Essendon

Talk on the national game

Re: Essendon 2014

Postby bennymacca » Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:06 am

Booney wrote:Site sponsor, Sportsbet, don't have Essendon in their current betting markets. Not even for their Round 1 clash.

Makes sense until there is clarity as to what their list will look like
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby Grahaml » Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:07 am

To me this is the only decision that could have been arrived at. Sport simply cannot allow ignorance to be a valid defense. Athletes have known since Sam Riley got banned for taking that headache tablet back in the mid 90s to know the legality of what goes into their bodies and being injected with an assortment of random things was more than enough to require them to say no. The only shame is that some players have retired and effectively got away with cheating. I've got no sympathy for the club, the coaches or the players. Dr Reid seems the only one who questioned it and even that wasn't strong enough. The supporters and members are the ones who deserve sympathy. Like Carlton a decade ago, they now face a long road to being able to be proud of their club again.

As for lawsuits, the players will struggle to sue Essendon unless they can show the club deceived them somehow. Port/St Kilda/Bulldogs will also have trouble unless Essendon withheld relevant information.

And I think match payments went a long time ago. Hard to properly manage a salary cap with unknown payments throughout the year.
Grahaml
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 169 times

Postby bennymacca » Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:07 am

Feenix wrote:
Booney wrote:I don't believe this can be appealed. Is that right, Jim?

I've read that they can appeal through the Swiss Federal Tribunal as CAS is located in Switzerland

Only about the judicial process, not about the results, so from what I have read this is unlikely.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:11 am

Grahaml wrote:
And I think match payments went a long time ago. Hard to properly manage a salary cap with unknown payments throughout the year.

Not true at all, scroll down to page 63.

Would think almost all players would have some sort of triggers in their contract for games played, even the top players wouldn't get paid as much if they miss a whole season.

http://www.aflplayers.com.au/wp-content ... -FINAL.pdf
bennymacca
Coach

Postby whufc » Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:35 am

-
Last edited by whufc on Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5591 times
Been liked: 2531 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby whufc » Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:36 am

Grahaml wrote:To me this is the only decision that could have been arrived at. Sport simply cannot allow ignorance to be a valid defense. Athletes have known since Sam Riley got banned for taking that headache tablet back in the mid 90s to know the legality of what goes into their bodies and being injected with an assortment of random things was more than enough to require them to say no. The only shame is that some players have retired and effectively got away with cheating. I've got no sympathy for the club, the coaches or the players. Dr Reid seems the only one who questioned it and even that wasn't strong enough. The supporters and members are the ones who deserve sympathy. Like Carlton a decade ago, they now face a long road to being able to be proud of their club again.

As for lawsuits, the players will struggle to sue Essendon unless they can show the club deceived them somehow. Port/St Kilda/Bulldogs will also have trouble unless Essendon withheld relevant information.

They with held they were guilty, is that relevant enough.
whufc
Coach

Postby Booney » Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:37 am

Grahaml wrote:To me this is the only decision that could have been arrived at. Sport simply cannot allow ignorance to be a valid defense. Athletes have known since Sam Riley got banned for taking that headache tablet back in the mid 90s to know the legality of what goes into their bodies and being injected with an assortment of random things was more than enough to require them to say no. The only shame is that some players have retired and effectively got away with cheating. I've got no sympathy for the club, the coaches or the players. Dr Reid seems the only one who questioned it and even that wasn't strong enough. The supporters and members are the ones who deserve sympathy. Like Carlton a decade ago, they now face a long road to being able to be proud of their club again.

Nah, not like Carlton at all. **** Carlton. :lol:
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7494 times
Been liked: 10781 times

Postby Magellan » Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:42 am

Grahaml wrote:As for lawsuits, the players will struggle to sue Essendon unless they can show the club deceived them somehow.

I think Essendon will also rely on the fact that Zaharakis opted out of the program and faces no sanction, arguing that the players voluntarily accepted the risk of participating in the program.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby whufc » Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:42 am

From what i understand alot of player match payments/ extra incentives are done via club performance.

Ala BOG adjudged by the club gets $1k . 2nd best $500, 3rd best $250. So the club knows each game $1750 is needed in the salary cap.

Those figures are made up but my understanding is it similar structures to that which players get incentives etc from.
whufc
Coach

Postby whufc » Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:42 am

Magellan wrote:
Grahaml wrote:As for lawsuits, the players will struggle to sue Essendon unless they can show the club deceived them somehow.

I think Essendon will also rely on the fact that Zaharakis opted out of the program and faces no sanction, arguing that the players voluntarily accepted the risk of participating in the program.

Elliott Kavanagh who is now at Centrals also opted out of the program.
whufc
Coach

Postby am Bays » Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:46 am

Interesting article which highlights the differences between teh AFL tibunal case held prior to the 2015 and this one.

Players allegedly not declaring they're having injections when being drug tested during 2012 (up to 18 times) :shock: :shock: .

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/essendon-cas-verdict-players-entitled-to-be-angry-but-shouldnt-be-surprised-20160111-gm3ojr.html
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 164 times
Been liked: 1812 times

Postby Magellan » Tue Jan 12, 2016 11:49 am

whufc wrote:Elliott Kavanagh who is now at Centrals also opted out of the program.

Yep, him too!

Is that all who refused to participate? The more who said no, perhaps the better for the Bombers.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby DOC » Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:03 pm

Who says any club is allowed to get extra players because some of their players are banned. Was ST Kilda allowed an extra player when SAAD was banned?

Essendon have enough players to field a side. They do not have enough left for a reserves side (perhaps).
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 732 times
Been liked: 2087 times

Postby Spargo » Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:18 pm

whufc wrote:
Magellan wrote:

So did Dustin Fletcher.
2017 safooty NFL tipping champ
2024 champ, Spargo’s Good Friday Cup @ Ascot

I’ll wait for an angel, but I won’t hold my breath
‘Magine they’re busy, think I’m doin’ ok…
Spargo
Coach

Has liked: 5487 times
Been liked: 5126 times
Grassroots Team: Sacred Heart OC

Postby Robran » Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:20 pm

Gotta fill for worsfold but I guess he New what he was walking into..
GO THE COCKS
The mighty cocks 2018 premiers
Robran
League - Best 21

Has liked: 209 times
Been liked: 189 times

Essendon 2014

Postby Sharksta » Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:22 pm

Interesting to see Paul Marsh from AFLPA criticising the AFL for endorsing the WADA code. Everyone knew the rules. Some chose to try & get an advantage by skirting the rules & got caught out. I really don't think to say well we don't like the rules anyway & will talk to the AFL about their WADA involvement is good enough from a body supposed to look after the players interests
Sharksta
Rookie

Has liked: 479 times
Been liked: 68 times

Postby bennymacca » Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:23 pm

Spargo wrote:
whufc wrote:
Magellan wrote:

So did Dustin Fletcher.

Fletcher is named in all the reports as being banned - he and Jobe are actually banned a week longer than the rest because he participated in the international rules
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Jim05 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:26 pm

Sharksta wrote:Interesting to see Paul Marsh from AFLPA criticising the AFL for endorsing the WADA code. Everyone knew the rules. Some chose to try & get an advantage by skirting the rules & got caught out. I really don't think to say well we don't like the rules anyway & will talk to the AFL about their WADA involvement is good enough from a body supposed to look after the players interests

I've argued for many years that the AFL should cut ties with WADA similar to American sports.
WADA's sole job should be policing International sports
Jim05
Coach

Has liked: 1126 times
Been liked: 3553 times
Grassroots Team: South Gawler

Postby woodublieve12 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:43 pm

Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (117.48 KiB) Viewed 423 times
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3026 times
Been liked: 2401 times

Postby woodublieve12 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:44 pm

Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (50.5 KiB) Viewed 419 times
"Fellas, it’s OK to be in pain. It’s OK to hurt. It’s OK to be sad. It’s no longer OK to suffer in silence."
woodublieve12
Coach

Has liked: 3026 times
Been liked: 2401 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL