Southern Football League

A forum dedicated to the Southern Football League!

Re: Southern Football League

Postby Down the Hill » Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:43 am

SJP wrote:So Brighton Mini and Sunday sides are off to the Amateurs. Is this the start of more clubs leaving the SFL

Can people stop referring to clubs from the old Sunday junior leagues and others such as Brighton as moving to the Amateurs. The former junior leagues consisted of Amateur League clubs (now Adelaide Football League) but the junior set ups at most clubs were virtually totally independent of the Senior and Under 18 arm of the club. Just ask Edwardstown for confirmation of this and stop to think why very strong junior clubs for years such as Plympton has not converted to the Senior club moving above the A3 to A5 grades. I think most of the North East Junior League clubs have not joined because many of those clubs have had a better connection with their Seniors and some may see joining the SANFL as detrimental rather than strengthening the ties to their senior club e.g. TTG, Modbury, Broadview, PNU etc. As far as I'm aware, only Hectorville has joined the SANFL Juniors from that league

If anything the new SANFL Juniors is designed to re-connect juniors with the SANFL competition and their zoned SANFL club to try and strengthen the SANFL because lets face it - in recent years each SANFL club probably has 5 to 10 league quality players from their zone not bothering to play SANFL and just playing for their local club or chasing $$$ in the country. This never happened back in the 70's and 80's and was also a time that the SANFL Reserves was the second strongest senior comp in the State. A decent Reserves player would walk into any A grade side back then and be a very good to dominant player. There are many lads running around the SANFL Reserves these days that wouldn't be an automatic selection for their local clubs A grade team let alone be a stand-out player.

And I'm not saying SFL clubs should run off and join the SANFL Juniors. Brighton has made a decision we believe is right for us as a club whilst not diminishing many on here's idea of desirable affiliation with the SFL and that is 2 Senior and 3 Junior Saturday teams.
Down the Hill
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 276 times
Grassroots Team: Brighton District & OS

Postby Animus » Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:22 pm

the big bang wrote:Wineys have got Greenbank coming in I think?

and THE GOOCH !!
Animus
Under 16s

Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 20 times

Postby norwood8 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:53 pm

Down the Hill wrote:This never happened back in the 70's and 80's and was also a time that the SANFL Reserves was the second strongest senior comp in the State. A decent Reserves player would walk into any A grade side back then and be a very good to dominant player. There are many lads running around the SANFL Reserves these days that wouldn't be an automatic selection for their local clubs A grade team let alone be a stand-out player.

Of course the reserves competition isn't as strong as it was back then, it's just part of the modern environment. In all fairness you would have to be delusional to think that the SANFL reserves isn't the second best competition in the state.
norwood8
Under 18s

Has liked: 85 times
Been liked: 95 times
Grassroots Team: OSB Lonsdale

Postby Look Good In Leather » Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:19 pm

norwood8 wrote:
Down the Hill wrote:This never happened back in the 70's and 80's and was also a time that the SANFL Reserves was the second strongest senior comp in the State. A decent Reserves player would walk into any A grade side back then and be a very good to dominant player. There are many lads running around the SANFL Reserves these days that wouldn't be an automatic selection for their local clubs A grade team let alone be a stand-out player.

Of course the reserves competition isn't as strong as it was back then, it's just part of the modern environment. In all fairness you would have to be delusional to think that the SANFL reserves isn't the second best competition in the state.

Likely the 5-6th best comp in the state, if that
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 284 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby vics01 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:44 pm

Of
course the reserves competition isn't as strong as it was back then, it's just part of the modern environment. In all fairness you would have to be delusional to think that the SANFL reserves isn't the second best competition in the state.

Do tell where the SFL currently sits on this table of competitions??
vics01
Reserves

Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 58 times
Grassroots Team: Cove

Postby am Bays » Thu Feb 11, 2016 1:49 pm

Look Good In Leather wrote:
norwood8 wrote:

from someone who is involved in a SANFL club and umpires in the SFL/GSFL and sees A grade footy at a SFL level

I'm happy to give any SFL club a 10 goal start against South reserves, who would still end up winning by 10 goals.

Yes each SFL club has 2-3 players more than capable of playing League footy but they don't becasue they are either: lacking in motivation to compete and train at SANFL club level, have other personal/professional priorities or just want to chase bigger $$$ compared to $50-$100 Reserves match payments.

Fact remainsfor each SANFL reserves all players would make the A grade at their local club (sorry DTH, you FUCCer ;) ) can't agree with your statement unless you give me examples) but there's 10 players at each SACFL A grade team that have no chance of playing reserves footy or higher.

They're good footballers, enjoying playing with their mates in a good club environment but they aren't senior SANFL quality.

It is the depth of footballer in each of the SANFL reserves teams that makes it a much higher standard than SFL senior footy, A1 footy, GSFL, BL&G FL etc. They're fitter, stronger, better skilled and more tactically aware to a higher level of footy. Reserves footy is played at a much faster speed than the SFL A grade games I see.

Before I posted this I checked the 2016 GF teams in the SFL who played at Glenelg and counted four (that I'm aware of), only one of those would be guarenteed a ressies game if he was still there - Carger. Drew, Venning, Lockett no chance.
Let that be a lesson to you Port, no one beats the Bays five times in a row in a GF and gets away with it!!!
am Bays
Coach

Has liked: 162 times
Been liked: 1809 times

Postby Down the Hill » Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:28 pm

I take back that the Reserves comp is not the second best comp but I do challenge whether every Reserves team would beat the best metro and country clubs. And I wasn't comparing the whole SFL comp to the Reserves but more thinking of some of the teams assembled by clubs like Goodwood, Tanunda, Reynella, Keith and a few others over the last decade.

You are only comparing like for like by seeing Reserves teams play other Reserves teams who all play a similar structure and style based on the modern game. You are overlooking that most Reserves teams are virtually an Under 21 team and would struggle to compete physically and mentally against some of the seasoned players at a strong community/country club particularly on a heavy deck in June/July. I know you worship your beloved Tigers and the SANFL comp amBays, but your views are just as biased in the other direction as any expressed on here. But thanks for your contribution.
Down the Hill
League Bench Warmer

Postby MZ » Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:03 pm

I have played SAAFL A1, SFL, SANFL league and reserves.

All 4 are so different in the way the game is played so comparisons are sometimes difficult.

IMO I still think A1 footy was way harder and tougher than SANFL reserves. Maybe playing on smaller ovals against mature bodies had something to do with it. I would back the top few A1 sides to beat the bottom few reserves sides - especially in the middle of winter at the Bay or Norwood.

Btw, am bays, I reckon you have underrated Venning.
MZ
Mini-League

Has liked: 0 time
Been liked: 0 time

Postby Dutchy » Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:15 pm

I think the top 4 teams in the SFL playing against each other would be comparable to SANFL reserves, certainly better atmosphere!

There were some cracking FHFC/RFC high quality clashes in 2015 and I remember a great HVFC/MPFC game a couple of years ago which ended in a draw.
Dutchy
Site Admin

Has liked: 2324 times
Been liked: 3499 times

Postby Mr Beefy » Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:18 pm

Down the Hill wrote:I take back that the Reserves comp is not the second best comp but I do challenge whether every Reserves team would beat the best metro and country clubs. And I wasn't comparing the whole SFL comp to the Reserves but more thinking of some of the teams assembled by clubs like Goodwood, Tanunda, Reynella, Keith and a few others over the last decade.

You are only comparing like for like by seeing Reserves teams play other Reserves teams who all play a similar structure and style based on the modern game. You are overlooking that most Reserves teams are virtually an Under 21 team and would struggle to compete physically and mentally against some of the seasoned players at a strong community/country club particularly on a heavy deck in June/July. I know you worship your beloved Tigers and the SANFL comp amBays, but your views are just as biased in the other direction as any expressed on here. But thanks for your contribution.

Didnt Goody Saints play Port's "Academy" side in a trial game last year and get a touch up?
Mr Beefy
Coach

Has liked: 406 times
Been liked: 651 times
Grassroots Team: Rosewater

Postby Down the Hill » Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:20 pm

Don't let facts get in the way of a good story Mr Beefy. The trial game was last year and was against the Port SANFL team which included AFL listed players who had played little or no NAB Challenge game time. Port won 19 goals to 2 goals whilst not forgetting that the Port SANFL team were Grand Finalists the season before.
Down the Hill
League Bench Warmer

Postby Mr Beefy » Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:25 pm

Down the Hill wrote:Don't let facts get in the way of a good story Mr Beefy. The trial game was last year and was against the Port SANFL team which included AFL listed players who had played little or no NAB Challenge game time. Port won 19 goals to 2 goals whilst not forgetting that the Port SANFL team were Grand Finalists the season before.

It was a question.
Mr Beefy
Coach

Has liked: 406 times
Been liked: 651 times
Grassroots Team: Rosewater

Postby vics01 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:29 am

DTH

Maybe you should move to Decaf Latte for a while!!
vics01
Reserves

Postby Look Good In Leather » Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:58 am

Down the Hill wrote:I take back that the Reserves comp is not the second best comp but I do challenge whether every Reserves team would beat the best metro and country clubs. And I wasn't comparing the whole SFL comp to the Reserves but more thinking of some of the teams assembled by clubs like Goodwood, Tanunda, Reynella, Keith and a few others over the last decade.

I read into this that maybe Brighton are not looking to move to the "Amateurs", but instead are looking to join the AFLSA competition when Glenelg inevitably collapse.
Look Good In Leather
League - Best 21

Has liked: 150 times
Been liked: 284 times
Grassroots Team: Christies Beach

Postby vics01 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:33 am

LGIL

How many players will be missing or wearing bracelets as a result of the Saturday night antics in Hindley Street??
vics01
Reserves

Postby Esteban Vihaio » Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:58 pm

vics01 wrote:LGIL

How many players will be missing or wearing bracelets as a result of the Saturday night antics in Hindley Street??

Not sure what happened, but if any end up down at Grand Junction road, you could look at filling a combined side :D
Where's Bill? Yeah... Hmm... Bill is on the Villa Quatro, on the road to Salina. I will draw you a map.
Esteban Vihaio
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 36 times

Postby vics01 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:11 pm

EV
Not sure what happened, but if any end up down at Grand Junction road, you could look at filling a combined side

Wondered how long it would take for you to come out from under your rock
vics01
Reserves

Postby godra » Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:50 am

vics01 wrote:
EV
Not sure what happened, but if any end up down at Grand Junction road, you could look at filling a combined side

Banter
godra

Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 3 times

Postby Esteban Vihaio » Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:09 am

vics01 wrote:
EV

As soon as you picked up that rock to threw it at glasshouses. Is there a more inappropriate club to be lecturing others given the roles models down at Doctors road?
Where's Bill? Yeah... Hmm... Bill is on the Villa Quatro, on the road to Salina. I will draw you a map.
Esteban Vihaio
League Bench Warmer

Has liked: 89 times
Been liked: 36 times

Postby Luke15 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:40 am

Just saw on Clearance list that The Shoes have lost the son of a LIFE MEMBER to Encounter Bay.

Must be devastating to lose someone who means so much to the club hey SHOEBOY. ;-)

Mulroney to Encounter Bay
Luke15
Rookie

Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 18 times

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  Other Footy Leagues  SFL