General tv discussion thread - good, bad, axings etc etc

Movies, TV Shows, Fringe, etc.

Re: General tv discussion thread - good, bad, axings etc etc

Postby Magellan » Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:42 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:Watched an episode last night of Making a murderer. Then read an article about how certain facts have been left out of the story so I decided not to bother with it any further

Can you provide a link to the article m_t_79?
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby mighty_tiger_79 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:15 pm

Magellan wrote:
mighty_tiger_79 wrote:Watched an episode last night of Making a murderer. Then read an article about how certain facts have been left out of the story so I decided not to bother with it any further

There are several articles. I will provide links when on the laptop.
Matty Wade is a star and deserves more respect from the forum family!
mighty_tiger_79
Coach

Has liked: 11842 times
Been liked: 3598 times

Postby Gozu » Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:05 pm

the milky bar kid wrote:Ash vs Evil Dead, anyone else get into this?

I've watched the first six episodes, I like it it's probably better than the movies but isn't knock down fantastic.
"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 660 times

Postby Gozu » Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:07 pm

Danger 5 being repeated from the first episode of Season 1 tonight on SBS2 starting at 11:15pm with three episodes back to back :)

The SA produced show is supposedly starting to get a bit of a following in the US due to getting on Netflix.

"The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment" – Warren Bennis
Gozu
Coach

Postby Magellan » Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:13 am

I reckon Danger 5 is well worth a watch. Funny with intentionally lo-fi production values.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:42 pm

mighty_tiger_79 wrote:
Magellan wrote:

There are several articles. I will provide links when on the laptop.

was it this one?

http://www.avclub.com/article/read-damn ... ng--230224

to be honest most of the "evidence" is either conjecture or speculation, in that article at least.

well worth watching and then doing some further reading.

Today I read a fascinating article about the Reid Technique of interrogation, which was definitely used on Brendan Dassey, and almost certainly used on Jay Wilds too (for those that know about serial)

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2013/ ... nterview-7
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Magellan » Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:23 am

A couple of shows worth a look on Stan:

"No Activity" - very funny Australian made comedy based around a police stakeout and a series of one-on-one conversations between cops and criminal which are really exercises in Aussie mates bulsh!tting on to each other in Aussie style when there's nothing much happening. Some great local talent that most will have seen elsewhere, such as Patrick Brammall, Darren Gilshenan, Dan Wyllie, and David Field. Muso Tim Minchin and comedian Sam Simmons also pop up too. Only 1 season, 6 episodes, about 25 minutes each. Ideal for lazy Friday night in.

"Deutschland 83" - German made (therefore with subtitles) cold war drama set in 1983 in East and West Germany as things start to heat up as Reagan spouts his "evil empire" rhetoric towards the Soviets and nuclear tensions start to rise. Martin, A talented young East German border guard is 'recruited' to act as a spy over in the west, thanks to his aunt (who works for the STASI or someone similar) who blackmails him by using his ill mother as a bargaining chip. Consequently Martin must adopt a new identity westside and can't make contact with his loved ones back home. Plenty of excitement ensues as he undertakes risky espionage tasks and encounters ethical issues with what he is doing in the madness of his role Germany being at war with itself thanks to the US and USSR. A good one of you're into all that Euro cold war stuff, like "The Lives of Others" (one of the best foreign language films IMHO). Apparently a big hit over in Germany.
Magellan
Coach

Postby JK » Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:22 am

Nursed the mother of all hangovers yesterday, so started and finished Bikie Wars. Im sure people closer to it than me will take issue with aspects of the factual account (and I can't really say much about that because I just plain wouldn't know), but I thought the acting was pretty decent. Knowing no more than the main overview of the story probably made it more interesting, to see what would happen to the multitude of characters.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4458 times
Been liked: 2986 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby bennymacca » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:47 am

Binged on master of none on the weekend, which is the new aziz ansari comedy.

Much better and not at all what I was expecting. Not a silly comedy at all but more a drama/comedy about being a 30 something in New York, settling down, etc
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Magellan » Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:09 am

bennymacca wrote:Binged on master of none on the weekend, which is the new aziz ansari comedy.

Much better and not at all what I was expecting. Not a silly comedy at all but more a drama/comedy about being a 30 something in New York, settling down, etc

I watched the first episode of this on new year's eve (yep, party on Wayne, party on Garth), and I must say I was disappointed by it, so much so that I couldn't be bothered watching any more.

I loved Aziz in 'Parks and Recreation' (and the show itself), but found this a bit too dry and thin on laughs for me. I think if you're into those shows about young adults dealing with the pressures of settling down into middle age and adult life proper, then I'd say it's a show for you. Definitely has a dramatic aspect that I didn't expect, perhaps that's what threw me.
Magellan
Coach

Postby Gozu » Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:23 pm

I just finished watching Season 1 of Ash vs Evil Dead and that ended up being fantastic. I binged watched the last four episodes the other night and once they 'return' to the cabin the show really kicks into gear. Very gory, good humour, great acting but the writing could be improved a touch. I can't wait for Season 2 and I reckon the TV show is even better than the movies.

Although I've given up on The Walking Dead I didn't mind Fear The Walking Dead and just read Season 2 of that is going to start being shown in April.
Gozu
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:39 pm

Magellan wrote:
bennymacca wrote:Binged on master of none on the weekend, which is the new aziz ansari comedy.

I watched the first episode of this on new year's eve (yep, party on Wayne, party on Garth), and I must say I was disappointed by it, so much so that I couldn't be bothered watching any more.

I loved Aziz in 'Parks and Recreation' (and the show itself), but found this a bit too dry and thin on laughs for me. I think if you're into those shows about young adults dealing with the pressures of settling down into middle age and adult life proper, then I'd say it's a show for you. Definitely has a dramatic aspect that I didn't expect, perhaps that's what threw me.

I would agree with that. Worth sticking with though imo, but definitely not a silly comedy.

Maybe I can relate to it given my son is only 3 months old
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Magellan » Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:42 pm

bennymacca wrote:Maybe I can relate to it given my son is only 3 months old

I think that's the kicker right there, since I don't have any children (at least as far as I know).
Magellan
Coach

Postby Sploosh » Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:06 pm

I've had a bit of a binge over the last few weeks and caught up on a few shows I'd been waiting to see.

Fargo Series 2: excellent - 10 out of 10. Really interesting characters and events, cleverly written. I just couldn't figure out why the UFO stuff was there, but I'm sure I just missed the reasons.

Mr Robot : 9 out of 10. I liked it all except I found the Slater character a bit too much. He won an award today though so I'm obviously in the minority.

Utopia Series 1 - the UK show that is a bit science fictiony. 10 out of 10 with gorgeous sets and cinematography and writing that created genuinely original characters. Although it was very hard to warm to some of the main characters who were supposedly goodies, I thought it was truly engaging. Series 2 is already out so I might have to do a bit more binging yet.
Sploosh
Under 18s

Been liked: 5 times

Postby bennymacca » Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:13 pm

Sploosh wrote:Fargo Series 2: excellent - 10 out of 10. Really interesting characters and events, cleverly written. I just couldn't figure out why the UFO stuff was there, but I'm sure I just missed the reasons.

apparently a homage to these incidents

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Val_Johnson_incident

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gorman_dogfight
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Sploosh » Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:25 pm

Wow, thanks for those links. So you think it was included just because the story took place in that area where those incidents also happened to be. Ha ha, I spent a while wondering how it related to the story and I tried to find hidden meanings. Silly me.
Sploosh
Under 18s

Postby bennymacca » Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:30 pm

Sploosh wrote:Wow, thanks for those links. So you think it was included just because the story took place in that area where those incidents also happened to be. Ha ha, I spent a while wondering how it related to the story and I tried to find hidden meanings. Silly me.

oh dont worry, i had the same wonders as you, and i googled it a few weeks ago when it first finished
bennymacca
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:34 pm

apparently also a reference to an old cohen brothers film, "The man who wasnt there" which also contained ufos
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Sploosh » Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:49 pm

Well, that takes care of the only thing from the Fargo series that I was up in the air about, so I maintain that it's definitely a 10 out of 10 show for me.
Sploosh
Under 18s

Postby woodublieve12 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:52 am

How was the Steven avery case not a mistrial after the first week has me baffled...

Finished Ep 6 last night. I feel all I do while watching this show is shake my head
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3025 times
Been liked: 2401 times

PreviousNext

Board index   General Talk  Entertainment