AFL Academies

All discussions to do with the SANFL

AFL Academies

Postby Millsie89 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:34 pm

This could spell the end of State League comps is the AFL teams get exclusive access to the best kids in all recruiting zones!

afl.com.au/news/2016-02-03/victorian-clubs-handed-afl-funding-for-academies

Read the last paragraph before the list of clubs.
Millsie89
Mini-League

Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 0 time

Re: AFL Academies

Postby Bounce of the ball » Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:40 pm

Well it wont spell the end of state league comps. The problem and the ONLY problem the SANFL has is it accepts money from the AFL to develop SANFL players along with other funding. This is why the AFL licence should have sold for an absolute monty and if the AFL didn't want to buy them , well so be it. Ports debt didn't assist but when you negotiate something and someone wants it, you have a very powerful position. Too much back stabbing and politics behind all of that.
The AAMI stadium money should not go to SANFL clubs, it should be re invested for an income stream for the clubs IMO as ongoing revenue therefore allowing less reliance on the AFL.
Bounce of the ball
Reserves

Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 65 times

Postby Aerie » Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:25 am

A new version of the old zones? Good for the AFL I reckon. Perhaps another dent to the significance of the SANFL? I know at the Eagles they seemed to rate the development of talent through to AFL on par at least with winning a senior premiership. Perhaps the AFL taking over development of the best talent will see a change in thinking. What does/will the SANFL stand for?
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 504 times

Postby Magellan » Thu Feb 04, 2016 8:46 am

Aerie wrote:I know at the Eagles they seemed to rate the development of talent through to AFL on par at least with winning a senior premiership.

Wow. Really? Maybe that philosophy is in place at Prospect. Certainly explains why they've been rubbish over recent times.

Playing devil's advocate, I guess I can see why clubs might take that approach - you'll attract more youngsters into your zone if you're a club that reliably produces AFL talent, which is a positive for the club. But on the flip side, (a) I'm not sure clubs make their talent-producing achievements clear to the public, and (b) the AFL gives not much of a sh!t if you do produce talent. Do the clubs still receive a payment once they play an AFL game? The most publicity that you hear about a player's original club is a passing utterance during the TV commentary.

"The development of talent through to AFL" is an interesting phrase, though. Does this mean the Eagles are happy once a player gets drafted, plays an AFL game, or establishes themselves as a 'regular' AFL player? Plenty go into the system, but not a lot become properly established.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby Booney » Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:05 am

Magellan wrote:
Aerie wrote:I know at the Eagles they seemed to rate the development of talent through to AFL on par at least with winning a senior premiership.

Wow. Really? Maybe that philosophy is in place at Prospect. Certainly explains why they've been rubbish over recent times.

Playing devil's advocate, I guess I can see why clubs might take that approach - you'll attract more youngsters into your zone if you're a club that reliably produces AFL talent, which is a positive for the club. But on the flip side, (a) I'm not sure clubs make their talent-producing achievements clear to the public, and (b) the AFL gives not much of a sh!t if you do produce talent. Do the clubs still receive a payment once they play an AFL game? The most publicity that you hear about a player's original club is a passing utterance during the TV commentary.

"The development of talent through to AFL" is an interesting phrase, though. Does this mean the Eagles are happy once a player gets drafted, plays an AFL game, or establishes themselves as a 'regular' AFL player? Plenty go into the system, but not a lot become properly established.

I can't buy that, not for a moment.

While WWT have an outstanding record of having players drafted to AFL level, I can't believe they would see that as anything close to winning the SANFL Premiership. Might have been a little different when SA based AFL talent was still aligned to their local clubs, teams like the Eagles had quite a few at Adelaide and Port and they would bring experience, work ethic etc to the club and I think set high standards.

On having talent come to your zone, there's no point taking kids just to develop them to the next level, they're gone by the time they're 18 ( the top end talent, anyway ) and you get no service from them at senior level.

Not sure about the draft and any monies paid, Magellan, I'll see if I can find out.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7487 times
Been liked: 10772 times

Postby JK » Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:13 am

Magellan wrote:Do the clubs still receive a payment once they play an AFL game?

Not long ago (ie, within the last 6 months) the SANFL were talking about pooling all income from drafted players and distributing it evenly among the 8 clubs. Im not sure if that's in place, or still being considered etc?
Last edited by JK on Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4458 times
Been liked: 2986 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Magellan » Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:20 am

I would've also thought that a club that regularly produces premiership success (i.e. Centrals in the last decade) would be a better advertisement for attracting up and coming kids (success breeds success, as someone one said), as well as being better for its overall popularity in the community and financial standing. Given the lack of returns for producing talent such an approach seems unsustainable on a number of fronts.

@ Booney - I'm sure a few years back (this could be as far back as the 90s) I heard that the clubs from which a player was drafted was granted a payment from their AFL club once they debuted in a league game, much like a finder's fee. This could easily have been given the ar$e in more recent times.
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Postby Mr Beefy » Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:39 am

Magellan wrote:I would've also thought that a club that regularly produces premiership success (i.e. Centrals in the last decade) would be a better advertisement for attracting up and coming kids (success breeds success, as someone one said), as well as being better for its overall popularity in the community and financial standing. Given the lack of returns for producing talent such an approach seems unsustainable on a number of fronts.

@ Booney - I'm sure a few years back (this could be as far back as the 90s) I heard that the clubs from which a player was drafted was granted a payment from their AFL club once they debuted in a league game, much like a finder's fee. This could easily have been given the ar$e in more recent times.

I'm pretty sure the SANFL and the SANFL Club both take a cut, and some is also passed onto their junior club. And it comes in various stages, getting drafted, making debut, playing 25 or 50 games or both.
Mr Beefy
Coach

Has liked: 406 times
Been liked: 651 times
Grassroots Team: Rosewater

Postby DOC » Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:43 am

JK wrote:

Not long ago (ie, within the last 6 months) the SANFL were talking about pooling all income from drafted players and distributing it evenly among the 8 clubs. Im not sure if that's in place, or still being considered etc?

I think this has been in place since the 2014 draft.
DOC
Coach

Has liked: 729 times
Been liked: 2083 times

Postby JK » Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:44 am

DOC wrote:
JK wrote:

Thanks Doc
FUSC
JK
Coach

Has liked: 4458 times
Been liked: 2986 times
Grassroots Team: SMOSH West Lakes

Postby Aerie » Thu Feb 04, 2016 9:58 am

Booney wrote:
Magellan wrote:

While WWT have an outstanding record of having players drafted to AFL level, I can't believe they would see that as anything close to winning the SANFL Premiership. Might have been a little different when SA based AFL talent was still aligned to their local clubs, teams like the Eagles had quite a few at Adelaide and Port and they would bring experience, work ethic etc to the club and I think set high standards.

On having talent come to your zone, there's no point taking kids just to develop them to the next level, they're gone by the time they're 18 ( the top end talent, anyway ) and you get no service from them at senior level.

Not sure about the draft and any monies paid, Magellan, I'll see if I can find out.

In terms of off-field, that was the impression I got. Yes, do everything to put in place the things to win a premiership at senior level, but just as important was the role of player development and being the best pathway possible for individuals in the Eagles zone to progress to AFL level. Obviously the football department at senior level would be more interested in a senior premiership - but the club as a whole seemed to place equal importance to both. I don't have a problem with that, but changes things if AFL clubs now develop the best junior players.
Aerie
Coach

Has liked: 147 times
Been liked: 504 times

Postby UK Fan » Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:06 am

fester69 wrote: I'm full of "pish and wind" !!You can call me weak !!

MW wrote: Well call me a special asshole!.

Booney wrote: I'm a happy clapper **** stick.

THE SKY HAS FALLEN!!!!
UK Fan
Coach

Has liked: 1202 times
Been liked: 502 times

Postby Mickyj » Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:26 am

Aerie wrote:
Booney wrote:
Magellan wrote:

In terms of off-field, that was the impression I got. Yes, do everything to put in place the things to win a premiership at senior level, but just as important was the role of player development and being the best pathway possible for individuals in the Eagles zone to progress to AFL level. Obviously the football department at senior level would be more interested in a senior premiership - but the club as a whole seemed to place equal importance to both. I don't have a problem with that, but changes things if AFL clubs now develop the best junior players.

Just for Booney ( not picking on him) my understanding from reading online posts ex AFL player Redden has supposedly said no way would he go back to Port Adelaide on the rookie list . Guess that shows SANFL league is a better place than a redrafted player on a rookie list .
I think looking at the Eagles ( I've been behind this year ) it's a community family club . Hell it improved with Godden talking to fans members yes Fuller did but not to everyone he sat near me in the seconds never a word of get out the way or anything , I got more speech from AFL scouts lol .
Guess being a community family club is far better .
Interesting that port Adelaides area is know an Eagles zone .
Guess we saw online players taken from North to Port when they left Port went back to north . Cause north is more community based .

That community thing is what's missing in the AFL based teams
Ain't seen the huge crowds promised by Adelaide
And Port only nearly seen a huge crowd when the sponsor put a car after that nope .

Guess the Eagles ( I know of ) can be laughed at or criticised but those ex AFL players wanna come home .
Oh and those thrown out of port Adelaide come up port rd or the other clubs
Land based Lure Bream Fisherman
PB
Hardbody Bream 38cm
Hardbody Mulloway 40cm
Softplastic Bream 38cm
Fly Bream 30cm
Mickyj
Coach

Has liked: 154 times
Been liked: 22 times

Postby bennymacca » Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:57 am

From a Crows perspective you certainly used to hear WWT fans speak with pride about how many of their products were playing for the Crows.
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby heater31 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:39 pm

DOC wrote:
JK wrote:

Correct all 8 stand alone SANFL clubs get a flat fee each year doesn't matter if 4 of your players get drafted or 0. No more tiered payments to SANFL Club or Community clubs anymore.
heater31

Has liked: 525 times
Been liked: 1263 times

Postby Booney » Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:52 pm

From what I read these aren't really "academies" as we would all see them.The new "zones" are laid out for the clubs to identify talent from non-traditional football backgrounds and indigenous background.

For boys and girls aged 11-16. From what I read it's likely to help the clubs below the AFL level ( SANFL, WAFL etc ) as the funding will be looking at an age group that the AFL clubs can't offer game time too.

ie - a 15 year old lad from Port Lincoln might spend some time at Adelaide learning about professional football and what is required, but they have nowhere for him to play, so, off to Norwood ( yes?) he goes until he is of draft age and Adelaide use points ( in the new points system ) to have the first bid at him.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Mr Beefy » Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:58 pm

Booney wrote:From what I read these aren't really "academies" as we would all see them.The new "zones" are laid out for the clubs to identify talent from non-traditional football backgrounds and indigenous background.

For boys and girls aged 11-16. From what I read it's likely to help the clubs below the AFL level ( SANFL, WAFL etc ) as the funding will be looking at an age group that the AFL clubs can't offer game time too.

ie - a 15 year old lad from Port Lincoln might spend some time at Adelaide learning about professional football and what is required, but they have nowhere for him to play, so, off to Norwood ( yes?) he goes until he is of draft age and Adelaide use points ( in the new points system ) to have the first bid at him.

Come on Booney, don't go reading the AFl propaganda, it is all about the imminent death of the SANFL
Mr Beefy
Coach

Has liked: 406 times
Been liked: 651 times
Grassroots Team: Rosewater

Postby Booney » Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:18 pm

Mr Beefy wrote:
Booney wrote:From what I read these aren't really "academies" as we would all see them.The new "zones" are laid out for the clubs to identify talent from non-traditional football backgrounds and indigenous background.

Come on Booney, don't go reading the AFl propaganda, it is all about the imminent death of the SANFL

Yes, you're right.

These academies will be the death of the SANFL. Without question. All the 11 year old girls and boys set to make their way through the ranks at SANFL clubs are now going to be drafted before the SANFL gets any service from them.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Postby Magellan » Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:27 pm

Booney wrote:These academies will be the death of the SANFL. Without question. All the 11 year old girls and boys set to make their way through the ranks at SANFL clubs are now going to be drafted before the SANFL gets any service from them.

Too late. My club's results from last year suggest we've already experimented with 11 year old boys and girls.
Magellan
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:32 pm

Magellan wrote:
Booney wrote:These academies will be the death of the SANFL. Without question. All the 11 year old girls and boys set to make their way through the ranks at SANFL clubs are now going to be drafted before the SANFL gets any service from them.

Too late. My club's results from last year suggest we've already experimented with 11 year old boys and girls.

didnt realise you supported the catholic church footy club
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Next

Board index   Football  SANFL