Restaurant & Pub Reviews

Anything!

Re: Restaurant & Pub Reviews

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:13 am

The Dark Knight wrote:Coopers Alehouse

Yet again my 600gm Chicken Snitty with Hawaiian topping was perfection. BUT it only gets a 9.5/10 because of the old chips under the Schnitzel trick FFS. Yes it's a big Schnitzel but there enough was enough room on the plate to put at least half the chips I got on the side of the schnitzel.

Anyway, washed down with a couple of Celebration Ales. Love it.

I must get back there
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11840 times
Been liked: 3598 times

Postby Magellan » Sat Dec 12, 2015 3:26 pm

wristwatcher wrote:Buckingham Arms tonight.

A family Favourite for 40 years.

Cost 3 of us $69 with the voucher.

My plate/bowl breakdown was as follows...
- 4 types of chickens - all good
- Roasts - excellent
- Cold meats and salads - very good with a kick ass Ceaser salad
- prawns and mussels - had better but still solid prawns
- cheese plate and dried fruit - spot on
- crumble and ice cream - how can you go wrong
- cheesecake - tasty
- donut - standard
- coffee - average
- general feeling of unwell - priceless

Got there at 6pm which was a solid plan as there would have been 100-150 by 7.15. Very enjoyable food and company. Great value for money. 9/10

Always plenty to choose from at the Buck, and from memory, it's all pretty good stuff as you say. I tend to be a bit wary of the seafood at these types of buffet joints, though.

BTW, 4 types of chicken, eh - hen, rooster, rubber, and Ernie the Giant Chicken from Family Guy? That'd be worth the admission price alone.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby wristwatcher » Sat Dec 12, 2015 3:59 pm

Magellan wrote:
wristwatcher wrote:Buckingham Arms tonight.

A family Favourite for 40 years.

Cost 3 of us $69 with the voucher.

My plate/bowl breakdown was as follows...
- 4 types of chickens - all good
- Roasts - excellent
- Cold meats and salads - very good with a kick ass Ceaser salad
- prawns and mussels - had better but still solid prawns
- cheese plate and dried fruit - spot on
- crumble and ice cream - how can you go wrong
- cheesecake - tasty
- donut - standard
- coffee - average
- general feeling of unwell - priceless

Got there at 6pm which was a solid plan as there would have been 100-150 by 7.15. Very enjoyable food and company. Great value for money. 9/10

Always plenty to choose from at the Buck, and from memory, it's all pretty good stuff as you say. I tend to be a bit wary of the seafood at these types of buffet joints, though.

BTW, 4 types of chicken, eh - hen, rooster, rubber, and Ernie the Giant Chicken from Family Guy? That'd be worth the admission price alone.

Cacciatore, Fiorentine, Butter Chicken and forgot the other...let's say a nugget as they have those

Agreed on the seafood. Had 9 prawns and a couple of mussels but stayed away from the other 5 or 6 varieties. Did hit up the salta n pepper squid in the main buffet area though.

For $23 after discount when it includes finishing with a coffee and cheese platter....and sundae and donut....and......you can't really go wrong
The PNU Falcs 2005,06,13 x 2,14 and Div 1 Premiers in 2019......The SA 3peat - 2003,04,05
wristwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 845 times

Postby Spargo » Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:16 pm

wristwatcher wrote:Had 9 prawns and a couple of mussels but stayed away from the other 5 or 6 varieties.

:lol: Gold.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5478 times
Been liked: 5119 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:26 am

The Caledonian

There last night for a Xmas dinner

It was really busy and so we were placed in a booth in the cafe section, which we knew when booking. It was quite a spacious booth.
Still received the restaurant service.

Our waitress was superb. Her knowledge was brilliant and the service she provided matched it.

The food was superb which is what we were expecting.

They are in the gold section of the book.

Next year we will be going back midyear so our guests can fully appreciate the experience.

The only downside was the noise level from a table of other punters was quite loud.

However it still is a solid 9/10 and that's why we keep going back.

P's - they never stamp the card so you do go back
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Postby JK » Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:43 am

Have done a review for the Woody before, but just thought I'd add they've now included tasting plates on their menu. The other night the missus and I shared Tandoori Prawns, S&P Squid, Pickled Occy and Squid, Chicken Satays and some Dips. All good quality and the variety was excellent over a beer or 6.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4458 times
Been liked: 2986 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:56 pm

We used 7star to drop us off and pick up.
Driver was early for pick up.
Was really good fun, great sense of humour, quick wit. Will definitely call him for any future needs
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Postby HH3 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:13 am

Was dragged along the the Watermark for the missus's's's work function on Friday night.

What a piece of shit that place is.

First off, I had to pay $32, and don't even get a cup for coke, coz I'm over 14. What a load of shit.

Second, I get stuck at the table right where two tables joined. Very uncomfortable.

Thirdly, I hate buffets. I hate having to go get my own food. I hate standing in a slow moving line, watching disgusting people leaning over my food before I can get to it.

Fourth, the selection wasn't great, and I ended up filling up on chicken nuggets fried rice and spring rolls. There was one good dish (crispy tentacles). I ate one full plate, and then gave up on the hot food.

Fifth, the dessert bar was pretty good. I had two servings. Mixed chocolate pudding, coconut balls, rocky road and warm custard....twice.

Sixth, the place was full of f**kin idiots. Other work functions had people dancing on tables and whooping it up while we were trying to talk. I couldn't hear myself think.

My missus thought my tshirt, shorts and thongs wasn't dressy enough, but when she got in there, she realised I was right when I said its a place for bogans to go at the bay. As soon as we walked in and saw a sea of V8 Supercars polos, she felt overdressed and out of place. Sucker.

So obviously, this isn't gonna be a 10.....

I'd say I'd give it a 2/10. They had spiced rum, and the guy playing guitar in the front bar didn't butcher every song he played (most, but not all).

The Watermark can suck a fat one!
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2433 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby Booney » Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:18 am

HH3 wrote:Was dragged along the the Watermark for the missus's's's work function on Friday night.

First off, I had to pay $32, and don't even get a cup for coke, coz I'm over 14. What a load of shit.

Second, I get stuck at the table right where two tables joined. Very uncomfortable.

Thirdly, I hate buffets. I hate having to go get my own food. I hate standing in a slow moving line, watching disgusting people leaning over my food before I can get to it.

Fourth, the selection wasn't great, and I ended up filling up on chicken nuggets fried rice and spring rolls. There was one good dish (crispy tentacles). I ate one full plate, and then gave up on the hot food.

Fifth, the dessert bar was pretty good. I had two servings. Mixed chocolate pudding, coconut balls, rocky road and warm custard....twice.

Sixth, the place was full of f**kin idiots. Other work functions had people dancing on tables and whooping it up while we were trying to talk. I couldn't hear myself think.

My missus thought my tshirt, shorts and thongs wasn't dressy enough, but when she got in there, she realised I was right when I said its a place for bogans to go at the bay. As soon as we walked in and saw a sea of V8 Supercars polos, she felt overdressed and out of place. Sucker.

I'd say I'd give it a 2/10. They had spiced rum, and the guy playing guitar in the front bar didn't butcher every song he played (most, but not all).

Everything you had hoped for and more.

Any cans on show to ease the pain?

:lol:
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7491 times
Been liked: 10772 times

Postby Booney » Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:20 am

Hilton Hotel - South Rd one, Friday night.

I went the Squid schnitzel and I could not complain about the quality of it. $19.50 and it was as tender as can be, good size, prompt service, questionable company, loads of beers on tap. Nice pub. :lol:

As for a pub meal, the average 7/10. As far as calamari goes, won't get any better.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby HH3 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:28 am

Booney wrote:
HH3 wrote:Was dragged along the the Watermark for the missus's's's work function on Friday night.

Everything you had hoped for and more.

Any cans on show to ease the pain?

:lol:

Not as much as I was hoping. And the angle wasn't ideal. Plus her partner was onto me I think :lol:
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2433 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby Footy Chick » Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:37 am

Booney wrote:Hilton Hotel - South Rd one, Friday night.

I went the Squid schnitzel and I could not complain about the quality of it. $19.50 and it was as tender as can be, good size, prompt service, questionable company, loads of beers on tap. Nice pub. :lol:

As for a pub meal, the average 7/10. As far as calamari goes, won't get any better.

I had the fush and chups. Twas a bit greasy. I ordered my garlic bread with cheese. Came out with no cheese. The pub doesnt sell any pear cider but somersbys so points off there.

Questionable company- absolutely. Although im betting HH3 had chosen us instead :lol:
Don't play games with a girl who can play 'em better...

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Has liked: 1738 times
Been liked: 2146 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:39 am

Footy Chick wrote:

I had the fush and chups. Twas a bit greasy. I ordered my garlic bread with cheese. Came out with no cheese. The pub doesnt sell any pear cider but somersbys so points off there.

Questionable company- absolutely. Although im betting HH3 had chosen us instead :lol:

Sommersby pear cider is the bomb.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4344 times
Been liked: 7921 times

Postby Booney » Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:57 am

Footy Chick wrote:

So I had your garlic bread then....
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Dissident » Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:59 am

Pag wrote:Schnithouse at Elizabeth, doing just as quality work as Rundle St. Different clientele, and had a few teething problems with staff (natural for being only the second day open), but the crumb on the bird is the best anywhere in Adelaide.

Tried this out last weekend. Was excellent! Agreed with the crumbs. Used to frequent this place when it was the Louisiana so it was nice to head back after being closed for so long.

I had the Soprano topping and it was great.
I love 'Food and Stuff'. It's where I buy all of my food. And most of my stuff.
Dissident
Site Admin

Has liked: 110 times
Been liked: 158 times

Postby Footy Chick » Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:47 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Footy Chick wrote:

Blah. Tastes so fake. Many better ones on the market.

Gatt_Weasel wrote:if they (Walkerville) dont win the flag ill run around the block of my street naked :) you can grab a chair and enjoy the view
Footy Chick

Postby Footy Chick » Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:47 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Footy Chick wrote:

Blah. Tastes so fake. Many better ones on the market.

Footy Chick

Postby Lightning McQueen » Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:34 am

Pag wrote:Schnithouse at Elizabeth, doing just as quality work as Rundle St. Different clientele, and had a few teething problems with staff (natural for being only the second day open), but the crumb on the bird is the best anywhere in Adelaide.

Teething problems in Elizabeth? Never.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4344 times
Been liked: 7921 times

Postby Mythical Creature » Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:59 am

Went to Kublai Khan on Glen Osmond Road Monday night with work. Mongolian Resaurant.

Basically you fill your bowl up with meat and vegies and sauces of your choosing, and then the chefs cook it up for you on their hotplate. Can go back as many times as you like which is a good thing. My first bowl wasn't too great, seemed to be lacking sauce and was dry, but my second bowl was much better as I changed it up a bit. I reckon my stir frys at home taste slightly better, so on that alone I thought it was ok to slightly above average.

For desert we had banana, apple and marshmallows with a hot chocolate which they melt in front of you. Once again it was ok.

It was a nice experience and something different, however I probably wouldn't choose to go back if it was up to me. It was probably about a 5.5 out of 10. It gets the .5 because I didn't have to pay for it.
If you don't like it, change it. If you don't want to change it, it can't be that bad!
Mythical Creature
Veteran

Has liked: 189 times
Been liked: 237 times
Grassroots Team: United

Postby wristwatcher » Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:04 pm

Brompton Hotel - Ent book Gold section.

9.5/10.

Simply outstanding in all departments. Will do a full review when on holidays.
The PNU Falcs 2005,06,13 x 2,14 and Div 1 Premiers in 2019......The SA 3peat - 2003,04,05
wristwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 845 times

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  General Discussion