Grade Cricket

Local cricket is the go here. Any talk about local comps, grade cricket, etc.

Re: Grade Cricket

Postby Eagles2014 » Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:06 am

heater31 wrote:
Tony Clifton wrote:Is it definitely Woodville, Port Adelaide and West Torrens that are the three being looked at? I heard Woodville, Port and Prospect.

Either way it sucks. I hate the thought of losing a club and don't believe it will be the panacea for a stronger grade competition anyway.

I really wish SACA had made the smart call and got rid of University. It is just so blindingly simple. Leaves us with 12 clubs, 11 rounds, every club with a metro and country zone, every club with juniors. Uni could continue to exist in Adelaide Turf, the same as the Blacks Football Club play in the amateur league.

The dumbest thing ever was the country zoning. Prospect had been struggling for a while - they got given Broken Hill! Not many cricketers and about an 8 hour drive. Port struggling for longer - they got Eyre Peninsula! Just a 6 hour drive. Neither club gets any benefit from their country zone. The clubs with strong metro zones should have been given the smaller, far flung country areas. The clubs with the weaker metro zones should have got the larger, closer country zones. It would have helped balance the competition.

Merging two western suburbs clubs will simply make Grange, Woodville Rechabite, Flinders Park... stronger.

Southern Districts/Northern Districts is a different issue altogether. South Australian cricket needs both clubs to be strong however the dynamic has changed in the northern and southern suburbs. Used to be a strong cricket culture - now urban sprawl, more migrant families, social issues, lower participation in cricket.

It's defiantly WT, Woodville & Port. Andrew Capel, Nick Benton and Aaron Sayers are all having a whinge on Twitter this morning.

Throughout this whole mess we have been getting mixed messages from West Torrens. Depending on who you speak with the club was looking at a Merger or no they will stay as they are.

Yes the simple solution is to relegate University to the ATCA but I bet the SACA were scared off by the threat of Supreme Court injunctions.....

It is a very difficult situation for everyone involved. The Board at WT have been unified in their decision all along to try and do everything possible to survive on its own with no merger. The President may have had different views, but as someone that has been involved in the Club for 60 years, he probably has the right to voice his opinions.

The SACA Board have gone about this very secretively, I just hope we don't have to go thru this whole process, with countless hours of work by volunteers, when they have already made up their minds!!
Eagles2014
Veteran

Has liked: 126 times
Been liked: 527 times

Postby The Hound » Thu Dec 10, 2015 3:36 pm

Very unfortunate for WT but me thinks their previous commentary in their annual reports (available online) about SACA may have come back to bite them.
The Hound
Reserves

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 35 times

Postby Eagles2014 » Thu Dec 10, 2015 4:22 pm

The Hound wrote:Very unfortunate for WT but me thinks their previous commentary in their annual reports (available online) about SACA may have come back to bite them.

That's a fair call Hound, the Club has certainly had to speak to our President about his editorials, as they would no doubt upset thin skinned people at the SACA. As he produces our Magazine and Annual report, and prints it, etc, we don't get to see it till it is all printed. Have cringed once or twice reading some things he has written!
Eagles2014
Veteran

Postby daysofourlives » Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:31 pm

Why doesnt grade cricket and ATCA merge?
Have 8 teams in the top grade with promotion/relegation, everyone keeps their identity. The best players from outside those top 8 teams will move to one of the top 8 clubs.
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2424 times
Been liked: 1660 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby Tony Clifton » Fri Dec 11, 2015 1:03 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Tony Clifton wrote:Is it definitely Woodville, Port Adelaide and West Torrens that are the three being looked at? I heard Woodville, Port and Prospect.

Either way it sucks. I hate the thought of losing a club and don't believe it will be the panacea for a stronger grade competition anyway.

I really wish SACA had made the smart call and got rid of University. It is just so blindingly simple. Leaves us with 12 clubs, 11 rounds, every club with a metro and country zone, every club with juniors. Uni could continue to exist in Adelaide Turf, the same as the Blacks Football Club play in the amateur league.

The dumbest thing ever was the country zoning. Prospect had been struggling for a while - they got given Broken Hill! Not many cricketers and about an 8 hour drive. Port struggling for longer - they got Eyre Peninsula! Just a 6 hour drive. Neither club gets any benefit from their country zone. The clubs with strong metro zones should have been given the smaller, far flung country areas. The clubs with the weaker metro zones should have got the larger, closer country zones. It would have helped balance the competition.

Merging two western suburbs clubs will simply make Grange, Woodville Rechabite, Flinders Park... stronger.

Southern Districts/Northern Districts is a different issue altogether. South Australian cricket needs both clubs to be strong however the dynamic has changed in the northern and southern suburbs. Used to be a strong cricket culture - now urban sprawl, more migrant families, social issues, lower participation in cricket.

The Jets need to lose their "who you are" attitude, it's very off-putting seeing some of the kids they select vs ones that get overlooked.

Interesting to hear that.

I remember speaking to someone from the Jets and they were talking about how their juniors used to be the strongest and they always had a heap of kids in junior state teams. He said it was as simple as having a couple of switched on parents (I think it was Mick Pascoe and Pat Cosgrove that he mentioned but I can't really remember) who had kids coming through the system themselves and they knew who all the good junior players were in the Para Districts competition and who the best players were at Trinity College. They made sure all these kids came out to the Jets, so they always got the best players. Now it's left to chance a bit.
This is Tony Clifton! A name to respect! A name to fear!
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Has liked: 1462 times
Been liked: 244 times
Grassroots Team: Adelaide University

Postby Tony Clifton » Fri Dec 11, 2015 1:09 am

Eagles2014 wrote:
The Hound wrote:Very unfortunate for WT but me thinks their previous commentary in their annual reports (available online) about SACA may have come back to bite them.

That's a fair call Hound, the Club has certainly had to speak to our President about his editorials, as they would no doubt upset thin skinned people at the SACA. As he produces our Magazine and Annual report, and prints it, etc, we don't get to see it till it is all printed. Have cringed once or twice reading some things he has written!

Surely that's nothing to do with it? Everyone slags off SACA and the Redbacks!

It would be a shame if West Torrens were one of the clubs to go. They are everything a grade club should be. They are the benchmark in many ways given that they've been successful with a pretty small junior zone and a small country zone. Plus girls teams up and running. Other clubs should be looking at how West Torrens run things and follow suit - not shut them down!

If the end result is Port & Woodville merging and West Torrens getting a larger zone then that would be a better result. Nothing against Port and Woodville but I just think West Torrens is one club that functions really well from top to bottom.
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:48 am

Tony Clifton wrote:Interesting to hear that.

I remember speaking to someone from the Jets and they were talking about how their juniors used to be the strongest and they always had a heap of kids in junior state teams. He said it was as simple as having a couple of switched on parents (I think it was Mick Pascoe and Pat Cosgrove that he mentioned but I can't really remember) who had kids coming through the system themselves and they knew who all the good junior players were in the Para Districts competition and who the best players were at Trinity College. They made sure all these kids came out to the Jets, so they always got the best players. Now it's left to chance a bit.

Depends on what era you're referring to, it got better when someone of the ilk that you're talking about took over but it dropped off again.

I'm not bitter and I've never been a fan of the place but I've seen so many kids slip through the system out there in my 15 years of coaching juniors, I'm done with them now, I should've taken him to Prospect as their coach asked us out there, next season it will be Port, Prospect or TTG.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4347 times
Been liked: 7937 times

Postby The Bedge » Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:50 am

Congrats LM on little Ms LM making her A grade debut this weekend.. definite proud dad moment! =D> :supz: :partyman:
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3195 times
Been liked: 4018 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:56 am

Zartan wrote:Congrats LM on little Ms LM making her A grade debut this weekend.. definite proud dad moment! =D> :supz: :partyman:

Cheers mate, scary stuff.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby The Bedge » Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:57 am

She'll be fine - future Scorp in the making here 8)
Dolphin Treasure wrote:Your an attention seeking embarsement..
The Bedge
Coach

Has liked: 3195 times
Been liked: 4018 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Dec 11, 2015 10:26 am

Zartan wrote:She'll be fine - future Scorp in the making here 8)

She's only 12 but looks much older, they wont take it easy on her LOL.

I get more nervous watching my kids than what they do.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby The Angry Bull » Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:20 pm

Tony Clifton wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:

The Jets need to lose their "who you are" attitude, it's very off-putting seeing some of the kids they select vs ones that get overlooked.

That's true, I remember dreading seeing Northern's as the upcoming fixture. To be fair the same was with Southern's and WT. They were easily the three stronger clubs in our years coming through the juniors. I believe that Russell Vincent was one of the keys to Southern's junior successes which proves your point, that without a dedicated team of coaches/parents/volunteers your program will fall by the wayside. I know that is something TTG has focused on heavily for the past half decade and maybe more (in juniors and seniors) and we are now reaping the benefits. There would have been a period there between 06-10 that we could have possibly faced the chopping block if results were the key indicator as I believe we were close to bottom of all grades with the exception of our B grade after losing the core of our senior playing group in 04-05/05-06
The Angry Bull
Under 16s

Has liked: 50 times
Been liked: 11 times
Grassroots Team: Central Augusta

Postby Tony Clifton » Fri Dec 11, 2015 1:00 pm

Yeah Russell Vincent at Southerns and also Gordon Carey (Alex's dad) who was a gun junior coach.

Gordon got snapped up by Glenelg and his sons went with him.
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

Postby heater31 » Fri Dec 11, 2015 1:19 pm

Tony Clifton wrote:Yeah Russell Vincent at Southerns and also Gordon Carey (Alex's dad) who was a gun junior coach.

Gordon got snapped up by Glenelg and his sons went with him.

All is not well down at Southern in the juniors. We have picked up a few in the past few years due to disgruntled parents with how things are run. Certainly not the Parents thinking their sons are better than they actually are. Our 2 recent one are both in State Squads!

If you want well run Junior Programs look at Kensington and West Torrens.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

Postby Eagles2014 » Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:24 am

Anyone at the TTG 20/20 last night. Heard Travis Head hit a ball which hit a Uni player in head an looked quite serious. Anyone confirm what actually happened and how the player is? See Head got out cheaply so may have affected him you would think.
Eagles2014
Veteran

Postby heater31 » Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:30 am

Eagles2014 wrote:Anyone at the TTG 20/20 last night. Heard Travis Head hit a ball which hit a Uni player in head an looked quite serious. Anyone confirm what actually happened and how the player is? See Head got out cheaply so may have affected him you would think.

Nope but further to that the Southern v Adelaide was a 4 ball debacle.......apparently a freak thunderstorm passed over Christies Beach about lunchtime, pitch uncovered.

SACA maybe able to reschedule if both clubs want to.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

Postby Senor Moto Gadili » Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:28 pm

Eagles2014 wrote:Anyone at the TTG 20/20 last night. Heard Travis Head hit a ball which hit a Uni player in head an looked quite serious. Anyone confirm what actually happened and how the player is? See Head got out cheaply so may have affected him you would think.

I arrived just after the game re-started. Apparently Travis Head clipped a ball behind square and it got between the fielders hands who was about 40 metres from the bat. Game was delayed for 45 minutes while he was attended to and then reduced to 15 overs each. I think TTG made 169 off their 15 overs.
Senor Moto Gadili
Veteran

Has liked: 206 times
Been liked: 532 times

Postby Arry Gablett » Wed Dec 16, 2015 5:38 pm

Tony Clifton wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:

not sure this is the attitude they have now, my lad missed trial due to SANFL footy commitments, is more than good enough to play under 14 at the this clubhowever they did not even want to see him after we offered to go to training for them to have a look, seemed like those in charge are just wanting their own kids to play, and my lad is miles in front of these lads in local cricket,
Not a positive experience and one that has not got us keen to pursue future involvement
Arry Gablett
Under 16s

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 46 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Dec 17, 2015 7:21 am

Arry Gablett wrote:
not sure this is the attitude they have now, my lad missed trial due to SANFL footy commitments, is more than good enough to play under 14 at the this clubhowever they did not even want to see him after we offered to go to training for them to have a look, seemed like those in charge are just wanting their own kids to play, and my lad is miles in front of these lads in local cricket,
Not a positive experience and one that has not got us keen to pursue future involvement

Pretty much what goes on.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Tony Clifton » Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:34 am

Para Districts used to be stronger too though. I remember at those junior carnivals (CUSA Cup?) that Para Districts used to destroy all the other associations. Now they are one of the weakest. I know they've lost a couple of clubs to the Barossa but it seems that numbers/standard has dropped?

Or has it just improved in the other associations?
Tony Clifton
League - Top 5

PreviousNext

Board index   Other Sports  Regional Cricket Comps