Restaurant & Pub Reviews

Anything!

Re: Restaurant & Pub Reviews

Postby JK » Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:27 pm

Mythical Creature wrote:Went to Kublai Khan on Glen Osmond Road Monday night with work. Mongolian Resaurant.

Basically you fill your bowl up with meat and vegies and sauces of your choosing, and then the chefs cook it up for you on their hotplate. Can go back as many times as you like which is a good thing. My first bowl wasn't too great, seemed to be lacking sauce and was dry, but my second bowl was much better as I changed it up a bit. I reckon my stir frys at home taste slightly better, so on that alone I thought it was ok to slightly above average.

For desert we had banana, apple and marshmallows with a hot chocolate which they melt in front of you. Once again it was ok.

It was a nice experience and something different, however I probably wouldn't choose to go back if it was up to me. It was probably about a 5.5 out of 10. It gets the .5 because I didn't have to pay for it.

Used to love KK, although it sounds as though none of their fare has changed in 20 years
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4460 times
Been liked: 2988 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby JK » Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:28 pm

wristwatcher wrote:Brompton Hotel - Ent book Gold section.

9.5/10.

Simply outstanding in all departments. Will do a full review when on holidays.

From the restaurants and pubs I've been to, this place is a clear standout for mine - Range, quality of food, service and price are all ticked boxes. Hard to fault.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby Mythical Creature » Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:31 pm

JK wrote:
Mythical Creature wrote:Went to Kublai Khan on Glen Osmond Road Monday night with work. Mongolian Resaurant.

Basically you fill your bowl up with meat and vegies and sauces of your choosing, and then the chefs cook it up for you on their hotplate. Can go back as many times as you like which is a good thing. My first bowl wasn't too great, seemed to be lacking sauce and was dry, but my second bowl was much better as I changed it up a bit. I reckon my stir frys at home taste slightly better, so on that alone I thought it was ok to slightly above average.

For desert we had banana, apple and marshmallows with a hot chocolate which they melt in front of you. Once again it was ok.

It was a nice experience and something different, however I probably wouldn't choose to go back if it was up to me. It was probably about a 5.5 out of 10. It gets the .5 because I didn't have to pay for it.

Used to love KK, although it sounds as though none of their fare has changed in 20 years

Or the décor! Also passage way to the toilets is lined with full and empty boxes, then when you get into the toilets its full of empty boxes except for a path to the urinal and another one branching off to the bowl. Could do with a tidy up.
If you don't like it, change it. If you don't want to change it, it can't be that bad!
Mythical Creature
Veteran

Has liked: 189 times
Been liked: 237 times
Grassroots Team: United

Postby Spargo » Wed Dec 16, 2015 2:02 pm

9.5/10.

Holidays?
You actually work.......?
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5483 times
Been liked: 5122 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby wristwatcher » Wed Dec 16, 2015 2:19 pm

Spargo wrote:

9.5/10.

Holidays?
You actually work.......?

Football is work :) Its just good work.
The PNU Falcs 2005,06,13 x 2,14 and Div 1 Premiers in 2019......The SA 3peat - 2003,04,05
wristwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 845 times

Postby JK » Thu Dec 17, 2015 7:58 am

After some decent reviews on here, decided to check out the Lighthouse last night.

Hadn't been there for 20+ years, since Kutchy had it .. Place looks miles different than it did on the end of season footy pub crawls back in the early 90's. They've done a fantastic job of keeping that old Port feel, whilst also jazzing the place up a bit.

Missus had a Parmy, I had Schnitz with Pepper, kids had a serve of Nuggets and Chips each. Add a Lemonade, Apple Juice and Large bottle of sparkling water and it came to $45 after Ent Book discount. Excellent value imho.

Schnitz was solid (not great but not bad in any way either). Some of the other meals they were carrying out looked awesome.

Happy to go back there again.

6.5/10
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby HH3 » Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:12 am

Its nothing flash, but consistently good, cheap food. We went there Tuesday night for our weekly visit.

The schnittys look a bit small, but they're thick. Any bigger and I wouldn't be able to get through it.

When you go back, grab some onion rings as a starter. They're awesome!

Only thing missing is their alcoholic sarsaparilla they had before it was bought by Heidi.
I TOLD YOU SO

2013/14 NFL Tipping Comp Champion
HH3
Coach

Has liked: 3301 times
Been liked: 2433 times
Grassroots Team: North Haven

Postby JK » Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:18 am

Im a sucker for Onion Rings, wish I'd seen them. That said Im not a big eater and struggled with my Schnitz as it was
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:20 am

JK wrote:After some decent reviews on here, decided to check out the Lighthouse last night.

Hadn't been there for 20+ years, since Kutchy had it .. Place looks miles different than it did on the end of season footy pub crawls back in the early 90's. They've done a fantastic job of keeping that old Port feel, whilst also jazzing the place up a bit.

Missus had a Parmy, I had Schnitz with Pepper, kids had a serve of Nuggets and Chips each. Add a Lemonade, Apple Juice and Large bottle of sparkling water and it came to $45 after Ent Book discount. Excellent value imho.

Schnitz was solid (not great but not bad in any way either). Some of the other meals they were carrying out looked awesome.

6.5/10

Damn, I was meant to go there last night with the girls from cricket, spewing.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4346 times
Been liked: 7921 times

Postby JK » Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:47 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
JK wrote:After some decent reviews on here, decided to check out the Lighthouse last night.

6.5/10

Damn, I was meant to go there last night with the girls from cricket, spewing.

You weren't one of the party of 10 that had booked a table but didn't rock up?
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:54 am

JK wrote:

Was there a group of loud women who started in the front bar and then proceeded to the dining area around 6:30?
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby JK » Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:13 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
JK wrote:

Was there a group of loud women who started in the front bar and then proceeded to the dining area around 6:30?

There was a large group of mostly women at a looooong table. My missus, being the people watcher she is, was trying to work out which company they were from.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby Lightning McQueen » Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:19 am

JK wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:
JK wrote:

There was a large group of mostly women at a looooong table. My missus, being the people watcher she is, was trying to work out which company they were from.

Port Adelaide Cricket Club, what was the woman/man ratio?
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby JK » Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:02 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
JK wrote:
Lightning McQueen wrote:
JK wrote:

Port Adelaide Cricket Club, what was the woman/man ratio?

About 4 or 5 to 1 Id say bud
FUSC
JK
Coach

Postby Brodlach » Sun Dec 20, 2015 12:15 pm

Elder Park Cafe

Had breakfast there this morning with 7 others, the bacon and sausage some of the best I have eaten (and that is a lot). Great coffee too. Well worth a visit if going to the Adelaide Oval
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4216 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

Postby Gozu » Sun Dec 20, 2015 1:07 pm

Another fine dining experience at the Pancake Kitchen enjoyed the German Feast with Irish coffee once again :)
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 660 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:24 am

Gozu wrote:Another fine dining experience at the Pancake Kitchen enjoyed the German Feast with Irish coffee once again :)

It is good value hey? Very filling too for the $14.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Postby Q. » Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:19 pm

Popped in to NOLA on Saturday night.

They have an extensive range of craft beers/ciders/ginger beers (bottled and tapped) and a small menu based on New Orleans styled dishes.

We shared plates of meatballs, fried chicken, corn & bean salad, and rabbit & sausage jambalaya. It was all ******* delicious. Fresh ingredients, dishes bursting with spices and flavour and not too ridiculously priced.

9.5/10 - I took a half a point off because the dishes aren't big, but the price somewhat reflects that.
Q.
Coach

Has liked: 970 times
Been liked: 2396 times
Grassroots Team: Houghton Districts

Postby Gozu » Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:05 pm

Lightning McQueen wrote:
Gozu wrote:Another fine dining experience at the Pancake Kitchen enjoyed the German Feast with Irish coffee once again :)

It is good value hey? Very filling too for the $14.

Very much so I've gone in there a couple of times now thinking I'll do two of them then get halfway through the pancakes accept defeat and end up barely finishing it.
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 660 times

Postby wristwatcher » Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:21 pm

Xmas work show at the Highway. 9 hours of free but responsible drinking. I think the food was good.
The PNU Falcs 2005,06,13 x 2,14 and Div 1 Premiers in 2019......The SA 3peat - 2003,04,05
wristwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 845 times

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  General Discussion