General discussion/predictions - in lead up to 2016 season

Talk on the national game

Re: General discussion/predictions - in lead up to 2016 seas

Postby woodublieve12 » Fri Dec 11, 2015 7:43 am

Jim05 wrote:
westozfalcon wrote:I'm surprised at the predictions for Port to be in the mix for honours next year.

What's changed that will trigger such a turnaround from last season?

Adding Dixon plus having one of the softest draws in the comp. Should easily win enough games to finish in a good spot

Dixon = the final piece of the puzzle :lol:
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3025 times
Been liked: 2401 times

Postby Booney » Fri Dec 11, 2015 7:54 am

woodublieve12 wrote:
Jim05 wrote:
westozfalcon wrote:I'm surprised at the predictions for Port to be in the mix for honours next year.

Adding Dixon plus having one of the softest draws in the comp. Should easily win enough games to finish in a good spot

Dixon = the final piece of the puzzle :lol:

I think almost all football watchers would have expected more from Port in 2015, I think almost all football watchers would agree Port should bounce back with vigor in 2016 to make up for the disappointment of 2015 and most would agree the cattle is already there, with Dixon added, Ryder set to be more comfortable in his role, plenty of upside.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7494 times
Been liked: 10780 times

Postby Ruben Carter » Fri Dec 11, 2015 8:20 am

westozfalcon wrote:Some thoughts of mine:

With Scott Selwood and Paddy Dangerfield added to their squad Geelong will be dramatic improvers. I'm tipping Selwood to be reinvigorated and be back to near his best of around 2011-12.

Essendon will improve under the tough, no-nonsense approach of John Worsold and be knocking on the door of the 8.

I'm not sure about Don Pyke as a senior coach; an astute assistant but for mine lacks the mettle to be the main man. I reckon the Crows will drop out of the 8 under him.

On the coaching front I reckon Hardwick, Leppitsch and Buckley will be looking for new work at, or possibly even before, season's end.

Buckley knockers have been tipping his sacking since he took over from Malthouse. The reality is, he's done a very good rebuilding job - I think the Magpies will make the 8 next season & then continue to improve after that with Buckley still in charge.
If you don’t like my words, don’t listen. If you don’t like my appearance, don’t look. If you don’t like my actions, turn your head; It’s as simple as that.
Ruben Carter
Reserves

Has liked: 121 times
Been liked: 75 times
Grassroots Team: Westminster OS

Postby Magellan » Fri Dec 11, 2015 8:28 am

Booney wrote:I think almost all football watchers would have expected more from Port in 2015, I think almost all football watchers would agree Port should bounce back with vigor in 2016 to make up for the disappointment of 2015 and most would agree the cattle is already there, with Dixon added, Ryder set to be more comfortable in his role, plenty of upside.

Yep, I was one of those who thought Port would take the next step this year. Think they'll be up there in the top 4 in 2016.

What's the future for Jay Schulz, with Dixon now on board and Ryder presumably floating around in the forward line as well? Some Port aficionados I know were of the view he'd be put out to pasture.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby Booney » Fri Dec 11, 2015 8:33 am

Ruben Carter wrote:
westozfalcon wrote:Some thoughts of mine:

With Scott Selwood and Paddy Dangerfield added to their squad Geelong will be dramatic improvers. I'm tipping Selwood to be reinvigorated and be back to near his best of around 2011-12.

Essendon will improve under the tough, no-nonsense approach of John Worsold and be knocking on the door of the 8.

I'm not sure about Don Pyke as a senior coach; an astute assistant but for mine lacks the mettle to be the main man. I reckon the Crows will drop out of the 8 under him.

On the coaching front I reckon Hardwick, Leppitsch and Buckley will be looking for new work at, or possibly even before, season's end.

Buckley knockers have been tipping his sacking since he took over from Malthouse. The reality is, he's done a very good rebuilding job - I think the Magpies will make the 8 next season & then continue to improve after that with Buckley still in charge.

8-3 the last two years and missed finals.

Under Buckley - 4th, 6th, 11th, 12th....

I think they're on the right path, but clubs finishing in the bottom of that middle group tend to need a couple of years or a couple of big name recruits to bring them to the top again. I'm not sure the 'Pies have any of that, just yet. They still rely heavily on Pendlebury and Swan, Cloke and White can be hit and miss and Grundy and Witts are still learning their craft.

I think they'll be around the 10+/- wins again this year.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby valleys07 » Fri Dec 11, 2015 8:33 am

woodublieve12 wrote:
Jim05 wrote:

Dixon + a fit Polec = Crucial to our title hopes

FTFY.
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

HOGG Shield 2015 Division I Premiers.
HOGG Shield 2017 Premier League Premiers.
valleys07
Coach

Has liked: 767 times
Been liked: 1169 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby valleys07 » Fri Dec 11, 2015 8:35 am

Magellan wrote:
Booney wrote:I think almost all football watchers would have expected more from Port in 2015, I think almost all football watchers would agree Port should bounce back with vigor in 2016 to make up for the disappointment of 2015 and most would agree the cattle is already there, with Dixon added, Ryder set to be more comfortable in his role, plenty of upside.

Yep, I was one of those who thought Port would take the next step this year. Think they'll be up there in the top 4 in 2016.

What's the future for Jay Schulz, with Dixon now on board and Ryder presumably floating around in the forward line as well? Some Port aficionados I know were of the view he'd be put out to pasture.

Due to the fact he will no longer be the number #1 target, I think he will benefit.

Still kicked 44 goals last season, where most people would say he had a fairly lean season last year without access to his numbers.
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

valleys07
Coach

Postby Booney » Fri Dec 11, 2015 8:41 am

Magellan wrote:

It's another year of learning for the Port forward half. Clearly Westhoff was out of whack last year with the addition of Ryder to the forward half, it often had Westhoff and Schulz uncertain on when to go up or back, now we've added Dixon it's another work in progress.

Schulz isn't the one on the outer for mine, Lobbe is. Ryder clearly flourished late in the year when he was allowed to lead the ruck division. I think there's no question that that is his best role, not the chop out ruckman / forward he was for the first half of the year.

I think Ryder leads the ruck, Dixon and Schulz play as the key forwards and the mobile 6'10" Westhoff plays the link man, like a Lynch at Adelaide type role. Westhoff is a key man for mine next year, he commands a key defender in the air but can outrun, cover more ground than the typical key defender assigned to him. He can have a big year with Schulz and Dixon taking the best two defenders. That also gives us Westhoff, Dixon and Trengove as cut out for Ryder.

The scrapping of the sub changes things a little, but I can't help but think Lobbe will be hard pressed to get a regular gig. Schulz is safer than Lobbe, IMHO.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Magellan » Fri Dec 11, 2015 8:44 am

From what I see of Port (admittedly not a lot) Schulz is someone you couldn't afford not to have. Excellent set of hands, takes contested marks, and an absolute dead-eye dick for goal.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:24 am

Magellan wrote:From what I see of Port (admittedly not a lot) Schulz is someone you couldn't afford not to have. Excellent set of hands, takes contested marks, and an absolute dead-eye dick for goal.

You were right in your first half a sentence.

All of what you described was 2014 Schulz, he really had a well below average season in 2015, I was a big fan of him but he was a huge disappointment.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4346 times
Been liked: 7921 times

Postby Rik E Boy » Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:50 pm

Booney wrote:
Magellan wrote:

It's another year of learning for the Port forward half. Clearly Westhoff was out of whack last year with the addition of Ryder to the forward half, it often had Westhoff and Schulz uncertain on when to go up or back, now we've added Dixon it's another work in progress.

Schulz isn't the one on the outer for mine, Lobbe is. Ryder clearly flourished late in the year when he was allowed to lead the ruck division. I think there's no question that that is his best role, not the chop out ruckman / forward he was for the first half of the year.

I think Ryder leads the ruck, Dixon and Schulz play as the key forwards and the mobile 6'10" Westhoff plays the link man, like a Lynch at Adelaide type role. Westhoff is a key man for mine next year, he commands a key defender in the air but can outrun, cover more ground than the typical key defender assigned to him. He can have a big year with Schulz and Dixon taking the best two defenders. That also gives us Westhoff, Dixon and Trengove as cut out for Ryder.

The scrapping of the sub changes things a little, but I can't help but think Lobbe will be hard pressed to get a regular gig. Schulz is safer than Lobbe, IMHO.

Question. When is Westhoff ever 'In Whack'? A seriously underwhelming footballer. Port's Jack Watts.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1698 times
Been liked: 1818 times

Postby Booney » Fri Dec 11, 2015 1:03 pm

Completely disagree. Much better than Watts will ever be and I'm in no doubt one of those players in the competition that opposition supporters don't appreciate as much as the people who see them week in, week out. Having said that, he is frustrating and I think has more to offer than we have seen in the last 2-3 years.His best chance to really prosper this year, as noted above, as the third tall.

( Career averages 15.8 disposals, 5.8 marks, 1.3 goals, 2.5 tackles LOL - Watts - 15.8,5.1,0.7,1.9 )
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Rik E Boy » Fri Dec 11, 2015 1:18 pm

Booney wrote:Completely disagree. Much better than Watts will ever be and I'm in no doubt one of those players in the competition that opposition supporters don't appreciate as much as the people who see them week in, week out. Having said that, he is frustrating and I think has more to offer than we have seen in the last 2-3 years.His best chance to really prosper this year, as noted above, as the third tall.

( Career averages 15.8 disposals, 5.8 marks, 1.3 goals, 2.5 tackles LOL - Watts - 15.8,5.1,0.7,1.9 )

I think those stats support my point of view but yeah I expected you to leap to the Hoff's defence. If 'third tall' is all you can offer after all these years then that is extremely Watts like IMO. He is much stronger than he was during his promising debut season but he is yet to grab the competition by the balls and I certainly thought he had the potential to do that once he acquired some strength to that once lean frame.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1698 times
Been liked: 1818 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Fri Dec 11, 2015 1:34 pm

Rik E Boy wrote:
Boney wrote:Completely disagree. Much better than Watts will ever be and I'm in no doubt one of those players in the competition that opposition supporters don't appreciate as much as the people who see them week in, week out. Having said that, he is frustrating and I think has more to offer than we have seen in the last 2-3 years.His best chance to really prosper this year, as noted above, as the third tall.

I think those stats support my point of view but yeah I expected you to leap to the Hoff's defence. If 'third tall' is all you can offer after all these years then that is extremely Watts like IMO. He is much stronger than he was during his promising debut season but he is yet to grab the competition by the balls and I certainly thought he had the potential to do that once he acquired some strength to that once lean frame.

regards,

REB

I'm with Boney on this one, my concern is the huge difference between his best and worst football.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4346 times
Been liked: 7921 times

Postby Booney » Fri Dec 11, 2015 1:36 pm

Westhoff was never going to grab the competition by the balls. You might have over estimated him, I think.

The last 3 years his averages are over 18 touches, 6 marks and 1.4 goals. If your third tall gets those numbers, he's doing his job. However, he had one year ( 2010 ) with real help up front ( Tredrea and Schulz ) and will prosper next year I think.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Ruben Carter » Fri Dec 11, 2015 1:48 pm

Hoff's best is hard to beat, his worst? Let's just say he's no orphan, but it needs some work. I'd still pick him in my team every week. :D
If you don’t like my words, don’t listen. If you don’t like my appearance, don’t look. If you don’t like my actions, turn your head; It’s as simple as that.
Ruben Carter
Reserves

Has liked: 121 times
Been liked: 75 times
Grassroots Team: Westminster OS

Postby woodublieve12 » Fri Dec 11, 2015 1:54 pm

valleys07 wrote:
woodublieve12 wrote:
Jim05 wrote:

Dixon + a fit Polec + kissed on the d*ck draw = Crucial to our title hopes

FTFY.

FTFY ;)
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Postby valleys07 » Fri Dec 11, 2015 2:30 pm

You what, Wubbsy?

We lost to ****ing Brisbane and Carlton last year- what favours is the draw going to give us?

Please.

valleys07
Coach

Postby woodublieve12 » Fri Dec 11, 2015 3:14 pm

valleys07 wrote:You what, Wubbsy?

We lost to ****ing Brisbane and Carlton last year- what favours is the draw going to give us?

Please.

lighten up Valleys...

you should finish at least in the top 6 with that draw and the list you have...
woodublieve12
Coach

Postby valleys07 » Fri Dec 11, 2015 3:29 pm

woodublieve12 wrote:
valleys07 wrote:You what, Wubbsy?

Please.

lighten up Valleys...

you should finish at least in the top 6 with that draw and the list you have...

Point is we didn't make the Top 8 in 2015 after being touted as a potential Grand Finalist.

Easy draw? No such thing for Port Adelaide after the tripe we dished up at stages last season.

valleys07
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL