Dakar 2015, Congratulations Toby Price

Cars, V8 racing, F1 racing, motorbikes, vintage, new, mechanical

Dakar 2015, Congratulations Toby Price

Postby Ian » Sun Jan 18, 2015 2:14 pm

3rd overall, a massive effort especially for a rookie and someone that broke their neck less than 2 years ago, Congratulations Toby!!

Sadly, next to no media coverage of the event or even news articles of his efforts. The best result ever by an Aussie overshadowing Keith boy Andy Caldecott's best effort of 6th outright.

North Adelaide F C : Champions of Aust 1972 : Premiers 1900, 02, 05, 20, 30, 31, 49, 52, 60, 71, 72, 87, 91
Ian

Has liked: 312 times
Been liked: 93 times
Grassroots Team: Lockleys

Re: Dakar 2015, Congratulations Toby Price

Postby Booney » Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:24 pm

Ian wrote:3rd overall, a massive effort especially for a rookie and someone that broke their neck less than 2 years ago, Congratulations Toby!!

Sadly, next to no media coverage of the event or even news articles of his efforts. The best result ever by an Aussie overshadowing Keith boy Andy Caldecott's best effort of 6th outright.

Didn't even see any reports of highlights! Didn't even know it was on!

Well done to the lad. Should be more newsworthy considering the prestige of the event and a podium finish.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby cracka » Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:11 am

Ian wrote:3rd overall, a massive effort especially for a rookie and someone that broke their neck less than 2 years ago, Congratulations Toby!!

I think another South Australian, Andy Haydon also got a 3rd outright years ago, or maybe it was just a 3rd in a stage.
cracka
Veteran

Has liked: 458 times
Been liked: 560 times
Grassroots Team: Onkaparinga Valley

Postby Ian » Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:09 pm

cracka wrote:

I think another South Australian, Andy Haydon also got a 3rd outright years ago, or maybe it was just a 3rd in a stage.

I think you're right cracka, 3rd outright as a privateer on a KTM with no mechanic to back him up in about 1996 or 97,
IIRC the KTM factory team were so impresed they helped him out a bit later in the event
North Adelaide F C : Champions of Aust 1972 : Premiers 1900, 02, 05, 20, 30, 31, 49, 52, 60, 71, 72, 87, 91
Ian

Postby Ian » Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:14 pm

Just checked on google, it was 1998 he was 3rd outrightt,

Andy had stage wins in Stages 8 & 13, 2nd in Stage16 and a 3rd in Stage 11
Ian

Postby cracka » Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:48 pm

Doing well again, currently 3rd after stage 5 & less than 2 minutes from the leader.
cracka
Veteran

Postby Ian » Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:09 am

Stage 1
cancelled

Stage 2
1 Price (AUS) KTM (overall 1st after Stage 2)
2 Faria (PRT) Husqvana
3 Duclos (FRA) Sherpa TVS

Stage 3
1 Benavises (ARG) Honda
2 Goncalves (PRT) Honda
3 Meo (FRA) KTM

36 Price (Aus) KTM (over all 9th after Stage 3)

Stage 4
1 Goncalves (PRT) Honda
2 Benavises (ARG) Honda
3 Faria (PRT) Husqvana

6 Price (AUS) KTM (over all 9th after Stage 3)

Stage 5
1 Price (AUS) KTM (overall 3rd after Stage 5)
2 Svitko (SVO) KTM
3 Walkner (AUT) KTM

Stage 6
1 Price (AUS) KTM
2 Walkner (AUT) KTM
3 Goncalves (PRT) Honda

Stage 7 (shortened due to conditions)

1 Meo (FRA) KTM
2 Benavises (ARG) Honda
3 Goncalves (PRT) Honda

5 Price (AUS) KTM

Stage 8
1 Price (AUS) KTM
2 Goncalves (PRT) Honda
3 Quintanilla (CHL) Husqvarna

Currently sitting in 1st overall
Ian

Postby Ian » Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:13 am

Currently leading Stage 9
Ian

Postby Booney » Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:10 pm

Dakar 2016 - Stage Nine - Controversy reigns as Price finishes all of stage but organisers call it a day at checkpoint two due to heat concerns. Thus Price had extended his lead out to almost half an hour, but organisers are doing the rankings from checkpoint two, which brings Toby's lead back to only a fraction of what he had managed to build today.

Dakar Stage Nine Report by Trevor Hedge

Dakar Stage Nine saw yet another victory for Toby Price. If not for organisers calling a premature halt to proceedings, due to a number of not well enough conditioned competitors suffering the effects of heat exhaustion, Price’s overall lead would have blown out to nearly half-an-hour after the second timed special section.

Price’s competitors somewhat saved by the intervention of race control when they cancelled the event’s times from checkpoint two onwards, cutting Price’s lead, provisionally, back to seven-minutes over Honda South America rider Kevin Benavides and Slovenian KTM rider Stefan Svitko for the stage.

Stage nine marked Price’s fifth stage victory in Dakar 2016, the most stage victories of any Australian across Dakar history.

Toby Price - “I haven't heard too much on the navigation and it all as yet on the stage. We've got through pretty good. We made a couple of little mistakes around the 100-km mark. We got a little bit lost but luckily we found the way point and got ourselves back on track and going again. Other than that, we've had a fairly decent day, a fairly solid day. It was just good that we didn't get lost. It was definitely tricky navigation today. I still feel solid, I still feel really good. It's definitely hot right now at the moment, but we'll suit up again, get going, get some air flowing and it shouldn't be too bad. It's been a good day, I can't complain. I get to the finishing line and then they cancel the rest of it… That's a bit of a shame, but that's the way it is. We'll just have to wait and see and see what call they come up with. It's a bit of a bummer for me… I have to get to the finishing line and I've done that, but they've called it. I guess that's just the way it is. It's job done today, but everyone's got lucky since we've stopped at CP1 and CP2. We'll see if it will be all good. The bike seems really good, really strong and still going really well. The mechanics have done a really good job over the lead-up to the race and during the event. I think we're cruising along alright, so we can't complain. For the lead over Paulo, maybe; maybe not... we'll just have to wait and see for the decision”.

Price’s main rival throughout Dakar 2016 thus far has been Portuguese Honda rider Paulo Goncalves. A mistake on stage nine, that catapulted Goncalves over the bars, had seen the 36-year-old recover well but lost ground to Price. On Tuesday’s stage ten Goncalves CRF450 Rally suffered a punctured radiator, just what you need when temperatures in the dunes were registering 45-degree celsius. A branch had managed to puncture his radiator and only a few kilometres later, predictably, the CRF went silent and ground to a halt. Team-mate Paolo Ceci then towed Goncalves to checkpoint two.

Goncalves stopped at checkpoint two to try and affect some running repairs and when the day’s proceedings were then cancelled, the Honda man has been thrown a significant lifeline. But with this a marathon stage, riders are not permitted to receive any outside mechanical assistance, only that of his teammates. Thus, it is questionable if Goncalves will be able to proceed when stage ten gets underway on Wednesday morning.

Wolfgang Fischer - Team HRC Team Manager - “Today we have experienced one of the most incredibly hard days in the Dakar, maybe the hardest in the history of the Dakar until now, with a situation of extreme temperatures that have affected the normal development of the stage. Paulo, fortunately, continues to be in the race in spite of a serious setback before the refuelling. A log pierced the radiator and the coolant leaked out. With the heat that there was, he arrived extremely overheated at refuelling and wouldn’t have been able to carry on if it hadn’t been for the race authorities’ decision to stop the stage at CP2, which means Paulo keeps his possibilities of continuing open. He was helped by his team-mate Paolo Ceci to make it back to the bivouac and there they will attempt to repair the bike so that he can start tomorrow and continue his adventure in this Dakar. Tomorrow there will be a new starting system although the organization hasn’t yet given us the information about what the order will be, but we believe that there will be various cars out ahead of the bikes. It will be especially tough for those who start out from behind.”

