Aus. v NZ - Test Series / Shaun Marsh Appreciation Thread

First Class Cricket Talk (International and State)

Re: Aus. v NZ - Test Series / Shaun Marsh Appreciation Threa

Postby heater31 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:11 am

Alaska wrote:
Booney wrote:Whilst the whole event can only be deemed a raging success and I thoroughly enjoyed my day there on Friday, does anyone else feel a Test that's over in less than three days with no side making 250 be considered a success for the game itself? I mean, pink ball, under lights etc?

This Test was run to be the testing ground for this format to make changes to "save Test cricket" around the world ( remember it wasn't for Adelaide as we show up regardless ) and I'm not sure a 3 day game will really inspire other nations to take the format and run with it.

It might be a good thing, Adelaide might be the one and only place to hold them. That's great for us!

I agree Booney those that came up with the idea from the ICC and wanted to try it came out, stated before it began that if it was over in less than three days it would be deemed a failure.

Thought was was the Kookaburra rep when talking about the performance of the ball?

Still not convinced about the concept but as it was pointed out by Andrew Faulkner in the Australian Newspaper today don't forget to take the novelty factor.....over in 3 days and no player has really given decent honest feedback regarding batting under lights.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

Postby Mr Beefy » Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:17 am

Booney wrote:Whilst the whole event can only be deemed a raging success and I thoroughly enjoyed my day there on Friday, does anyone else feel a Test that's over in less than three days with no side making 250 be considered a success for the game itself? I mean, pink ball, under lights etc?

This Test was run to be the testing ground for this format to make changes to "save Test cricket" around the world ( remember it wasn't for Adelaide as we show up regardless ) and I'm not sure a 3 day game will really inspire other nations to take the format and run with it.

It might be a good thing, Adelaide might be the one and only place to hold them. That's great for us!

3 day games seem to be the norm in India.
Mr Beefy
Coach

Has liked: 406 times
Been liked: 651 times
Grassroots Team: Rosewater

Postby Booney » Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:18 am

Absolutely, novelty factor would account for 30,000 or more over the 3 days. Didn't hurt that we had absolutely perfect weather each and every day with no sign of 35° or rain at any point.

It could be an Adelaide thing, day night Test matches, but will it be the savior for Test match cricket around the world as it was expected? Time will tell. Again, as noted earlier, Tubby Taylor might be right, perhaps 4 day matches moving forward with day/night fixtures.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7481 times
Been liked: 10770 times

Aus. v NZ - Test Series / Shaun Marsh Appreciation Thread

Postby Jim05 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:23 am

heater31 wrote:
Alaska wrote:

I agree Booney those that came up with the idea from the ICC and wanted to try it came out, stated before it began that if it was over in less than three days it would be deemed a failure.

Thought was was the Kookaburra rep when talking about the performance of the ball?

Still not convinced about the concept but as it was pointed out by Andrew Faulkner in the Australian Newspaper today don't forget to take the novelty factor.....over in 3 days and no player has really given decent honest feedback regarding batting under lights.

Regarding feedback from players, I had a breakfast function with a former Shield player yesterday and he mentioned that CA has put a gag order on the players and they are not to speak out about the pink balls. Several players had huge issues with it
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3552 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby whufc » Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:25 am

Like others agree Adelaide made this a success and it definately has potential

But imho there is still a lot of question marks especially considering I would consider myself a bit of a traditionalist when it comes to test cricket.

I wasn't a fan of how completely different the ball reacted from the day and then night, it was almost like each day is played in two completely different halves.

Have played in a few t20 recently where we have used pink balls (obviously not to the same standard of the test balls) but did the fielding aspect a lot tougher with the link ball. It felt to be a lot harder than the red ball and despite having 20/20 vision I found the pink ball hard to catch as for someone it came more as a blur/flash and the outline was hard to pick up.

Once again not sure how close the kookaburra pink balls we were using are to the test balls but I think Lyon coming on later than expected to bowl was due to the ball. I opened the bowling with my mmmmmm offies (being kind to my self) and it was almost impossible to grip the pink ball and try and turn one, it was very slippery
Last edited by whufc on Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5585 times
Been liked: 2526 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Q. » Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:27 am

Jim05 wrote:Several players had huge issues with it

Pretty obvious that Steve Smith couldn't see the bloody thing at slip.
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby heater31 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:28 am

Jim05 wrote:
heater31 wrote:
Alaska wrote:

Regarding feedback from players, I had a breakfast function with a former Shield player yesterday and he mentioned that CA has put a gag order on the players and they are not to speak out about the pink balls. Several players had huge issues with it

Hence why I'm stressing the feedback from players must be taken into account. Similar stories from blokes who have actually played games under this format and they were very unenthusiastic about it without saying it was shit!
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

Postby The Bedge » Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:43 am

whufc wrote:Have played in a few t20 recently where we have used pink balls (obviously not to the same standard of the test balls) but did the fielding aspect a lot tougher with the link ball. It felt to be a lot harder than the red ball and despite having 20/20 vision I found the pink ball hard to catch as for someone it came more as a blur/flash and the outline was hard to pick up.

Once again not sure how close the kookaburra pink balls we were using are to the test balls but I think Lyon coming on later than expected to bowl was due to the ball. I opened the bowling with my mmmmmm offies (being kind to my self) and it was almost impossible to grip the pink ball and try and turn one, it was very slippery

Yep totally agree with this, I've found the same - we played a T20 under lights last week, and I struggled to pick up the ball when I was batting until it was well out of the bowlers hand - first few balls just was a coloured blur.. then when the ball was travelling along the ground I couldn't pick it up at all.. and I also thought they felt a lot harder than a normal ball..

.. except unlike you I can still rip em square :P
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3192 times
Been liked: 3995 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:47 am

whufc wrote:Have played in a few t20 recently where we have used pink balls (obviously not to the same standard of the test balls) but did the fielding aspect a lot tougher with the link ball. It felt to be a lot harder than the red ball and despite having 20/20 vision I found the pink ball hard to catch as for someone it came more as a blur/flash and the outline was hard to pick up.

I've found that they seem to drop in the air quicker than a red ball, if you get what I mean.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4344 times
Been liked: 7921 times

Postby whufc » Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:02 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:

I've found that they seem to drop in the air quicker than a red ball, if you get what I mean.

I wonder if they are slightly heavier!!!
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5585 times
Been liked: 2526 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby mal » Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:04 am

Its all about $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ at times
Not always about the players , the guys that create the entertainment
Whats the reason for playing pink ball day/night tests , is it about swelling up crowd attendances in Test Cricket ?

" Every now and then you get a ball you dont see and that puts a bit of doubt in your mind."
Thats what Chris Rogers has said in todays press

Mark Cosgrove said he couldnt see/or had trouble seeing some deliveries by Mitchell Starc in the night time SA V NSW Shield match this season

So there is 2 opinions more or less on the safety of playing at night

For every action there might be reaction
What will happen if a batsman gets hit , and then claims he had trouble seeing the ball ?
Then we might have reaction

As for me, I really enjoyed the pink ball day night test , but the players safety are my concerns
mal
Coach

Has liked: 1149 times
Been liked: 903 times

Postby FlyingHigh » Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:11 am

Not sure we can really conclusively say much about the day-night test given the conditions were so "un-Adelaide" - was the 3 days caused by the night, pink ball, green pitch or relatively cool conditions?
Did the 40-minute later rest and cooling evening, rather than the last session dragging on in the arvo, help bowlers, aside from anything to do with the pink ball? Might it mean less higher-scoring last sessions when we are traditionally used to seeing batsmen get on top? Days are starting at the time that batsmen are usually starting to get on top.
On the first day, thought NZ's tactics were influenced by being unsure about batting at night and identified the middle session as when to "make hay", but this lead to their downfall - in hindsight though it never was an easy wicket to bat on.
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 174 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:37 am

whufc wrote:
I wonder if they are slightly heavier!!!

It's like they have a more "dead" weight, I'm only speaking through playing probably 15 to 20 games with them and seeing people drop catches that are normally safe hands, I have found that when you are under the ball, it seems to get to you quicker on it's way down.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:45 am

FlyingHigh wrote:Not sure we can really conclusively say much about the day-night test given the conditions were so "un-Adelaide" - was the 3 days caused by the night, pink ball, green pitch or relatively cool conditions?
Did the 40-minute later rest and cooling evening, rather than the last session dragging on in the arvo, help bowlers, aside from anything to do with the pink ball? Might it mean less higher-scoring last sessions when we are traditionally used to seeing batsmen get on top? Days are starting at the time that batsmen are usually starting to get on top.
On the first day, thought NZ's tactics were influenced by being unsure about batting at night and identified the middle session as when to "make hay", but this lead to their downfall - in hindsight though it never was an easy wicket to bat on.

I'm glad that we didn't have another batsman dominated test in Adelaide, I'm glad that we got the experience to make history, I'm glad that town was abuzz on the weekend but I'm skeptical that it is a winner for all concerned.
Certainly for the public it was great but unfortunately money and innovation is bigger than the game nowadays.
On another note, I see the official attendance for yesterday was a smidgen under 34K, that really seemed like a croc, I was in a corporate suite in the Eastern Stand and the upper deck appeared empty from the limited view I had of it, there was also many gaps in the Riverbank stand.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby carey » Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:50 am

The back of the members was packed out all day
you've gota keep on keep'n on .........
carey
Coach

Has liked: 2802 times
Been liked: 2989 times
Grassroots Team: Paralowie

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:58 am

carey wrote:The back of the members was packed out all day

Thought it might have been, it's quite funny how many people go to the cricket and don't watch the cricket.
Did you go to the cas Saturday night?
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby FlyingHigh » Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:59 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
FlyingHigh wrote:Not sure we can really conclusively say much about the day-night test given the conditions were so "un-Adelaide" - was the 3 days caused by the night, pink ball, green pitch or relatively cool conditions?

I'm glad that we didn't have another batsman dominated test in Adelaide, I'm glad that we got the experience to make history, I'm glad that town was abuzz on the weekend but I'm skeptical that it is a winner for all concerned.
Certainly for the public it was great but unfortunately money and innovation is bigger than the game nowadays.
On another note, I see the official attendance for yesterday was a smidgen under 34K, that really seemed like a croc, I was in a corporate suite in the Eastern Stand and the upper deck appeared empty from the limited view I had of it, there was also many gaps in the Riverbank stand.

Certainly agree that is was better than having a test completely dominated by the batsmen, but don't think we want a test like this to become the "norm" where making hundreds is almost unheard-of - but due to day-night, or the conditions? An ideal test would have been 100 more runs in all innings, taking a extra session each, to lunchtime tomorrow.

Also agree it was great to be a part of history and the crowd and atmosphere. As a cricket lover, not really fussed one way or the other about the day-night part.

On the crowd, thought that figure fitted in with the previous days, but I was surprised those days were so high.
FlyingHigh
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 81 times
Been liked: 174 times

Postby Grahaml » Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:00 pm

I think you've got to say it was a success. The conditions were good enough for batting that sides could score 200. was probably the first time in a long time that there was no real clear change in the conditions. As close to a fair contest as you can get. The fact it was done and dusted in 3 days is disappointing but given the raft of differences I don't think it was unreasonable. No doubt it was a tad on the too tough side batting wise, but not a lot. The batsmen will learn a lot from this and had they another one next week, I'm sure we'd have seen higher scores.
Grahaml
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 169 times

Postby norwood8 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:01 pm

carey wrote:The back of the members was packed out all day

Was lining up at the bar on saturday night and the bloke behind me says to his mate "do you actually want to go watch a couple of overs?". Apparently these had only seen two overs live all day :lol:.

Was a brilliant event that no one could have done better than Adelaide in my opinion.

The tension, the drama, the buzz, the crowd, the atmosphere. It was all happening at the Adelaide Oval.
norwood8
Under 18s

Has liked: 85 times
Been liked: 95 times
Grassroots Team: OSB Lonsdale

Postby Jim05 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:22 pm

Will be interesting to see much money the SACA make or lose from the test. Would conservatively think maybe 10-20,000 tix already pre sold for the two days to be refunded that's a fair bit of coin to hand back. The real winner will be the C9, sounds like their ratings were through the roof
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3552 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Cricket