on the radio recently who said it's just a matter of parents telling kids not to follow footy players as role models. Now kids usually don't respond to just being told. People are more complex than that.
My reference to ice was based purely on it being the current out of control drug, and the fact that no normal parent would want their kids on it, but plenty of kids are. Usually as a result of following the wrong crowd, influences, role models etc.
Most of what you said I can't argue with. Except there's plenty out there who perhaps aren't as sharp about deciding good role models as what you were. Some unfortunately will look at an AFL players taking drugs as good airplay for the drug. Hence I'm not sure if naming and shaming would be such a good strategy.
I'm gonna sit back, crack the top off a Pale Ale, and watch the Double Blues prevail
1915, 1919, 1926, 1932, 1940, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1974, 1976, 2002, 2016, 2017
therisingblues
Coach

Has liked: 369 times
Been liked: 514 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:32 am

Booney wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:
therisingblues wrote:Not sure Psyber.
These players are role models to millions of kids, and a potential message we could be sending out by naming and shaming is that it is possible to be an AFL footballer and use recreational drugs.
Just fine them, big time, or suspend them and report a generic injury like "ankle" or "back strain" or whatever to explain the absence IMO.

They're probably more inclined to have a line of coke because they aren't allowed to be seen drinking and it's in and out of your system very quickly, like really, how many times are players suspended internally for getting caught having a beer or wine in a hotel room or at a family function, it's bullshit really, as long as it's in moderation.

This. ^

If clubs gave players, or indeed players gave players the go ahead to enjoy a few beers from time to time through the season the likely hood of the post season blow up will be reduced, IMO.

Far too many "leadership" meetings ask the playing group to abstain, clearly they don't trust each other to have 3 or 4 or 10 at home the day after the day after a game. For instance, if you play Friday night, do recovery Saturday morning, go home and barrel down 10 cans who cares and more so, who will know? It's unfortunate that players are such high profile that a Sunday sesh in the beer garden at the local is front page news.

So, clubs let players have a few beers here and there ( surely, surely it won't hurt their skin folds! ) and the public stand back and let them have a quiet beer with their mates, the end of year binge will be less, IMO.

Yeah, how ridiculous that a 30 year old man has to hide the fact he's having a 6 pack at a Sunday BBQ? No wonder there's so many indiscretions on end of season trips/mad Monday's, the blokes aren't used to being on the piss.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4344 times
Been liked: 7921 times

Postby Spangas » Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:01 am

therisingblues wrote:Sorry REB, when you said "That's our job", I took it from the perspective of you being a father with kids.
There was also some clown on the radio recently who said it's just a matter of parents telling kids not to follow footy players as role models. Now kids usually don't respond to just being told. People are more complex than that.
My reference to ice was based purely on it being the current out of control drug, and the fact that no normal parent would want their kids on it, but plenty of kids are. Usually as a result of following the wrong crowd, influences, role models etc.
Most of what you said I can't argue with. Except there's plenty out there who perhaps aren't as sharp about deciding good role models as what you were. Some unfortunately will look at an AFL players taking drugs as good airplay for the drug. Hence I'm not sure if naming and shaming would be such a good strategy.

This isn't the thread for it, but alcohol does far more damage than ice and has been 'out of control' for a lot longer.
I apologise.
Spangas
Under 16s

Has liked: 118 times
Been liked: 103 times

Postby Zelezny Chucks » Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:10 am

Just out of curiousity, is there any evidence to suggest responsible use of illicit substances is detrimental to health/society?

Before you all jump down my throat make note of the word responsible. Anything can be detrimental to health if used irresponsibly.

Kane Cornes is a flog*

*needed to tie it back into the topic somehow and how better than the truth.
Zelezny Chucks
League - Best 21

Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 68 times
Grassroots Team: Morphett Vale

Postby heater31 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:13 am

Zelezny Chucks wrote:Just out of curiousity, is there any evidence to suggest responsible use of illicit substances is detrimental to health/society?

Before you all jump down my throat make note of the word responsible. Anything can be detrimental to health if used irresponsibly.

Kane Cornes is a flog*

Define responsible use of illicit substances......most illicit substances are highly addictive and this is where the issues begin.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

Postby Q. » Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:15 am

heater31 wrote:
Zelezny Chucks wrote:Just out of curiousity, is there any evidence to suggest responsible use of illicit substances is detrimental to health/society?

Kane Cornes is a flog*

Define responsible use of illicit substances......most illicit substances are highly addictive and this is where the issues begin.

Most aren't. It's a long list.
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby Zelezny Chucks » Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:43 am

Are drugs addictive? It isn't the drug they are craving it's the feeling they get with the use of the drug, if you could replace that exact feeling by a legal and safe means then I have no doubt a vast majority would do it.

So is there evidence that responsible use causes harm? I don't know it is a genuine question.
Zelezny Chucks
League - Best 21

Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 68 times
Grassroots Team: Morphett Vale

Postby Dogwatcher » Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:15 pm

Zelezny Chucks wrote:Are drugs addictive? It isn't the drug they are craving it's the feeling they get with the use of the drug, if you could replace that exact feeling by a legal and safe means then I have no doubt a vast majority would do it.

So is there evidence that responsible use causes harm? I don't know it is a genuine question.

I doubt it. Alcohol is legal and gives you something akin to that feeling.
People will always look for something different.
You're my only friend, and you don't even like me.
Dogwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 1425 times
Been liked: 1152 times
Grassroots Team: Elizabeth

Postby Q. » Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:16 pm

Zelezny Chucks wrote:Are drugs addictive? It isn't the drug they are craving it's the feeling they get with the use of the drug, if you could replace that exact feeling by a legal and safe means then I have no doubt a vast majority would do it.

Some drugs create a physical dependence. Caffeine, alcohol, opioids etc
Q.
Coach

Postby MW » Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:21 pm

The only responsible use of illicit substances is when perscribed by a dr

Can't we get back to the topic of Kane being a media whore and a sell out?
MW
Coach

Has liked: 2602 times
Been liked: 1845 times

Postby Q. » Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:26 pm

MW wrote:The only responsible use of illicit substances is when perscribed by a dr

it's possible to irresponsibly use prescription drugs. it's possible to responsibly use illicit drugs.
Q.
Coach

Postby MW » Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:28 pm

Q. wrote:
MW wrote:The only responsible use of illicit substances is when perscribed by a dr

it's possible to irresponsibly use prescription drugs. it's possible to responsibly use illicit drugs.

Yes true re. perscription drugs, but that is up to the user and dr who perscribes it should be able to see through that. The bit about illicit drugs is horseshit.
MW
Coach

Postby Q. » Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:32 pm

MW wrote:
Q. wrote:

Yes true re. perscription drugs, but that is up to the user and dr who perscribes it should be able to see through that. The bit about illicit drugs is horseshit.

Far, far from it. But you can't be objective about this, so not much point in continuing.
Q.
Coach

Postby Rik E Boy » Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:45 pm

therisingblues wrote:Sorry REB, when you said "That's our job", I took it from the perspective of you being a father with kids.

All good mate. One thing we can all agree on is that there are no easy answers.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1698 times
Been liked: 1818 times

Postby test » Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:46 pm

MW wrote:
Q. wrote:

Both of your points above are waaaay off the mark.
test
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 143 times
Been liked: 31 times
Grassroots Team: Wallaroo

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:55 pm

MW wrote:
Q. wrote:

Does one smoke that?
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4344 times
Been liked: 7921 times

Postby MW » Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:57 pm

Q. wrote:
MW wrote:
Q. wrote:

Far, far from it. But you can't be objective about this, so not much point in continuing.

1. Perscription drugs are regulated and perscribed by a dr to relieve symptoms or fix issues
2. Illicit drugs are made in backyard sheds and only taken to get high.

Not sure what I am missing here
MW
Coach

Postby MW » Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:57 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
MW wrote:
Q. wrote:

Does one smoke that?

Today of all days, why not
MW
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:17 pm

MW wrote:
Today of all days, why not

Probably taste crap.