Officlal stage and overall times are at this point also not registering Goncalves on the leaderboard. Which certainly adds to the confusion, but we imagine Goncalves will eventually be credited with the time he arrived at the second checkpoint. However, we understand that discussions are taking place as to exactly what point the clock should be officially register as being stopped, thus at this point the stage results, and overall standings, are still somewhat up in the air. The confusion stemming from the fact that when the race was stopped, leading competitors had already completed the entire regulation distance.

While Benavides has been provisionally credited with second on stage, seven-minutes behind Price, the Honda man is now fourth outright, just ahead of KTM’s Antoine Meo and Yamaha’s Helder Rodrigues.

Helder Rodrigues - “I crashed at the beginning and broke my handlebars, but I pushed the same and tried to make it a good day. I think it was a difficult day for everybody. For me it was very difficult with a bike like this trying to push… It was a very hard day. But I finished today and I'm happy to finish one day more on the Dakar. I saw that Paulo had some problems, but I don't know what. I tried to push and tried to get a good result at the finish, but sometimes you crash or make a mistake and it is not possible, but I'm happy: I hung in there and finished the day. The riding today was difficult but today and tonight I'll fix the damage, no problem - it's easy to fix”

Antoine Meo - “It was a hard day. For me it was quite good at the beginning. I made a mistake in the first bit of navigation. I got a piece of tree in the wheel, so I crashed and fell off. I was passing Farrès, but that set me back again. In the second part, I did very well on the navigation, so I was very happy. I passed Farrès and Helder. I was just behind Benavides, so it was quite good. But it's like this, they stopped the stage early because it was very hot. I'm still in one piece and the bike is okay, so I'm hoping for better tomorrow… I think in the Dakar you also need to be lucky. For Paolo Gonçalves , I don't think he was lucky. He got a piece of tree in the radiator and lost the water, something that never usually happens. I think you need to have a bit of luck. At the moment, I'm lucky. The bike is working well and still in one piece so that's important”.

Husqvarna rider Pablo Quintanilla on Tuesday delivered another strong performance in stage nine of the 2016 Dakar Rally to finish fourth. He is currently in third place overall with just four stages to go to the finish in Argentina’s Rosario.

Pablo Quintanilla - “For sure, today was a really hard stage. From the beginning there was a lot of navigation a lot of off-piste with dunes and vegetation. For sure, the heat was important today, so I think the race has been stopped at CP2 because the heat was too much. Let's see how I finish today. I saw Paulo at CP1 and I think he had a problem with his bike. I think he crashed and broke something off the bike. The Dakar is like this, you know. You have to take care always until the last kilometre. I was trying to ride regularly, trying to push with confidence and not take many risks. It's important to take care of the bike and take care of the body by avoiding crashes. We still have some stages in front of us and we have to try and be regular. I feel really good, I have confidence and I'm really happy with the bike and with the team. The team did an awesome job, so I'm really happy”.

The stage, the shortest in this year’s rally, was not only tough off-piste riding with plenty of rocks and low scrub, but riders also had to contend with extreme heat and difficult navigation. It was a significant contrast to the fast but relatively straightforward stages in the first week of competition, but organisers had promised that conditions would get harder as the race progressed.

On Wednesday riders must tackle the notorious Fiambalá dunes in a stage that could be decisive in this year’s edition. What awaits them is a total distance of 561km from the overnight bivouac near Belén to La Rioja, including a timed special of 278km. On Wednesday evening they will again have the support of their teams.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7467 times
Been liked: 10755 times

Postby cracka » Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:19 pm

Need to update the title me thinks. What a champ. Broke his neck a couple of years back & now this. Fantastic to see a bit more media coverage & my Facebook getting clogged up with this story.
cracka
Veteran

Postby Booney » Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:40 am

What an effort. Amazing.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach