Restaurant & Pub Reviews

Anything!

Restaurant & Pub Reviews

Postby Jim05 » Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:44 pm

bennymacca wrote:
wristwatcher wrote:I reckon there are a few posters who either live near or frequent the Barossa restaurants. I have booked a romantic sexy time holiday in Tanunda for Myself and Mrs Wristy. It shall be more than Wristys on that holiday.

I was surprised to see so many vouchers in the various sections of the entertainment book for Tanunda and the surrounding areas. I don't remember reading many reviews from the area. Does anyone have any recommendations.

Go to 1918. Also expensive, but you wont regret it. Have reviewed it earlier in this thread somewhere

Havent been to ferment asian but have heard excellent things about it.

Saltrams on the way to angaston is also good

Have you been to 1918 recently Benny and if so what was it like?We were regulars there but new owners came in early this year and standard dropped off markedly. Was interested to know if it was just teething problems as we havnt been back since.
Hentley Farm is definately worth a visit, highly recommend
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3552 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Re: Restaurant & Pub Reviews

Postby daysofourlives » Tue Dec 29, 2015 4:24 pm

Company Kitchen at Angaston for lunch is great atmosphere and great food at reasonable prices, very kid friendly with huge area for them to run around, can dine inside or outside
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2423 times
Been liked: 1660 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby bennymacca » Tue Dec 29, 2015 5:52 pm

Jim05 wrote:Have you been to 1918 recently Benny and if so what was it like?We were regulars there but new owners came in early this year and standard dropped off markedly. Was interested to know if it was just teething problems as we havnt been back since.

reckon i went there just before christmas a year ago, as it was for my wife's birthday

daysofourlives wrote:Company Kitchen at Angaston for lunch is great atmosphere and great food at reasonable prices, very kid friendly with huge area for them to run around, can dine inside or outside

+1 for company kitchen.

went there for mothers day once, and the set menu wasnt great - took forever and it was average food. been there maybe 3 other times though and it has been great so prepared to give them a pass
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Jim05 » Tue Dec 29, 2015 6:02 pm

bennymacca wrote:
Jim05 wrote:Have you been to 1918 recently Benny and if so what was it like?We were regulars there but new owners came in early this year and standard dropped off markedly. Was interested to know if it was just teething problems as we havnt been back since.

reckon i went there just before christmas a year ago, as it was for my wife's birthday

daysofourlives wrote:Company Kitchen at Angaston for lunch is great atmosphere and great food at reasonable prices, very kid friendly with huge area for them to run around, can dine inside or outside

+1 for company kitchen.

went there for mothers day once, and the set menu wasnt great - took forever and it was average food. been there maybe 3 other times though and it has been great so prepared to give them a pass

Reckon 1918 changed hands in about April/May. The food wasn't bad but not as nice as previous visits. Service was pretty ordinary. Will go back in a few weeks time and see if it has improved
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3552 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby JK » Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:40 am

Finally got back to the Legtrap/Bartley the other night, and it's pretty decent.

Took a while to decide what to order, because there's plenty on the Menu and specials board, and I pretty much liked all of it (although I hate Mushrooms but the Chef there obviously doesn't).

Seriously I reckon less than 4 minutes after we ordered, the Kids meals were out (1 x Fish n Chips, 1 x Nuggets), the missus hadn't even returned from the Salad Bar.

She had Barra dish which tasted pretty tidy and I went the Seafood Trio. Kids had a juice and Ice Cream each, and the missus and I shared a Sparkling Water.

$50 with the Ent voucher all up which I reckon is a bargain for reasonable food.

Food - OK, not rubbish, not brilliant - To be fair I think I ordered out of habit rather than choosing something to match my mood at the time. Like I said plenty of tasty options though, so look forward to going back.

Room is big, Salad Bar very good, prices reasonable, service excellent, great menu (especially for the kids, with some decent options I hadn't seen elsewhere) and it's Local.

7.5/10 but I can see that rising potentially as high as 9 next time I visit.

Oh - And they have daily specials:

Monday - Build Your Own Burger
Tuesday - Schnitty Night
Wednesday - Steak Night
Thursday - Curry Night
Friday - Seafood (Lunch & Dinner)
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4460 times
Been liked: 2988 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby DOC » Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:15 am

Wristy

The Roaring 40's cafe in Angaston is quite good. Salters at Saltrams has the added advantage of being able to buy your wine at the cellar door and drink it there.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 732 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Postby PatowalongaPirate » Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:22 am

DOC wrote:Wristy

The Roaring 40's cafe in Angaston is quite good. Salters at Saltrams has the added advantage of being able to buy your wine at the cellar door and drink it there.

Won best pizza in Australia. The "Smokey" is an absolute treat.
safooty Melbourne Cup Day Tipping Champion 2018 & 2019 #Back2Back
2018 safooty NFL Tipping Champion
PatowalongaPirate
2022 SA Footy Punter of the Year

Has liked: 449 times
Been liked: 1215 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby DOC » Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:24 am

If that's the one with the variety of Barossa small goods on it then I agree.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 732 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Postby PatowalongaPirate » Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:34 am

That is the one. Even the feta is smoked.

They also do a vindaloo pizza that awakens your senses.
safooty Melbourne Cup Day Tipping Champion 2018 & 2019 #Back2Back
2018 safooty NFL Tipping Champion
PatowalongaPirate
2022 SA Footy Punter of the Year

Has liked: 449 times
Been liked: 1215 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby daysofourlives » Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:20 pm

Roaring 40s is over rated, granted the Smokey pizza is good but at close to $40 it would want to be, dont even consider anything else from the over priced menu
daysofourlives
Coach

Postby daysofourlives » Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:26 pm

Went to the Renmark Hotel over xmas, had the Pork Belly absolutely delish. Salt and Pepper squid was also very good.
Triple treat ice cream also tops, Rum and Raisin, English Toffee and baileys and choc coated scorched almonds
Sevice very good
Woolshed ale's on tap.

Salad and Veg bar looked pretty good, wasnt required after getting through the above.

9.5/10 as far as pub meals go

Also went to the Woolshed Sunday for the wood fired Pizza and music.
Might have had a couple quite ciders too.
Great location, views and atmosphere
daysofourlives
Coach

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Wed Dec 30, 2015 4:04 pm

Mrs wanted to go to TGIF on Monday for lunch and they had a 10% surcharge for the Public Holiday

Potatoe skins for the entrée - had them previously where they were filled to the max, well it seemed you pay 10% extra for 60% less

we both ordered burgers and a side of Onion rings

my burger the patties were on the dry side, however the Mrs loved her burger and the taste I had of it, it was quite juicy.

Chips seemed to be the best thing I had!

so we went from $90 down to $60 with the Ent voucher

the service, I thought was a little ordinary, considering they refill your glass, but the waiter looking after us (manager) walked past us numerous times and saw my empty glass on the edge of the table, it took for me with a mouthful of food and burger in hand to try and grab his attention.

I give it a 5/10

I told the Mrs that since she does like a burger, that I will be taking her to all the burger joints that have been mentioned on here to use as a comparison against TGIF.
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11852 times
Been liked: 3601 times

Postby wristwatcher » Sat Jan 02, 2016 12:42 am

1862 Wine Bar and Grill in Mt. Gambier

Started with a pretty standard garlic bread and drinks consisted of water, muscato and I went with Vale Ale.

Mumsy had the vegetarian gnocchi which she said was excellent and did look very good. The Mrs and I skipped lunch to prepare ourselves for the mixed grill share platter.
- Rib eye on the bone
- Slow cooked pork belly
- Lamb rack
- Sticky beef ribs
Served with a big bowl of crunchy slaw, big fat fries, a jug of mushroom sauce and a jug of jus. All very good without being at the absolute highest level.

Ended up taking two take away containers home as there was simply too much food. The dogs gave the place a 10 :)

Service was good well at least she tried hard and was pleasant enough. Meals were not quick but it's not that kind of place so that was fine and it was busy. It's in the Gold Sectionof the ent book so we got Mums meal free. I think it went from $113 down to $93. Very reasonable indeed.

If your in the Mt. with an ent gold card it's definitely worth a visit. Only open between 6-9pm6 days a week. 8.5/10
The PNU Falcs 2005,06,13 x 2,14 and Div 1 Premiers in 2019......The SA 3peat - 2003,04,05
wristwatcher
Coach

Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 846 times

Postby wristwatcher » Sat Jan 02, 2016 8:36 pm

Fasta Pasta Mt. Gambier

On the back of their new advert and campaign where they have you name your price I will put forward my price - F@ck All!!!!

Whilst I appreciate the fact it's a franchise I simply couldn't recommend the place based on my experience.

Service upon entry was the worst I have had in a long time if not ever and I wanted to walk but the family said NO as time was short. She greeted us with yawn and no words . We sat at a dirty table and the same little rude cantankerous bitch who would appear to have been in mid cycle gave it a very begrudging wet wipe with a chux nearly doing all the table. On the plus side we got a booth and I could see the Big Bash.

I placed the order and I received my dry calzone that had only a hint of sauce. It was OK but as Calzones go it was very average. It was big enough and my Mum and wife insisted I start, so I did. Half way through my meal wifey got her Ravioli. I tried it and it was OK but again nothing the average Joe couldn't make themselves. A sign of its flavour was the salt, pepper and Parmesan bath applied to the meal. As I finished my meal Mum got her obviously extremely challenging to make Gnochi Neoplolitana after it sat on the bench and no less than 3 waitresses ignored it. The waitress upon arrival simply whispered the word Gnochi as working out who didn't have an empty plate in front of them was well out of her skill set. Again Mum being polite said she really liked it but we had planned to go and eat a meal together not one at a time. Fair to say it certainly was not Fasta Pasta.

The 3 meals cost $49. The service was appalling. F@ck you Fasta Pasta you just made the SAFooty blacklist 3/10. :evil:
The PNU Falcs 2005,06,13 x 2,14 and Div 1 Premiers in 2019......The SA 3peat - 2003,04,05
wristwatcher
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:03 pm

expecting more than what you can make at home from fasta pasta is expecting too much :D
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby gadj1976 » Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:23 pm

The Coopers Alehouse at Wallaroo.

It was very busy and we ordered pizza ansd chips. The pizza was 23 bucks. We asked for ham and pineapple and the pizza came out cold and sparcely topped. Chips were ok. Way overrated. 2 outta 10.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 796 times
Been liked: 850 times

Postby wristwatcher » Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:34 pm

bennymacca wrote:expecting more than what you can make at home from fasta pasta is expecting too much :D

I didn't have to do the dishes was another bonus.

Cmon Benny in the advert some actor putz says he would pay $125,must be true :lol:
wristwatcher
Coach

Postby JK » Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:50 pm

Angkor Cambodian & Thai food on Woodville Rd.

Small restaurant with the old furniture and pictures on the wall etc, but certainly felt Asian enough (although just being on Woodville Rd does that).

Service is VERY slow .. Given the place doesn't hold many people, we were surprised we didn't receive our meals til about an hour and 20 minutes after ordering. So the food was going to need to be seriously good.

And F*** me it was!

We had:

Chilli/Basil/Lemongrass seafood dish
Thai Green Chicken Curry
Massaman (sp?) Beef Curry
Special Fry Rice
Steamed Rice

And every single one of them was a taste sensation. As enjoyable as any Asiain food i can remember in recent years.

Throw in 2 x Iced Teas and a can of Solo, with the Ent voucher it came to $59.

Even allowing for the extraordinary delay Ive gotta give this an 8.5 just for the quality of food alone.

Highly recommend this one.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4460 times
Been liked: 2988 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:07 am

JK is trying to match Wristy's eating habits by eating out every 2nd night
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11852 times
Been liked: 3601 times

Postby Brodlach » Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:57 am

Kids have been bugging me to take them to San Churro

Flavourless cardboard. 1/10
July 11th 2012....
Brodlach wrote:Rory Laird might end up the best IMO, he is an absolute jet. He has been in great form at the Bloods
Brodlach
Coach

Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 4216 times
Grassroots Team: Colonel Light Gardens

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  General Discussion