Spencer Gulf League

Talk on any country footy league or club from the SA Country area

Re: Spencer Gulf League

Postby The Angry Bull » Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:37 pm

Thoughts now we have reached the half way point?

Lions are looking hard to stop.
Ports have genuine quality, I wonder how the loss of snook for the remainder will be handled (IMO he hasn't done too much against us... Inglis has always been the danger man).
I think Centrals are starting to lose thier buzz, coughed up a lead at home to sollies... injuries also causing issues.
Westies, well it all depends on if they decide to play on the day, good side with quality players, just not getting the results.
Sollies look quick, just like Lions, but IMO I think they are the 3rd pirie side.
Southies a bit like the other PA sides, the form has been too indifferent.

I would be surprised if it wasn't an all pirie final
The Angry Bull
Under 16s

Has liked: 50 times
Been liked: 11 times
Grassroots Team: Central Augusta

Postby daysofourlives » Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:09 pm

The Angry Bull wrote:Thoughts now we have reached the half way point?

Ports have genuine quality, I wonder how the loss of snook for the remainder will be handled (IMO he hasn't done too much against us... Inglis has always been the danger man).
I think Centrals are starting to lose thier buzz, coughed up a lead at home to sollies... injuries also causing issues.
Westies, well it all depends on if they decide to play on the day, good side with quality players, just not getting the results.
Sollies look quick, just like Lions, but IMO I think they are the 3rd pirie side.

Surely you jest TAB, Dogga Woodards is the man at Ports
Supercoach Spring Racing Champion 2019
Spargo's Good Friday Cup Champion 2020
daysofourlives
Coach

Has liked: 2415 times
Been liked: 1657 times
Grassroots Team: Angaston

Postby maxi » Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:16 pm

Unbelievebly close league had a look at the double header Saturday impressed with all four sides.
maxi
Rookie

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 8 times

Postby The Angry Bull » Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:29 am

daysofourlives wrote:
The Angry Bull wrote:Thoughts now we have reached the half way point?

Surely you jest TAB, Dogga Woodards is the man at Ports

Hahaha you're right days, Dogga is very hard man to stop. Good footballer, great bloke
The Angry Bull
Under 16s

Postby banterfordays » Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:22 pm

When do finals start, doing some work here and wouldn't mind catching a game
banterfordays

Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 5 times
Grassroots Team: Flagstaff Hill

Postby The Angry Bull » Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:55 pm

banterfordays wrote:When do finals start, doing some work here and wouldn't mind catching a game

Finals start this week. Lions v Centrals in Pirie on the Saturday and Wests v South in Port Augusta on the sunday.

in Medal news-

Nick Collins from Wests won by 10 votes from Jack Muirhead of Centrals in the ones
Terrence Pellegrini from Lions pipped Jarred Mudge from Sollies in the twos

Inglis and Mellow leading goal kickers in their respective grades
The Angry Bull
Under 16s

Postby footymusic » Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:40 am

So the silly season is over and all clubs have started pre-season, I assume.
Recruiting should have all been done by now and the only club I have heard of doing ok in this dept is Ports, with an ex B&F winner from recent times returning, a top quality Whyalla on-baller and a solid ruckman, the brother of a key Port defender, while also keeping the majority of last years side, which wasn't far off the mark in terms of competitiveness.
Sollies appear to be having trouble recruiting, which is not a good sign for the bottom club of last year, Lions are quiet, prob hoping last years side stays together for a back to back tilt, Pt Augusta clubs may struggle with the loss of employment in that town, but would be a foolish punter to write them completely off.
footymusic

Been liked: 0 time
Grassroots Team: Renmark

Postby The Big Shrek » Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:34 pm

I hear Vinny Urbancic is playing at South Augusta. Marquee Playa apparently.
The Big Shrek
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 366 times

Postby The Angry Bull » Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:46 am

The Big Shrek wrote:I hear Vinny Urbancic is playing at South Augusta. Marquee Playa apparently.

Yep, he is signed sealed and delivered. Trained with them for a short period last year I believe
The Angry Bull
Under 16s

Postby The Angry Bull » Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:49 am

footymusic wrote:So the silly season is over and all clubs have started pre-season, I assume.
Recruiting should have all been done by now and the only club I have heard of doing ok in this dept is Ports, with an ex B&F winner from recent times returning, a top quality Whyalla on-baller and a solid ruckman, the brother of a key Port defender, while also keeping the majority of last years side, which wasn't far off the mark in terms of competitiveness.
Sollies appear to be having trouble recruiting, which is not a good sign for the bottom club of last year, Lions are quiet, prob hoping last years side stays together for a back to back tilt, Pt Augusta clubs may struggle with the loss of employment in that town, but would be a foolish punter to write them completely off.

I've heard from one of Lions key forwards that there has been a couple additions to the side, doesn't believe them to be anything of the ilk of Edwards or Fuller but will add depth.

As for Port Augusta, the trans has already uploaded an article but it appears as though Westies has recruited the quality and Southies the numbers (they have recruited an entire team, although lost an entire team), Centrals nothing really.
The Angry Bull
Under 16s

Postby footymusic » Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:58 am

"Southies the numbers (they have recruited an entire team, although lost an entire team)"

Pls elaborate on this quote Angry Bull sounds interesting!
footymusic

Grassroots Team: Renmark

Postby The Angry Bull » Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:54 pm

footymusic wrote:"Southies the numbers (they have recruited an entire team, although lost an entire team)"

Pls elaborate on this quote Angry Bull sounds interesting!

Southies have an extensive list of ins from various avenues. There are a number of former juniors who will be making the trip from Adelaide each weekend as well as a couple who have recently moved back after completing studies or travelling last year. They have also beaten Centrals to the new teachers into the town this year (Old Gilb has a lot to answer for there :lol: ) and there is still some new faces rolling into the Power Station to prepare for shutdown who have all signed on the dotted line. A new teacher from Quorn who is a giant as well.
The Angry Bull
Under 16s

Postby maxi » Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:45 pm

Looks an even comp 3 results all less than a goal in openng round
maxi
Rookie

Been liked: 8 times

Postby GOT » Tue May 17, 2016 2:37 pm

friendly bit of banter doing the rounds on social media
GOT
Mini-League

Postby The Angry Bull » Fri May 20, 2016 10:17 am

GOT wrote:friendly bit of banter doing the rounds on social media

Great viewing for the spectator, however I think a number of comments have since been deleted

I really hope our games doesn't clash with the South v Ports game next round, should be some fireworks
The Angry Bull
Under 16s

Postby The Angry Bull » Fri May 20, 2016 10:19 am

maxi wrote:Looks an even comp 3 results all less than a goal in openng round

You would think it would remain fairly even, as it was last year, with some reshuffling of the order of sides.

Lions to remain the strongest contenders, for mine, I think Westies have the greatest upside of the rest of the challengers
The Angry Bull
Under 16s

Postby GOT » Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:04 pm

Combined football appears to be on its last legs. SGL having a lot of initial squad members making themselves unavailable. Will be interesting to see if this will be the last year the match v Whyalla takes place.
Was lucky to put in the program at the beginning of the year by all accounts due to the lack of harmony between SGL reps from both PA & PP (seems to be a common occurrence) and also Whyalla. Any ideas on how to get this to thrive?
Cameron Redden had been keen to give the players selected some incentive to put their hands up and commit to the cause. I know Ports and Damien Mellow had been strong on this the past couple of years making an effort to get the best players to play. He certainly promotes the likes of Inglis, Neary who have represented a couple of times.
GOT
Mini-League

Postby PuttingBStorest » Thu Jun 09, 2016 12:03 am

GOT wrote:Combined football appears to be on its last legs. SGL having a lot of initial squad members making themselves unavailable. Will be interesting to see if this will be the last year the match v Whyalla takes place.
Was lucky to put in the program at the beginning of the year by all accounts due to the lack of harmony between SGL reps from both PA & PP (seems to be a common occurrence) and also Whyalla. Any ideas on how to get this to thrive?
Cameron Redden had been keen to give the players selected some incentive to put their hands up and commit to the cause. I know Ports and Damien Mellow had been strong on this the past couple of years making an effort to get the best players to play. He certainly promotes the likes of Inglis, Neary who have represented a couple of times.

Ive often thought about this and with the money the better players receive these days { and who are therefore the most likely to make the interleague teams} the incentive to play needs to be something that a dollar value cant be placed on. I was lucky enough to play some Interleague footy in my time {quite a while ago now} and the one tangible thing I still have is a tracksuit top with the Interleague Team Association Name and year on it. Occasionally I get it out and reminisce {wish it would still fit!!!!}. So - maybe the answer is to have specially made gernseys each year {with the year printed on them} which the players could keep - its certainly something which has to be earned and cant be bought and I reckon these could be sourced much cheaper than they could in bygone years. As the players know the gernsey is theirs they would also have the option to swap it with opposing players if they wanted. Different designs each year would make them unique. Either way - they end up with a bit of nostalgia that has been earned, not bought and will mean something to them forever. Dunno - that's my thoughts anyway - sort of brings back the idea of "playing for the jumper" philosophy.
PuttingBStorest
Mini-League

Been liked: 3 times

Postby GOT » Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:52 pm

Have to agree with you there PBS. Years ago you used to see old representative guernseys doing the rounds at training couldn't think of a better way for a young kid coming through the ranks to aspire to get their own as the would get to see their clubs leaders/idols wearing them.
players have even offered to buy them for top dollar the last couple of years but it was shut down by the SGL.
the final training would have been last night any news on the team selected?
GOT
Mini-League

Postby PuttingBStorest » Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:10 pm

GOT wrote:Have to agree with you there PBS. Years ago you used to see old representative guernseys doing the rounds at training couldn't think of a better way for a young kid coming through the ranks to aspire to get their own as the would get to see their clubs leaders/idols wearing them.
players have even offered to buy them for top dollar the last couple of years but it was shut down by the SGL.
the final training would have been last night any news on the team selected?

Yep - I can remember doing the same thing when I was just breaking in to the A Grade sides - always aspired to get me one of those association tops that the guys wore to trainings. Having guys actually want to pay for the tops they wear just confirms my thoughts - I reckon they could probably get out of it for about $2,000/team which in the overall context probably isn't a lot (where do the gate takings end up for such games? - maybe this could cover that cost - dunno).

Im not from up your way so unfortunately don't know anything about your associations selections - but good luck to all who make their respective teams - its an honour to be selected and a feather in the cap of all that do.
PuttingBStorest
Mini-League

Been liked: 3 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  Country Footy