There are a lot of my friends thinking of leaving SA.

Anything!

There are a lot of my friends thinking of leaving SA.

Postby Dog_ger2 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:58 pm

It's too hard here.

Queensland...?

Good luck guys.

When I sell up I am going to Victor.

Looking at investment properties.
Dog_ger2
Under 16s

Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 17 times
Grassroots Team: Salisbury North

Re: There are a lot of my friends thinking of leaving SA.

Postby gadj1976 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:08 pm

Dog_ger2 wrote:It's too hard here.

Queensland...?

Good luck guys.

When I sell up I am going to Victor.

Looking at investment properties.

I am too, not seriously though. My mate in IT is also trying to convince his missus to go to Melbourne.

I've told everyone I know that I'm going to tell my kids when they get old enough to move to Vic or Sydney to get ahead in life. Being in Adelaide is akin to committing career suicide.
gadj1976
Coach

Has liked: 795 times
Been liked: 849 times

Postby RustyCage » Thu Jan 07, 2016 8:15 pm

Depends on your career
I'm gonna break my rusty cage and run
RustyCage

Has liked: 1260 times
Been liked: 933 times

Postby Alaska » Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:42 am

If you need a "Head Office" to climb through the ranks do not stay in SA.
2017 and 2018 NFL Fantasy Champion
Alaska
League - Best 21

Has liked: 96 times
Been liked: 64 times

Postby Booney » Fri Jan 08, 2016 8:58 am

It's all relative. Cost of living here is lower than the other states. Me, I wouldn't live in Sydney if you tripled my income. Full of Sydney wankers. Melbourne, maybe, but I hate Melbourne weather. Brisbane, possibly, I like Brisbane. Perth would be my pick, but the boom has come and gone and now Perth is just mega expensive to buy property, eat, shop, etc etc.

Depending on what you do, what your goals are in life, I couldn't think of a better place to live than Adelaide.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby Magellan » Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:08 am

Booney wrote:I wouldn't live in Sydney if you tripled my income. Full of Sydney wankers.

Agreed. Sydney is a pain to get around in. If you live anywhere west of the CBD and want to go to the beach on the weekend then be prepared to spend absolutely all day getting there, finding a park, doing your beachy thing, and the getting home.

Sydney fans will probably beg to differ, but I've always found Sydney to be a bit culturally barren, very different to Melbourne. It's also full of non-Sydney wankers who think Sydney is the place to be simply because it's Sydney, which probably has something to do with the lack of culture.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby woodublieve12 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:28 am

Cost of living is far to expensive in Sydney. I'd definitely need at least 10% more income to keep me there
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3016 times
Been liked: 2384 times

Postby heater31 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:29 am

woodublieve12 wrote:Cost of living is far to expensive in Sydney. I'd definitely need at least 10% more income to keep me there

You will need more than 10% more....
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1259 times

Postby Pseudo » Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:38 am

Booney wrote:It's all relative. Cost of living here is lower than the other states. Me, I wouldn't live in Sydney if you tripled my income. Full of Sydney wankers. Melbourne, maybe, but I hate Melbourne weather. Brisbane, possibly, I like Brisbane. Perth would be my pick, but the boom has come and gone and now Perth is just mega expensive to buy property, eat, shop, etc etc.

Depending on what you do, what your goals are in life, I couldn't think of a better place to live than Adelaide.

^ What he said, almost to the letter.

A few years back I was on a Jetstar flight (which is a peeve in itself, but belongs on another thread) returning from the Sunshine Coast via Sydney. I got stuck next to a couple of overweight boorish yobbos who spent the flight attempting to be funny to each other. The limited conversation I had with one of them went as follows.

Arsehole: Where are you headed?
Me: Adelaide.
Arsehole: Oh, don't get off there.
Me: I live there.
Arsehole: You know what Adelaide is, don't you? Proof Tasmanians can swim.

At which point I smiled politely and gave a token chuckle, resisting the urge to reply with "Well if you don't go to Adelaide then the place has at least one thing going for it". That is a general truth: All the arseholes in the country avoid Adelaide as if it was suffering a plague. Let those chauvinists stay in their Eastern State Shitholes. This goes a long way towards making Adelaide the best city to reside in.
Clowns OUT. Smears OUT. RESIST THE OCCUPATION.
Pseudo
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 1553 times
Grassroots Team: Marion

Postby Magellan » Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:43 am

The best thing to come out of Sydney is the road back to Adelaide.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby Mickyj » Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:53 am

Gotta say at present im not supposed to mention the word that starts with W and ends in K .
I'm told at present they are watching what I say .
It does raise the issue I'm for a better term in the workforce a shit kicker .
Can't get higher where I work I'm about to turn 53
Assuming I'll get back to my job which I've held for 21 and a bit years .
Previously over years I've asked to be moved to another team while still manual shit it's easier on my aging body.
After 20 knock backs 20 different reasons of bull I stopped asking .
So yeah does a 53 to shir kicker stay here
Could he find another crappy job in Melbourne
Does make one think
Cause end of the day as long as the employer pays me it's the only thing that matters and I don't mean 79 cents a week into my super I've got the last two weeks oops not supposed to write that lmao

Yep so could an old shitkicker find work interstate
Land based Lure Bream Fisherman
PB
Hardbody Bream 38cm
Hardbody Mulloway 40cm
Softplastic Bream 38cm
Fly Bream 30cm
Mickyj
Coach

Has liked: 154 times
Been liked: 22 times

Postby Psyber » Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:17 am

In 2008 I had a choice...
I could sell my rather large Federation style house on 4 acres in Olinda and move to a good sized but smaller unit in Melbourne's Southbank, or I could live in the Adelaide hills with space in the house and around me.

Fresh air, koalas in my backyard, Kookaburras calling in the morning, 9 minutes to the Toll Gate, 16 to the CBD (so long as I avoid peak hour - which I can).
Glenelg half and hour away, Semaphore just under an hour, and all my old school and university friends and the pubs, restaurants, and coffee places we meet at relatively nearby.

What's to decide?
EPIGENETICS - Lamarck was right!
Psyber
Coach

Has liked: 103 times
Been liked: 389 times
Grassroots Team: Hahndorf

Postby Pseudo » Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:12 am

Mickyj wrote:Gotta say at present im not supposed to mention the word that starts with W and ends in K .

I'm glad I'm not the only one who gave it up for the New Year! ;)
Pseudo
Coach

Postby Rik E Boy » Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:08 pm

Booney wrote:It's all relative. Cost of living here is lower than the other states. Me, I wouldn't live in Sydney if you tripled my income. Full of Sydney wankers. Melbourne, maybe, but I hate Melbourne weather. Brisbane, possibly, I like Brisbane. Perth would be my pick, but the boom has come and gone and now Perth is just mega expensive to buy property, eat, shop, etc etc.

Good post. I hate Sydney, wouldn't live there full stop. Balmain is a great spot but like I can afford to live in a shoe box. Lively little pocket of Mile End ambience with some great pubs. Good place to visit but no way would I live there. Perth is great but yeah, too expensive for everything and I can see the place going belly up in the next couple of decades. Brisbane, I don't like Brisbane at all and I moved up to Queensland. A poorly designed city with a horrible public transport system. I live in Ipswich which is half country and half city is very Adelaide like in it's ways but it has un-Adelaide like Housing prices. I was astounded to see the price of housing in my home town. I'm not sure how it can be justified when wages and opportunities are more limited.

I am a hundred percent sure I've made the right move for my career, financial prospects and family. I now own a house (well the bank does LOL) and I'm earning nearly triple what I was when I lived in Adelaide although that was 11 years ago now. However, people up here aren't as good as people in South Australia. There is an old saying that Qld is great except for the Qlders and there is an element of truth in that. My best friends are still South Australians with a couple of exceptions. Even my best friends are fellow ex-Croweaters.

I come home quite regularly (not always for happy occasions mind you) and the old burg hasn't changed all that much but it does seem to be a more lively place than it was when everything stopped for ten years after the State Bank Disaster. The new oval, hospital and the development of the University district is all very good and unlike some older South Australians I don't mind what they've done at Glenelg...come on...how often did you all go to Magic Mountain towards the end?

If you are a South Australian I would suggest Melbourne would be the best destination if you wanted to retain some of the Adelaide lifestyle but not put up with Summers full of monsoon like storms, paying through the nose for everything or putting up with pretentious wankers. You've got the right kind of Footy plus any sport or concert event you'd want. Feeling homesick? 700ks a doddle compared to the 2000 I'm looking at.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1697 times
Been liked: 1813 times

Postby Rik E Boy » Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:15 pm

Outsiders always say 'what's there to do in Adelaide'? Adelaide's two strengths are it's people and the fact that the city and surrounds are a hidden secret. The people are Adelaide's strength. Gathering around a Barbie or sinking a few Schooners in the bar and just 'kickNback' and doing things at our own pace or own way. Wankers who bag Adelaide come to town acting all superior and quite rightly the locals don't give them the time of day..thus making Adelaide 'a shithole' because who is going to recommend their favourite haunts to an arsehole? If you come to town with an open mind they simply can't walk away from the city with that attitude. Someone calls Adelaide a hole they are admitting publicly that they are a pretentious arsehole...like Baz Luhrman.

Adelaide shouldn't chase Sydney or Melbourne because all that will get the city is turn it into another Brisbane (don't rate the place at all) which is in fact a junior Sydney. Adelaide would just be a junior Melbourne and risk all it has going for it and still fail to match what Melbourne does already.

regards,

REB
Rik E Boy
Coach

Has liked: 1697 times
Been liked: 1813 times

Postby valleys07 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:00 pm

Rik E Boy wrote:Outsiders always say 'what's there to do in Adelaide'? Adelaide's two strengths are it's people and the fact that the city and surrounds are a hidden secret. The people are Adelaide's strength. Gathering around a Barbie or sinking a few Schooners in the bar and just 'kickNback' and doing things at our own pace or own way. Wankers who bag Adelaide come to town acting all superior and quite rightly the locals don't give them the time of day..thus making Adelaide 'a shithole' because who is going to recommend their favourite haunts to an arsehole? If you come to town with an open mind they simply can't walk away from the city with that attitude. Someone calls Adelaide a hole they are admitting publicly that they are a pretentious arsehole...like Baz Luhrman.

Adelaide shouldn't chase Sydney or Melbourne because all that will get the city is turn it into another Brisbane (don't rate the place at all) which is in fact a junior Sydney. Adelaide would just be a junior Melbourne and risk all it has going for it and still fail to match what Melbourne does already.

regards,

REB

Great posts, REB.
“Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”

HOGG Shield 2015 Division I Premiers.
HOGG Shield 2017 Premier League Premiers.
valleys07
Coach

Has liked: 767 times
Been liked: 1168 times
Grassroots Team: Hope Valley

Postby Mickyj » Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:55 pm

Pseudo wrote:
Mickyj wrote:Gotta say at present im not supposed to mention the word that starts with W and ends in K .

Never actually said I gave it up . Not sure what's totally going on with the W word .
I'm still on the books getting 79 cents a week for my super
More than that I can't say except not on workcover yet seems the insurer has only had since
October 21 or 22 to make a decision. My lawyer isn't happy with that oh the W word now knows I have a lawyer

Me I'm still living a mystery no idea what's going on except I'm still unfit to work due to an accident at a work function I was sober at .
Funny a report says I was drunk paramedics blood test says I was sober

See no one knows I also got PTA that night
PB
Hardbody Bream 38cm
Hardbody Mulloway 40cm
Softplastic Bream 38cm
Fly Bream 30cm
Mickyj
Coach

Been liked: 22 times

Postby Pseudo » Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:57 pm

Mickyj wrote:
Pseudo wrote:

Never actually said I gave it up . Not sure what's totally going on with the W word .

Sorry Micky, that joke seems to have gone over your head. Explanation:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=37515&start=100#p2050433
Pseudo
Coach

Postby Leaping Lindner » Sun Jan 10, 2016 1:59 pm

I never thought I'd leave Adelaide, but left in 1995 to move to Melbourne. Now I couldn't imagine living anywhere else. To me it's like Adelaide but bigger and with more to do :D The only real pain about Melbourne is the traffic, but that's why you have trams.
I visit Perth occasionally due to the in laws being there. Nice place to visit but too many rednecks for this old punk. Brisbane....pass for similiar reasons. And Sydney is best summed up by TISM in this ......... :lol: :lol: (Also we got rid of Kennett ;) )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjU6DAcWAjU
"They got Burton suits, ha, you think it's funny,turning rebellion into money"
Leaping Lindner
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 47 times

Postby Mickyj » Sun Jan 10, 2016 2:26 pm

Pseudo wrote:
Mickyj wrote:
Pseudo wrote:

Sorry Micky, that joke seems to have gone over your head. Explanation:

http://safooty.net/forum/viewtopic.php? ... 0#p2050433

Lol at me seems a lot is at present haha
PB
Hardbody Bream 38cm
Hardbody Mulloway 40cm
Softplastic Bream 38cm
Fly Bream 30cm
Mickyj
Coach