Garry Lyon - serious mental health condition.

Talk on the national game

Re: Garry Lyon - serious mental health condition.

Postby BoundaryRider84 » Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:32 am

Lightning McQueen wrote:
mighty_tiger_79 wrote:Any chance The Footy Show may decide to take a more serious look at matches instead of giving them 45 seconds....

That's why I like "Footy teams" I think it's called on Fox Thursday nights.
An hour show that spends about 6 minutes on each game without all the glam and non-football related crap.

League Teams
WE ARE GEELONG!
BoundaryRider84
League - Best 21

Has liked: 90 times
Been liked: 223 times
Grassroots Team: Freeling

Postby amber_fluid » Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:50 am

Booney wrote:A couple of things from this.

If so many of you like Lyon, at least give him the decency of some time and space to sort out his own issues.

If indeed he has a serious mental illness the attacks on here show how immature society still is in handling these matters, regardless of the catalyst.

Finally, people still watch the footy show? Surely they've worked out who has the smallest dick by now?

Not sure anyone is attacking him about his mental health issues..............
As for rooting his good mates misses behind his back, it's now open slather I say.......... You make ya bed, you lie in it!!!!!

And I don't like Lyon anyway ;)
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
amber_fluid
Coach

Has liked: 2228 times
Been liked: 2523 times

Postby Lightning McQueen » Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:18 am

BoundaryRider84 wrote:
League Teams

Thanks mate, that's the one, it's been too long.
HOGG SHIELD DIVISION V WINNER 2018.
Lightning McQueen
Coach

Has liked: 4347 times
Been liked: 7926 times

Postby whufc » Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:42 pm

If so many of you like Lyon, at least give him the decency of some time and space to sort out his own issues.

If indeed he has a serious mental illness the attacks on here show how immature society still is in handling these matters, regardless of the catalyst.

Finally, people still watch the footy show? Surely they've worked out who has the smallest dick by now?

I agree with that but do we think we now over diagnose mental health illness these days.

Its starting to remind me a lot of ADHD where nearly every second child with behaviour problems is being diagnosed with it.

Just because you sneeze a couple of times doenst mean you have a cold.

I fear that if we start over diagnose all we will do is harm the people who are truly affected by mental illnesses.

This isnt to say Lyon doesn't suffer from mental illness but geez i think his actions are piss poor (as bad as it comes in the brother hood) and he should be feeling a bit sorry for himself right about now.
RIP PH408 63notoutforever
whufc
Coach

Has liked: 5591 times
Been liked: 2531 times
Grassroots Team: BSR

Postby Booney » Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:55 pm

whufc wrote:

I agree with that but do we think we now over diagnose mental health illness these days.

Its starting to remind me a lot of ADHD where nearly every second child with behaviour problems is being diagnosed with it.

I fear that if we start over diagnose all we will do is harm the people who are truly affected by mental illnesses.

This isnt to say Lyon doesn't suffer from mental illness but geez i think his actions are piss poor (as bad as it comes in the brother hood) and he should be feeling a bit sorry for himself right about now.

"We" over diagnose? Clinical support, SA Footy style.
PAFC. Forever.

LOOK OUT, WE'RE COMING!
Booney
Coach

Has liked: 7494 times
Been liked: 10781 times

Postby whufc » Tue Feb 16, 2016 4:05 pm

Booney wrote:
whufc wrote:

"We" over diagnose? Clinical support, SA Footy style.

What im saying is it seems to be getting used a fair bit these days as a 'get out clause' whether that be a 'famous' person looking for space (which isnt necessarily a bad thing) or a criminal looking to get less of a punishment in the justice system.
whufc
Coach

Postby Grahaml » Tue Feb 16, 2016 4:27 pm

Current expert opinion suggests mental health issues are far more prevalent than the clinical diagnoses would indicate. Not sure how you can say that we're over diagnosing. History may tell us the experts are wrong and there's more to it, we all know experts have been wrong once or twice. But they are experts for a reason.

The whole ADD issue seems to be resolving in the manner that several disorders were given the same name, but that most of the time there was a genuine issue. The problem seems to be more in the solution rather than the diagnosis with a lot of kids on medication that was harmful rather than helpful.
Grahaml
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 169 times

Postby whufc » Tue Feb 16, 2016 4:47 pm

Grahaml wrote:Current expert opinion suggests mental health issues are far more prevalent than the clinical diagnoses would indicate. Not sure how you can say that we're over diagnosing. History may tell us the experts are wrong and there's more to it, we all know experts have been wrong once or twice. But they are experts for a reason.

The whole ADD issue seems to be resolving in the manner that several disorders were given the same name, but that most of the time there was a genuine issue. The problem seems to be more in the solution rather than the diagnosis with a lot of kids on medication that was harmful rather than helpful.

Yeah maybe over diagnose wasn't the correct wording but i guess what im getting at is that mental illness seems to be getting used a lot more in cases where people may be looking to 'lower, down play etc their consequences for certain actions'

If i was to go and start sleeping with my mates misses at what point do i go from being some one who 'feels guilty and not great about myself' which is a natural reaction once i realised what a shit act i did to someone who has 'mental illness'.
whufc
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Tue Feb 16, 2016 4:51 pm

whufc wrote:
Yeah maybe over diagnose wasn't the correct wording but i guess what im getting at is that mental illness seems to be getting used a lot more in cases where people may be looking to 'lower, down play etc their consequences for certain actions'

If i was to go and start sleeping with my mates misses at what point do i go from being some one who 'feels guilty and not great about myself' as i should feel from doing those actions to someone who has 'mental illness'.

could be the other way round too - person has pre-existing undiagnosed (or unreported in the media) mental health issues, deals with them in inappropriate ways, like banging mate's missus, or going on a bender etc, then we find out about both issues at once, and it looks like one is used as a cover for the other.
bennymacca
Coach

Has liked: 2253 times
Been liked: 1803 times

Postby whufc » Tue Feb 16, 2016 4:55 pm

bennymacca wrote:
whufc wrote:

If i was to go and start sleeping with my mates misses at what point do i go from being some one who 'feels guilty and not great about myself' as i should feel from doing those actions to someone who has 'mental illness'.

could be the other way round too - person has pre-existing undiagnosed (or unreported in the media) mental health issues, deals with them in inappropriate ways, like banging mate's missus, or going on a bender etc, then we find out about both issues at once, and it looks like one is used as a cover for the other.

It very well could be which makes it a complex issue.

Im diagnosed with Bi-polar but have been taught from friends, family and mates that despite of this i cant use it as an excuse for my actions.

In saying that it does explain many things that happened previous to me knowing of my condition yet i feel like i still have to be held accountable for those actions and would never think of washing it off with the old 'i have bi polar'
whufc
Coach

Postby bennymacca » Tue Feb 16, 2016 5:02 pm

I dont think it can be used as an excuse, but can possibly be used to contextualise the issues.
bennymacca
Coach

Postby whufc » Tue Feb 16, 2016 5:14 pm

bennymacca wrote:I dont think it can be used as an excuse, but can possibly be used to contextualise the issues.

Exactly and from the knowledge of discovering how they work the person can understand how they react in certain situations and what trigger points to look for. The next step from that is learning what to do avoid your actions taking over and becoming destructive in your environment.
whufc
Coach

Postby Magellan » Tue Feb 16, 2016 5:22 pm

Has Gazz got plans to romance Caroline Wilson too?
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby marbles » Tue Feb 16, 2016 5:30 pm

Woman breaks up from husband

Woman distraught emotionally unstable

Woman is very close friend with premiere gentleman highly articulate huge media profile man, and an already highly entwined relationship exists from over the years

Womans insecurity pokes at her very close long term friend highlights turmoil in her life to him. He as friend becomes concerned it plays on his mind of her state. He feels obligated to attend to her, to check on her

She finds strength in his warmth, she pleeds would it be ok to catch up. They meet, she breaks down in her frailty balling her eyes out. He has no choice but to hold her.

Woman in his arms begins kissing his neck leads to then moves to his lips, he backs off but she refuses and continues. Years of sexual attraction between the 2 finds an outlet to entwine and enlope. Raging lust causes them to cross the moral line

Woman now has her claws in the forbidden fruit, she seduces and reels him in for more. Desire leads them both to wanting more and more despite knowing it has to stop. More and more encounters occur

Woman got her prey, man ends up in mental home due to sheer anxiety and guilt after being seduced and over powered by a lusting woman he has secretly adored for many many years haha :)

Maybe she is seeking vengence and hurting billy in the best possible way?

Gary is a victim of evil woman haha
marbles
Assistant Coach

Has liked: 276 times
Been liked: 259 times

Postby bennymacca » Tue Feb 16, 2016 5:35 pm

sounds like a Mills & Booney novel
bennymacca
Coach

Postby Magellan » Tue Feb 16, 2016 5:37 pm

bennymacca wrote:sounds like a Mills & Booney novel

Or "Fatal Attraction". Lock up your bunnies!!
"Religion is like a blind man looking in a black room for a black cat that isn't there...and finding it." - Oscar Wilde
Magellan
Coach

Has liked: 757 times
Been liked: 1517 times

Postby Bounce of the ball » Tue Feb 16, 2016 5:52 pm

To say someone is hiding behind a mental health issue is dumb and ignorant. This mentality is quite weak and considering all the publicity and education surrounding this issue you would think people would be smart enough to realise the potential consequences.
Bounce of the ball
Reserves

Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 65 times

Postby whufc » Tue Feb 16, 2016 5:57 pm

Bounce of the ball wrote:To say someone is hiding behind a mental health issue is dumb and ignorant. This mentality is quite weak and considering all the publicity and education surrounding this issue you would think people would be smart enough to realise the potential consequences.

The problem is people see incidents like the Cy Walsh one and feel that there is a 'stigma' surrounding hiding behind mental illness to receive compassion etc etc. (im not trying to compare what Lyon did to what Cy did at any level)
whufc
Coach

Postby Bounce of the ball » Tue Feb 16, 2016 6:50 pm

Hiding behind it is a very strange and stupid comment. Might wish to research it and even read a bit about things. A very low individual would suggest that.
Bounce of the ball
Reserves

Has liked: 26 times
Been liked: 65 times

Postby whufc » Tue Feb 16, 2016 6:58 pm

Bounce of the ball wrote:Hiding behind it is a very strange and stupid comment. Might wish to research it and even read a bit about things. A very low individual would suggest that.

Im not saying he is but it is easy how to see how people may come to that conclusion in that day and age.

I'll ask you 'at what point does feeling guilty and unhappy about the way you acted go from being a natural consequence of an action to becoming mental illness'
whufc
Coach

PreviousNext

Board index   Football  AFL